/lang/ - Language Learning General

milk edition

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Learning resources
Check """pastebin.com/ACEmVqua""" for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides. /lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

>drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!xHJ2Ubpa!BnTmvmFlo7cVaOTiRff0HvtRAuMmrQtIO0nIEWUqTGg
francaisfacile.com/index.php
connectigramme.com/index.htm
lepointdufle.net/p/prepositions.htm
esjmlima.prof2000.pt/grafran/GUI_GRU-M.HTM
youtube.com/channel/UCVXiRA9Y7kTadGN_nlzt0Fg
linguo.tv/videos
lefigaro.fr/
journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0269881117735687
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

QUICK, EASIEST LANGUAGE TO LEARN

GO

Sanskrit

English

English

what're you learning user?

Spanish question pls.

Does "Pero mi esposo y yo tuvimos muy divertida" translate to "But my husband and I had a lot of fun"? Is that an already way to say that?

I'd say "Pero mi esposo y yo tuvimos mucha diversión" or "Mi esposo y yo la pasamos bien" instead. Divertido/a is an adjective and refers to something being funny rather than someone having fun

morse code

Also the second sentence means "My husband and I had a good time" which is probably more natural than the first sentence I provided.

Thank you.

Thanks. Pimsleur teachers some really unnatural shit...

that's the thing with pimsleur just teach you the words' sounds

Muy and divertida are adjectives, but the noun which they there, not explicitly nor implicitly
That would translate as: but my husband and I had a very funny/entertaining ... (What?)

Someone learning french?

The noun they are supossed to qualify isn't there. That's what I meant, really fucked up that post

Esperanto

Coincidentally also the most useless

>someone learning French?
I'm learning it. Have you got any questions?

Is the linguistics leafbro still here? I want to talk to him about Algonquian languages. Also, do anons have a problem with making this a language learning and linguistics thread?

we have a problem to reunite the lang's people

Ithkuil

What kind of resources are you using, mon frère?

Modern french grammar, 2nd edition by Margaret Lang, the workbook and the practical guide
>duolingo isn't hardcore enough

Any of you German fags have any experience with Hammers German Grammar book? All the normies on other sites seem to say it's good.
Also what ways did you improve your grammar?

I used duolingo and memrise to get a base and then hopped on Assimil: Le Français en Pratique. Very good program.

>Hammers German Grammar book
it's a good book but too rough for a normie who currently starts with German
>if you don't have the book
mega.nz/#!xHJ2Ubpa!BnTmvmFlo7cVaOTiRff0HvtRAuMmrQtIO0nIEWUqTGg

damn it >wrong person

bump

I have good vocabulary with almost all the basics.
What would you recommend to help with grammar?
Thanks for the reply

I have that PDF, and the workbook too. I tried to make some exercises but I was a bit intimidated because from the start the book seemed to assume some knowledge and I had none. A few weeks have passed though so I might give it a try.

When I first started, I used Routeledge Intensive German Course which let me build up a satisfactory basis to build on but was overall a pretty meh book, and now I'm working through Berliner Platz 2, which i think i supposed to bring you up to A2 by the end. Berliner Platz is all in German, so explanations are a little more context-clueish, but I guess that helps to learn things more intuitively

Learning French.

Improving Italian.

How I learn:

1. watch ten movies
2. buy a classic
3. buy a dictionary
4. read it
5. after you get used to reading, read more and more until you become fluent

I've read the first 40 pages of Reiner Maria Rilke's Letters to a Young Poet in French translation. I think I will finish the whole thing in one or two days.

Goal: read Madame Bovary until Frebruary, start learning Latin.

Only low IQ rats need a 'resource'.

The grammar is the same. Get a classic and read it with a dictionary.

Rilke's book is a good one, but really any book will do. The most essential are two things: 1) it has to be written in direct, non-descriptive style, so that you won't be bombarded with nouns; and 2) it has to offer frequent pauses - letters are the best, because they are direct, conversational and short.

How do you guys motivate yourself after getting over the beginner's high? I still get it but it only comes at random times.

What's up with Russian textbooks randomly interspersing the Cyrillic alphabet? Is it only the older ones? learnrussian.rt.com and most online ones go alphabet -> phonetics -> other stuff, the one I got (and some older ones I've looked at) slowly introduces it throughout the whole first book or so.

