What the fuck was his problem?

What the fuck was his problem?

Got a bad haircut one day and just flipped

He was a psycopath who was about "business" but it's clear as day he gets off on being a god in the sense that he's your end, he's the coinflip.

or as Patrice O'neal would say: end of your life guy

but the real answer is he wanted his money

ROLL IT

Why did he care about the money so much? He doesn't seem like the type who would.

Principle.

Everybody cares about money.

What's the thesis of this movie? I liked it but I think the core themes went over my head.

in the book he brings the money back and makes a deal

>clear as day he gets off on being a god in the sense that he's your end, he's the coinflip

Eh, yes and no. He's well aware that his whole boogeyman "agent of chaos" performance doesn't mean anything.

That's the point of his whole line to the store clerk about the coin being lucky. Something like "Don't put it in your pocket. That's your lucky quarter. You put it in your pocket and its get mixed in with all the others and becomes just a coin. Which, of course, it is."

He's saying that we can choose to ascribe significance to the quarter as determining the shop clerk's fate, or recognize the reality which is that it had no say in the matter at all, which is basically the case for him and his whole Two-Face routine in general.

He's the world, or criminal world that keeps changing and scares off lone sheriffs

Nihilism.

A flat recognition of the fact that things simply are what they are, the universe does not subscribe to any human notions of morality and good vs evil, that it has always been this way, and that is only human egoism that tempts us to think otherwise (e.g. "The world is getting worse everyday. It wasn't like this back in my day").

He doesn't hold the milk bottle at the top so it stays cool for a longer period of time.

He doesn't care about the money.

On its surface the film's narrative is simply about a man who stumbles across more money than he is willing to let go of, and which he loses his life for in as he is hunted by a psychopath. The film is actually attempting to explore something quite different. Lets get into some context here for reference points. The name of the film, and book, is taken from a line of a poem by Yeats called “Sailing to Byzantium”. The poem explores the idea of the cycle of life, the inevitability of human death, and the implications this understanding has on our focuses in life. The poem suggests that we should abandon our obsessions with the temporary and tribute ourselves to the things that will outlast us. That's what the film is drawing on, and it explores very similar themes, and uses its narrative structure among other tools to emphasise these points. The driving motivation of the film for the supposed protagonist Llewelyn is no doubt the money. But, as the film begins to come to a close, the meaninglessness of both this desire, and what would be assumed to be the climax of the main plot of the film, is cemented as Llewelyn is killed off screen, and the money as a plot-element fades into the background without a word. The actual protagonist of the film is Tommy Lee Jones' character Sheriff Bill (as he is in the book the movie was adapted from), and it is a realisation about the cycle of human life that he comes to following the events played out between Llewelyn and Chigurh.

1/2

>google a sentence from this to see where it's from
>it's OC
>actual film analysis on Sup Forums

nice, pls continue

Been thinking about watching this with my dad. Should I tell him the sheriff is the main character?

Sheriff Bill's speeches bookend the film, and lay out this realisation, completing the narrative arc and the subtext of the film. Bill's last speech speaks of two dreams involving his deceased father. In the first, he has been given money by his father, but as he says, “I think I lost it”. The fact that he does not even remember if he did is important, as again the money is not an object of importance here. In the second dream Bill's father “rides on ahead... fixing to make a fire in all that darkness” and he says he knows that whenever he himself arrives, his father will be there waiting. In this he is referring to the afterlife, and again the cycle of human life.

So yes, if you haven't already guessed it, the film's main theme is nihilism, and it is Chigurgh that embodies this best in any of the characters. He can even perhaps be considered the human form of the nihilistic themes of the film. He has little to no regard for the value of human life and happily lets its end be decided by random chance in the toss of a coin. He acts as an ex machina, furthering the points of the film. It has nothing to do with the money.

No. It's purposefully done this way. Let him watch as the Coens intended.

Don't tell him anything, just let him experience the film and then talk about it afterwards if you want.

Spot on, good analysis

Really got my almonds firin

Someone drank his milkshake

He was abused by his father, bullied by his friends, and a kissless virgin. Also likely a Muslim.