Flanderisation

post egregious examples of flanderisation

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Flanderization
youtube.com/watch?v=hf5uaRmYivY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

what?

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Flanderization

It'd be easier to point to a series that run for more than 5 years and didn't fall into the trope.

Always Sunny is a really good example of this as all the main gang has been Flanderized to death

Mac is now openly gay. Dennis is now openly a sociopath. Charlie and Frank are dumber and dirtier than ever. Dee is a literal bird

Scrubs

le meme dwarf

George Constanza no matter what you faggs say. Still a great character though.

The Big Zimbabwe Theory.

It's always particularly bad when a line or bit develops into a catchphrase.

TREBLINKA

Was just thinking of this one

Sheldon is basically a different character from the one in the pilot

Shirley from Community basically had the same character trajectory as Flanders in that she started off as a kind but slightly overbearing Christian then gradually turned into an insane far-right fundamentalist.

adolf hitler.

If we're talking about Community, Pierce and the Dean were Flanderized to hell and back too. So were Troy and Abed. Damn the whole show had the characters fucked.

Hey tv tropes faggot! There is a list of examples at the bottom of the page on those articles.

Tyrion Lannister
Daenerys Targaryen
Brienne of Tarth

I never really understood why it's called 'flanderisation' when Flanders has very little character to begin with and there are still episodes here and there that show that he is more than just christian spouting diddly
But then I never really watched simspons past 10 seasons

Then you wouldn't know. Flanders at first was a normal well to do nice neighbour; he even drank! Then they turned it into him being a far right fundie Creationist.

Joey from Friends

>lady killer who is almost as sarcastic as chandler
>becomes a moron and he LOVES food

He was a foil for Homer: nice neighbor, loving kids, well maintained house, etc. Hell the origin of his fundie depictions have to do with the fact that he and his family diligently go to Church which was a reacurring gag with the early Simpsons with Bart wanting to listen to music and screw around and Homer getting bored at service. They kept the religious elements but removed the context of bart and Homer causing embarressment on Sundays so they made him a zealot.

But then early simpsons had fucking ton of shit like that, which was dropped for other kind of character development
And all this stuff
> nice neighbor, loving kids, well maintained house
Still rings true after the character was made to be hardcore christian

>flanderisation
flanderization

Is there any long running comedy series that doesn't suffers from this?

X-Files

I went back and watched the first season a few weeks ago. He's like a completely different character at the beginning.

If you want a smartass answer, I guess you can say cancelled series, since they never got the chance to

Sheldon's change could be explained by him surrounding himself with more people and becoming social.

>yank """english"""

Has there ever been a character that was successfully de-flanderized?

every character in the office

I like it when flanderization is explained or justified. Like say in Archer: Cheryl becoming more and more insane is explained that her mental state is deteriorating.

fuck off american

used to be woody allen then slowly became larry david

Han Solo

Reminder that Steven is supposed to be 14 years old and he still acts like a retarded 7 year old.

Many of the characters on Archer actually became more fleshed out through like season 4. Then they started becoming flanderized. But even Archer himself became more developed into season 6. Only ones who really haven't been fleshed out really well are Lana and Pam. Pam was flanderized really quick, and Lana was always bland.

That's because Dan Harmon is too focused on being meta and self aware. You can only deconstruct your characters so much before they become one note.

Every always sunny character

rewatching the earlier seasons, it's striking how much this has happened.
just having the tone be a lot more 'normal', jokes dont have to be so over the top to be funny or even shocking. if the premise is that the gang is mostly normal, you dont have to rely on crazy shit like the ponderosa wedding to still be funny.

in the early 90s going to church was still seen as a good thing

by the late 90s it was seen as creepy

>Pam was flanderized really quick
Making her addicted to eating cocaine was an awful idea, as well as her increased focus. Started pissing me off and did more harm than good.

Charlie misreading private bathroom as pirate bathroom > any joke in season 11

>did more harm than good.
As in, Pam in story. Felt I was unclear

Peter Griffin might be the worst example outside of Flanders

Her problem was they made her a sex and drug addict who disgusts everyone else in the office and never added much else to her character. She became a caricature and never anything else.

Frisky Dingo is so much better than Archer in every single way

They even had the same voice actress for Pam playing a totally different character that had a great progression from "kidnap victim" to "incompetent assassin out for revenge"

Yeah good shout.

Archer has actually fleshed out it's characters properly

Aku got flandersade

>frisky dingo

MAH NIGGA~

Yeah, they have a few more seasons til the show ends, hopefully they'll use some of it to fix up the characters like Pam and Lana

Aku has always been goofy as fuck

In first episodes he was menacing then he got funny in later episodes

Did you miss the ads in the second episode of him goofily advertising food?

