The Fellowship Of The Ring

youtube.com/watch?v=HKGQFkWI_bM

>"You cannot pass!"
>"I am the servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor…"
>"The dark fire will not avail you! Flame of Udûn!"
>"Go back to the Shadow!"
>"You shall not pass!"

This scene never seizes to amaze me, even though it has some minor flaws here and there.

how could they make a puppet look so real?

I don't know, but Balrog stood the test of time and still looks more than solid. Just rewatched this film yesterday, and even though I prefer the book, it's perhaps the best adaptation that we could have hoped for.

lifetime fan of the books but honestly feel the films did some things a little more intuitively, and obviously they make the story a lot more emotive whereas the characters are a little more rigid in the books.

I hated how they turned Frodo into a tremendous pus, even though he was everything but one in the books, but yeah, film did some things slightly better. The music elevates it, especially during the "Flight To The Ford" scene when Nazghul arrived.

In the books you got the sense that Gandalf was saying, "Fly you fools," as he was being dragged down by the whip caught to his leg. Like he was clawing against the bridge while being pulled and telling them to run.

Having him hanging off the ledge, saying some dramatic shit and letting go on his own when he could've pulled himself up was dumb, especially when the next movie shows him doing some super saiyan shit as he's falling. We're forced to rationalize that he simply had to fight the Balrog.

>he could've pulled himself up

He had a balrog hanging off him with a flaming whip wrapped around his feet. I'd wager balrogs are pretty heavy and that a flaming whip wrapped around your legs is not a good situation to be in nor an easy one to get out of.

Is there any worse fanbase than LotR nerds?

Fuck off, thanks.

u mad nerd?

>not being able to lift a single balrog
Do you even lift boy?

>He had a balrog hanging off him with a flaming whip wrapped around his feet.
How can someone be so fucking wrong when there's literally a video of the scene in the OP? The whip does not stay wrapped around him after it initially pulls him down, he was free to pull himself up.

The whip came off after he let go. Do you understand how tension works?

Yeah. Would've been better if the whip were shown yanking him down, but it clearly detaches before he's even hanging there.

I mean, it's fine for a casual viewer who somehow assumes he's just an old man who's really good at fighting despite having no upper body strength... but Gandalf is shown leaping around and being physically impressive when need be.

I think he knew that killing the Balrog would be a huge xp boost.

Dear bookfags,

where and when did Gandalf respawn? does the book elaborate on that?

also, he came back to life and went directly to Fangorn, out of all places? Or did he do something else that the movies don't show?

I think they just combined stopmotion and CGI. They also did that with a bunch of miniature setpieces and then just blended it into the landscape. Those parts still hold up perfectly.

Holy shit the Balrog isn't all CGI??

It foreshadowed his rebirth after Frodo met Galadriel.

You need better taste

I think they animated it with a computer. But they did build it for real (smaller ofcourse) and then scanned it.

Oh. So it's CGI.

His hearthstone was set in fangorn

I believe he first went to Lorien.

Why did they have to make Pipin an idiot during the Balin's tomb scene? Never understood those comic relief scenes.