International appreciation thread

International appreciation thread

Say what city and country you're from and mention a food item that can only be found in your city
Also list an interesting fact about your city

>St. Louis, Missouri, USA
We've got a sandwich called a St. Paul sandwich. It uses white bread, an egg foo yung patty, pickles, white onion, lettuce, tomato, and mayo

My city was the host of the 1904 World's Fair and was the original "New York" of the US

Looks charming

>bumfuck nowhere, north-east Connecticut, USA
Sometimes my neighbor (he lives in a literal tree-house) cooks a squirrel he shoots at if he hits it.

Dafuq is that

Squirrel is pretty good. I didn't know east coasters do that. Squirrel and dumplings is super good

we make fish soup and salami, its a bretty good brand worldwide
also paprika

I just looked up Hungarian fish soup. Jesus fucking Christ that looks delicious. My fucking American gullet is widening just by looking at it

>Guadalajara
TORTA AHOGADA UMA DELICIA

our cuisine is one of the best if not the best in europe, just not very well known, it also makes you very fat

Mother of God I need this. Can you find me an authentic looking recipe on Google? I'm not sure which ones are Americanized and which ones aren't

Your fish soup reminds me a lot of Sichuan style soup

I live along the river Thames. It's one of the only places I know where jellied eels are actually sold. It's really not very nice, it's basically a bit of cold nearly tasteless fish with a lot of bone. The reason people eat it is mainly nostalgia, it was a very cheap food for manual workers in london in the last century

Jesus Christ, man

Can you get birotes and carnitas?
For the sauce mix tomatoes, onions, garlic, oregano and salt in your blender and then cook it until it changes colour
And if you want spicy sauce too just switch the tomatoes for chile de árbol and add vinegar

Yeah, I can get those in my city. Awesome, thanks. Can't wait to make this to eat with the wife

Stuttgart

Maultaschen, a traditional Swabian dish

Stuttgart is the HQ of Daimler AG and the VfB (pretty big sports club)

I know right

Luckily, there's lots of other seafood here. There's mackerel, and that means there's smoked mackerel, which is extremely delicious believe me. It's very cute to go to the fisherman's coop and stock up on locally caught fish. We're also a huge exporter of mussels, oysters and cockles (if you know what they are)

Enjoy, my chicano friend

Lyon

The rosette (peppered dried salami) and the andouilette (giblets sausage) are some of the popular local specialties, along with the coussin (chocolade and almond paste pastry). Local dishes include the coq au vin or tête de veau (veal head) sauce ravigotte.
The local fast food is the tacos à la lyonnaise, which is actually a brick stuffed with cheese sauce, potatoes and various meat and sauces.

It's the second largest urban area in France, and one third of the inner city is UNESCO world heritage (pic related isn't). There's two hills in the city, Fourvière (the praying hill) and Croix-Rousse (the working hill)

Don't forget Lyoner (bologna sausage)

Sounds like my Fallout character

It's not from Lyon actually, it's from Bologna in Italy.

A question

What do french people even do with mayonnaise? Because when I've had it with chips, French people have said it's disgusting. If you can't even have it with chips what on earth is it for?

The most Chicano part about me is my 25% Native American blood.. I just love me some good food

You can have it with what you want, but it works well with eggs, tuna and rice-based salads.

As for Lyon, the city is riddled with little restaurants called "bouchons" serving socal, filling food. Some are tourist traps but a big part of them are actually pretty legit.

Wtf are cockles
I've heard smoked salmon is pretty popular there. I've made it myself, although I'm sure quite differently
I love me some mussels and oysters, tho. I like to travel down to the Emerald Coast in Florida. They pull oysters out of the bay, debris them, shuck them and serve them raw. A little bit of lemon and horse radish makes them perfect

>Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Literally nothing. A drug addict was the best mayor we ever had.

I took my wife to a French place in our city called Bar Les Frères
I had some delicious thin raw salmon with mayo (I'm pretty sure it was mayo..) topped with caviar

Mayo is a good base for half a dozen of sauces like aïoli, béarnaise or tartare. There's a dish called the fondue bourguignonne where you dip beef meat in boiling oil and then eat it with those sauces. It's a very comfy, week-end dish.

Sounds amazing. Reminds me of a restaurant we have called (ironically) The Melting Pot

Was the mayo you eat with salmon rather spicy or was it a really soft mayo ? Because the tartare de saumon is a pretty widespread restaurant dish.

>são paulo, brazil

We also have a famous sandwich. You can survive months whit a few of it.

We have more plays featured than NY and three times more bookstores.

We have the four seasons in a single day. Always make sure to have an umbrella and a coat.

It wasn't spicy at all

That's funny, you have egg and tuna with it here, but because it's cheap I assumed it wasn't 'proper'

Cockles are little bivalves, a bit like clams I suppose. I'm not really a fan of shellfish though. Yeah smoked salmon is very nice but it's really not anything like smoked mackerel. Mackerel is a very meaty oily fish, it doesn't end out like big wet slices, it's dense and comes apart a bit like pulled pork. Very rich flavour as well, really delicious, it's a shame people don't really seem to eat it elsewhere.

Looks like a beef wellington, another delicious English thing. Roast beef with mushrooms and wrapped in pastry. You can't tell me it snows in Sao Paulo though...

I know mackerel is popular in the south here. I need to buy some when I go down.and try to smoke it

You would fit in well in StL. We have the same shitty 4 seasons thing here. You wake up and it's nice a fall like. 2 hours later you're sweating from the heat. Later on a storm rolls in and the temp drops drastically. Then it starts fucking snowing

>That's funny, you have egg and tuna with it here, but because it's cheap I assumed it wasn't 'proper'
Well it's generally how we do it. Chips are eaten with mustard or ketchup, also the mayo is a basis for other sauces when you add garlic or other spices in it.

just standard regular mayo ?

I think we have a disconnect, here. In the US, when we read or say "spicy" we think "hot" or "tongue burning"
I run into this issue with my foreign wife.
It wasn't regular mayo, it had a deep flavor to it. Almost meaty? I don't know how to describe it

Maybe a tartare then yes. A great classic

Posting some more Lyon