Bump

No idea, that's why I have barely done anything for 2 months.

bump

ultimamente he sido aprendiendo espanol. pero no hay nadie que practica conmigo. en cualquier caso parece que es en vano. viajo nunca y los hablantes nativos que encuentro faltan la paciencia. me quedan solo las canciones y peliculas.

feel free to correct my mistakes, i need it

Ultimamente he estado aprendiendo español, pero no hay nadie que practique conmigo, en cualquier caso parece que es en vano, nunca viajo y los hablantes nativos que encuentro les falta paciencia. Solo me quedan las canciones y peliculas.
>if you need someone maybe i can help you in my freetime, DeeDee#6674

How do you guys motivate yourselves to learn?

I've been hoarding obscene amounts of learning material (thanks /lang/), but haven't progressed any in the past year.
I feel like I'm a complete fraud.

The most basic thing is having a reason to learn the language, otherwise you'll lose interest.
Besides that it can help using something like Anki which provides regular targets to meet.

Romansch?

First time I've seen someone wanna learn Romansch here. Why do you wanna learn it?

It looks interesting, and I already know a decent amount of French. I'm looking for another romance language, and this one piqued my interest the best.

Do you have any tools or sources I can use? I haven't found much since such a small population uses it.

this.
why I chose spanish over french (muh heritage) or italian, is because it's much more practical,as I live in california, and for better or worse america is changing cultures also qt latinas and spain being beautiful helps.

I am learning .Which one of these courses should I drop? Or should I go through all of them? If so in which order

>FSI french phonology and Basic French course
>Michel Thomas French course
>Assimil french with ease and using french

don't know but the michel thomas courses really helped me

Yes I heard it's very good for grammar. I just don't want to overwhelm myself in terms of courses. I already use Duolingo, memrise and bussuu apps. I want these apps to complement a good course.

Of the above courses the only one I am definitely doing is probably the FSI phonology one. I could follow it up with a FSI basic french and Assimil courses or FSI basic french and Michel Thomas course.

I am pretty confused as to which one to drop

Also is there a better guide than the Sup Forumswiki.

I would love improve my English a lot by learning grammar, anyone have a good resource for learning?

Hola. Yo soy hablante nativa y puedo ayudar si tu me ayudas con el alemán. Me cuesta mucho.

I have just finished B1 level in German and I feel i understand less. The anxious I feel everytime i interact with a german person is not normal. :C

I have enough money to visit a country for Spanish immersion and schooling. What is the best country to do this in? I'm a manlet and semi-poor so I can't go to Spain or the southern cone.

Would Peru or maybe Nicaragua be good choices? Or do they speak a shitty dialect?

sadly the Sup Forums wiki lack in content

unironically playing video games helped me a lot with my English grammar, especially shit like RPGs with a lot of reading.

In Peru they're gonna rape you with their touristic tax, maybe Colombia or mexico
>Peru is nice and you'll have a lot to do but the people is the problem (someone who visited it)
> Come to Chile (same problem but nice people) my dear American

I thought Chilean Spanish was incomprehensible to other Spanish speakers? Also could you explain this tourist tax to me? Do you mean that people would charge me more for goods and services because I am an obvious gringo?

I wish there was guide similar to the DJT guide for Japanese. That step by step guide was superb imo.

Most of the concepts in the DJT guide can be applied pretty easily to learning other languages.

That is what they say, well Chilean Spanish is faster and use slang terms that only exist in Chile
And yes my dear American, hotels and other prestigious store will be normal, but local store will charge you more because they know you have money to expend
We need organization

The DJT guide is pretty clear about what resources to avoid, in which order you should go through each resource. It's a lot more specific for Japanese.

I can't say the same for french. See Dilemma I am facing right now.

In the loo

Ok lads. Is it worth it to learn Czech?

Why bother learning a language? Technology is advancing so fast we'll have brain to computer interfacing soon and you'll be able to download any language you want.

define what makes it worth it to you to learn a language

no, it's just not possible. there has to be a limit to how far technology can advance set by both our brain capacity and the resources on our planet and the natural laws that govern it. we'll never have computers capable of translating languages fluently.

The resources the DJT guide tells you to avoid are the kinds of obviously low quality resources that anyone who understands the concepts laid out in the guide, or by the people the guide takes its advice from, should be able to generally pretty easily tell apart from better resources. Or things which don't really apply to most other languages (ie. avoiding resources that use romaji, which isn't the kind of issue you have with a language like French). Order is likewise a more specialized issue in Japanese compared to most other languages. Most languages don't require you to learn an equivalent to kanji (some might, and many will require a different alphabet, but the same conceptual order applies anyway).

