Is this movie bad?

Is this movie bad?
Whys no one talking about this?

I only found the Russian version, is there an English language one up senpai?

Yeah at your local theater

It's amazing, but there's an anti-shilling of retards on here saying it's "unrealistic"

The movie was ok. Pretty good build-up but the payoff is shit. The creature starts off unsettling but as it gets bigger the tension dies. The ending was shit as well. Poor man's Shamylan twist and that's saying something.

I love it. Another kino with Jake Gyllenhaal in it.

Because everyone saw it 38 years ago.

Let's take a moment to laugh at the anti-Life shills.

These are legitimate posts by little fucbois who didn't like it because it was "unrealistic"

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

My hands were sweating like crazy during it. Fucking KINO

It's mediocre and derivative. Not even anything too terrible to laugh about aside from the ending. Just totally mediocre.

Literally non of these work.

>drops to a 48% when you filter by top critics

Confirmed pleb shit.

"Logan" was mediocre

But I bet you loved that, didn't you

Oh shit, that's a pretty neat counterargument. Guess I was wrong about this film after all.

You are wrong.

Logan is amazing. And better than Life

Thanks for letting me know. Changing it's score on my letterbox right now.

Not true

>watching hughert jackman cough for 2 hours is amazing

>watching a space station of astronauts in a realistic environment make logical decisions try to stop an alien from destroying earth is mediocre because "it's not realistic enough"

>watching a space station of astronauts in a realistic environment make logical decisions

LOL, artificially stupid in order to further a badly written plot

Beginning was ok, but as soon as they kicked in the 'horror' it became insanely stupid, as was the ending.

You are better of watching Alien again instead of this poor rip-off

>if it's not as good as alien it's bad

>Alien did it first so it has to be better!
Fuck off. This is Alien improved and reimagined for the 21st century. There's no reason to watch alien over this at all.

Elaborate on how it was "artificially stupid"

Please, by all means deconstruct the movie and its glaring plot holes

>Fuck off. This is Alien improved and reimagined for the 21st century.

Improved my ass, they changed Giger's alien into a 'generic monster 1.1', beyond that the story is directly ripped off from Alien, except this time the protagonists keep doing stupid things just to put the crew at risk continously, it's lazy writing and makes you not give a shit about the characters (well atleast Ryan Reynolds was a bit likable despite being generic like the rest of the cast).

So indeed go watch Alien again, this is in no way an improvement unless you mean the overall space effects, when it comes to characters, acting, story, and creature design, Alien is a supremely better movie.

Not bad, but it's not quite kino. There's some really obtuse dialgue, but good pacing and it turns a lot of your expectations on their head. Based Jake steals the show.

Solid "movie". 7/10

>'generic monster 1.1'

My biggest complaint. SPOILER ALERT It's just the same old cgi thing from Stranger Things

If they had used anything remotely practical for the monster, the movie would have gotten a big boost.

but the Stranger things monster is practical

Well, damn. I guess it was. I can't believe it. It LOOKS so much like cgi.

I thought the characters were relatively logical for this kind of movie. They actually did what I kept saying to do.

And if this is an alien ripoff, is Sunshine? Is Pandorum? Or the hundred other spaceship-set horror films that have been made?

bait as hell

>It's amazing
are you also an avid consumer of capeshit films?

My boss was trying to tell me that this was an origin story to the Venom movie. I quit, knowing someone that retarded was in charge of me and being payed more than me

kek

what if he has a scoop and it is lol

Except the Quarantine officer launching herself away from the ISS to Deep space.

I've heard that too. Only this thing isn't black enough to be Venom and has none of the traits of a symbiotic entity.

I thought it was a solid film. The only thing I didn't like about it was the facial design of the alien as it got bigger. Generic Xeno inspired shit. I also saw the final twist coming and it made me laugh when it happened, but I still liked the ending.

I probably would have quit in your situation as well, OP. Life is too short to debase yourself by being a subordinate to a fucking moron.

