Why are British actors so much better at American accents than American actors are at English accents?

Why are British actors so much better at American accents than American actors are at English accents?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Hi-rejaoP7U
youtu.be/O7wTlwo3j1E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Mommy Mommy milky time!

American accent is baby tier. Just speak like a moron chewing gum and you have nailed it

Why do British people add "r"s to everything?

>there is only one American accent

better breeding

>Aluminiur
>Colourr

Kek,also all brit ppl can do is the generic Cali accent and all Americans can do is the generic Londoner accent.
Both are boring

honestly I'll tell you why
>its easier to simply pronounce the letters H and R than it is to showly bowly rucksy suggah dib it

apparently we took the letters H and R when we declared independence

seriously just watch a proper scottish or midlands accented film. you need fucking subtitles.
>Maaa izzz UUUURRRR hUUUSSS

They aren't. They usually have the "generic" American accent and when they try regional American accents, it's usually cringe worthy bad.

Watching the wife in Ray Donovan try to pull off a Boston accent is insufferable.

They are terrible at them, American accents are just less regional thus not as obnoxious when pronounced incorrectly.

>hah, if I hold my nose and speak slowly I'm a perfect American!

How come nobody can do an Australian accent?

Because Hollywood is where the money is.

British movies aren't even 20% of the market in the UK. Globally British films are like 7% of the market. Even "British films" are usually American productions. The Full Monty was financed and distributed by 20th Century Fox, so even when Brits hire Brits to make a British movie, all the money comes from and goes to America.

Their country just isn't big enough to sustain anything like a big film industry, especially when they share a language with an absolutely gargantuan film industry. There's way too much bleed across and common interests for them to stay independent.

It stands for Royal. It's because everything belongs to the Queen

it's not a accent, it's a attitude

so what you're saying is that the british entertainment industry is cucked in their own country.

This makes sense on so many levels.

Obsessed.

Same reason nobody can shitpost like Australians.

dev patel did a great job in lion

Like what?

This. It's the best aussie accent I've heard

Are British good at imitating other accents like Scottish, Irish or Aussie?

>their hottest chicks are 7's in america
>better breeding
k lol

Because taking the default speech of the human being and making it sound like something else is easier than trying to mask a disability that's been imposed upon them since infancy

Surprised nobody's answered this seriously. You'll notice that when they do this it's for a word that ends with a vowel when the next word begins with a vowel. Adding the R avoids the awkward double vowel sound so the sentence flows better. It's actually really clever and I wish we did it in America.

I asked this question before and received the answer that it's because Brits go to acting school while Americans just wait to receive their big break, which makes a lot of sense to me. I wonder if I got lucky that my thread had serious discussion because this one is filled to the brim with shitposting.

Deoends but yeah they are probably the best at it, also those languages are veyr impresisonable. Lots of people who get scottish or irish roomates will pick it up. But we have an overwhelming number of accents over very small distances so we probably have good ears for them. In Sheffield I could happily identify where someone grew up in the city itself, it's that fine tuned.

American accents are just easier, you lose the twangyness of the english and actually use your Ts and you're done.

Meanwhile if an American wants to try English they have to drop the Ts, not use certain letters like H in certain words, have high pitches when starting sentences etc

Because most people don't have sunstroke

I had a massive crush on her when I was younger while watching californication

like fucking massive. jesus

>apparently we took the letters H and R when we declared independence
Herb

it's easier to learn how to speak normal than it is to learn how to speak weird

Brits are horrible at American accents. All they can do is Hollywood accent which doesn't sound like anywhere in the States.

To be fair, that's all most American actors can do, either. We just don't care, unlike Britfags who get pissy about it due to their inferiority complex.

Why would they want to?

Did you just cuss me out, limey?

AWZEY AWZEY AWZEY OY OY OY

Easy.

