ITT: Post a movie you really enjoyed, and anons recommend you movies based on the one you liked

ITT: Post a movie you really enjoyed, and anons recommend you movies based on the one you liked.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IwsYyRc9j4g
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

fucked up movie

can't think of any recs at the moment sorry

I liked it a lot. It was a little titling because the user who originally recommended it to me said it was a horror movie, so I went in with that expectation. There were weird moments but it never goes full horror. Just a straight forward rescue movie, extremely well executed and pretty realistic fighting in it. I like the fact that it didn't go Rambo mode in the end and kept itself grounded.

Hell or High Water

Those Indians scared the living shit out of me. This movie was very well done.

>it never goes full horror

define "full horror."

> I like the fact that it didn't go Rambo mode in the end

sadly, it kinda did with that loser suddenly gathering enough strength to walk to cave and even fight indians later

also, the guy from lost's character was so good, and probably the only REALLY GOOD character too, enjoyed him a lot. the 'I'm far too vain to live as a cripple' line kinda stuck with me too.

also, I swear I knew a movie that would be a perfect recommendation for you, but I just can't seem to remember what it was exactly.

sicario, no country for old men. uve probably seen both though

Hard mode: no cyberpunk

I have not watched it but is this the one where Indians split a man from ass to head?
I saw it in a webm

In a Valley of Violence

I don't think it was really a Rambo ending. The cripple kills like 3 or 4 Indians right? Pretty realistic I think considering they used bows and clubs and he used a gun.

Also, that scene where they fed that guy his own scalp and split him down the middle was fucking insane. That is why shit like that can't and never should be CG, that was some of the best gore I've seen in any movie. The only thing to ever rival Day of the Dead imo.

Yeah.

They scalp him, revealing the top half of his skull. They then jam it down his throat, impale it through his neck with a knife, then they turn him upside down on his skull and cut his groin up and pull on his legs until his guts and stuff come out. It was gnarly as shit. I'm not big into gore movies but that was really cool. I saw this movie originally while deployed in Japan and even the dudes I saw it with were cringing at that.

the fucking way the tomahawk just instantly separates him from his hand is kinda ridiculous. it took me out of it, i just went, what the fuck?

its bone, it was gently lobbed, and it just cuts through a hand that easily? fuck no.

You may very well be autistic if that is what bothers you. I get people not buying into the proposition that a cripple could negotiate himself through the desert terrain with no sleep or food or water or anything, then finding the strength to kill a few savages. But not being able to suspend disbelief with something as minor as a hand getting chopped off by a tomahawk? You should see an expert on this.

About 60% of the movie is just talking. To me, a horror movie has to have a sense of dread most of the way through it except the very beginning and the very end.

Some people didn't like it, but take "It Follows" as an example. It has a sense of dread throughout about 90% of it. Even the end is ambiguous and nothing is clearly resolved.

Bone Tomahawk had a great, intense action sequence with genuinely scary savages, and some awesome gore. But that was only about what, 30-35 minutes of the movie in total? The rest is building up.

This is sort of like Bone Tomahawk in a way. Slow burn supernatural thriller with some extremely intense moments.

The shaman scene was 10/10 kino

He never died

Hobo with a shotgun

The Boys From Brazil

I like Mystery Thrillers

yeah that webm was great special effects
might give it a watch

Excellent recommendation.

The Burrowers is a worse version of your movie, OP. I'd recommend it for the hard hitting realism bits.

Pic for me.

disturbia

Forgot to mention, I like it especially due to the cross of cultures. Seeing the Dao against the Katana was cool as fuck. It's akin to Red Sun in that respect.

Military/people with guns vs. The Supernatural

Pls don't just say Predator

cube 1997

Maybe it doesn't go full horror but it sure as shit goes full fantasy.

>Whistling bone flutes embedded in their throats

Australian Abos did just as weird of shit.

Not really, considering that Bone Tomahawk is actually a very good film, while that one is literally terrible.

>West forever proving himself hackier

The Proposition is the only answer

I'm not even sure something similar exists.

Hell or High Water. The one with Chris Pine and Ben Foster.

Is there other?

youtube.com/watch?v=IwsYyRc9j4g

Predators

I'm going to rape you

fuck you

wow

just watched it, it was actually petty good

There is one western like this but with tommy lee jones I forget the name

I've seen all Refn flicks and they're not even that similar.

Like Bone Tomahawk, Blue Ruin is under appreciated kino.

Ravenous

The Five Funerals of Machiavel Espada(1996)

I Come with the Rain

Google has no idea what you just typed.

Recs for The Big Short?

Dead Man

I really like Seven and Shadow of the Vampire.

Gee, really? Bad search engine

District 9
Event Horizon
Evil Dead

Memories of Murder
Never Talk to Strangers
Psycho Remake

True Grit

I watched this some time ago so I can hardly remember what its like, maybe Betty Blue

Theres no movie like it

Watched this the other day and really liked it. Anything kinda like it in any way? Not from the same director preferably, I already have those in mind.

Also here are my questionable recommendations:
Santa Sangre
3:10 to Yuma I guess?
Have you seen Margin call? It's pretty good. Maybe not not stylistically related at all, or on the level of economics analysis, but enjoyable and about wall street.

The Homesman. Bonus points for roastie hitting the wall and getting desperate for provider in this one.

holy balls if you liked this snore fest, go watch high and low

Yeah, bonus points for Sup Forums+/r9k/ projection

I've just accurately described the female lead in that movie though. Don't hate me for it.

Did I read wrong or you just said Rear Window is a 'snore fest'?

It was shit, but watch The Thirst

bait . . .

De Sade
Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom
Quiet Days in Clichy (both 1970 and 1990 versions)
Last Tango in Paris

True Detective Season 2

:)

this ought to do the trick

Dredd (2012), but I bet you already have seen that one.

Captain India 2: The Curry Soldier

The Trial (1962)

Body Double

The Human Condition Trilogy

Haven't seen this but The Sword of Doom is a great samurai film. Also Lone Wolf and Cub

Southern Comfort

Cleo from 5 to 7

Army of Shadows

The Guest

99 Homes

Memories of Murder
Horror of Dracula

Lost Highway
The Master

Year of the Dragon

I bet there is edit 'Poor Little Big Guy"

that Elite Trope brazilin film
Training Day

>Elite Trope
>Trope
>brazilin

>sense of dread
To be fair, in order to get this from me, I need to give a single fuck about anything thats happening. For me, It Follows did not succeed at all. Not to say it didn't for others. But a very cheap and easy way to get certain types of people to care about events, thus experience dread, is to have cute (but not too cute) girl in trouble.

Regarding bone tomahawk, the movie isn't trying to be a horror. It was going more for heart of darkness in the old west. At which it succeeded very admirably due to how it establishes the characters and setting and when the characters finally descend into darkness, and its shown how completely out of their depth they are, it touches upon some decent horror themes honestly and cleanly, despite the cute (but not too cute) girl in trouble.

Thirteenth Warrior if you like inbred caveman murder

taste of cherry

Help me out lads

Quite a masterwork

Yeah, I wish someone could rec me something similar

nothing is like this masterpiece

true grit
la antena
liquid sky
closer

>liquid sky

man this one was kinda hard to watch at times

BULLSHIT ARTIST
U R
L T
L I
S S
H T
I
T

Fuck This

I expected a western but got grossed out of my fucking mind...

Good movie, but not to watch more than once.

>another one learns the hard way that trick doesn't work
lmao

Fury

>Southern Comfort
The 1981 one?
Thanks for the recommend btw, never heard of it before.

taken 3