/lang/ - Language Learning General

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Check pastebin punto com slash 09urW8Sv for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides. /lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCuSx-lf2ft7hPceGVNHybOw
pastebin.com/ACEmVqua
hsk.academy/
mdbg.net/chinese/dictionary
clozemaster.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump

> go to /lang/
> ask for help with russian
> get no help

I remember that thread, us oldfags huh?

My motivation dies with the absence of these threads. I haven't done any good studying in a week.

What language are you learning user?

German. I've also started learning all the grammar so that's probably another contributing factor to my apathy.

What help?
You can just go to /rus/ / /ex-ussr/ when you want to ask something

Reminder

Make /lang/ great again

1- Make nice OP pic which clearly indicates what this general is, and use only that one or variants of it for every OP
2- Always title the thread the same way
3- Always put the same info in OP post (links, etc.)
4- Everyone remember and save these thread ''templates'' so that the thread may be recreated without gaps lasting for days
5- Stop sending people to leddit and discord, making this thread hemorrhage users all the time

If you do all this, I guarantee this would be a good thread. Look at DJT, they even survived a board move and yet they're still going on strong and are constantly gaining users. Let's get minimally organized people.

>Start learning Russian
>Get burned out from the absence of in person experience
>Start learning Esperanto
>Get burned out from the lack of in person experience
>Start learning English Braille
>Get burned out from the lack of in person experience
How am I supposed to stick with something like learning languages when there's no physical measure or practical applications by which I can gauge and justify my time learning them? I live in rural bumfuck nowhere, there's so resources, speakers, students or interest in this shit here. It gets so demoralizing.

Move elsewhere. It doesn't take much effort to uproot yourself if you don't have a family. Do it while you still can, and go to a place with more diversity (i.e. anywhere decently urban).

I hate that there's not much good media in German. So much of it is in English its irritating. From the Germans I follow on social media to the music played on radios to even most bands, pretty much everything uses a lot of English.
I wish I was learning Russian or Spanish where they pretty much only speak in their own language.

Listening to or reading media in your target language is a practical application

this >youtube.com/channel/UCuSx-lf2ft7hPceGVNHybOw
i see this channel and try to say what they're speaking

Chinese is coming to Duolingo! Possibly within a few months even.

Anyone else excited?

Didn't the Japanese one just come out and suck?
Why expect any different for this one?

I don't think it's going to be that great. It might be good at teaching people how to read and input characters, but I think it's going to be bad at teaching people how to be conversational in the language.

And with the generally bad response the Japanese course has gotten, the bar is going to be set pretty low for this one.

HelloChinese is a good option, after japanese duolingo i realized i can't trust in duolingo so i'm going to learn at the old way
>korean is available but i didn't see it

have you tried lingodeer?

ardmediathek.de
zdf.de

These are the websites of the two big public german television channels, they upload most of their content there. Maybe its helpful.

as a chink i will say that most professional programs to learn chinese are horribly lacking in terms of teaching actual functional conversational chinese.

Thanks I'll check it out.

Anybody have any advice for learning German grammar? Whats the the best place to start/ study?

My motivation has been non-existent this week tbhonestly desu. I've been coming home from work and watching either House of Cards or Freeman's Mind until i go to bed.

I'm just generally sad this week though, not sure it has to do with the lack of /lang/, although that may be a contributing factor. I've barely even been doing my anki

I started with the textbook Routledge Intensive German Course to give myself a base to work with. After going through the 10 chapters it has, i'm using Berliner Platz 2.
I think Berliner Platz is hard to start with because it's all in German, but after going through Routledge, I feel like studying German in German is just more good practice.

[spoiler]Holy shit if you press ctrl+s in the floating reply box it gives you spoiler tags[/spoiler]

hello does anyone have the Spanish infograph? going to South America soon and I don't want to be a run-of-the-mill clueless amerifat

Reminder:

pastebin.com/ACEmVqua has more resources than the link in the OP (specifically, it has the links to the image guide) so please use this one in the next thread.

It's going to be shit, just like Japanese, and all other Duolingo courses. Also what kind of Chinese? I assume Mandarin, but what self-respecting course in some variant of Chinese (that wasn't developed by the Chinese government itself) doesn't specify this.

why do language classes suck so bad?

this person taking them could count to 100 in the language but didn't know the word "Can"

>>Start learning English Braille
>>Get burned out from the lack of in person experience

What??
It's not like you talk to blind people in fucking braille.

Hellochinese, lingodeer and other DL clones already exist.

This gives me an idea: deaf people communicating via Morse Code. Instead of signing, they just incessantly tap on someone/are tapped on to communicate.

I don't disagree with your point, but if the person has only been to like one or two classes, that's not surprising. Numbers are frequently one of the first things taught in language instruction, but being able to use "can" is going to require at least some understanding of the way verbs work in the target language, and depending on the language there might be several different forms of the word depending on what form of it you're translating to the language.

ded bread ded board

>Get mandatory French classes from 10yo until the end of highschool
>Can't even ask for a glass of water in French
>Never had any English classes, never seen the inside of an English textbook.
>play English vidya all day, watch English movies and TV, ...
>Fluent in English.