I don't know why this meme persists. I can almost always tell when an actor is British trying to do an American accent. It's super obvious. The only reason it might not seem obvious is either people are so used to it, or it's close enough to that boring reporter english that it doesn't matter.

I've seen one or two UK actors who can do a semi-passable American accent, but it's a lot easier to push aside when it's on tv/film. Irl you would place them in no time. And Irish actors seem to be a little better at it than the Brits, actually.

>Irish actors seem to be a little better at it than the Brits, actually.
I'd say the accents are phontetically closer

I agree, when English people do American accents 9/10 times you can tell.

hollywood accent is somewhat close to the generic west coast accent, actually. West coast english is really homogenous, you'd have to have a good ear to tell the difference between someone from LA, someone from Portland, or someone from Seattle or Vancouver. There are differences tho.

I'd say Hollywood is sort of like a blend of southern california english and reporter english, which is totally bleached of any regional accent.

This is really not true at all. Brits are more likely to pronounce a T sound in 'bottle', tho even more likely to just do a glottal stop. Americans more often pronounce 'bottle' with a tap sound, which is similar to a D sound. So sort of like 'boddle' but not quite.

There is also a pretty big difference in vowel useage, and even the stress in some words.

>apparently we took the letters H and R when we declared independenceseriously just watch a proper scottish or midlands accented film. you need fucking subtitles.>Maaa izzz UUUURRRR hUUUSSS

But the Scottish accent is defined by very strong consonants and vowels. They over-enunciate many sounds, with exaggerated R's and H's.

>so what you're saying is that the british entertainment industry is cucked in their own country.

You are disabled. Your mental processing is atrophied to the point where you can only perceive complex socioeconomic phenomena as "cucked" or "uncucked".

Seek help.

There used to be many more regional dialects of American English, but over the last 50 years or so the rise of reporter english has kind of been homogenizing things. Plus regional accents get more and more stigmatized. Brooklyn English, Southern English, midwestern, even Californian a bit, "lol u sound like a dumb valleygirl/surfer dude/stoner"

So yeah, people don't notice as much because our regional dialects are dying out, but also I think because Americans are more used to unrealistic sounding accents in tv/film.

Tho not British, one accent I can think of that I never understood why it wasn't called out, was Olivia on Fringe. Australian actor, and one of the worst American accents I've ever heard.

it's easier to supress an accent than it is to fake it.

british accents are fucking fake

you know this is the truth

There is a case to be made for that, since reconstructions of Shakespearean era British English sound a lil closer to Irish than to modern British English. Plus I guess the waves of Irish immigration had an impact on how American English developed.

And yeah, it always hits me in the face. I can never understand why it doesn't seem obvious to people. Sometimes you can even tell when an actor is Canadian, but that's less obvious than Brits are.

Because there's only one American accent, while there are thousands of British accents.

The ones you hear in popular media are. They're that super polished caricature of how the Royals talk. It's more of a stereotype than anything.

If you hear how most Brits talk, especially those who aren't upper class or celebrities, they sound like cave monster mutants, and are barely comprehensible.

So.Cal accent always sounds like they hit the end of words harder than Hollywood. It's hard to describe, but you notice it more on 2 syllable words.

Benerdick Cumbersnatchs American accent in Doctor Strange made the film nearly unwatchable.

Because for whatever reason Americans think Brits talk as slowly as they do and emulate that.

Michael Caine's opinion.

That's just because most actors aren't locals. They try to assimilate somewhat to the local accent, but it's never quite the same.

I'm talking about locals.

The modern British accent is completely artificial. All the mongs in southern England are speaking bastardizations of RP. Accents not affected by the shift like the west country accent have a lot of similarities with the American accent.

All you have to do is sound dumber

>lore enforcement

Eh I thought you were referring to how they sound in TV/Films. That can probably be explained by the fact that people conflate san fernando/simi valley accents for how everyone in Socal sounds.

