Will they finally get cosmic Lovecraftian horror right?

Will they finally get cosmic Lovecraftian horror right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aUozFOlxVnM
youtube.com/watch?v=cML814JD09g
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

no one can, you idiot.

how do you get right something that is written so vague? FFS the paranormal activity movies might as well be lovecraftian OH SHIT WHAT MOVED THE TABLE

Yeah but this has cult members and tentacles and shit

one of the fundamental principles of lovecraft's work is "trying to imagine that which cannot be imagined" which translates to "try to show that which cannot be shown" which is, understandably, a difficult thing to do

Nice memes.

DUDE TRIANGLES LMAO

Dagon was as close as they'll ever get, at least for me.

this is memetic faggotry. if anything Lovecraft describes anything and everything like rarely any author does. 80% of the words in his stories are adjectives for fuck's sake.
if you think Lovecraft is unfilmable you are one of those kind of retards who said the Lotr books were not filmable.
You can very well create suspense, dread and horror within the boundaries of film if you actually give a shit and approach it from the right angle. It just wouldn't be successful because normie shit eaters want flashy trash and explosion thrown at them and absolutely everything explained and spoonfed of what exactly is happening at any given moment like the drooling lobotomised buffoons they are.

>obtuse stories about bizarre things happening to non-characters
Why hasn't anyone got Refn to do a lovecraft movie yet?

>if you think Lovecraft is unfilmable

Not what I said~

Honestly they should just start with 19th/early 20th century-themed adventures and work their way up to the more dreadful revelations.

I'd honestly like to see more archaeologists exploring ancient ruins from times immemorial, monuments and tombs and inscriptions so old that they could only come from civilizations that predate any known human societies.

There's just so much opportunity to really give audiences a sensation of feeling so small and insignificant in the grand scheme of things, that there could've been whole epochs of advanced societies that worshiped unknown deities from beyond our dimension.

Then you can slowly have the cosmic horror aspect seep in as each discovery becomes more unsettling and humanity's role and ultimate insignificance is gradually revealed.

>implying Carpenter hasn't already done that at least 3 times

It's only vague if you have 0 imagination.

Hell it's not vague at all, read a book sometime.

>read a book sometime.

Y'know what, maybe I will!

Excellent :)

>implying he's done it right even once

DUDE TENTACLES AND EYEBALLS AND SHOULD NOT BE LMAO

If people don't want to read Lovecraft because of meme criticisms, that's GREAT. Less people to take his ideas and fuck them up with.

This movie looks like shit though.

My erection now is just as hard as it was when I was INSIDE A REAL LADY (who co-incidentally is pretty hot AND I love her.) .

I would love to see a movie adaptation of The Shadow over Innsmouth.
At the Mountains of Madness, Herbert West: Reanimator, or the Dunwich Horror would also be some of the more adaptable of Lovecraft's stories.

The problem with Lovecraft is, regardless of his particular use of imagery, his main character's are fairly bland for the purpose of letting the reader imagine themself as the character. Hollywood would probably fuck this up by getting a metaphorical or literal Ryan Gosling to play their lead.

I'm very excited for this film in all it's low budget glory but while it does have lovecraftian elements, it is first and foremost a gross out film with lots of emphasis on what we ARE seeing. And lovecraft's most important concept is the unknowable, the unseen.

>the unseen
not really, if anything you are probably meaning the unfathomable.

no

You've seen it?

they already did.

>adapting horror that is supposed to be indescribable to a visual medium

No

someone up to the task of making impressive and revolutionary disorienting effects could do it, but this film's just about sucking Carpenter's dick so.

The best Lovecraftian horror is The Ninth Gate.

Holy fuck. I love long setups like this. It builds as normal with slightly sinister undertones and then by the end it becomes overt, gradually increasing as it goes on

Are there any movies like this?

That's said to be based around WH40K not lovecraft

details aside, they're sort of expressions of the same kind of larger and consuming horror.

nice semantics faggot, screw off

No but I've seen all the trailers and read the reviews and the kickstarter updates. This is a movie with a ton of low budget practical fx, creatures, props, gore, etc. Some of it apparently looks pretty good and some of it looks pretty cheesy. But one thing everyone seems to agree on is that there is plenty to see, it's not going to be a film full of people staring into doors with nothing but blackness staring back.

sorry if you can't PERCEIVE a difference between vision and comprehension

I'd say the Ninth Gate is the best movie you're going to find with this kind of feel.

