Why isn't The Mist held in the same regard as The Thing...

Why isn't The Mist held in the same regard as The Thing? The Mist really nails that sense of claustrophobia and paranoia, and the creature design is excellent.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mw_HKzo9Ync
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

normies cant handle a dark ending

The CGI didn't age so good.

Ending was a copout. Like one of the dozens of other shitty horror movies that goes out of its way to be as dark as possible in the end.

How about the fog or the keep

Stephen King is a hack and the CGI aged like milk

go to bed Stephen King.

It's not like the Things special effects have aged all that well either

There's something about practical that is easy to look past where as poorly aged CGI doesn't cut it. I am not saying this as a dis to CGI. CGI is a brilliant tool in good movie making.

Oh fuck yes it has. The kennel scene alone is still intense and scary as fuck 35 years later.

it suffers from some weak acting at points but it isn't a bad movie.

The Thing also thrived due to a huge amount of suspense, The Mist doesn't have said level of suspense

I agree. I enjoyed The Mist for sure, but I didn't think it as well done as The Thing.

But they have, the remake made like 4 years ago looks far worse.

The Thing has just about the best practical effects movie history...

SK liked the ending of the movie.

I just want you to know that you are not alone on this one. I liked The Mist right up until the ending. It's over the top. I didn't like how the mist was actually explained, how it really was a military experiment gone awry. Even then I don't like how the military cleaned up this mess and saved the day in the big picture. I don't like how that one woman who left earlier miraculously survived up to that point and succeeded where Thomas Jane failed. The movie ending has no sense of mystery, ambiguity, or dread. It's hackneyed.

The Fog is a good ghost story the likes of which we don't het any more. The Keep had neat ideas, a god tier soundtrack by Tangerine Dream, but it was a mess in execution.

Stephen King is notorious for being bad at endings. Are you sure you want to trust his opinion here?

I actually think his ending was better for what it's worth.

Too many horror movies do this. They don't understand that the whole point of horror is the unknown. For example, look at this.

youtube.com/watch?v=mw_HKzo9Ync

I'm not pretending that this is god-tier horror. But it is genuinely unsettling. And what makes it unsettling is the ambiguity of whatever it is that's causing this whole thing to happen. When somebody goes out of their way to try to explain horror, then it starts to fall apart and become sort of a joke. We're scared of darkness, the unknown, and death, just like we were when we were little kids. Putting a face and an explanation on it ruins everything.

Remember how scary "Sinister" was, until they showed the face of that demon thing and he looked like Michael Jackson?

The Shining TV movie made by Stephen King is better than Stanley Kubrick's pretentious euro trash.

PROVE ME WRONG FAGGOTS

You know what's up. Nice link by the way.

Stephen King did not make an adaptation of The Shining. Mick Garris did that.

Proved you wrong haha.

I really enjoyed the Miat but I thought the story was really strong so that might be Stephen King's praise

Yeah

Darabont is a retard. People don't hate the ending because it is dark. They hate it because he shoots his family and then a split second later the army shows up. It's so cartoonish.