He's always been a steady mix of funny/menacing. Obviously in the first couple episodes where he is being established as he antagonist and jack's primary motivation he will lean more towards menacing.

Doesn't he not age because he's half gem?

>tvtropes

he became a gag character by the third episode and was never again seen as a threat

No, you were probably just young.

Thats part of it. They are all in hell and they keep getting chances for redemption and it wasnt until the end that Dennis took his shot at redemption.

Thats right... Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia actually takes place in Hell

>never seen as a threat
That's not true. He could be pretty threatening in later episodes too. His aloofness in front of Jack is partly what makes him threatening. He's so powerful he can just toy with him

jack kicked his ass everytime they fought and aku had to flee

hell, jack fought many foes far more powerful than aku, the only reason why they hadn't killed aku yet is because only jack's sword can hurt him

in the samurai jack world aku is pretty low in the power level scale

damn this children's cartoon i watch has weak characterization!!!!

>children's cartoon
keep your uninformed opinions to (you)

The US office is literally just the UK office but with all the characters flanderized.

>That Toki song about cats

How painful was it to watch?

I never watched the full series but I saw the final episode and jesus did they flanderize Kevin to hell. He went from being a mildly dopey guy to a full on literal retard.

Pierce was the worst for it. After Season 2 I have no clue why the fuck they even kept him around at all.

12 half-hour episodes isn't really long enough for this to happen though.

It was worth it for Holly Flax genuinely believing that he was a retard

finished this yesterday

now i feel empty inside

Everyone in dbz

Mark (Becky's bf) on Roseanne

episode partially redeemed by dentist suicide scene but it all goes downhill from there

>hey, check this out

>Pronouncing the noble zeta the same way you would describe your "flaccid" "piss-poor" "insipid" British "penis"

Real question, is the soft S sound the most degenerate phoneme?

Hamburger Time was catchy as fuck besides he already sang a song about drinking piss and singing fish

why?

George was always modeled after Larry David though. The last two seasons are a bit more out there though

How I met your mother characters got it hard in the later seasons.

nope, it's the opposite. Dbz is one rare examples of characters evolving and maturing throughout the story without becoming caricatures of themselves, which is even more of a feat considering how long and how popular the series is. I'm obviously not considering GT and everything after

It's always been implied that Aku was a sort-of "self-serving" evil that was heavily impulsive.

The fact that he flung Jack a thousand or so years into the future is often overlooked.

In the time that's passed, Aku's been alone, aware, ruling with absolute power and most of all, bored and just doing shit for the fucking fun of it while maintaining his rule.

>By the time Jack re-emerged in Aku's future world, Aku's been through roughly 10-15 human lifetimes worth of character developments.

and then Joey the series

A pants shitting retard.

Considering that they made Ted and Lilly go from likable characters to horrible human beings, I cannot think of another show more harmed by it.

Cartman from south park
Hes way funnier in early seasons, as a dumb asshole with a tiny bit of humanity

As a psychopathic genius hes boring

Honestly, /ð/ is the gayest because of the gay lisp association.

married with children. It was actually great in the beginning, with hal and peggy always bantering until one got their feelings hurt and they'd actually make up

that whole episode is great
youtube.com/watch?v=hf5uaRmYivY

As entertaining as I found Scott Tenorman Must Die, it absolutely broke his character

This show never should have been brought back from cancellation

Aside from Peter in Family Guy, easily the most jarring and easy to observe is Modern Family. Every single character can now be boiled down to two or three different traits, and every episode is just different ways those traits are mixed together and stressed.

>american adaptations
Rather have my teeth pulled out. See: The Office, Shamless, Inbetweeners, etc.

this
after throwing jack into the future as a last ditch gambit, and squashing the last remnants of human resistance outside japan over a couple hundred years probably, he's unopposed, unchallenged, and extremely bored. so he ends up fuckin around for a couple thousand years and stays in that malevolent hijinks personality once jack returns
he's lapsing back into the bored now, and he seems desperate for a challenge or even a whiff of jack doing SOMETHING interesting. jack finally gave him an evil purpose after thousands of years, then he just fucks off and aku has to cope with returning to his boring overlord lifestyle again

Exactly what i think

Did Parks and Rec actually reverse flanderize? Season 1 was fairly painful in how obviously that show wished it was le silly and outlandish like The Office. I felt 2 on really pulled them in and made them actual characters over bootleg Office cast.

last few seasons have reversed much of that though

Yes, Tom becomes a lot less obnoxious and Ron stops being such a le epic meme quote guy