Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman

That's it Sup Forums I've had it with your shit. Every time there's a thread asking about Samurai films where I bring it up, I get blank stares from the lot of you. But they're amazing so it's time you assholes give this series of films & television shows the respect it deserves.
youtube.com/watch?v=xcD4evqh4TI
youtube.com/watch?v=_Hvc1Ae-YCU
If you like that then there's lots for them freely available to watch on YouTube and elsewhere. Maybe next time someone will actually be able to discuss it with me.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JvH3hk88wGE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nobody? It was so popular that it has 25 original films & 100 televised episodes with the original actor Shintaro Katsu then a remake staring Takashi Kitano and every time I bring it up it's like nobody her has even heard of it by chiming in "they're great" or "they're shit" or anything at all!

The Yojimbo and One-armed Swordsman crossovers are pretty cool. Been a while though.

Yes those ones are good, though I wouldn't say any of them are bad. At worst over 125 adventures there's definitely formulas to them that get essentially repeated but the characters are so likable and the action so cool that I don't really mind

I've only watched Yojimbo and Seven Samurai recently. Revisited them after watching them when i was a lot younger. I've seen the kitano zatochi film though. Is there a specific youtube channel for these films?

superior

the channel this episode of the tv series is on has a couple dozen more episodes
youtube.com/watch?v=JvH3hk88wGE

well apparently everyone on this board except for 6 of us are filthy casuals afterall

I'll get started on these...

I only watched kitano's movie. Only got put off by the cgi blood. his blind swordsman in Getting Any was better

Where should I start? Just movie one?

Watch the black and white zatoichi. They are the real deal. Also OP most people have either watched them and left or haven't watched them because they are too young.

Seven samurai is pretty good, again the old movie not the shitty new remakes.

sure but maybe try a few movies in if you prefer color and he looks more like how he will for the rest of the series by then as opposed to the first one where he's all clean cut

I started with movie one and it worked perfectly. It's the best introduction to Ichi's character, and is the perfect build up to later films.

This. OP, Zatoichi, Seven Samurai and Hara Kiri are samurai kino.
For a more recent one try When the Last Sword is Drawn.

>I wouldn't say any of them are bad
This is my favorite franchise, but fuck, Fire Festival sucked.
>Let's have Ichi fall in love out of character
>Let's have the blind villain look directly at things

The Chest of Gold and the first film are my favorites.

>only seeing the Kitano version
that's like saying "I've only seen one James Bond movie and it was Austin Powers.

what didn't you like about Fire Festival? Is that one of the entries where he has to protect some kid? those are my lesser favourite of the series.

Where my Sword of Doom niggas at??

Nah, as said Ichi acts out of character, and the blind villain keeps looking at every object coming towards him before looking away since the actor realizes he's supposed to be blind shortly after.

I honestly don't mind the ones where he defends random kids. It enforces how Ichi is a tragic character and everyone he comes across has him do some shit for him despite him being blind and wanting to be left alone.

Sounds fake and gay. a blind dude using a sword and not accidentally cutting himself i call bullshit lol

I watched them all (except the last one. Waiting to finish the TV series first) a year or two ago. I enjoyed all of them, though the "Yojimbo crossover" was a tiny bit boring. It wasn't even the same character.

I'm now working on the television series. At first, the pacing felt off, but now it feels fine. Shintaro Katsu just kept getting better and better. Kind of wish they made a manga or an anime. It would be nice to see some new adventures, though with Shintaro Katsu dead, probably not the best idea. I got the Takashi Miike stage show downloaded. Need to watch it as well.Show Aikawa as Ichi seems cool.

>everytime there's a thread asking about Samurai Films where I bring it up, I get blank stares from the lot of you

People just aren't interested or don't know enough about them, or both. Anyways, any additions or criticisms of my humble list would be cool (non-Kurosawa).

Samurai Trilogy (1954-6)
Chushingura (1962)
Tale of Zatoichi (1962)
Harakiri (1962)
Sword of the Beast (1965)
Samurai Assassin (1965)
The Sword of Doom (1966)
Zaitochi Challenged (1967)
Zaitochi meets Yojimbo (1970)
Lady Snowblood (1973)
The Twilight Samurai (2002)
When the Last Sword is Drawn (2003)

>Zaitochi meets Yojimbo (1970)
SEEEEENSEEEI !!

so I guess the Yojimbo one isn't good then huh

No it's fine, I was just quoting how the Toshiro Mifune character mocking his underlings who whine to him and call him Sensei by saying "SEEEEENEII, TSK!" back at them.

oh, my bad. Haven't seen Sanjuro in a couple years

Doesn't Zatoichi have like 30 movies? I remember downloading them all a couple of years ago but after watching the first 4 or 5 I figured out they were all pretty much the same.

Still pretty cool when you fist start watching but the effect doesn't last.

I really liked that ongoing joke. I find myself whining, "SENSEEEEEIII" to myself in a mocking tone at random points.
Toshiro Mifune can do comedy well.

Anybody see the film where he and Charles Bronson team up? Pick related, Red Sun.

Mifune is such a bro, doing all these samurai roles in Western films. Apparently he was good in the Shogun tv show adaption. Should I watch it?

It ends kind of abruptly but it's still worth a watch

I liked the shows but never got into the movies. Is there a recommended order to watching them? I want to dive back into the series again

Choreographies pretty bad ass
He makes look so easy

I only saw the first samurai trilogy movie and didnt like it that much desu. Should I bother with the rest?