DJT's guide is basically just Antimoon written specifically with Japanese learners in mind. The core concept is essentially: 1) learn the basics, 2) get a lot of input. With a bit of expansion of course. The specific recommendations that the guide makes, while somewhat useful, honestly aren't the important part.

It is possible and it'll be here soon mate. Also I don't think you read my post correctly, your brain would still be processing the language not a computer.

I am not going to live to see that and I am pretty sure my brain has just been rotting after doing nothing productive for years and just shit posting.

yes and flying cars too

You're a very high IQ individual, I think Reddit is more your style.

I know but that still doesn't kind answer my question though.

I have three good resources for going from basics all of which require a good amount of time that needs to be invested each day.

Everybody swears by these resources and the autist in me wants to go through all of them but my brain tells me I will feel burnt out soon if I follow all three. So I want to choose two bit can't decide. One of the reasons I chose French over Japanese is time constraints

>FSI french phonology and Basic French course
>Michel Thomas French course
>Assimil french with ease and using french

Finally DJT tells users not to use Duolingo for Japanese because they didn't have a Japanese course for a long time and the recent is not very good as well. The same cannot be said for french. Duolingo could compliment any of the above rigorous courses.

Don't overthink it. Do whichever one you enjoy the most. Your goal is to start consuming interesting native level content as soon as possible, as long as you use a course that isn't downright bad you will be fine. Just do whichever you have fun with. Fun things are easier to stick with.

Sorry for the late response lad.
Firstly you need to learn how to conjugate the verbs être and avoir and some of the more common vocabulary. Duolingo might do the job.

After having some base I switched to actual grammar sites with explanations and exercises like:
francaisfacile.com/index.php
connectigramme.com/index.htm
lepointdufle.net/p/prepositions.htm
esjmlima.prof2000.pt/grafran/GUI_GRU-M.HTM (this one is in fr-pt but you may still have profit from it)

Also tried to consume media by watching videos with subtitles on. I used:
youtube.com/channel/UCVXiRA9Y7kTadGN_nlzt0Fg
linguo.tv/videos

Newspapers, I read:
lefigaro.fr/

Although it's still similar to our languages French is still quite tricky, specially orally. For the longest time I could write and read without problems but wasn't able to understand them clearly. Don't feel discouraged if even with a good base you still have problems, it will come to you. Bonne chance

This seems....extended.

I know your feel.

I finished DuoLingo a while back and did a paid conversation class over skype.

I was sweating so bad by the end of it. My conversation consisted of 90% filler words and I was terrible at switching tenses on the fly.

I will probably start doing these 2-3 times a week. They were very helpful.

Thanks I'll do just that :)

not really, but if you want to learn it just do it, learn a language is always good

Drinking a moderate amount of alcohol before my skype calls helps tremendously. I saw a study earlier this week that showed alcohol improves language acquisition abilities while under the influence. you may want to try that to help with the nervousness and maybe learn a little better

For me is a horrible experience when i go to a store. I only understand the basics, so if they talk to me more than that i just want to run away.

Cool, i can dig that.

Unfortunately I don't, im not native Swiss, so I'm not even very good with German yet ;_;

Wait, really? Source?
Like, I've noticed (or rather I perceive??) that when I'm drunk/tipsy my German is better, but if theres science to back that up then holy shit

journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0269881117735687

there is a night and day difference between my Russian pronunciation when I'm totally sober and when I've had a few drinks, which sounds like a meme, I know, but it's not

Well then, zum fuckin' Wohl

I want to learn Polish but I don't really have a reason too. It just seems like an interesting language. I know very little about their history and culture, and have virtually no knowledge of Polish cultural exports, save for Stanislaw Lem.

Anyone else know this feel of being interested in a language without any good reason?

i want to learn any Finno-ugric language in the future just to see what it's like but i'm already learning 2 languages right now and i don't wanna do too much at the same time

Speaking of Uralic languages, is Mari user still around?

maybe, at least he doens't show him yet

probably trying to get an antenna big enough for the ratio station.

radio*

bump

What kind of alcohol

>soon you'll be able to

If anyone includes this in any sentence you can safely ignore them. Decades ago people thought we'd be living in space and have cured every disease by now

Yeah he's around still. Last I heard the radio was still dead.

All the more things to surprise/interest you once you do dive in!

There are a bazillion languages more useless than Esperanto.

Yo, I fluently speak both Arabic and English, be happy to translate/help or whatever