Daily Japanese Thread - DJT #1919

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Discuss the process of learning Japanese.

Previous thread:
Do it for her。

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AoQVB_D3dus
ankiweb.net/shared/info/1771074083
chineseetymology.org/CharacterEtymology.aspx?characterInput=用
djtguide.neocities.org/anki.html
chinadaily.com.cn/china/2013-04/19/content_16423992.htm
pastebin.com/HWk3Nnm6
mega.nz/#F!dcoAlDSB!7ltFSsPmp1JfPhz6U5FaeQ
mega.nz/#F!UxhhlKzb!9T8-35RugwmkuZ33oTqVrQ!94ojwarC
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First question
Translate this sentences to your native language, or English.
(3min)

something about there being valuable things in piss

2/10
あめりか あのんくん よく できました。
これからも がんばりましょう。

風吹く鬼無里(きなさ)は灼(あらたか)に
恋しや暮れゆく都
南天、飴細工、カランコロン
千年の音色が鳴る

What is this 南天 supposed to mean here?
Southern sky or bamboo?
youtube.com/watch?v=AoQVB_D3dus

>中学校の便所から若返り薬
気持ちワル

Thks!

Are there any actual Japanese in these threads or are they all just proxies/exchange students/expats?

Why does the phrase お元気ですか?
not appear ONCE in the entire genki textbook?
Is it not a common expression to ask how are you? Other greetings like 初めまして are in there tho

My RTK Anki reviews have totalled to 500. I'm gonna attempt to clear them today. Give me strength /djt/

I've decided to start learning Jap
Wish me luck! :3

You'll be sorry. :) Good luck!

Staying focused during study: Experiment with pomodoro technique or otherwise timeboxing with small breaks every so often. Mental fatigue is a thing and even a small, five minute break every so often goes a HUGE way toward helping alleviate this (speaking from sorta masochistic personal experience). When you sit down make sure your study area isn't cluttered, try to eliminate as many potential distractions as is feasible. Get your coffee / tea ready beforehand, go to the washroom prior to a study chunk, turn phone on silent etc. When you set yourself to studying do that and only that - maybe consider doing study away from your main PC if it's a constant distraction source. Get the fullscreen anki addon if you're using that.

Physical: Get some light exercise / walking time during the small breaks in your study sessions. Don't be super tired, your brain consolidates short term memory into long term ones while you sleep so it's very important. Take a multivitamin if you don't have a balanced diet.

Time to study: Early morning and just before bed tend to be the two best times for highest retention rates for the next day. Otherwise, as long as you're not distracted by outside factors (noise, heat/cold etc.) any time is fine.

Anki Settings: Make sure that if you're learning new pieces of knowledge entirely inside of Anki (aka only seeing the shit as anki cards) that you increase the number of learning steps and/or maybe lower the starting ease. Seeing things more often initially will help your retention rate some, as you're solidifying the knowledge more firmly up front via spending more time with each item.

Staying Consistent: Set an initial goal for your week, month and year. It could be x # of words / get to such and such point in your grammar guide / read x manga etc. Reevaluate how feasible your goals are on a weekly basis: as humans we tend to overestimate how much we can accomplish in a day; yet underestimate how much can be accomplished in a year. You WILL need to adjust, so just accept that original plans are a guideline only.

Get some sort of visual accountability system: try using ankiweb.net/shared/info/1771074083 , habitica ties in nicely with much of the above or even try using a simple spreadsheet listing what you've done each day. At the very least, look through anki's graphs from time to time. It's important to be able to look back to see how much you've accomplished (or have been slacking); language learning is a very long road and it's easy to lose focus when you don't have tangible progress.

Also, despite all of the anki talk I've posted above, definitely don't forget to read. Your brain has to make the fuzzy logic connections somehow, and becoming a human dictionary doesn't help that. Knowing all the words in a sentence yet having no idea what the sentence actually means is a very real problem, so include a minimum reading time / pages / listening to whatever as part of your goals.

Is there a good software for learning japanese? A-asking for a friend.

10月なのにこんなに暑いなんて…

日本語よりアイスランド語はいいかも。

Read the fucking guide

その新聞が書かれた時,
古典漢字がまだ使われてたそうです。
何年だったか。

言ったはずだ is "I thought I told you" right? Had some trouble figuring out whether it was that or "I should have told you" but I think it's the former. Unless it can be both based on context. I'd just like some confirmation.

The former, but more assertive. I should have told you is 言うべきだった, or 言うんだった

Thank you very much

Fuck off back to your circlejerk.

イギリス人にとって暑いってどういう意味か

15度以上ほどかな。

is the Japanese course of Rosetta Stone worth checking out?

