Is it feasible to build a metro or light rail for a city of ~500k? Or are we doomed with buses and trams?

Is it feasible to build a metro or light rail for a city of ~500k? Or are we doomed with buses and trams?

yes, even if it's only one line
t. Helsinki

It is. Lille, Rennes, Lausanne, and Brescia all have metros.

Isn't Helsinki like 800k? We could use a 1 or 2 line metro in Tallinn.

Yes, but only in Scandinavia because they are ludicrously rich. Many small towns there have rail systems.

Yes, my city has about 260k and we have a light rail

Pittsburgh has a population of ~300,000 and we have a light rail that has 2 lines and goes underground when downtown. The metro area of the city has around 2 million though.

Would make sense for a growing capital then. Underwater tunnel soon, Talsinki soon.

Helsinki had a population of

Wasn't it a soviet practice to build a metro after the town was at certain size, were it needed or not?

In soviet times the limit was 1000000 people.

Why only Wuppertal in Germany (pop 300k) has a hanging monorail? Looks aesthetic like fuck.

Tallinn is growing too fast. It's already at 450k and it was sub 400k not too long ago. Traffic jams are getting real, there are big suburbs forming. Something will be needed soon, but obviously it's going to be obscenely expensive.

Post that one metro map from siberia with only one station

Why row a boat when you can use monorail?

I find stupid to build a metro for a city < 1,000,000 people without a high pop density. A tramway is more useful.

This looks a bit dangerous.

specific niche of city that only stretches along a river and doesn't require a branching network (which monorails suck at)

light rail is same as tram actually.

Nonesense! It's lasted a century and can hold an elephant (image manipulation based on a real event during 50's)

Apparently we have a functioning political party shilling for a "half metro/fast tram". Interesting.

We have the "build a tunnel to Tallinn" talk making rounds in media once again. Happens every two years or so.

Us too. Would be fine by me. Air connection through Vantaa would be magnificent.

>tfw will never build decent rail or light rail network in my area
>tfw the area will grow more and more over the years and we'll be stuck with more and more cars

This is probably the stupidest way to transport an elephant.

Nobody died.

Still... WHY?

easier to rebuild current tram system into lrt

>feasible to build light rail
>what is tram

A MISERABLE PILE OF SECRETS

Tallingrad should better do something about their car traffic or make Elon Musk build the hyperloop to Helsinki.

>he fell for the hyperloop meme

t. maapoiss

Is that eesti pönde?

Yes. They keep hating on noble Reval citizens.