What was the most heartbreaking loss in all of sports?

What was the most heartbreaking loss in all of sports?

I'm not talking about you personally, just as a neutral, what game do you think the players who lost it never, ever, ever recovered from?

For me, it's either Bayern in the 2012 Champions League final, Brazil in the 2014 World Cup, or the Vikings in the 1999 NFC Championship Game.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wbxrAPO0iTg
youtube.com/watch?v=WYt0CwONlXQ
youtube.com/watch?v=aOqGMCWdRMc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008–09_Greek_Cup#Final
youtube.com/watch?v=igoidtPyy6g
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bayern last year was heart breaking, bad call after bad call.

Bayern 99 must have hurt more than 12

Didn't Bayern's players win the CL a year later and the World Cup a year after that? I think they got over it.

My first game without my dad there to watch

1992 NLCS

Panthers Patriots
Atletico de Madrid finals
Chelsea Barcelona Stamford Bridge Scandal
Italy vs Spain Euro 2012

if you count motorsport, I would sale Dale Earnhardt's performance at the 2001 Daytona 500.

He was quite poor that day when he could have won. Made it to the last lap and didn't even finish.He never seemed to recover after this race.

Sweden vs Italy

Crippling mediocrity can be worse than coming close and failing

i don't give a flying fuck about any team that ain't mine and i hope they all burn.

kek

Sweden was objectively better the first leg

1986 ALCS. Donnie Moore never really recovered even though he played two more seasons. In 1988, he shot his wife and himself.

The key was Game 5 of that ALCS, in which Moore have up the lead and lost the game in extra innings.

>rags

2009 Wimbledon.

Kings vs Lakers 2002 obviously. Because of the most blatant rigging in sporting history the Kings franchise went from a likely championship team to the joke of the league with the longest playoff drought in NBA history.

It quite literally destroyed the entire organization from players to coaches to management. No one involved ever recovered.

came here to say this.

The Angels are cursed, dunno how 2002 happened

>2009 Wimbledon.
Roddick played the game of his life ;_;

cormier jones 2

convinced me that however hard you work there will always be a sociopath who is more efficient than you at it
then jones got popped and i was like... huh

Joe Hart never recovered after getting chipped by Pirlo at the Euros

what happened?

Korea - Italy at the Korea WC. It was very unfair.

youtube.com/watch?v=wbxrAPO0iTg

The refs also came out and said it was fixed years later

They never should have taken Mike Witt out of that game

No they didn't. They're not dumb enough to fix a game that everyone is watching.

those are the only games worth fixing.

Holy shit this is disgusting what was the aftermath?

You're actually retarded.
Nothing people just forgot it ever happened

That's where you go the knuckle, when the fix is that obvious.

bayern 2012 alongside Toyota falling apart at the final lap

Euro 04

liverpool milan; imagine being Crespo
>your absolute peak
>scoring two goals in the champions league final
>everything looks amazing, the team is playing like a machine
>gerrard and co. manage to pull a comeback in 6 minutes

>doesn't insult the refs
>doesn't start fights with the Kings
>no one yelling "THIS WAS FUCKING FIXED" from the Kings sidelines
pussies, no one should ever let shit like this happen and stay calm about it

Celtic in the 2003 uefa cup final v Porto. not that any of you teenagers remember it. Loved watching Henrik larsson and he deserved better after scoring two great goals. Mourinho went on to win the cl the following year then moved to chelski

Toyota dying 5 minutes before the end of the 24hr LeMans.

I cried when Czechy lost to Grecja at euro 04

They deserve it for bribing the refs in the league, it's just karma.

those 2 years were such an amazing ride for all us Albertos
>2003 Porto wins UEFA
>2004 Porto wins the CL using our NT backbone
>Euro 2004 at home, NT in top fucking form
>lose against Greece in the final

I dare you to top this one

>lose against Greece in the final (at home)
That's even worse than losing to Denmark. Must have sucked hard. At least you finally won it last year by (kind of) pulling a Greece yourselves.

Paedophile

how has this not been mentioned yet?

It was painful but I fondly remember our road to the final, so I still have a good memory of it
I remember WC 2002 making me cry though, it was just humiliating and back then Figo was like our god, seeing him fold against South Korea was too much

Benfica losing all finals a couple years ago, Bayer Leverkusen doing the same in the early 2000s

Benfica could have won a treble in 2013 but lost out on all three trophies in three weeks.

>First came the critical moment in the Portuguese league on May 11. Benfica were undefeated all season until their penultimate game of the season away at their only title rivals, Porto, who were also yet to lose a match.

Benfica's superior winning record meant they were two points clear and favourites for the title, however, and as the clock ticked into the red with the scores at 1-1 - despite a Benfica own goal - they seemed set to take their lead into the final match of the season.