Rather than classes being the problem you just need engaging and fun content.

>never seen the inside of an English textbook.
>Fluent in English.

I... how? Did you just google shit? How long did this take? Why aren't more weebs able to speak Japanese if this is possible?

I thought English class were mandatory pretty much everywhere ?

>How long did this take
It's hard to say when I really began. Nobody bothers dubbing tv shows and movies in dutch, flemish TV doesn't have a big budget either so often they just buy english shows and slap dutch subtitles on it. It's the same with games, they don't have dutch TLs.
So I came into contact with english since I was a little kid.

However I don't think I actually learned much until I got my first PC and internet connection and started playing runescape (was about 10-11yo iirc). At first I couldn't understand anything, but a few years later I was already able to read english books like harry potter. I also started torrenting movies without dutch subtitles.
I didn't do much production, it was just reading and listening for the first few years. I never looked much up, perhaps a few dificult words I couldn't infer from context or beginner mistakes like your/you're.

I'm not sure how I did it other than daily active exposure. It also helps that dutch and english are really close, the grammar is nearly the same and half the words are the same as dutch but with english pronunciation.

I still got a heavy accent since most of my interaction with english is in written form, and it's hard for me to tell how good or bad I actually am. But having been to England a couple of times I had no trouble understanding people and vice versa. I think if I could live in an english speaking country for a few years I could really max out my english skills.

>Why aren't more weebs able to speak Japanese if this is possible?
I'm currently trying to learn japanese. They got the passive exposure down, but they lack the active part (reading at first, listening without subtitles). The grammar is also radically different and the writting system is a bitch.
This is my current regimen

Our mid/highschool system is split up into "general" (ASO) and "vocational" (TSO). It's only mandatory in ASO. I made the mistake going for TSO since my dad as an electrician and at the age of 12 I thought becoming an electrician was cool.

On Pimsleur Spanish 3 Unit 8 now. At Unit 15 will be half way through. I've been moving through the units faster than I used to, daily rather than every other day... I'm trying to take pic related to heart.

I understand what you mean too, but I'm just more complaining about the curriculum and setup of the classes. it's about mid semester and you would think they would have covered parts of speech words like "can" by now
something that helped me learn is just reading what I could understand in the language and finding out new words from context clues.

that said, if you're only just taking a class for a language, you're kind of just wasting your time. immersion is key.

>play English vidya all day, watch English movies and TV, .
this is pretty much what I'm doing.

Link in the OP doesn't work :(((

Been learning German for the last three months but think I might have lost the motivation after I realised I can't increase my chances of going to Swedish college by doing courses in German.

So I'm betting on what is essentially the Swedish counterpart to the SAT. One part of it is vocabulary, and I doubt further German studies will help much with that. A lot of Swedish words stem from German, but most of them are easy enough to understand since they are often very familiar or recent additions to the language.

So I was thinking about picking up Latin for a while, which as you know is the basis for a whole lot of terms relating to art and science. Alternatively I might pick up french again (which I did in high school but didn't really like it at that time at least) or Italian. You could argue that Spanish is more useful in real life, but I don't find Spanish culture as attractive and I don't think it will help my vocab much.

Any thoughts on my situation? Got any good resources for learning Latin?

see

OH fuck we back. Took you faggots long enough.
I will help anyone who is learning Portuguese and French.

Flashcards are so boring and the reviews just keep getting bigger.

>iktf
What language are you studying?

Spanish. You?

I literally notice it helping me every day, but it's still just such a fucking drag. I need a better way to learn vocab, I gotta find some books or something.

When would you guys say it's a good time to buy some literature and begin reading it?

I tried to get some simple books but I'm still not good enough to read them yet. I'm hoping once I get through this initial grind it gets easier to improve.

I'd love to improve while reading the news or reading some literature, improving while just studying is painful.

Currently learning Russian. In fluent in French if someone needs help. Decent in Spanish too.

Depends on the literature, but generally just below the level you're supposed to be at when you read it so you learn new words but don't have to translate everything

learning french, somehow got sidetracked on Catalan.

Chinese, it's really unforgiving...

That does sound brutal.

1/2

2/2

wump

no really, can you tell me your experience with that app?

Anyone else sneak a little bit of studying in at work?

I spend the entire day listening to French radios. It's an excellent way to find a bit of every day immersion cause I don't really need much grammar in my current state.

Also for those who don't know you can listen to radio stations of the entire world by going to a site called "radio.garden". It's simple and free. Great way to practice your comprehension too

I can't wait until I get to that point. I'm retarded though so it will probably take me a while.

Why do you say that?

Merci pour le site, c'est vraiment pas si mal. Il y a beaucoup de choix.

