In what point blockbuster scores turned into shit? Why there is not another Morricone, Williams or Elfman...

In what point blockbuster scores turned into shit? Why there is not another Morricone, Williams or Elfman? Why can't we find another Carpenter? At what point everything went to the point scores stopped being something important to the movie? Why all the big movie scores sound so esterile and bland right now? The same can be applied to AAA games.

Pic related: pointing the most obvious example

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Rdc6QjBNOOU
youtube.com/watch?v=UfJSE8Ea94c
youtube.com/watch?v=sTuaaGURR50&list=PLBKadB95sF44vjNzNABcYoF_7ae6lAgJM&index=18
youtube.com/watch?v=65As1V0vQDM
youtu.be/7vfqkvwW2fs
youtu.be/UcXsH88XlKM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Generic products made specifically to pander to the widest audience possible without taking any risk deserves to be forgettable shit. The music, cinematography, the story arcs. Its all bullshit ordered by execs with the 'Yes Men' seeing it done.

And thats what Disney products are: Generic, unoriginal garbage made on a yearly basis with no creativity to it. You arent watching a movie, you're watching a pre-approved, quota-filled, assembly line movie that looks and feels like last years movie.

Marvel Movies are the iPhones of cinema, and Disney is Apple.

But what's the cause? Terminator had a huge budget for its time but the theme was memorable, for example.

Iron Man
Captain America
Thor
Avengers
Doctor Strange

All have distinct scores.

Distinct but not incredibly memorable.

marvlel can't into great scores

They just dont care. Hell, some of the composers used to score movies(especially franchise movies)are told to make the music be more like backround noise. You gotta remember, Disney is pandering to the lowest common denominator here. instead of a having a beautiful piece of music created to amplify moments of sadness or triumph, the characters have to be the ones literally saying what they feel. Disney's demographic doesnt exactly understand or particularly give a shit about context or subtlety.

And if im remembering right, im pretty sure elfman scored AoU. You wouldnt be able to really tell by listening since it sounds no different than what you might here in any other marvel movie.

I'm surprised the marvel movies haven't had one overriding theme appearing in all their movies, I know the avengers one has appeared across those but remixed a bit, same with captain america I guess.

but having one piece of music that they spam the shit out of to stick in people's heads, like indiana jones or star wars have distinct pieces that will be in all of the the movies no matter how many they make, a signature theme.

MCU is treated like an ongoing TV series. Every movie is an episode, and don't have much more care put into them than your average TV episode

Not really. At all. Adding a few bleep bloops (because Irom Man is a scientist, get it?) to the same score that has been done to death doesn't make a score good. And the fact that you recognized that as distinct shows how little you know and how low your standards are. Please, watch more movies and stop watching Marvel "movies"

>Marvel movies
>distinct scores
They are literally ripoffs of transformer movies

None of these movies have a discernible theme like Indiana Jones, Star Wars, or even Superman

>im pretty sure elfman scored AoU
Bryan Tyler scored most of the movie. And Elfman was told not to be too creative, and have strong points of reference and temp music, so his music couldn't stand out.
I hate it and I hate the fact that music is used as "background noise" without adding anything else to the scene.

>In what point blockbuster scores turned into shit
Whenever Zimmer got his big break.

The last great score was Lord of the Rings and, to some degree Pacific Rim It went downhill from there.

Lion King? Gladiator and Pirates still have memorable scores.

And no matter what you think of the movie itself, his score for Interstellar was great. It added to the film just like OP complains about

Ew no.

Fucking retard

Not really. Inception on the other hand...

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

Pacific Rim's score was great, I can still easily think of it to this day.

La La Land had a killer score and it only came out a few months ago.

I can't remember another movie with a good leitmotiv since that one

It isn't a blockbuster

I'd only ever admit this on Sup Forums, but I went to school with the sister of the guy who wrote the music for La La Land, and it really pisses me off.

youtube.com/watch?v=Rdc6QjBNOOU
How can Marvel even compete?

Why? Good for him, I guess

>>And thats what Disney products are: Generic, unoriginal garbage made on a yearly basis with no creativity to it. You arent watching a movie, you're watching a pre-approved, quota-filled, assembly line movie that looks and feels like last years movie.
Really? Then why did Sup Forums love winter soldier and civil war?

what's with the DC circlejerk that this board has turned into? was the backlash of the atrocity that was bvs really that hard on you people?

Batman V Superman had an excellent score.

All of these are John Williams though. His music is iconic.

Iron Man 3 had a cool theme, Cap 1 did too. I thought Avengers was a rip off of x-men first class though.

this isn't a dc/marvel consolewar thread, I'm sure there's at least four going on you can shit in.

This score was kinda good. At least it had a recognizable pattern for the characters involved.

I kinda remember Cap 1. Kinda.
No, not really. But the movie came ages ago and the theme was trown in the bin with the sequels, so it was a failure in that sense.

Giachhino's Star Trek Beyond score was good.
youtube.com/watch?v=UfJSE8Ea94c

I like the beginning of this one a lot. youtube.com/watch?v=sTuaaGURR50&list=PLBKadB95sF44vjNzNABcYoF_7ae6lAgJM&index=18 Too bad it changes into something else 30 seconds in.

*Giacchino
Fuck I'm tired.

DC kinos still have amazing scores and memorable themes. Hell, the DC CW shows have better scores than Marvel flicks

>Sup Forums loves civil war

Welcome to Sup Forums friend, we hope you enjoy your stay

How sad is it that hans zimmer makes everything else look like shit now?

Even he went to shit, look at the force awakens score

>the DC CW shows

get out

DC/WB gonna miss Zimmer. I wonder who they will replace him with

you serious? Dr Strange was literally just Star trek's score

This had a comfy score, I like listening to it on occasion.

They are better than Iron Fist though

youtube.com/watch?v=65As1V0vQDM
>this is going to shit
Shit on Abrams film but Williams did his job fine.

Yeah pretty much is, even a crappy film like Indiana jones 4 has some memorable themes, 7 had pretty much nothing. I'm willing to bet it's because he's using a weaker studio and they rushed him

It's literally just his leftovers from Prisoner of Azkaban. Seriously, fucking listen to it.

>leftovers from Prisoner of Azkaban
What are these leftovers?

I can't remember anything from Pacific Rim's score. I recall a vague slow hard rock beat when the robot's swinging the tanker around and that's it.

Your analogy doesn't make sense since the iPhone was anything but unoriginal in 2007, Marvel has yet to come up with something that hasn't been rehashed to death.

>Interstellar
Dude what, all Zimmer did was he threw in some Philip Glass organs and called it a day.

>kowalski rag

bretty GOAT

youtu.be/7vfqkvwW2fs
youtu.be/UcXsH88XlKM
Two video essays that explain it pretty well.
>inb4 every meme a painting
The second one is a response to the first. Both are pretty good essays in general.

john williams is a meme

>Terminator had a huge budget for its time
Did it? It was just a medium budget slasher movie directed by guy who cut his teeth in effects and production.
And while everyone remembers the terminator theme, most forget about the incredible synth score the original had.
And we still have talent on the musical side, look at the score for swiss army man, or the work Johnny Greenwood has done scoring movies. Look at mad max fury road, great soundtrack that was diagetic. Birdman did it too.
What you're forgetting about is historical perspective when it comes to modern media.