Has anyone here seen the Prisoner?

Has anyone here seen the Prisoner?

I just finished watching it. I'm not sure what to think other than that it was very ahead of its time.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hVHqTzyZ-oM
youtube.com/watch?v=LSI0HU6io7I
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2pC1JKwn0Bi2y4v6D6fkrf9roSDrEgcx
m.youtube.com/watch?v=cOPB8bAFxGU
youtube.com/watch?v=8CvURidpkCY
youtube.com/watch?v=AnaQZgZaOkg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

yes

youtube.com/watch?v=hVHqTzyZ-oM

odd series

Twin peaks before twin peaks 2bh

it's a great show, but I understand it's off it's tits to the point it would put a lot of people off watching it.

the final episode pissed off so many people mcgoohan left the country, top kek.

Someone should make a list of "oh fuck we've built up a load of mysteries but we don't know how to end it so let's just go full abstract and tell the audience it's up to their interpretation" core.

I'm sure there's plenty of examples.

best tv show that ever existed (with the exception of the western episode)

Haven't seen the original, but the remake a&e did in the mid 00s was pretty good.
Gave the world the great reaction gif of ian mckellan with a grenade in his mouth.

What the FUCK was its problem?

youtube.com/watch?v=LSI0HU6io7I
KTEH proposes a different episode order viewing.

I thought the ending just meant that they finally broke him and he went crazy

I men, it's not Evangelion's level of depth

Damn interesting show. Some of it is bad. The Girl Who Was Death is terrible. I was hoping for some meaningful wrap up to the mystery in the end and instead it went all dada, no complaints I guess. I need to rewatch it, been a while.

>the remake a&e did in the mid 00s was pretty good
no it wasn't, it was shit, watch the original.

I think it's even ahead of our times.
If only it didn't jump the shark in the last episode.

its funny how no one knows what "jump the shark" means but keeps using it, and uses it to describe instances where they personally stop understanding shows.

The prisoner is based but the last episode isn't that great to be honest

Best science fiction ever shown on TV.

The cinematography in some episodes is fantastic (pictured) and the music is consistently excellent.

It's more than way ahead of it's time - I don't think there's ever been anything else like it since.

I'm not sure why I'm able to forgive the final episode for being almost complete metaphor that makes almost zero narrative sense... Unlike, say, the ending of L O S T... But I just am.

I thought it was quite effective honestly. Would you rather it just ended by revealing all the mysteries? It would miss the point.

I watched it, enjoyed most of it, but I can't remember if I watched in the original order or the order that some guy recommended on the internet.

The last episode explained:

We are all prisoners of ourselves (literally shown by No. 1 bring No. 6). We can never be truly free of the prison we have made for ourselves (the "global village"). But if we maintain our integrity and identity (confront the cabal of white-hooded men who try to co-opt any resistance) we can at least escape some of the constraints placed on us, including overcoming our fears (destruction of "Rover") and possibly by using the same technology we also use to enslave ourselves (the rocket tower blasting off) and strive for something better... But it is a constantly repeating struggle (" be seeing you").

Any questions?

That doesn't explain shit

Source?

or they broke him completely and the only freedom he has is within his own mind.

Shit forgot image

>the cinematoraphy is excellent!!

>aspect ratio'd image

I just want to die.

that was the explanation in the comic if I remember right

Problem Child 2

One of the points of the show is it doesn't matter if the enemy controlled the village or his old employers. Both were after something he couldn't give them because they didn't know what they were looking for. Whether the east or the west was in control, their tactics were going to be the same and their goals would be the same.

He was never going to find out so the viewer was never going to find out. They break him, he dies of old age, the end.

I've got a book about it, with interviews with the writers and creators

It was all I could google at short notice, your Majesty

Kind of sad that everything made between a certain point was that terrible 4:3 aspect ratio. It truly sucks balls.

4:3 is the GOAT aspect.

Fantastic show and indeed way ahead of its time, totally different to so many shows that tried to make similar characters to that of number 6 (patrick mcgoohan is fantastic).

The show had its flaws, mainly lack of variaty and the direction at the end.

