Just got back from watching this movie. And now I realize why I hate these new age science movies...

Just got back from watching this movie. And now I realize why I hate these new age science movies. The whole time I couldn't look past all the errors and fuck-ups they made in orbital mechanics and physics. You'd think someone making a movie about the ISS would actually take the time to learn how the thing operates.

Idk, I'm kind of a space / rocket geek so the flaws in the science were overly glaring to me. You'd have though hollywood would have learned it's lesson from the Gravity failure but I guess not.

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IdiotPlot
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interplanetary_contamination
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fuck this board moves fast.

Nobody else has seen this movie?

Every single character was fucking retarded even though they were astronauts/scientists.

>make a film
>say it's a realistic Alien
>everyone is dumb
>things don't make sense
>no science in it at all

I don't understand how a fuckin paraplegic makes it as an astronaut . The exams and physicals you have to go through are insane, if you have even a cold they won't let you fly much less live on the space station for months at a time.

The inaccuracies killed the movie for me = /

This.

You're telling me that there is no nuke/incenaration option for the lab?

These guys clearly never played KSP. You can't just fly off into deep space with a poof like earths gravity doesn't exist.

For those wondering how you do it, you burn prograde until your speed will eventually kick you out into deep space on the other side of the orbit.

Also their aren't life boats on the ISS. They have a Soyuz which takes them to and from the station that can definitely fit more than 1 person.

How does discovering extraterrestrial life answer our life's "meaning"?
And why weren't they excited when they discovered the cell at first? It had to move before they considered it an exciting discovery? What?

See as a huge fan of creature features I enjoyed it for the most part. The monster's last form we see was great and pretty original.

My biggest problem was how we know the creature can get bigger by eating things then just proceeds to just kill people and move on. They could have gotten much more creative with the design but decided not to, probably for budget reasons. And at the end it had the perfect opportunity to show us its final form and basically just faded to black instead.

Yeah, finding a cell on mars is everyday shit apparently. The paraplegic was expecting to be alive and was let down at first. You have definitive proof of life on another planet and you're disappointed.

Also, I'm pretty sure the protocol for finding a cell on mars would be to take extreme caution, not poke at it, and return it to earth with as extreme care as could be taken.

To be fair that wouldn't make a good movie though.

I did see it this Friday and it was terrible.

If you think about it, that black guy was who fucked everyone over.

>Alien goes dormant after some sort of envirochange in the lab because he fucked up
>Pokes alien with an electro stick trying to wake it up (SEEMS LIKE A GOOD IDEA RIGHT GUYS XD)
>Alien becomes full aggro after being shocked by the black guy.
>Crew has to break quarantine to get him out and the alien escapes and kills everyone.

They should've just gassed the room. Acceptable casualty imo.

>ISS, this is mission control requesting update on preliminary analysis of specimen.
>Hang on, mission control, the cripple is still sticking his finger in it.

Yeah, wasn't the handicapped black dude already being called on for getting emotionally attached to an alien lifeform that they knew exactly squat about?

And I'm pretty sure he let the thing feed on his leg while they were all in the room and cutting lifesupport to the rest of the station. Didn't he feel his leg while they were all just talking about nothing?

Of course not you fuckwit, its a fucking soil sample, it represents no realistic threat. The only reason you think it does is because your thinking in terms of a horror movie. Basic biohazard containment is all thats necessary realistically. There are multitudes of retarded shit in the movie, that isn't one of them.

They were trying hit there diversity quota.
So happens to be he hit every single box:
>minority
>disabled

Pretty sure he couldn't feel his legs or was crippled. It attached its self to his leg when they were sealing up the ship to drain the oxygen.

>gravity
>failure

how can you be this out of touch?

Fucking this.

5 seconds of fucking RCS burn isn't anywhere near enough to go from stable orbit to a decaying one. Hell, even if you spent every ounce of RCS fuel onboard that might not even do it, that shit is meant for minor course corrections.

>I've succeeding in teaching the alien to hate.
Good job dude.

They did it to leave it at the viewers imagination.

Pic related is it's final form

>Gravity failure

>Critically acclaimed
>700 million on a 100m budget
>Praised by NASA as being extremely scientifically accurate

What the fuck are you on about?

yeah, the guy was clearly trying to compensate/prove something how the fuck did he get passed the psych eval?

Alright, so could the alien reproduce by tearing off its own arm or what? They said it was trillions of cells working in cooperation rather than a single thing, the creature grew from a single cell, doesn't that mean every time it so much as shed some epidermis from abrasion it's creating millions of potential Calvin babies?

