You can be taught how to take a pretty picture, visual aesthetics are an objective medium

you can be taught how to take a pretty picture, visual aesthetics are an objective medium

it's literally a science, so why do most hollywood movies look like complete dogshit?

actually contrary to popular belief you cannot teach good cinematography

you can teach lighting and all those technical aspects, but to have a good eye is something natural that cannot be taught

t. cinematographer

even the plebbest of plebs can differentiate an ugly shot from a beautiful one

how is it not quantifiable

its just math

identifying quality =/= being able to produce quality

this is the basic tenet and foundation of criticism retard

good critics do not make good creators most of the time. very few critics are actually good creators (or they were prior to being critics, doesnt happen very often as creators usually never stop)

Because people don't like it. They want a movie shot as if they were standing there as events happened, not as if they were looking at an intricate painting. Look at how the Young Pope bombed in America, with everyone calling it pretentious.

i feel most critics would make good producers at least

i also believe artistic instinct can be taught through reinforcement just like anything else

>so why do most hollywood movies look like complete dogshit?
Do they? They're usually very formulaic and boring, but that doesn't mean they look bad necessarily.

Most of them don't look bad, trying to put Marvel movies in the lot is pretty funny considering how many cinematographers in the industry loathe them, most famously Nolan's previous DP

I've only ever watch 2 capeshit movies in my entire life.

Is this really what a modern day blockbuster capeshit? That hammer looks like a fucking foam toy you'd win at a carnival game.

Tell me about Thor, why does he wear the cape?

Seriously, why do capeshit characters wear capes? What's the lore explanation?

Because not every film must be made to cater to artsy pretentious people.

I watch a film, talk about it with my friends, go home and move on

Most of them story wise are kings or descendants of kings

You are objectively a repetative bore with no life.

Around these parts it's implied, normie. Get out.

why

Because they don't have to cater to faggot Eddy kids that think that films have to be filmed in dark lighting and with Instagram filters to be art.

Lol I was just arguing about this with my friend like 15 minutes ago who was saying I was full of shit.

Something legitimately happened between the 80s and now that made mainstream hollywood just lose all sense of fucking skill. I have no fucking idea what it is.

I was saying as well. Name some modern blockbuster hollywood films today that actually have good cinematography or aesthetics beyond Fury Road.... Nope, really pretty much nothing.

From the early 00s you have maybe a few? Lord of the Rings films, Harry potter maybe.

90s in general were a pretty fucking shit time for Hollywood, even worse than now. You have Titanic and Jurassic Park, that's about it.

But then in the 80s, every year is just home run after home run, big budget hollywood films with great cinematography, great scores, great stories, great characters, great aesthetics. Even a kids film like Pee Wee Hermans big day out would be unthinkable in a modern film. What modern Hollywood film even comes close aesthetically to ET or The Goonies? These are fucking KIDS FILMS that blow away modern hundreds of millions of dollars films. What modern action movies beside Fury Road come close to 80s early 90s action films or Jackie Chan films in terms of cinematography and action choreography?

Is it just CGI made people lazy or what?

photography and cinematography are very different, mostly due to things moving. Frames are just a word without meaning, making part of a sentence, or scene. If the scene as a whole properly conveys whatever the author is trying to say, then it is a good scene, regardless of each frame speaking for itself.
You can't judge a scene by its individual components, or by the color filters and post effects some retard used to make it look kewls.

so wanting to see nice images makes me edgy

you are a bad person for what you believe

Dare I say the SW Prequels?

Alot of the scenes look like paintings.

it's just a photo taken during filming. i'm sure it will look better after it's finished

lol its from thor 2, it came out like 4 years ago and looked like ass

Yes, like this one.

Pretty much most big budget films these days are designed by committee and by computer.

I would almost make a bet Disney basically have a step by step guide on how to make a high grossing, lowest common denominator movie and through focus testing they found that 95% of people don't give a single fuck about aesthetics or cinematography.

Why do all these movies end with big city/building destroying moment and laser shooting into the sky? Because that is what focus tests well with idiots.

Because the people don't care.
Or wait, because they do care but they like dogshit.

>it's an 'autist tries to understand art but gets frustrated and confused 'episode

wtf i love bad cinematography now

That one looks weird in context but the base image looks okay.

Same with the dialogue scenes- people say it's stilted and emotionless and yeah it is, but it's like a painting.

Thor's hammer is ridiculous. They would have done a better job considering its iconic status

You have no understanding of either art or men.

in the world of aesthetics, subjectivity doesn't exist

rejecting this is part of why we live in a world of shit

Can you please explain why do you think this looks bad? Thanks

I think the dumbshit OP here is implying that every shot should be oversaturated, post-processed garbage that would look cool as a wallpaper. That's artistry, right?