Ghost in the Shell spoilers by a SJW @sofakissen

>Let's talk about the whitewashed trainwreck that is "Ghost in the Shell"... if you still want to watch the movie: beware of spoilers.

The movie argues that Scarlett Johannson is actually Japanese. The whitewashing is a plot point. It still leaves me speechless.

The plot twist is that Scarlett Johansson is the brain of the Japanese girl Motoko Kusanagi in the body of a white person.

The peak of the absurdity is that they even cast a Japanese actress as Motoko for a flashback, but you never see her face.

The movie ends with Johannson standing in front of Motoko Kusanagis grave, being hugged by her Japanese mother. What the fuck.

So if this is really supposed to be the start of a franchise, it starts with literally killing the Japanese origins of the story.

They cut the scene where Johansson kisses a woman, shown in the trailer. It's noteable because there's an (implied) male love interest.

They also almost completely cut out Togusa, played by Chin Han. He's barely an extra but it feels like his role was bigger at some point.

And then there's also a transphobic joke... in a science fiction movie where robot people are fully accepted.

There needs to be a lot of discussion following this film but I worry that it'll be hindered by the fear of openly talking about "spoilers".

Y'know what I don't like about Scarjo's Major? The fucking clown makeup.

I'm surprised how triggered the White / Japanese thing is for Sup Forums

I mean the approach sounds perfectly reasonable. Anime can never decide if they are Japanese or White so why not do both.

i bet the transphobic joke isnt transphobic at all

All anime characters are made to look as white as humanly possible so what's the big deal.

They also almost completely cut out Togusa, played by Chin Han. He's barely an extra but it feels like his role was bigger at some point.

Hmm. I wouldn't want to give much credit to the filmmakers, but it's known that anime characters are given western features (as well as many Asians themselves undergoing surgery to "widen" their eyes).

This COULD be seen as a pretty meta commentary on the practice, but having not seen the movie I'm not sure how it plays out.

I guarantee its along the lines of scarjo finding out she was someone else and another character saying "you weren't a man, were you?"

Also transphobia isn't real as it is completely natural to be uncomfortable with deviations from the species norm.

MODS MODS MODS PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD!

WE NEED THIS TO GET A GOOD BOX OFFICE SO WE GET MORE ANIME ADAPTIONS AND LESS AMERICAN SUPER HERO CINEMATIC UNIVERSES.

PLEASE DONT LET OP HERE RUIN MOVIE FOR OTHERS

How long untill Sup Forums realises that liking this shit is contratian?

I think it's more that Asian-American actors cannot get hired to save their lives, and no one can figure out why. That's why Keanu Reeves keeps on getting those weird 47 Ronin roles, because he looks asian enough but is white enough to get butts in seats

>needless spaces

What the fuck were the filmmakers supposed to do caught between Scarjo starpower, butthurt weeaboos, and butthurt SJWs

Lupin the Third starring Gary Busey would be amazing.

>I think it's more that Asian-American actors cannot get hired to save their lives, and no one can figure out why

Cos they fucking suck at emotions. Why do you think most of their media is animated? It's easier to draw a cartoon looking shocked than making a Jap look shocked.

Anime has big eyes because of Betty Boop and Tom and Jerry. Nips like cute stuff, big eyes make things cuter, you end up with anime.

Holy shit this is cyberkino
Apologize

Wow a Hollywood adaptation of an anime with a jew as the main character is terrible, color me fucking shocked bro, who could've predicted this?

>fear of openly talking about "spoilers

Can you give us a summary?

Reeves is 1/4 asian

Most if their media is live acting you'll never see it because no one subs it because it's shit because Asians are shit at emotions and have to overact to a ridiculous level.

Ahahaha that sounds retarded

Bravo Hollywood

There are literally no good Asian American afford working today

>The plot twist is that Scarlett Johansson is the brain of the Japanese girl Motoko Kusanagi in the body of a white person.
What's so bad about it?

oh yeah, more garbage aimed at "geek culture" is what we need

fake and gay

Let's be honest the majority of them are ugly. And if they can barely portray emotions before surgery, it's ten times harder after surgery

Didn't Makoto have a pretty athletic body in the original? Why do we get this fat dumpy Jew with a fridge physique instead?

*actors

Get out RWJ and go back to making your shitty Facebook videos.

>jap director wants white girl to be major
>the writer of the manga says major isnt asian
>anime in general is made to use western looking characters
>m-muh white wash

these fucking idiots

Sounds exactly what I'd expect out of Ghost in the Shell and why her body looks fucking white. I see this cunt fails to understand the basic aspect of GiTs ,

The first thing that the original anime movie says is that race no longer exists since people can choose their own artificial bodies. I've been telling people for years that this is inevitably going to happen in reality no matter how you look at it. Even though artificial bodies won't be a thing for a long time, the advent of genetic engineering/modification means people will be able to choose their baby's race/ethnicity/looks within this century. How many people do you honestly think are not going to choose to look white.

Because normies fell for the "Scarlet is so hot XD" meme

She was hot though, Like 15 years ago.