If so, Earth is completely and utterly fucked, moment it touched down humanity is doomed. If not, it kills a couple thousand people before we stop it, no biggie.

You posted this exact comment yesterday. The firewall 1, 2 and 3 are proof they were treating it as a real threat and not just a soil sample.

>100% Muscle
>100% Brain
>100% Eye

I kekked

Gravity fucked up physics and space flight in an unforgivable way. The namesake of the movie and they couldn't get it right.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson even tore this movie a new one for fucking up simple laws of gravity.

There were lifeboats planned, but they were basically pods where you would sit hoping for the Russians to come rescue you.

t. basement dweller with zero knowledge of anything having to do with gravity or outer space

I still don't really understand how the thing operates. It got bigger after Reynolds shot it with fire, right? Was it eating people? Did it eat Reynolds' guts? It kind of looked like it damn near skeletonized the rat. How does a creature with no organs eat? What was making it grow?

lolwut. Orbital mechanics and physics are pretty basic and understandable. If you thought gravity was accurate then you have zero knowledge.

Gravity sucked, get over it.

I think first post was sarcasm. To be fair though, in alien they were are an ore carrying ship, and aliens was a military operation.

It was a 'let's make the characters do really dumb things to further the plot' type movie, you know, like your typical shitty slasher.

It's a shame, because with some actual decent writing they could have made a story where you cared about the characters by having them not be retards, also the fucking end monster looked like they reused the cgi from Stranger Things.

And that shitty end twist...

Was hoping for a great sci-fi horror, got a poor Alien rip-off with only one redeeming quality being better shots of space (probably re-cycled from Gravity).

Why oh why does horror have to be so fucking stupid these days ?

I liked it!

Honestly I can see why people liked this but I'm just too much of a science autist to let the inaccuracies slide.

>mfw Calvin didn't eat or rape any of the girls

>sergeant chingchong opening the door and decompressing the entire station
>air slowly leaking out when exposed to the vacuum of space

It didn't get bigger after it got flamethrowered. I got bigger after it ate his insides though yeah. Btw, does anyone remember the names of fucking anyone in the movie? All I remember is Sho and Calvin.

The creature doesn't seem to make sense biologically, but iunno, maybe the individual cells can do whatever they need to.

>air slowly leaking out when exposed to the vacuum of space
That's accurate though.

Uh, Ryan Reynolds, Commander girl, Crippled black dude, Brokeback mountain, Sho, and Dyke girl?

The stations pretty big, it wouldn't just instantly escape. Unless you do the math, calculate the flow rate based on the opening, I don't see a problem with it.

At first, I thought it just basically absorbs and assimilates its prey in order to grow larger, but they didn't keep with that and it basically just stayed the size of a boston terrier.

And we'll never know what the hell it was doing to Jake at the end.

I'm not 100% sure but I would have to think that the ISS has systems in place in case of depressurization.

>And we'll never know what the hell it was doing to Jake at the end.

Oh you know it involved tentacles and orifices.

I'm not 100% sure what they were going for. It changed so much that I don't think the producers knew what they wanted. It turned into a cell that was Brain, Muscle etc. and then it ended up having a face and wings.

>mfw no brokeback mountain inspired scene with Ryan Reynolds and Jake Gyllenhaal

Right looks like Irys

fuck off nerd no one cares

Yeah, it wasn't bad but I was let down by the deaths. The mouse was really cool looking and I was hoping to see that happen to a human, but the rest of the deaths were pretty boring. Fun ending though

Hmm you seem to have replied so you must care somewhere right?

>feel his leg
But he did say 'sorry'. He was either apologizing for that, or for Deadpool and the Russian dying.

If I remember he was rubbing it. And he was looking right at the thing before the scene cut. He HAD to have known that it was there. Not to mention he was talking about how he felt sorry for it.

That nigga killed his friends and the planet.

Calvin could've been sleeping so they'd take him back to earth, but if anything they shouldn't have tried the escape pod plan and just died in the ISS

You know ISS is science fiction right? NASA only exists to embezzle money from the US government while posturing as a research organization. All rocket launches have elliptical trajectories, because if they went straight up, they'd hit the firmament.

NASA is a satanic lie and this movie is just as legitimate as it

There is a reason you only run into these retards on the internet.

No one actually believes this tinfoil hat nonsense.

>That nigga killed his friends and the planet.
Does that creature really represent a threat to the entire planet? I'm not sure if it can reproduce. It sounds like it should've been able to but didn't. It might just be a 1 off.

