Daily Japanese Thread - DJT #1915

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Discuss the process of learning Japanese.

Previous thread:
いつでも今日が、いちばん楽しい日。

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hf1DkBQRQj4
core6000.neocities.org/
youtu.be/wZZ7oFKsKzY
youtube.com/watch?v=g1k88YWPntE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

新しいスレを作って有難う!

死なないようにね、皆様

What the fuck does 気づけば君との旅自宅 mean?

Can someone recommend a good LN for beginners?

I'll take a swing.
''If he realized we could travel home together''

Yes, let's post a single vague sentence with zero context in a language heavily reliant on context.

目覚めた場所
ここはどこでしょう
これから何が
始まるのかな
>気づけば君との旅自宅
>モノクロに輝く楽園へ

It's in a song user

旅自宅? Not 旅支度?

Makes more sense. Thanks user

Someone recommended ココロコネクト to me before when I asked the same question. Haven't read it myself though so I can't say if it's actually easy or not. People also recommend キノの旅 a lot as an easy LN for beginners to read. Again, haven't read it.

I think both are too good to spoil with poor comprehension (based on their anime adaptations) so I'm saving them for when I think I can read them without too many misunderstandings.

You don't need to use the Japanese titling when you're speaking English. Kino's Journey is fine for someone's first reading. If you're worried about comprehension, your first few readings will go over your head anyways. Doesn't mean you can't re-read them when your Japanese is better and understand them in a new light. Kokoro Connect is still an LN, and minus the few outliers like Nisio, most LNs tend to be the same in difficulty (that is, regular written Japanese).
Worst thing you can do is read shit that has zero interest to you and wonder why you're still reading Hanahira after 4 months.

wtf happened to /lang/

>Worst thing you can do is read shit that has zero interest to you
I agree completely. I made so many failed attempts to get started with learning Japanese because of this. I just kept reading through Tae Kim's guide and then trying to read Yotsuba because everyone insisted it was what you were supposed to read as a beginner, but I just had no interest in it. It wasn't that I disliked it, but it wasn't interesting/entertaining enough to be worth the struggle for me, so I would fight my way through it for a few days, get through a few chapters, and then quit because I just had no desire to keep going with it.

Now that I'm reading something I'm actually interested in, I can spend a straight 6 hours at a time reading through it and don't feel like I'm forcing myself for even a second of it.

It's really annoying to think how far I could've come by now if only I'd had the gumption to take the initiative with my learning in the first place instead of mindlessly following the road laid out for me by other people.

>石橋和歩容疑者(25)は6月、神奈川県の東名高速で、ワゴン車の前に車を止めて進路をふさいで事故を引き起こし、ワゴン車に乗っていた萩山嘉久さん(45)と妻の友香さん(39)を死亡させた疑いなどが持たれています.

This is some story about some dude who caused a traffic accident. I don't get the last sentence that says he made these two people were riding in the station wagon die questionably?

>死亡させた疑いなどが持たれています.
What is this saying exactly? How could they died questionably?

>死亡させた
Implying that Ishibashi "might have" (疑い) caused the deaths of the two in the station wagon. "Possible manslaughter".

I thought that might have been the case but isn't it obvious from the circumstances he cause it? Or is it just saying he might get a manslaughter charge.

させた = causitive

senpai you're so cool

no idea famalam

>I made so many failed attempts to get started with learning Japanese
I don't even want to know how much time I wasted with shit like Rosetta Stone and crappy vocab lists for understanding animu without any kanji or hiragana even
then I started with reading parallel texts that were way too hard......

I would save so much trouble and time if I just could restart

bruder

did they completely move to discord or something

As in Sup Forums's /lang/? The text boards were all made read-only years ago.

last /lang/ thread was 7 days ago
my best guess is that they guy who used to make them isn't online lately and everyone's too lazy to just make another one

How come ゆく is so much more popular than いく in song lyrics when it seems to be seldom ever used in daily conversation?

コカコーラ買いにゆこう〜

nope, there was a language general in Sup Forums
sad

にゆこう is easier to hear and understand than にいこう, perhaps. Or maybe it flows better.

I think your question answers itself really, it's probably like all those words that basically are exclusively for literature, poems etc.

>Or maybe it flows better.
I think ゆく sounds better than いく personally, but I figured if Japanese people thought the same then they'd be using ゆく a lot more in daily conversation.

君のいるとこに会いにゆくよ〜
会いにゆくよ〜

youtube.com/watch?v=hf1DkBQRQj4

How do you get that Relearn stat under Answer Buttons?

>tfw the listening practice in genki 2 is too hard for me

keep pressing replay until the flow of sounds starts making sense

if I replay enough times I just memorize what they're saying rather than actually processing what's being said at the time

Where i can find printable core 6k vocabulary list?

I know that. My question was why is 疑い even there?

Don't know why you'd want one, but this probably fits the bill:
core6000.neocities.org/

>core6k
>5999

My inner autist is having a ragefest, every time.