何か>17度

I've only heard bad things about it.

not really, you might as well just do duolingo instead

>用
>bucket

I swear those shamans were on some serious drugs when they "interpreted" those poor turtle's shells.

that's one shitty bucket

What shitty guide are you using that tells you 用 means bucket?

chineseetymology.org/CharacterEtymology.aspx?characterInput=用

>random site run by some gwailou with no sources provided

Use 広辞苑.
>解字長方形の板に「卜」(=棒)を加え、板に棒で穴をあける意を示す会意文字。力や道具の働きの意。

>chinese

>広辞苑
you wouldn't happen to have a pdf version of it lying around?

Reposting this from the last thread if anyone can help me
>Apparently it's supposed to be possible to get Rikaisama to save audio for the words it imports into Anki but I can't seem to figure it out. Has anyone else done this correctly?

I don't think one exists, but there's an EPWING version. Check RuTracker and you'll find a big torrent there with tons of EPWING dictionaries in it (the best J-J ones are 広辞苑, 大辞林 and 大辞泉, but there's also a very good J-E one from 研究社 called 新和英大辞典第五版 - you can probably ignore all the rest).

You can read EPWING dictionaries with programs like qolibri and EBView. qolibri seems to be the better program since it has tabs for your search results, but there's no package in my Linux distro's repos and I can't get it to build from source, so I'm stuck with EBView. If you're on Windows, you should be able to use qolibri just fine though (I'm not sure if EBView is even available for Windows anyway).

djtguide.neocities.org/anki.html

What does "奉流" mean? In context 「懐かしい景色という感情の奉流は」

After posting this I decided to try running qolibri's Windows binary with WINE and, what do you know, it works perfectly...

No more shitty EBView for me. Would've preferred not to have to use WINE, but the program is so old that the other software it depends on isn't easily available anymore (the Qt version it depends on is obsolete - not to mention, the readme file doesn't even specify which exact Qt packages it depends on - and its eblib dependency seemingly doesn't exist on the internet anymore).

Doesn't seem to be a word. Sure it isn't a name?

i really don't know, its used in a manga so might be

>manga
You should post the page to make sure you didn't fuck up the kanji

Is it wrong to say I didn't sleep well as よく寝ませんでした?I saw an online source saying it was right but someone else told me it was wrong and to use 眠れるhere instead of 寝る. But, searching for 眠れる on jisho doesn't show any relevant word results, just some wrong words and the 眠 kanji

maybe the pic in the managa needed.
I honestly have no idea about that at all.

眠れる means "can sleep (well)"
寝る means rather "go to bed" ? , I think.

寝る is more like lying down while 眠る is actually sleeping

>「…信用できる友達から聞いたんだから…」
>なんだか一気に説得力無くなったな
>騙されてるやつの黄金パターンって感じだ。
What does 黄金パターン mean? What I found online seems different from the context it's used here. Person is trying to convince someone that what he's saying is true.

It's not a set phrase or something like that. But can easily understood.
It's like cristal clear or a patern as always.

He said "You seam to be apparently cheated or so".

魚が好きな人 = The fish is a likable person

Seems weird since I don't think やつ isn't referring to the listener unless I'm understanding 一気に説得力無くなった wrong

is referring*

my system release work is finished

> やつ isn't referring to the listener
Yes, you are right.
But in this case, he speaks a bit euphemistically?. I don't know appropriate word for that in English.
He refers to the listener apparently.

This only confuses beginners

we can guess that 黄金パターン is a changing form of 王道パターン.
(I have never seen anyone who mentions this problem tho)

王道 is "high road".
that means a typical pattern.

turpa kii homo = gay with mouth closed

>奉流
I actually haven't ever heard this word before, this is first time. So I look it up in the internet dicionary. But no result found.
Maybe the word should be "傍流." that means branch stream" or "tributary" or something like that.
Maybe it's a misprint or something.

I'm understanding the general meaning of the lines as
>"Well, I heard this from a credible friend..."
>Somehow or other, my persuasiveness went away in one breath.
>Feels like this is the usual pattern when one gets deceived.
What やつ is actually referring to is a bit confusing here if we're basing my understanding of the second sentence as correct.

well if it is 傍流, could you translate the whole sentence for me? 「懐かしい景色という感情の傍流は」

It's like
"I can feel the part of emotion (not main stream) that is my nostalgic scenery, just because you remember me , just because you have been there."

Additionary, not a main stream, so even I have forgotten so far, and now I just remember it.

Have you checked to make sure it isn't one of the character's names?

It could be something like "奉流, who has the feeling of the scenery being nostalgic, ..." maybe.