Hes just trolling and you took the bait.

>dead man's switch that requires you to keep it depressed the entire time
Escape pods were a dumb plan

I guess he did, I don't really follow what is bait topics and what not. And I kind of called him out for not being honest so did I take the bait in the end? These seem like philosophical questions for greater minds than my own.

There didn't seem to be a way to kill it. And I guess we don't know about reproduction, I think someone above mentioned that if a cell fell off it would start evolving again. I doubt the creators went that deep into a story though.

Why would it reproduce on the ship? It could barely support itself on coolant and dead astronauts.

>The whole time I couldn't look past all the errors and fuck-ups they made in orbital mechanics and physics.

Yeah, opposed to all those other sci-fi movies that accurately depict physics like... umm... I guess 2001 and... umm... you know... the other films that do it.

I think Interstellar did a pretty decent job with relativity. Apollo 13 did a great job as well.

>can't counter any of my claims
>hurr durr space is real, I've seen it in the movies
great brain, truly a genius in the rough

Ah, and The Martian really set the bar high for science flicks. Expect I don't think it's really possible to turn around and head back to Mars regardless of how much Delta V you have. You have to wait for launch windows for a reason.

>Expect I don't think it's really possible to turn around and head back to Mars regardless of how much Delta V you have
What?

That's literally the only limitation on space maneuvers. If you have enough you can.

Is there anyone on Earth that can beat Calvin? I'm not talking single-celled Calvin being fed glucose after spending millions of years in stasis, heck, I'm not even talking about Calvin after consuming an entire lab rat and obtaining fire retardancy after facing Rory and the Incinerator. I'm talking about multi-appendaged Calvin equipped with a set of fully functional space wings and a semi expressive face after receiving the biologist's blessing to kill all life on Earth and being released from the escape pod by Vietnamese fishermen using the ol' Jake Gyllenhaal bait and switch with the "intelligence not to be underestimated" powerup after breaking through firewalls 1, 2, 3a and 3b?

Okay,barring ludicrous amounts of DV, you would need to wait for the launch window to have any hope of making it to Mars in a reasonable time frame.

Iunno, being a nonexpert, it sounded like a reasonable thing. 9 Months of flight on a very clever slingshot course doesn't stretch my disbelief much. I know some points are worse than others, Mars could be on the exact opposite side of the system but it's not like the movies gonna give us that much detail. It's hardly an egregious thing.

All they had to do was remove the oxygen from the original container at the beginning of the movie. They could have sent it into hibernation again.

It's been a while since I've watched it but from what I know of orbital mechanics it would be incredibly hard to get into a realistic rendezvous, due to the fact that a lot of the time you would be needing to wait for mars to catch up to you instead you you aiming for mars, if that makes sense.

Again I'd have to go back and watch it to see what they worked out. I just know that is one of the major problems that they are working on for a mission to mars. If they send a man to mars then they will need to have enough supplies and life support to stay their until a launch window opens up and they can make a hohmann transfer back to earth.

Again if I am right that would be a pretty minor complaint compared to the ones I have with this and Gravity. I still get mad at gravity for killing off George Clooney when all she had to do was give a slight tug on the rope and he would have came drifting towards her.

>due to the fact that a lot of the time you would be needing to wait for mars to catch up to you instead you you aiming for mars
But thats not what you do, you don't aim for Mars, you aim for where Mars will be in 9 months time and start heading there from the start.

Plus its set in 2035 so they can handwave it away by saying the propulsion systems are far more efficient and powerful than what we have now opening up more launch opportunities and giving them more leeway.

The fire system went off and they started panicking. Unless you mean after that

>gravity failure
Sorry dude. Retards lapped that shit up like a thirsty dog.

Definitely had a few holes here and there but I thought it was well done. Definitely got me a couple times. Especially the part when Calvin ate Ryan Renolds insides.

My only question is how does Calvin reproduce? Seems like it could be able to break off a small piece of itself and create another Calvin. If thats the case then Earth is totally fucked.

While that is true unless you are looking to cancel out all of your velocity relative to the sun. Roughly 18 Miles/second of delta V, and the move towards Mars and capture the gravity of mars another 18 miles/ second of Delta V. I'm sure I'm wrong here but that is what would be needed just to stop your velocity much less start going the other way, assuming mars is that far behind you. The cost wouldn't be cheap, but I feel like I'm nitpicking at that point, and for all I know a window was open the minute they did the slingshot maneuver

Does Calvin eventually kill those kids from the school that named him?

