Is this really as good as TV gets?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MT-7LCRpPVQ
baltimore.areaconnect.com/statistics.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=ZTfDgTEkBFk
youtube.com/watch?v=ijfZOVtf9OM
youtube.com/watch?v=pkxYIHsmUQo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I hate to say it, but I watched 1 episode then quit. Same with Sopranos.

It's the 1 show where I feel it deserved more of an effort from me. I'll go back and watch it one day.

One thing has been bugging me about the show's dialogue, like when character 1 says something and character 2 repeats what they said and adds ", huh?" in the end, nobody talks like that in real life.
>I think I'm fucked
>fucked, huh?

nigger, huh?

Literally nothing has topped it since.

D E B A T E

M
E

>the cycle continues

still haven't been topped as the best TV series

youtube.com/watch?v=MT-7LCRpPVQ

That's how a lot of people talk

All memes aside, yeah probably.

MONEY BE GREEN

>Bubbles get to go upstairs
Those feels

Only until The Leftovers ends

The Wire and The Sopranos are the height of "realism." Twin Peaks and The Young Pope reach for something higher than realism.

It's a matter of taste which type of show you prefer, but I think those 4 shows are the best I've ever seen

yes
agree with you
sopranos is as good, but focuses on different aspects
so thereĀ“s the wire/sopranos>>>everything else imo

It was until this came out
I actually prefer Mad Men, even though its a very well written soap opera

How do Oz and Boardwalk Empire stack up against the two goats?

I keep hearing season 5 is bad. what makes it so bad?

>I hate to say it, but I watched 1 episode then quit.
This is actually very common.
Since the show sort of just throws you in with all these important named characters it's not very accessible. But for old fans the pilot feels like any other episode.

Fuck, it took me 3 tries to get into it. Now it's my favourite show and I watch it yearly.

Almost

It's bad compared to the rest of the show, but it's not actually bad.
The issue is that one large chunk of it is just plain ridiculous and the newspaper parts are not very well incorporated to the rest of the show, compared to the politicians or schools.

S5 is still necessary if you watch it, tho. It continues on earlier plots and the overarching theme of the show. Also, the ending ties together the show perfectly.

Yes, and don't listen to anyone that trivializes the show "muh niggers XDDD", because it's so much more than that. It starts slow, but it does so with reason as it needs to set up various characters and the problems surrounding them. It's one of the most realistic shows you'll see out there and has a great wrap up, also don't listen to faggots that tell you season 5 is garbage, because, even if it's the weakest season, it's still good and packed with great scenes, and the ending is ever so fitting. Also take a look at Generation Kill and The Shield, good shows.

1a. The Wire
1b. The Sopranos
3. Deadwood
4. Mad Men
5. Nothing else compares to the top 4

DEBATE ME

True detective

There's only one king and it's The Wire, but your list features the very apex of television.

Not well. Oz has its moments but it's very inconsistent, and Boardwalk Empire is just empty, pointless production value.

Fuck no, first season is great but Justified, The Shield, Homicide: LOTS are all much better shows.

>actually rating a boring nigger show where the main character is "the cycle" and "the city"

Sopranos is better in every single aspect. From characters, to settings, to dialogue and even technical ones. I forced myself to watching the whole pile of steamy shit called the wire and at the end felt like I just wasted my time with that crap.

Don't give you to baits, thanks.

then you're just a dense retard

>boring nigger show
great fuckin argument
>main character is "the cycle" and "the city"
what exactly is wrong with that

1. Lester Freamon
2. Preston "Bodie" Broadus
3. Jimmy McNulty
4. Frank Sobotka
5. Russell "Stringer" Bell
6. Roland "Wee-Bey" Brice
7. Augustus "Gus" Haynes
8. Spiros "Vondas" Vondapolous
9. Chris Partlow
10. D'Angelo Barksdale

9001. Chakima "Kima" Greggs
9002. Brother Mouzone
9003. Chester Karol "Ziggy" Sobotka

Most overrated characters are Marlo and Omar btw
Most underrated character is Herc, I don't get why people hated Herc, he was a very important character and drove many of the most important events in the show

I don't really see anything of note in Deadwood.
The Wire has too big of a shit in S5 to be better than Sopranos.

Only Sopranos out of those shows you listed is still today untouchable.

My favorites are Southland, Friday Night Lights, Generation Kill, The Knick. There are also some shows I consider better than these, like Sopranos, but that is not my favorite. It has got amazing quality of craft though.

I don't really get the love for Deadwood. Rome and Six Feet Under are superior HBO dramas.