>Implying the basement dweller who posted this has even a fraction of the balls required to pull off some of this shit

Do you think it was comical, the way Calvin pulled those poor chinamen into the pod? With the pod rocking back and forth as he pulls them into the fuckbox?

>I've now realised I want to be anally penetrated by Calvin

Nice going you fucking idiot.

You're the one that wants to be violently and painfully killed by an alien starfish. I just helped you see it.

It's a typical blockbuster with an atypical ending.

i'm never gonna see this, how does it end? can someone give me a quick rundown on this?

Heres how it ends:

Gyllenhaal gets the idea to bait the thing into escape pod A with him in it so he can override the pilot program and steer it into space. Other survivor lady gets in B and goes off to Earth to tell people not to fuck with mars stuff. It all goes as planned and we see a pod land in Indonesian waters where some fishermen come up to it. We look in the window and see the monster taking up the whole pod with horrifying alien guts and blood everywhere like a wasps nest with Gyllenhaals head showing. He starts screaming not to open it as we cut to British lady screaming in horror as her pod gets shuttled into deep space. The sailors open the door and we cut to an above zoom out shot as more boats approach and horror music places. Cut to credits where Spirit in the Sky plays unfittingly. The end, fuck you.

Fuck off normie.

The last two survivors decide to hop in the escape pods and Jake Gyllenhaal decides to lure Calvin into his pod and send the two of them out into space while Rebecca Ferguson goes back to earth.

Some Asian dudes find the pod in the ocean and it turns out that due to a collision during their escape the trajectories got fucked up so Jake landed on earth with the ayy and Rebecca got JUSTed and is flying out into deep space

I wonder how big Calvin will get with just those three boats of people? Will we eventually see a Cthulhu-sized Calvin attacking San Francisco?

Cosmic horror power rankings:
The Thing > Predator > Calvin > Xenomorph

It depends on how he reproduces. If he reproduces like he grows, I see extinction level events. But if there's some weird incubation period that takes a bit, I can see him being fucked up by humanity

You know, the creature was in a confined environment and wasn't really attacking anything until it was gassed by C02.

Then it only attacked the dindu biologist until after he electrocuted it.
Then it only attacked the mouse after the mouse bit it.
And then it only killed Ryan Reynolds after he flamethrowered it.

After three times, I'd say fuck it and kill everything that moves as well.

I thought of that too. Calvin could have mistaken the C02 as a deliberate attack and feigned death. When the scientist shocked him, being intelligent, he might have decided that scientist was trying to kill him. By the time the other guy set him on fire, it'd be easy to conclude that these beings were threats.

Just doing what he thought he had to do to survive. And all because the fucking scientist couldn't check the lab before bed.

>predator
>cosmic horror

He's from the cosmos and he's horrifying. Yeah I know what HP Lovecraft meant, no I'm not changing it.

That fuckin crippled nig doomed the human race because he got attached to his little pet and wanted to have his legs be fixed by future muscular research

As a microbiologist, these kind of movies always make me sad.

There are so many terrifying ways of making a bacteria or fungus deadly. The idea of a "smart" creature is kind of overplayed.

There are bacteria so sensitive that if you breathe even 10 of them in, they can become fulminate very quickly and kill withing a few days. There are so many more creative ways to die medically. Septic shock, disseminated intravascular coagulation, organ failure, bacterial toxins, byproduct buildup, necrosis, endocarditis, etc. The list of ways to die from bacteria is literally pages long and yet we STILL only go with "whoa dude it's growing" and then it becomes some kind of worm or weird thing and then it goes in your mouth. Fucking boring.

Back in the 70's we launched a lander to Mars in an area we didn't think had ice. On the lander were camera able to take photos. Well, when the lander came down on to the surface, guess what was right under the leg? Ice. And that ice had vaporized into water and was dripping off the underbelly of the lander. We didn't expect this and I guarantee you there were at least a couple mold or bacterial spores there that fell on to the surface of Mars and on to that ice. Are they still alive? Maybe not. But they might be. And what would be the consequence? They would have no competition for resources. They would have an increase in UV light which increases their mutation rate. Could they become hazardous? Would we be able to detect them before they started killing us?