Is English not your first language? Just curious

I looked up the DV necessary to go from LEO to Mars transfer orbit and its only 4km/s at a good launch window, where did you get the 18 from? And Jesus dude, its a slingshot maneuver, they never reduced their velocity to 0 and started burning in the other direction. They went into earth orbit, turned around, sped up using the gravity assist, and pointed themselves in the direction of Mars. They only started decelerating half way to Mars presumably. Maybe not cheap but easily within the realm of plausibility.

Thank you, Neil DeGrasse Tycon.

Life is shit because it takes all the worst things from Alien, Prometheus, and The Thing, and turns it into a stupid killer starfish/squid in space.

In Life, every single human just exists to move along an Idiot Plot.

I was replying to his statement that you could get to mars regardless of its position. Even a worst case scenario where you have to backwards relative to earth. Earth is moving at 18 Miles/ second relative to the sun. You would need to cancel all of that velocity just to stop moving, much less start moving in the other direction where you want to encounter Mars. Again, this is assuming you can't wait for a launch window, similar to the situation of the martian.

So assuming you start burning fuel retrograde relative to earths orbit and flew towards Mars you would again need to cancel out all of your velocity in that direction and burn in a direction that would catch you up with Mars' relative velocity to gain an orbit (which would be at least another 18Miles/second of Delta V)

Honestly, if the movie had featured Tardigrades it would have been more interesting. Aka Water Bears, they've been around 500 million years, they've survived 5 extinction events, they can live without water, live without space, can go dormant and be revived.

But no, we get a space starfish that can grow unbelievably fast.

And they never once considered that the soil samples from Mars had been forward contaiminated from Earth.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interplanetary_contamination
>Current space missions are governed by the Outer Space Treaty and the COSPAR guidelines for planetary protection. Forward contamination is prevented primarily by sterilizing the spacecraft. In the case of backward contamination, however, the aim of the mission is to return biological material from foreign planets to Earth if such exists, and sterilization of the samples would make them of much less interest. So, back contamination would be prevented mainly by containment, and breaking the chain of contact between the foreign planet of origin and Earth. It would also require quarantine procedures for the materials and for anyone who comes into contact with them.

The film breaks so many quarantine protocols it's simply inexcusable.

Oh wow, it kills the black guy. So lower the O2 levels just like they did 75% of the way into the film.

>You have definitive proof of life on another planet and you're disappointed.

Honestly, I think it would be the same if we found a germ on Mars.

Techno-utopians act like it would be some amazing feeling, but who cares, it's just a germ? Plus, the germ could have hitched a ride from Earth on several spacecraft/rovers/etc.

They need to sequence its DNA. And that probably wouldn't make for an exciting movie.

And they also called it "Calvin", humanizing what could have amounted to "space anthrax."

Life is just a horrible, terrible B-movie with two big name actors.

>>Praised by NASA as being extremely scientifically accurate

Which movie are you talking about?

Do you know you're in a Life thread?

It's a film, not a documentary.

All those tentacles

Didn't do a damn thing with them

Dissapointing desu

The idea is that if Mars could create and support life then it makes the chances of life on other planets in our galaxy far more likely. Finding life on another planet in our own solar system would be the greatest discovery of our race.

No, Asians save the Earth because they will eat fucking anything. Asians think space squid is fucking delicious.

It's a Space Tentacle that grows, probably at least by consuming blood.

It's Little Shop of Horrors in space.

>It was a 'let's make the characters do really dumb things to further the plot' type movie

It takes the Idiot Plot of Prometheus, the guy taking off his mask and looking at the facehugger, but clones that idiot so he's the whole crew.

It wasn't a squid at the end

Thank you, Gene Ray.

Maybe I'm talking about the movie I said I was talking about?

>Is there anyone on Earth that can beat Calvin?

Yes. Asians will eat anything.

The movie where George clooney gets killed by phantom forces because the plot needs him to die there?

I don't understand why its final form had a head. I mean its entire body was a brain and an eye, what purpose did its head serve?

Okay. But germs on other planets don't really matter. People on Earth don't even care much about Earth germs.

It's not like most humans on Earth care about non-humans on Earth.

It's ridiculous for humans to let large animals on Earth go extinct, while they cream their jeans about the possibility of a germ on Mars.

>firewall 3: if everything fails, ram the entire station into space
>chingchong goes in full "fuck everything" mode and opened the hatch with a crank handle
>there was not some single precaution to prevent the contact between the doomed astronauts

It's a space squid, with a face that opens like Predator.

Oh that makes sense.