>no bunk
>no clay davis

herc is good, but in comparison with most wire characters nothing special

Where's Clay Davis?
>Where's Wallace? Where the fuck is Wallace? Huh? String?

i really like mad men too,user
please don't tell anyone

you two apparently don't appreciate dialogue then. The dialogue in Deadwood is so supremely beautiful that I can't help but have it in my top 3. Also Swearengen is among the finest television characters ever. I just love the atmosphere and tone of the show, it's not really a crime drama as much as it is a depiction of the creation of a community out of nothing. It's about how people come together for shared goals to create a city and to either work together or at odds with one another to achieve their goals. It's basically the opposite of The Wire, which is about the death of institutions and the rotting corpse of inner city America

1. Baltimore
2. Stringer Bell - McNulty - Bodie
3. The Pit & Corners

>1. Lester Freamon
>9001. Chakima "Kima" Greggs
>9003. Chester Karol "Ziggy" Sobotka
>Most overrated characters are Marlo

Shit list.

this.

The "main character" of the show is white you fucking mongoloid retard

Say what you will, but The Sopranos never could top the IKEA scene.

>The "main character" of the show is white you fucking mongoloid retard
lol

>Baltimore City, Maryland Statistics and Demographics (US Census 2000)

>One race %
>White 205982 31.63%
>Black or African American 418951 64.34%
>American Indian and Alaska Native 2097 0.32%
>Asian 9985 1.53%
>Asian indian 2036 0.31%
>Chinese 2404 0.37%
>Filipino 1349 0.21%
>Japanese 298 0.05%
>Korean 1826 0.28%
>Vietnamese 709 0.11%
>Other Asian 1363 0.21%
>Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander 222 0.03%
>Native Hawaiian 51 0.01%
>Guamanian or Chamorro 42 0.01%
>Samoan 44 0.01%
>Other Pacific Islander 85 0.01%
>Some other race 4363 0.67%
>Two or more races 9554 1.47%

>baltimore.areaconnect.com/statistics.htm

>low ability pol weenies now shitting up the wire thread.

yikes

>yfw Bunk was burning his clothes in the fucking bathtub

The Wire is really about the city of Baltimore but the main character with the exception of Season 4 is McNulty who is white

You would know that if you watched more than 5 minutes of the show you mouthbreathing retard

That scene where he failed to shoot the mouse was hillarious, Bunk was the man.

The 5th season is my least favorite yet opens with my favorite scene in the whole series

That alcoholic faggot is only a main character in the first season. In the rest of the show Baltimore IS the main character.

And for the record: Potato farmers aren't white.

what the fuck was he trying to do in that scene? Was he trying to recreate the accident again? Or was he trying to make the turn at the same speed without hitting the concrete embankment?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

He was re-enacting a crime scene.

I thought it was fucking funny

McNulty was the best character, fuck you.

I only started to get into it by about 3/4 of the way through the first season once I was used to the characters.

Me too user
We should stream the full season sometimes soon

I loved it from the get go.

Pretty much. It's the top of the pyramid, it can be in first, second, or third place depending upon your personal taste. But its close to being as good a tv series as we've ever had.

>It's the top of the pyramid, it can be in first, second, or third place depending upon your personal taste.
This. It doesn't matter which one of the holy trinity you prefer more, what matters is that we all agree that they're the very apex of television.

you're probably not supposed to hate herc but he unwittingly caused some really bad shit to happen, particularly in s4

it wasnt really his fault tho, the camera thing could have happened to anyone and the black vicar thing was Bubbles' fault

No, Herc is supposed to be hated. The show clearly potrays him as a dumb fucking white trash cop that pisses all over the Marlo investigation to get a petty revenge and more money (by the action of helping the corrupt kike lawyer).

Herc was cancer and one of the reasons people considered Baltimore boys in blue corrupt as fuck back the (and still)

>MARNELL WHAT THE FUCK
>MMM MMMMM

>Working for Levy
Whatever good he ever did went down the drain

Which really contrasts Carver, who for me went from the worst boy to best boy

See, I don't think Herc was corrupt though. When Bunny was legalizing drugs and every cop in the Western was pissed at letting these scumbags shoot up openly, he's the one who took it on himself to drop a dime and call the Sun Papers. He was also the first one to notice that Avon was on the street and he's the one who informed the investigation unit that he was free on the streets.

I think he was a fucking moron who sleepwalked through life and got what was coming to him but still he wanted to do what was best for the force. Even when he fucked up in season 4 you understood why, and in season 5 when he was shit out by the PD he still tried to help the unit when he could with inside information from Levy's office.