>新しいスレを作って有難う!
shall be 作って”くれて”有難う。
作って might be regarded as objective, I assume.

So what was the stuff you could get really enamored with?
Actually I also think Yotsubato is not proper thing to be recommended as educational material. The way Yotsuba talks is somehow elaborately caricaturing toddlers in order to look more adorable so then it is actually somehow unnatural in fact.
(And yes I personally prefer the author’s previous work)

>isn't it obvious from the circumstances he cause it

It’s almost doubtless that he causes accident. But critical evidence which proves his crime has not been presented yet.
(But police are now gathering testimonies and it’s going to be established)

>させた疑いなどが持たれています
Typical phrase when a criminal matter is broadcasted before its establishment.

This is maybe the most disgusting accidents in these years.
>a man interrupted a way of another car in parking lot.
>one of passengers of the car complained to the man and he dot pissed off.
>the man chased the car and caught, and forced the passengers to get off the car in the midst of highway.
> a truck crashed into the rear of the car and 2 of 4 passengers got killed(killed were the parents of a family and other 2 were daughters, who got injured)
>the man was unwounded and denied his crime.

ひょう = hoo
ひよう = hyoo

Is this right? Please respond.

Could you show English words you intended as the meaning of these words?

ひょう(雹 as an example ) “hyou” means hails.
ひよう(費用)”hiyou” means expense.

There are other words to be pronounced as”ひょう”.
票:vote.
表:chart, or table.

バンプ

Hey guys I come from Sup Forums with a question while I'm trying to learn Nihongo.
Can someone explain to me what is the difference between 起きる目, 覚める & 覚ます?
Also i'm having hard time to figure out if 柔らかい and 軟らか are different.
Is there any difference and are they used differently ? Thanks in advance and have a otouto

>目, 覚める
Well fucked I messed that one up
meant 目覚める

From the 大辞泉:
ゆ・く【行く・逝く・△往く】
[...]
[可能]ゆける◆「いく」の語形も上代からみられ、平安時代以降は「ゆく」と併用される。「ゆく」「いく」はほとんど意味は同じであるが、古くは「ゆく」のほうがより広く使われ、特に訓点資料・和歌(「生く」との掛け詞の場合を除き)では、ほとんどすべてが「ゆく」である。現在では「ゆく」に比べて「いく」のほうが話し言葉的な感じをもち、したがって、「過ぎ行く」「散り行く」など、文章語的な語の場合には「ゆく」となるのが普通である。なお、「ゆきて」のイ音便形「ゆいて」も用いられたが、現在は一般的でなく、促音便形は「ゆく」のほうは用いられず、「いく」を用いて「いって」「いった」となる。
[類語]((1)(2))向かう・赴く・出向く・出かける・足を運ぶ(尊敬)いらっしゃる・おいでになる・おでかけになる・おでましになる (謙譲)参る・参ずる・伺う・参上する
[下接句]後(あと)へも先へも行かぬ・裏の裏を行く・地(じ)で行く・千万人といえども吾(われ)往(ゆ)かん・天馬空を行く・得心が行く・年が行く・捗(はか)が行く・人の一生は重荷を負うて遠き道を行くが如(ごと)し・一筋縄では行かない・目が行く

>覚める & 覚ます
difference between intransitive & transitive

>覚める and 目覚める
you can use both for waking up
for becoming aware of something or noticing something etc. you would use 目覚める as in 責任感に目覚める for example (become aware of one's responsibilities)
覚める is more like returning to sober state or recovering one's senses as in 酔いが覚める (to sober up) for example

oh and you were posting an 妹 いもうと, or at least I hope so

Nah thats a true little brother

How long will it take me to speak Japanese decently? I'm gonna move there in 2 weeks so I'm obviously going to be around natives all the time.

gay

I'm jelly, why are you moving?
As for how long: it depends entirely on how much effort you put into it. There's people who've lived there for years and can barely speak any Japanese or read any kanji. The important thing is to find a reliable instructor/partner (someone who's willing and able to correct you whenever you make a mistake).

Wondering the same question.
My guess is that if you do only japanese 24/7 around 6 months it takes to be decent and maybe 1-2 years to reach medium native levels

>maybe 1-2 years to reach medium native levels

Native level? I think you mean 10-20.

Many retarded gaijin believe they will magically learn Japanese by breathing Japanese air without putting in any work. Don't be one of them. You need to study.

Exactly 143 and a third days.

Cute pupper.

well none of us actually lives in japan, so maybe you should google that question
you should get conversational rather quickly with full exposure, reading is a whole different story though
2bh it's hard to say anything without knowing what you're doing there... do you work all day and have no time for studying? or do you only have other gaijin colleagues etc.