Why is my memory so shit. Any advice how to improve it? I already use srs

You need to learn how to learn before learning something like a language. Knowing yourself and how you internalize information is important. For example, to you remember things by tying it to previous memories, and if you do, which type of memory do you tie it to in order to make recalling the information easier? Maybe your the type of person who memorizes things easier with temporary mnemonics that are discarded once the information is consolidated in your memory. Your situation is common for Americans because your school system sucks and you never really have to study in order to pass in school, and therefore have never really learned how to study in an optimal fashion. I recommend you play around with different techniques until you find the one that suits you best.

>your school system sucks and you never really have to study in order to pass in school

What? Before college I went to private school in Massachusetts, not some hillbilly farmhouse in the south. Also I spent part of middle school in Ireland and didn't think there was a difference. But thanks for the suggestions.

Because with Chinese you don't have anything you can relate to, unlike Spanish or English as a native French speaker. Every single word is entirely new which is kinda difficult.
Not to mention the writing system is making the entire process akin to learn 2 languages at the same time.
I might recongize what 无聊 means for instance, but it doesn't mean I remember the pinyin and how to type it.

What language are you learning ameri-kun?
I think we'll all been there, learning a new language makes me feel really stupid because I keep forgetting stuff again and again, it's part of the process.

Anki on downtime, all the time

Actually mandarin like yourself. Before I started studying I was sold on the concept that the vocabulary was easy because the way the characters work in compound words. Like electric (电) brain (脑) for computer (电脑). But that shit doesn't help when kimda like you said, everything is learned from scratch..

I can relate man. Before I started learning Mandarin I was able to converse fluently in English and was able to understand many things in Spanish without much effort so I felt pretty confident about learning languages.
And then I dwelt deeper into Chinese and realised how challenging it can be.
How often I would forget characters and the pinyin/pronunciation related to it.
I think there's a reason why most languages say "you're speaking chinese to me" instead of saying "it's all greek to me", it's because Chinese is geniunely one of the hardest language.

If you're college educated, you should already have an idea of what works better for you when studying. Work off of that.

你好
In chinese class at my highschool and teacher has basically no curriculum becasue the school decided to have one teacher for both the middleschool and highschool within the same day so is very difficult to learn anything. Any suggestions for textbooks/extra material to learn from?

For vocabulary:
hsk.academy/
mdbg.net/chinese/dictionary
And Anki obviously

For reading comprehension I found this site pretty helpful:
clozemaster.com/

谢谢我的朋友!

Anyone mind answering a english question?What is the difference between:
>what have you done?
and
>What did you do?
To me it has the exactly same meaning. Is there a nuance I'm not seeing?

Forget to say, imagine you did something stupid and are asked any of these questions

>What have you done
I feel like this sort of implies that whatever stupid thing you did had bad consequences that have happened as well.

>What did you do
This feels more like you've done something stupid, but the consequence hasn't (necessarily) been seen yet.

eg.
>You push a button that says "DANGER" (stupid action)
What did you do?!
>You push a button that says "DANGER" (stupid action), and someone in the room dies (consequence)
What have you done?!

It's the exact same difference as "o que você tinha feito?" e "o que você fez?".

That is, have+participle implies something happened after it; the simple past doesn't.

> sat down today for 6 hours working on russian rosetta stone
> checked duolingo to see what japanese is like
> im also keeping my french up to date so my 6 years of practice doesnt falter
> have intense desire to learn all these different languages but scared if I spread myself too thin I will master none of them
anyone else feel this way?

I am partly fluent in french and would recommend german over it any day. I hate french people.

How do you keep your french up to date? I'm still trying to learn my first language but curious what maintenance is like. I think I'll use my language pretty often so maybe not a problem, but, I donno.

dont worry about it because you wont get anywhere using shit like rosetta stone, consider that time wasted

lmao why do you say that? rosetta stone is by far the best language method Ive seen. better than duolingo and FAR superior to a class.

Idk it comes back to me.. all you need to do is read a page of verb conjugations every once in a while

Pretty much me.I'm trying to limit myself to 7 languages in the future
>Portuguese (unavoidable)
>English
>Spanish
>Japanese
>French
>Chinese
>Arabic
I already know the first 4 of them to some extent but sometimes I think about fiddling with the russian languange.

drop arabic and chinese for russian IMO. there is 0 use for arabic unless you are a practising muslim. the romance languages are fine because they are so similar but arabic and chinese is going to take a huge chunk of time.

That was a scene in Charlie’s Angels 2.

I had a mute gf who would communicate by patting

How did you meet?

I would like to have a big world wide coverage which these particular languages provide me.
Also there a big arabic and chinese speaking community here on Brazil.

silent film convention

>learning German
>Get in with a university program in Salzburg
>At a level where I feel confident in my conversational skills
>Try to shitpost on /Deutsch/
>Get made fun of whenever I forget a gender or use the wrong case

okay, go ahead.

If that ain't the cutest shit

I feel you Ösi, except that i'm not confident with my conversational skills and just let myself be ignored

Mute people arent deaf just autistically shy

I was a selective mute as a child for like two years, but, mutism can be caused by actual physical disabilities

Hey how can I type capital umlaut letters without pressing caps lock on a qwerty keyboard?