One of my favorite scenes in season 1 is when Herc goes to Bodie's grandmother's house and sits down and listens to the woman when Carver and the other cops just tore through the place looking for Bodie

youtube.com/watch?v=ZTfDgTEkBFk

I don't think he ever did any "positive" thing. I can't recall. Maybe some real nuts and bolts type of simple thing that was forced on him by the job. He was overly violent/aggressive, a fucking retard, and corrupt - he lied to, and fucked, his friends in the Marlo investigation and never said a thing and continued to keep a smile among them in the bars where he met them.

Carver on the other hand turns to Mr. Community KnowledgeDB Good Cop and is complete opposite.

Nigga. He ruins the Marlo investigation. He sabotages it. Knowingly. An investigation his supposed friends were conducting.

Oh yeah that is probably Herc's only good action in the show that was voluntary action

the newspaper parts seemed more like david simon's personal issues, and the whole deal with mcnulty inventing a serial killer was unrealistic

>no clay davis
weak list desu senpai

>implying Wee-Bey isn't the greatest purely due to the mileage this site has gotten out of variations of this image

Clay Davis is overrated too, shit, Carcetti, Daniels and Michael are all better characters

I didnt really buy the whole Wee-Bey giving Namond up to Bunny seem out of character

I know. I'm just messing around. But Baltimore is still the MC of the show.

Clay Davis is the most realistic and relatable character

aye

Yeah, Clay Davis is literally just SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIT: the character.

Carcetti is solid, but I hate Daniels.

No love for Prop Joe here?

Top tier arcs

1 Bodie
2 Bubbles
3 McNulty
4 Prezbo
5 Carver

It took me seven viewings of the first ten minutes of episode one over a period of five years to get into The Wire. Then I blitzed through season one to four in one month. It was gud man

I dont understand why people love season 4. I loved seasons 1-3 and think 2 is criminally underrated, probably because it veered from "muh gangsters" plots that people had gotten used to.

However I felt like season 4 just seemed like they were out of continuity and started with some new, completely unengaging characters in those kids. I just didnt feel any captivation after like 4 episodes of season 4 and stopped watching. Still havent finished it. What exactly do people like about season 4?

yeah I probably should have included Prop Joe, I just didn't know who to take off. I used to watch The Wire with my parents and my mom actually cried when Prop Joe was killed. My mom is a fucking Lutheran midwestern housewife who goes to church everyday and here she was crying about a fucking drug dealer in Baltimore getting shot. That's how powerful The Wire was I thought.

Honestly just the scene before sold me on the wire.
I just knew it was a good show so I were interested from the beginning and yeah even when you know nothing episode 1 is still very good

I quit it 2 times, once after the second episode and once more in the middle of the first season. Picked it up again a few months later and now it's one of my fav TV shows of all time. Same with sopranos, I quit it somewhere between the second season and then came back and absolutely loved it. Most of my favorite movies I thought were boring at first watch too.

Keep watching, it's a slow burn but by the penultimate episode of the season I really cared about the kids.

because the kids story is amazing arc over 2 seasons??

Lost of innocence is a classic plotline, and if you have seen the other season, you know The Wire can take a classic plot and execute it really well

You are a fool if the intro scene of SNOT, SNOT BOOGIE, WHY YOU LET HIM PLAY, TIS AMERICA MAN didnt already confirm to you that you are watching kino.

This. He and Levy are the true protagonists of The Wire

It's a slow process

Seasons 4 might seem like a hard watch at first but it's probably the most "important" season in terms of showing why Baltimore is so fucked up

Also the kids have some of the best arcs in the entire series

It's the most heart-wrenching season right next to season 2

youtube.com/watch?v=ijfZOVtf9OM

>his bed at the end of season montage

I hated season 4 first too. But the kids plot lines continue in S5 so you can't really judge it on the 4th season alone. And after I rewatched the show and better understood how the kids arcs fit together with the larger plot and had a better understanding of their development I now love S4.
S1&2 are still my favourites, but that's only because of personal preferences since I find 3,4,5 to be a bit too dark.

My favourite show is Black Mirror senpai

>they never resolved what happened to miss anna

I'd say it is but Six Feet Under does come close.

Scarred for life/dead/in a coma

go back to Sup Forums

Ok, you have me convinced

>Also take a look at Generation Kill and The Shield, good shows.

Patrician tastes, user.

Not even close. It set the standard but the bar has been raised several times since.

>However I felt like season 4 just seemed like they were out of continuity and started with some new, completely unengaging characters
Nigga the only costant in the wire is the protagonist: Baltimore

Best character in television history coing through

>No Fuzzy Dunlop

Shit list desu.

youtube.com/watch?v=pkxYIHsmUQo
>He didn't cry at this scene
Also Frank Sobotka is top 10 tv characters ever

4>2. That's it.