So it's like Arabic? Is that the Spanish influence? A couple of the better examples of this accent can be found in Terry Zwigoff, Crumb, etc.

youtube.com/watch?v=Hi-rejaoP7U

You really hear the influence of Chaucer.

Imagine a production of Romeo & Juliet in Original Pronunciation...how would that sound? The play takes place roughly around 1260, so it's near to Chaucer himself.

inbreeding

ftfy

Both are terrible, British people end up sounding like Canadians when they try to do an accent and Americans go too posh

Non shitpost answer here:

American media is so dominant in the UK that you're surrounded by people speaking in American accents from birth. Because of this even kids can pull off a respectable American accent because that's how everyone speaks in the movies and cartoons. In contrast America is exposed to very little British media and even when they are it's usually a non-Brit doing a shit job at it or an actual Brit who's been told to deliberately exaggerate their own accent so That US audiences don't mistake them for Australian or something

Listen to this accent.
youtu.be/O7wTlwo3j1E

>ppl
>>>/niggerbook/

Because 98% of the world's media entertainment is American so the rest of the world are bombarded by American accents constantly. In America, we may hear a foreign accent once every few months (and this includes in tv shows, movies, or music).

This is why it's far easier for the rest of the world to imitate the way we sound than for us to imitate the way you sound.

You never go full retard

Obamer Administration

Nah, you guys have a vowel shift and you turn Ts into Ds. So "bottle" becomes "bahddle", etc

Mainstream meteor

I'm not a language expert but I think the "r" thing is a lasting remnant from the French influence on English, because the French have exaggerated "r" sounds too

Totally different rs, and that's not where it came from. The rhotic shift happened way after French influence peaked.

tbf he has a silly accent even for other brits

Because American media is so dominant world wide. Brits grow up hearing American English all the time so its easier for them to pick up.

We Brits are brought up watching US movies, cartoons, tv shows etc.. by the time we hit our teens it's fucking burned into our ears.

That being said, Emma Watson has the worst American accent ever.

We both know thats not true user, we are the breeding ground for titcow glamour girls and page 3 stunners (see Lucy Pinder). Alternative to that we have the English Rose type (See Imogen Poots). Finally we have the cold hard badasses (See Kate Bekinsale).

Cause you can't unsuck a cock

Why can't they pronounce L's properly?

pretty sure she doesnt age. she looks the same as she does now as she did in ronin

> American accent is baby tier. Just speak like a moron chewing gum and you have nailed it

LAND

Regional dialects are actually on the rise, it's just the older ones are fading. Right now linguists are noticing how the Rust Belt strip from Chicago to nearly Philly are developing a completely separate accent from their neighbors while the upper-midwest is homogenizing into one accent. The Yooper is taking over while the cislacine Rust Belt is developing a Midwest-New England mix.

British actors are just better than American actors in general

Non-Americans are just better than Americans in general.

President Barack O'Bomber

>Lucy Pinder

Dude she's fucking disgusting.

The mom in sixth sense nailed her Stella accent though

It's just intelligence.

The majority of Americans have a below average IQ on the world scale. Most Americans are literally stupid.

An actual fact.

If you deny this you're likely in that majority :)

Here is a list of countries smarter than America: Singapore, South Korea, Japan, China, Taiwan, Italy, Iceland, Mongolia, Switzerland, Austria, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, United Kingdom, Belgium, Canada, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Poland, Sweden and Hong Kong (technically not a country),.

The average American is as smart as the average Latvian.

>Google it..

Doesn't matter how good an Irish accent anybody does, they will always tell you it is wrong. I guess they have nothing else to feel proud of except the way they pronounce shit

brit actors are also cheapr to hire they're like the pajeets of the film industry.

Of all the anglosphere countries, which accent is the most blue collar?

maybe they should start doing it right then

Kelly MacDonald nailed the texas accent

America has a one way relationship with the world. English consumption of American media is normal, but not every American consumes English media, so people in England are more used to American accents than vice versa.