Worth a watch though. Also I saw a lotus 7 the other day in the same paint, cool car.

What's some other Britkino?

This and this.

Why should a show about mysteries explain them all? Why must you be told everything? Why must everything be explained? Or even have an explanation?

The English Premiership

Leicester's rise and fall with the redemption ark all in 4k is glorious viewing.

Make sure you start at the playoff semifinal vs Watford a few years back.

>very ahead of its time.
No, People just lost creativity
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2pC1JKwn0Bi2y4v6D6fkrf9roSDrEgcx

I AM NOT A NUMBER

>muh weeb shit is sooooo deeeeeeep

Turns out... little monkey fella

Seriously post more Brit kino

-Danger Man. Some see Drake as Number 6. Some episodes give reason for the resignation. FE: episode "Judgement day". Drake is ordered with incomplete instructions by the British government to rescue a former nazi war criminal (it isn't made immediately clear to him) and the two are marooned in the desert with 3 Israeli executioners.
-Sapphire and Steel; supernatural detective story. I like the writing and the tone.
-The Quatermass Experiment; the 1955 version, not the Hammer one.
-Most of what Gerry Anderson produced. Primarily for the models, set design etc.

The theme of the last episode is definitely madness, but what it actually means is definitely up to interpretation. My take on it is that he actually got away but was mentally scarred by the whole experience, so mentally he was still trapped on the island.

Get the fuck out of here, 16:9 is a meme ratio

aspect ratios are only as good as what is done with them

There are no bad aspect ratios, only bad cinematographers/directors.

Literally England's Evangelion

its essentially 24/7 mind-fuck

very aggressively inventive and futuristic from at cog-sci point of view, as if the writer were on acid periodically

you get a bit of that in the Avengers but not at full dose

Except it's good

Alain Cazarré is probably one of the most knowledgeable guys on TV shows. Worked for national tv channels for while, brought Star Trek: The Next Generation in France, etc. Dude just released a 1000 page book full of showrunners/producers/actors interviews over 40 years. I don't know if any of his stuff has been translated in English though.

(you)

>you will never live in The Village

The Prisoner feels strangely timeless, the setting, writing even the direction it's not like it's contemporaries but you never see it now either

It's not filmed like something from that period.

Yep, That's what I said

>Almost fifty years old

I AM NOT CIA, I'M A BIG GUY!

Be ciaing you!

>tfw I really like the "be seeing you" gesture but would look autistic if I used it

I like this post. This is a good post.

Nope. He escaped "the Village" but he can't escape the "global village" - hence the door to his house in London making the same noise the doors in The Village made - in other words, you can't truly escape the surveillance and information technology world that we now live in - but you can at least stay true to yourself. This is the explanation given by the show's creators, McGoohan was passionate in his beliefs about the constraints of modern society.

Twin peaks
Carnivale
Millennium season 2
John from Cincinnati
The prisoner
The most patrician TV shows imo

Danger man is pretty cool albeit traditional. I think originally Fleming helped create it then worked on the man from uncle. 60s spy shows are very comfy. Original mission impossible is also more patrician than people give it credit for. What struck me the most while re-watching it is how little exposition it has, how it often has long silent scenes. Same with the prisoner. The episode where six escapes on a boat is basically silent. Thats why they feel so timeless. Whereas TV shows from the 80s and after tend to age like milk.

Yes. It's a great show. Good characters and visuals. Even Oda from One Piece used it for his manga.

ASK YOUR QUESTIONS

Who was the best Number 2?

Peter Pan

>They break him
They didn't

They might have. In the penultimate episode it may be that number two actually succeeded in his plan, or that number six just went mental.

>episode where six escapes on a boat

And here it is. Absolutely kino:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=cOPB8bAFxGU

Note the ever-present circular motifs; the sound design; the awesome music and the superb editing

In addition, the final episode recontextualises the exchange in the opening sequence: the response to "Who is Number One?" is revealed to not be "You are Number Six", a deflection, but "You are, Number Six," a truthful answer.