But up popped Porto's Brazilian star Kelvin two minutes into injury time with an unlikely winner to put his team in the driving seat. Both Porto and Benfica won their final matches of the season, and Porto were crowned champions.

Just a few days later on May 15 came the Europa League final, where they played well against Chelsea and were all set for extra time until Branislav Ivanovic's winning header three minutes into injury time gave the Blues an incredible victory.

Benfica still had a chance at redemption on Sunday, though, as they took on Vitoria Guimares in the final of the Portuguese Cup. Nicolas Gaitan's goal had put them 1-0 up and with 10 minutes left they seemed certain to claim some silverware at last - but Hilal El Arbi Soudani and Ricardo Pereira popped up with late goals to turn Benfica's potential treble into a big, fat zero.

delet

Didn't Valencia lose the CL final twice in a row in 2000 and 2001? I remember Kahn getting the fair play award after the penalty shootout left Valencia's goalkeeper in tears. But instead of celebrating his win, Kahn comforted Valencia's goalkeeper.

pic related

last matchday of the Bundesliga season in 2001
the biggest >Schalkening

That time Schalke lost the league in the last second of the season. It's worse than United because Schalke hasn't won the league once since WOII and I think they had a similar moment in the 90s.

Toyota, LM24.

All other answers are invalid.

There's also Ghana in the 2010 World Cup, but I personally enjoyed what Suarez did, so yeah.

Carsten Cuckelow

That was not heartbreaking. That was either glorious, infuriating or hilarious, depending on whether you like, hate or have no feelings whatsoever for the Patriots, respectively.

reminder that Suarez did nothing ethically reprehensible, he used an option that is given to every player on the field and was punished accordingly

>you now remember Ebba Sand

Ebbe Sand* fuck

WE WUZ SEMI FINALISTS

As a Vikings fan I can agree. The kicker had one bad game where he missed 2 or 3 fgs and since everyone is so scarred by Gary Anderson that people were calling for the killer's head even though they won.

youtube.com/watch?v=aOqGMCWdRMc

GOAT moment

You could even argue that it would've been morally unfair to his own people to not take that risk.

It wasn't heartbreaking because deep down, we all knew it was coming.

>no alarms and no surprises

The correct answer is Super Bowl XXV.

An out-of-nowhere Super Bowl contender team, a franchise who had never won a championship, loses the game on pure human error on the final play of the entire game, feeding another championship to a historically successful franchise

Chelsea v Barcelona, that one

Canizares' whole career went like that

Underrated

I remember watching him sink the ground. That hurt.

This still haunts me in a dream

This

Toni Kroos said it was his worst loss but then quickly bounced back with how he/they got over it with the CL against Borussia and the WC

>heartbreaking
>Brazil in the 2014 World Cup
More like ribbreaking

If you're counting motorsport, then Massa in 2008

>tp
>tf

GLOCK'D

This gook getting wrecked was the true highlight of 2016

based

I can't stand the cunt.

don’t feel bad user, he got to watch the game in heaven with hitler

The third Reich on an indoor bike

Sick ass rhyme, mate

>CTRL+F Zidane
>no results

This one hurt the most. Italy kicked us out of our own world cup and then they pull this off against Zidane in his very last match.
Not gonna lie, I had some tears in my eyes when they showed the shot of him walking past the world cup trophy.

They had a non existing penalty and a off side goal lmao if there was no reffball for both sides real wouldve still won

For me, it's this. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008–09_Greek_Cup#Final

>dat 90 min possible winner
>dat 90+6 equaliser
>dat crazy extra time
>dem penalties

It wasnt sad because he already won in 98

>Blanco, Scocco, Galletti
what

>you now remember matt derbyshire

>Pelletieri, Saja
lmao

>Schalke losing the Bundes by Hamburgs goalkeeper touching a back-pass in the 94 Minute and conceding the following free kick by Bayern

England Iceland was really bad at the time, people were absolutely seething about it

luckily the UK did surprisingly well at the olympics a short time later which took everyones mind off of it

that poor swede

serves him right, he probably believes in open borders for sweeden

This

Mayo in the All Ireland this year has to be up there. And last year too actually. I'll post more detail later. It's tragic.

youtube.com/watch?v=igoidtPyy6g

Australia vs Iran at the MCG, 1997
We hadn't made the world cup in 23 years. We were 2-0 up, cruising to victory, until some fuckwit ran onto the field and tore down the nets. Then Iran scored 2 goals and went through on away goals rule.
Besides when my dog got hit by a car, it's the only time I've ever seen my dad cry.

Tbf Benfica fags were too fucking unbearable that season, so it kind of served them right. They won all domestic cups the following season anyway, so don't you feel bad for them.

If there's a club in Portugal that doesn't need any third party pity it's Benfica, believe me. They're the most privileged club in the country and they're well aware of it.

Any international competition for Argentina since 1990

based max

JUST