Not necessarily. The Chaos Gods can only survive if the living beings in real space exert the emotions associated with them. If all the beings died out, the Chaos Gods would cease to exist, while the gods in Lovecraft live regardless if there is life in the universe

The computer game "eternal darkness" did it really well. The format allows the story to span millennia, which I think gives it the epic scale needed fur lovecraft

fite me IRL nigger post address and last 4 of social so i kno its you

Prince of darkness, mouth of madness, and what's the third?

da ting

Reanimator
Dark city

FUCK OFF with these fucking shill threads this movie looks terrible as is all content created by 30something numales with misplaced 80s nostalgia, go viral market it on reddit or fucking imgur

no one has anything nice to say about the film, and your post is the shittiest of them all desu.

pipe down

>someone up to the task of making impressive and revolutionary disorienting effects
I've got a handful of ideas with what you could with 3D, but the problem is the studios dont like fucking with the audience that way.
But there are things that you can do that would genuinely be creepy as fuck and could create a really dreadful atmosphere.
Coraline really used 3D well. It did things like changing the distance between the cameras in the other world, so its constantly fucking with you and subconsciously informing you that something is weird and "off" about the world.
You could even take it farther and film different scenes in the right and left camera. Like imagine a guy going crazy in an evil dead type situation.
He starts to see these demons coming for him and he grabs an axe to defend himself. In the right channel you see this really creepy evil world with the demons coming, whilethe other channel shows a more objective view and you see hes really murdering his family. Right before he axes his daughter both cameras switch to the fantasy as hes about to connect.
Just an idea off the top of my head, but it would be a good use of the medium beyond the meme appeal.

the void is shit. It's like a B grade horror flick like really cheap

Well I feel like a stupid asshole now.

Die Farbe is by far the best Lovecraftian movie I've ever seen.

I think the biggest thing most of them miss is the air of hopelessness and existential dread. Lovecraft is more than just 5-th dimensional tentacle monsters that make your head explode.

What's wrong with Into the Mouth of Madness?

What a fucking meme writer. I wish I thought of writing a scary book and then saying, and he saw.... IT. It was so scary, I can't even describe it!!!!

I have never seen someone miss the point this fucking hard.

The only way they could make an effective Lovecraftian movie would be to start it out as something completely innocent and spiral into madness as it goes on.

Like Hot Fuzz but scary.

>believing what some idiot on Sup Forums tells you

this fucking cheesefest of a film is not even remotely close to lovecraft. i love it for its goofiness but it's not what op is talking about, at all

Kill List and The Wicker Man come to mind, although not Lovecraftian.

>cheesefest
nigga wut

hes not making it up. you're out of he loop.

Hellboy.

>cheesefest

Good examples but I'm speaking more of something absolutely not marketed as horror whatsoever

Think if Indiana Jones turned into eldritch horror partway through the first movie.

The cat would be out of the bag before the movie even made it to theaters.
Did From Dusk Til Dawn even fool anyone when it first came out?

YES YES 100 TIMES YES

This movie is great.

>Think if Indiana Jones turned into eldritch horror partway through the first movie.
You mean like the cult of kali ripping peoples hearts out, human sacrifice, and child slavery?
Kali worship is basically irl lovecraftian tier shit.

>daily Lovecraft thread
RIP Sup Forums

He's right though. The movie is like a fucking nu-metal music video.

Also, did you just forget about the wacky black guy and his funny one-liners and he floats through space and then jetpacks back to the ship?

youtube.com/watch?v=aUozFOlxVnM

Will this be the Babadook of 2017?

Movie looks great, fuck you salty contrarians.

Hoping this will strike that perfect balance between hardcore mainline cosmic horror, and pulpy shock goodness.

I'll watch it for the SFX if nothing else.

How do you depict "indescribable horror"?

>From the Executive Producer of The Witch

>vague

I've only read The Shadow Over Innsmouth and it spent forever describing everything

see this exchange and consider

way 2 be gay

>cosmic Lovecraftian horror

AKA Reddit spoopy

RELEASE DATE
March 31, 2017 (UK)
April 7, 2017 (VOD)(Limited)

RELEASE DATE
March 31, 2017 (UK)

RELEASE DATE
March 31, 2017 (UK)

we hype or what?

Kill yourself

brb killing myself

hi

hello

My memory of many of his stories is that he provides a lot of descriptive features of the various horrible things (tentacles, fangs, claws) without actually indicating what it looks like (size, shape, etc).

Rather than calling it unfilmable, why wouldn't you see that as impossible to do wrong? He left the important things open for our worst fears to fill in the blanks. I'd give a good filmmaker a chance at going for it

>April 7, 2017 (VOD)(Limited)

I will definitely be making a VOD Friday thread for this movie.

I'm more hyped about this The Void to be honest
youtube.com/watch?v=cML814JD09g

>Pure cosmic dread

What did they mean by this?

that feeling when you know you're gonna drop spaghetti but you can't stop yourself

>VR meme

this is a scam

story?

Jessi got fired for stealing the gems

Sounds like it would be an awesome television series if it didn't get canceled in the first season.

who's the director ?

They'll never get Lovecractian horror right because miscegenation doesn't scare people the way it used to.

Have you looked at who is President?

Yeah but modern america's hatred of black people comes from over-proximity, not fear, of the Other.

We don't hate niggers. We just want them gone so they don't slow us down, hurt us, and leech off us.

>Dagon

Fuck I completely forgot about that movie.