When was the last time liverpool was a top tier club? a destination, not a stepping stone for elite players?

when was the last time liverpool was a top tier club? a destination, not a stepping stone for elite players?

They playing last 16 in CL

a more pertinent question would be
why do all EPL clubs spend ridiculous amounts of money on players who aren't even world class?
I really don't get this

Ever since Salah, عليه السلام, joined the club

2008/2009 after that season all best players started to leave the club.

>tfw sterling is now the best player of the 3

did not see that coming desu

Never you literally cannot I repeat you cannot name a single top proven player that joined liverpool in this century

>he says, as Barca just spent £160m on a player who is not world class

Jari Litmanen

Xabi Alonso won UCL, Euro, WC and was key player in every title

>(you)

yeah, but he turned into a world class player there

only elite at ajax
he just kept moving from club to club with no remarkable moments but i guess that's as close as it gets

In the 80's?

Xabi went to Madrid, Mascherano to Barcelona and Gerrard really wanted to go to Chelsea but was scared of the Liverpool fans.

Every rich club is spending a ridiculous amount of money on players who aren't world class.

They literally just bought Mo Salah. Delete this shitty thread before I report you. Fucking amerifat """"""soccer expert"""""""

its just the market now m8 thats the kind of money u have to spend just to get average players

The 80s. That's just the way it is now, past glory counts for nothing any more, every player would rather play for Manchester City than Liverpool because City have the money that Liverpool don't. It's literally that simple.

They need to buy Northern European players

no Southern European/South American values Liverpool above Real Madrid/Barcelona, from the moment they sign they're waiting to leave

City has the right idea with De Bruyne, he will burn in the sun if he goes to Spain

we are an african club now
they are good loyal boys

Yeah that only works to an extent. Most Northern European countries are full of niggers and assorted shitskins now, and the white ones that are still there are shit with a few exceptions. What Liverpool really need to do is aim for 4th place in the league every season and see if they can go on a run in the Champions League, but it's pretty unlikely they'll ever get far in it. Until they get a billionaire investor they can't hope for any more than this.

Oil countries and Russian billionaires have invaded football, which has caused gross inflation.

>Systembaby
>World class
Sterling is okay, pacy, good runs, has improved his finishing somewhat.

It's literally a political issue. By becoming publicly known figures they make it harder for anyone who wants to attack them to do so. If America decides to cause some shit in Russia or the UAE then suddenly millions of football fans are interested in its implications for Chelsea/Manchester City.

He looked like he was going to be a world beater when he was 17/18, then he slumped, now he's looking good again. I don't think it's a surprise and I don't think he's a systembabby.

PSG is literally controlled by the same people that fund ISIS.

And nobody gives a fuck because people would rather bury their heads in the sand and watch football. But fuck anything that gets in the way of that. There'll be uproar if the people that fund PSG get fucked with.

Sterling is well an truly England’s only high quality winger, if Southgate had clue he’d have a front 3 of lw Ali, st Kane, rw sterling.

oh I didn't know the american government is controlling PSG