Or what about bacteria in the atmosphere of Venus. Possibly feeding off the atmosphere and remaining in a buoyancy zone without our knowing.

I'm tired of the same old formula when there really is so much more out there.

Calvin would never have been safe outside of containment, of course. They wouldn't have been able to feed him and he would have attacked, but it would have taken longer.

Since bacteria and fungus are microscopic, you wouldn't be able to see the clear threat and watching scientists scramble to find a cure/treatment for two hours would be boring, unless it "zombified" the host.

?
It's standard as fuck for the genre

The monster was too cute to be regarded as scary. It was like watching a fluffy squid with butterfly wings.
I liked it, but once again, nothing since "Alien" or "it" has shocked us in many ways.

This to be honest. The reason they make an "intelligent" creature is because it creates a visual cue that can be fought by conventional means. An enemy that can be fought, which drives the narrative theme of the story.

If you made a movie about a virus that didn't do anything except kill you in a cool scary way, then you'd have another plague survival drama like that on Dustin Hoffman movie. Yeah its medically accurate but there's no clear villain to root against and no story narrative. It becomes melodramatic.

>modern space/high tech movie
>has a black man as part of the crew

Every single time

>Sup Forums poster on Sup Forums
Every single time

Not necessarily. Bacteria grow into macroscopic colonies on agar plates with identifying characteristics, such as hemolysis on blood agar plates indicating it can break down red blood cells as an energy source.

And if that bacteria is small enough to leave through the air filtration, degrade plastics, permeate through latex/nitrile gloves, was found in areas it wasn't expected, etc. then the enemy would become visible through the infectious process.

Imagine a person having gas gangrene, where the tissue swells into a black bubble full of toxic rotten flesh, or necrotizing fasciitis, where the skin and muscle is eaten away to the bone, in space. How the fuck could you possibly deal with that? How could you quarantine a person in such a small environment? How could you ensure no contamination? Do you help the person or let them die in the capsule next to you? What are the psychological effects?

I will admit the focus would be less on the human vs alien and more on human vs human as people would have differing opinions and it would become a mad house to avoid getting infected yourself.

It does sound interesting, but turning it into the plot of a horror movie without trampling over realism, to the extreme displeasure of people like yourself would be impossible in Hollywood at this time.

They used some cgi on it (pic related, to conceal the guy in the suit) but yeah it was practical, a combination of suit and animatronics. They used air to make the flaps of the head of move.

I didn't know RDJ was in that costume

This. Pay for one ticket, sneak in people through the back door, collect a large empty bucket of popcorn and an empty large soda, then proceed to watch movies all day while getting refills from both. Maybe $10 for all of this.

I agree. Hollywood fails to realize that truth really can be stranger than fiction.

I worked for a clinic in Africa for a while (I was wanting to be a med fag because I was naive) and the things I saw were ridiculous. Women with half their face necrotized to the point that you could see most of their skull. Men with parasites crawling literally through their eyeballs. Hundreds of parasites forming nodules that when you cut them burst into a foray of wriggling worms. Children with their toes literally falling off with the slightest touch as though they were made of ash.

I once saw a man go into DIC (disseminated intravascular coagulation) so heavily that when we took a large postmortem specimen off his abdomen, he didn't have a single drop of blood. His entire blood stream had clotted into a thick hard mass.

It's disappointing that directors don't go out to talk more with professionals to create things with more flavor to them. It just feels lazy to me.

This, american horror movies these days don't know how to make a creepy/scary/unsettling monster/creature/ghost/something anymore.

So the escape pods didn't have any kind of drivable mechanism?

Because Hollywood is lazy and corrupt and greedy. And fascinating stuff like this does not appeal to the majority of their audience. Those are people with short attention spans that need every bit of information spoon fed to them.

I'm a little above average intelligence, I'd say, and not at all well-educated in medicine or diseases, but it is very interesting and I'd love to see more films about it.

I enjoyed it a lot. Kept me on the edge of my seat.