What does 自由で救わてなきゃダメ mean? "You have to be saved by freedom" makes literally zero sense to me...

my jap-german dictionary has a secondary entry for 救う that goes in the direction of becoming enlightened, to deliver (from), freed/liberated... that would be more artsy I guess

6 months to be decently conversational;
2 years to speak with the same agility of a native (though probably still with an accent);
5 years to reach proficiency in all aspects (reading, writing, etc.), given you put in the effort;

After that you can start thinking about sounding like a perfect native.

All this data was taken out of my ass.

when I think about it it's probably just saying "You have to be in a free state of mind"

Native reading/comprehension is around 2000 kanji and 40000 compounds.
Assuming a NEET lifestyle doing 100 words per day thats 400 days per compounds plus 500 words reviews and 20 kanjis per day thats 2000 kanjis in 100 days. Sure I haven't included grammer but it's totally duable.

the question is how are you supposed to learn compounds before learning kanji

do both at the same time

You learn the words in hiragana and katana words plus you should always start with the radicals since it simplifies your life. Use techniques such as castle memory (e.g. 白 is similar with 百 and in japan when you reach the age of 100 its called your white year) described in "Remembering the Kanji")
がんばって

Anki is a fraction of the exposure you need. You're going to need thousands of hours of listening and reading practice on top of that, not to mention speaking. Also, the number of kanji an average native can read can't be lower than 3500, based on what I see used without furigana.

>listening and reading
Anime serves me well on that front as for reading I review on average around 500 unique words per day including the furigana/kanji form. My top is around 200 words per 60 minutes. I don't know where that classifies me as a learner but I've found out that learning first the basics like kanji meaning and on/kun reading as far more helpful than I originally though.

Thanks, does make some sense in context.

死なないで

The suspicion that he caused their deaths.

I just subbed to fujitv.live

Did I make a mistake?

I don't know what that is, don't ask me

Will things get better for me or am I a genuine tard? I've been studying hiragana and katakana for ~4 hours or so and it's taking me 4-6 seconds to recognize each character (with mistakes still). I'm getting beginner frustration and I can't convince myself that I'll get better at this (even though back in my mind I know it will). Also where should I go from there if I do manage to get better? Keep practicing until I recognize them within a couple seconds or go straight to grinding kanji on anki? Grind vocab cards?

>I've been studying hiragana and katakana for ~4 hours or so
Dude, you're not going to learn an entire language in a day. Take it easy.

>4 hours
>I'm getting beginner frustration

>I've been studying hiragana and katakana for ~4 hours or so and it's taking me 4-6 seconds to recognize each character (with mistakes still).
What the fuck were you expecting user? This is fine, you'll get better.

>Also where should I go from there if I do manage to get better? Keep practicing until I recognize them within a couple seconds or go straight to grinding kanji on anki? Grind vocab cards?
No you should be starting to learn grammar. Possibly alongside a vocabulary deck like Core.

I finally got around to transforming all the data into a more useful dataset. So here's a nice little graph. To the surprise of absolutely no one, the most-commonly used words are not nouns/verbs/adjectives/adverbs, but (mostly) particles and sentence-modifiers.

I'd better be getting some (You)'s for this!

Bonus points if you can find the prefix (there's only 1: 御).

no idea what the fuck I'm looking at, but it reminded me of this
youtu.be/wZZ7oFKsKzY

any hints with 引き this thing seems to be used all over the placed in idiomatic expressions and it doesn't look like it means anything

Give examples.
Sometimes people(even Japanese) use it when they are supposed to use 退き instead.

How complete is the data set you have from the frequency dictionary? Does it include the example sentences and the like? Is it available anywhere/do you plan on making it so?

>BR

Is this accurate? I can't into BR so I can't tell if the subs are meme-ing or not.

youtube.com/watch?v=g1k88YWPntE

he is a genuine br monkey, yes
why the fuck are you watching that

ah yes the japanese subtitles seem to be correct, but of course with a lot of creative freedom since bostilian doesn't translate perfectly into japanese

neat

Yeah, I figured, heh. I'll keep at it, thanks lads. I'm guessing Tae Kim is the way to go for grammar?

okay, how do you say 「君は男?それともポップコーンの袋?」 in BR then?

bitches love kanji

>>Oh mister Canada user said right thing.
かんじっさんはゆっくりできないのぜ?
かなだあのんっさんはまたただしいことをいったのぜ?まりさとひらがなでゆっくりおはなしするのぜ?
おはなしのさいちゅうつまむのに、あまあまっをてみやげにしてもいいのぜ?おきづかいっはむようっなのぜ?
ゆっくりしてないで、すぐでも、いいのぜ?

F

对,婊子爱汉字。

状況
状態
Differences?

How did you do it? And how about a chart showing how much % of each PoS comprises this pool? Maybe a pie or bar chart. Nouns are obviously dominating the chart, and when I mine daily they're probably 80% of everything, followed by verbs.

A native said 「寒いせいかな?」 when thinking about the reason why she didn't get enough sleep.

I get it, but is it correct or very informal?
I'd think something like 寒さのせい would be more correct.

まったく小学生は最高だぜ