My only issue with that episode is that it seemed to legitimately say that the location was around morocco. There's no way they could have faked that.

I doubt it. The last episode is actually the last trial, the village being not sure what to do anymore. The final reveal is more of a failure for the village, realising its own existence only depends of number 6, to the point he's actually number 1.

They put number 6 in trial along some "failures" as man, showing number 6 as the only one who managed to stand true to his faith and therefore "graduating" from the village.

It's extremely similar to the first ending of evangelion from this point of view.

>In Shrek (2001), the entrance of Shrek and Donkey at the seemingly deserted village of Duloc echoes Number 6's Arrival in the Village. The font on the village's signs in Shrek is the same as in The Prisoner's Village, and the architecture of the buildings is similar as well.

Wow

they also both have the congratulations scene

They should have made a scene of Shinji finding Adam's corpse, removing the mask and seeing a monkey mask.

I kind of want to visit Portmeirion now.

So that show is just a nip ripoff of the prisoner?

Yes. But the prisoner ending is much more complicated even if the subject (coming of age) is the same.

I'll assume weeaboos think it's the best thing ever written anyway.

Speaking of Gerry Anderson, I always like UFO.

Loved that intro theme youtube.com/watch?v=8CvURidpkCY

Let's explain the ending. The REAL ending, not just the monkey mask stuff. The last 5 minutes are extremely clear of what you're supposed to get from this show.

They are 4 leaving the village: The young man (number 48), the man (number 6), the old man (the real number 2) and the dwarf (who's the village).

The young man is flawed, he is a rebel, he is a revolutionary and because of his strong will he can escape but he is doomed to be lost in society, unable to connect with anyone. That's why number 48 is left 20 miles from London, asking for some car to stop and bring him the rest of the way but nobody stop.

The old man is also a failure. He managed to get to the city (wisdom) but goes to the church because he has done too many things and need forgiveness.

The man manage to go to town and his first idea is get rid of the village by going to a cop. Of course the cop doesn't understand and the man, who has now wisdom, let go and goes back home with the village, accepting as part of his life, which was always the case as the door proves it. Number 6 finally accepted the village (himself) and can live as number 1.

>but goes to the church

You fucking idiot. He goes to the houses of parliament.

That's kind of interesting, a little stupid but interesting

Ah yeah sorry, guess it's more of a critic of politics then.

Stop building everything as a fucking gothic church

It's quite an iconic building.

youtube.com/watch?v=AnaQZgZaOkg
The writers tortured Straker. Some of the episodes are good, like Timelash and Mindbender.

I'm a frog, I was raised to see english building as cheap ripoff of our architecture.

Patrick McGoohan appeared in multiple episodes of Columbo including one episode(Identity Crisis) which is peppered with The Prisoner references

It's about the rebels becoming the leaders. Going to the parliament is becoming the establishment after trying to rebel.

Number 48 tries to rebels but realise he needs society, a.k.a the cars, the get anywhere.

Number 6 tried to rebel. That's why, despite being number 1 and by definition the establishment, he refused to cooperate as his alter ego number 6. The ending is number 6 accepting to conforms and becoming number 1 again.

I watched the shitty remake as it was airing but never got round to watching the original

You were raised incorrectly. Notre Dame is trash.

Kettle, there's a call for you. It's the pot. He says you're black.

What are some mcgohan kino?
Just downloaded ice station zebra

Are you sure they couldn't?

No, just thematically similar

>inb4 FUCK WEABOOS XD ANIMAY!

LOST
BSG (kinda)

I think The Red Spectacles has more in common with The Prisoner than EoE.

He's fantastic in Braveheart as Longshanks. He has a low key villain role in Scanners, too.

friend told me he liked it but didn't understand why you wouldn't just rape or kill everyone.

because of big white balls

Rover was kind of a dick

I, Claudius is peak britkino
The Trip might be too British but it's worth a watch
If you like conspiricy thrillers then watch Edge of Darkness, The Shadow Line, Utopia, The Honourable Woman and State of Play
It's an oversaturated genre but if you like police procedurals then watch Cracker and Prime Suspect