To comfirm it clear, maybe he says himself the whole sentence?
If so, he says himself rather than to say it to a certain listner.
やつ is used when one have negative emotion to someone. that can be oneself.

only one character name has been revealed and its かつとし in hiragana

Found book reading statistics:
>Chinese read 4.39 books on average in 2012, compared with 4.35 in 2011.
>Koreans read 11 books on average in 2011, French 8.4, Japanese about 8.4, the US citizens 7.
chinadaily.com.cn/china/2013-04/19/content_16423992.htm

It's no chance that 奉流 is a character's name from the contexts. It's hight posibility that 奉流 is an misprint, I think.
Usually, almost Japanese would read the 奉流 as "bouryuu" even if can't understand the meaning. So I guess the word should be 傍流(ぼうりゅう bouryuu).

>正統派のデザインのなかに快活さを感じさせるのが彼女らしい
What does this sentence mean? Does it mean something like "It's typical of her to feel lively in her uniform"?

Literally meaning is like
"It's just like her to make (me or us or everyone) feel vivacity in her orthodox design.

Thanks.

Can I replace こと in 何も悪いことをしていない with の so it becomes 何も悪いのをしていない?

ヤー

>Usually, almost Japanese would read the 奉流 as "bouryuu" even if can't understand the meaning.
Why would 奉 be read as ぼう at the start of a compound? I can't find any instance of it being read that way even at the end of a compound. It only seems to show up as ほう, ぶ, and on a rare few occasions, as ぽう.

Also, a misprint on a full colour page seems quite unlikely to me. Colour pages are expensive and I would expect are subject to more rigorous than average quality checks as a result.

Alright well I was following this guide pastebin.com/HWk3Nnm6 of how to format my cards for Anki but it doesn't seem to be playing audio. Rikaisama's definitely saving the audio file so I know it's a problem on Anki's end. Anyone know what I should do here?
I've been trying to get this thing working for days I just want to finally learn Japanese.

新和英大辞典 第5版
mega.nz/#F!dcoAlDSB!7ltFSsPmp1JfPhz6U5FaeQ

広辞苑 - kojien.7zip
mega.nz/#F!UxhhlKzb!9T8-35RugwmkuZ33oTqVrQ!94ojwarC

Remove the around {{Audio}}, that's disabling it.

Remove the comment marks around the Audio tag, and make sure the fields in the cards themselves looks like this: [sound:name.mp3]

I did so but the audio still does not play

And here's what the fields look like for an example of a card and I can't see anything wrong with it

- Drag and drop an audio file to a field of the card, see if Anki immediately plays it. If not, there is a problem.
- Try recording yourself using the red circle button, see if that plays after you record it.

Might be a codec problem.

>- Drag and drop an audio file to a field of the card, see if Anki immediately plays it. If not, there is a problem.
It did play immediately and it played correctly but when dropping it it looks identical to what was originally in the audio field except it actually works which doesn't make sense

松濤
聾唖者
烙印

牢獄
蜘蛛
吠える
飛騨山椒魚
睨む
兀鷹
引っ掴む

吶喊

坐禅

祈祷
行李
滝壷
饗宴
敦厚
柏鵬時代

Check for importing audio options, Anki should create an instant copy of the file in its directory (inside your documents), maybe the importer is not doing that.

Finally figured it out! That tip was enough to make me realize Anki was not looking in the right place for the audio file! Thanks so much!

>this thread

新和英大辞典 第5版 is actually in the same Mega folder as 広辞苑. Look in the Eiwaei folder for "Kenkyusha_Waei_Daijiten_V5.7z".

The second Mega link you posted is just a 7zip-archived version of the torrent on RuTracker, though for some reason the file sizes are way smaller beyond what I would expect possible of 7zip's compression.

Oh, and that goes for the file size of the 新和英大辞典 第5版 in the first Mega link as well. The version from the RuTracker torrent is 313MB, yet both of these Mega versions are in the region of 50MB. I didn't think 7zip was capable of compressing things to that extent so I'm not sure what's going on there.

the key to overcoming autism is understanding what is and isn't relevant information

Anyone know a decent place to find Japanese dubbed western tv without having to resort to downloading untouched m2ts packages? I have absolutely dreadful upload speeds so I can't use PD/Share.

>Why would 奉 be read as ぼう at the start of a compound?
奉 has mainly two different way of reading.
The first is 奉る(たてまつる) that is a 和語(わご) and set with 送り仮名(in this case, まつる).
The second is 熟語 that ususally consists of two kanjis, and then usually be read as ほう(hou), but I rather read it as ぼう(bou) in this case, that sounds more nice to my ears. so maybe there might be people who read it as ほうりゅう(houryuu). But if be read as houryuu, then it's like "放流(houryuu)" that's not appropriate in this contexts, I think.

sorry I mistook about 送り仮名.
>The first is 奉る(たてまつる) that is a 和語(わご) and set with 送り仮名(in this case, まつる).
送り仮名 is る.
奉る probably consists of two different word, たて and まつる , so I mistook it.