Majority of people are only seeing this for scarjo in that bodysuit.

how does ScarJo keep getting action roles?

her only performance that wasn't an embarrassment was as a soulless alien

OP hasn't seen the film, the Japanese girl's face is seen (It's also in the art book so his troll wasn't even well researched) and the final scene is a bullshit superhero shot.

SJW's and people who want to virtue signal.
I bet you will see a lot of hipster parents have pitch black babies.

>How many people do you honestly think are not going to choose to look white.
>he thinks white is gonna be appealing in a world where you can be anything

There's a reason racist people can't write sci fi.

Motoko was always a dyke though

she was bi but preferred women

Bait op and all, this movie is going to suck major, hehe, balls.
The visuals might be ok, but the intent behind it seems to make an action syfy franchise for Boring McManlyface Johanson.
I hope it fucking bombs and that it finishes Rupert Cuck career for good and takes down Johanson a peg or two.

How much you want to bet that if they made a sequel and she was in a Black Shell, they wouldn't say shit? I fucking promise you something like this would happen.

>The first thing that the original anime movie says is that race no longer exists

It states the exact opposite

>The movie ends with Johannson standing in front of Motoko Kusanagis grave, being hugged by her Japanese mother

I watched a video where a guy was going around Japan asking people what they thought of europeans staring in hollywood adaptations of anime series. They used Ghost in the Shell as the example.

The general response was "Makes sense, they look like anime. etc.".

As far as skin color goes, people will probably choose a variety of tones, tan will probably be popular. But as far as physical features go, caucasian/european will obviously be the most popular. The vast majority of the world has a strong preference for the delicate facial structure found in people with european ancestry. Just as an average black man what they prefer.

>mfw this fucking dreck doesn't ends with loli Motoko setting up Innocence were Batou gets recasted from the talentless cuck they choose in this shit to Ron Pearlman.

So when's naruto getting a hollywood adaptation?

>caucasian/european will obviously be the most popular.
Why? What are you basing this conclusion on?

>inb4 p-people watch hollywood!

wew, sci fi stuff if I've ever seen it.

hopefully never

they already working on it

>we
Get lost

Sorry bro I think she's cute sorry I like girls too much im sry

We now live in a time where a good film will get bad reviews solely because the main character is white.

what went wrong?

and idris elba is naruto

I hope they keep doing this shit just to trigger "Americanized' minorities. don't come to America to represent your damn country, you have your country, the place you're oh so proud of but do nothing to fix it, do it there! Nobody in Japan is going to bitch that a foreigner would play a ranger in their Toku shows. Nobody in Japan is going to complain that a foreigner stars in their movies because it does not affect them. They're just having fun, they're thinking "That's so cool! a foreigner Rider!"

But here in the states we have butthurt westernized Asians bitching about not being represented when they clearly are everyday in the manga, anime, and movies. They don't want representation, they want to attention seek and be on top. They want to feel superior to others.

who fucking cares about SJW bullshit.

seriously, go kill yourself if you do

Maybe because these movies are made in primarily white countries where the main demographic is white people.

>every showing tomorrow and the rest of the weekend is for 3D

funny no one looks at asian cinema and says "this is too asian"

no one looks at indian cinema and says "this is too indian"

why are white people blamed for everything even in our own countries?

i really dont care about a white girl playing major, but you gotta admit that its pretty fucked up they went through the trouble of making her havea japanese girl origin and having her mother hug her.
its basically a giant fuck you.

also how the fuck could they cut togusa

Because they want to be represented but they don't seek that possibility in their country. Probably because they don't want to represent, they just want to attention seek. Why do you think westernized Asians are trash?

>idris elba
>not adam sandler

What bothers me a lot nowadays is...
PEOPLE ARE TO MUCH INVOLVED IN FALLOWING OF CREATION PROCESS OF MOVIES.
SHUT THE FUCK UP AND WAIT.
Go and cry in Bay's fb that bees aren't all yellow. Bees have black stripes too.
fucking Sup Forums dwellers.

they don't seek that possibility because they are lazy, they don't try to make their own movies, everything must be handed to them on demand otherwise you're racist.

>togusa cut out
As if I needed another confirmation that they do not understand the material

Exactly. I'm telling you man, if I make an anime YouTube channel I'd trigger the fuck out of people when I point that out. They feel so strong about their race but they're fucking lazy as shit about representing it. That's really funny.

They aren't good actors and arent black or Mexican so there isn't an agenda to push with them.

>>they don't try to make their own movies
>live action adaptations are actually very common in Japan

>if I make an anime YouTube channel I'd trigger the fuck out of people
God, I love watching people humiliate the fuck out of themselves without even noticing.

Togusa being cut explains to me why the Chief is suddenly using a Revolver. I bet they merge the characters.

that sounds like a 100% leftist movie commenting on the way asian women are socially pressured to look white using cosmetics and surgery. in a world where your actual appearance can be trivially altered, your race becomes a subject of fashion. it was obvious since the earliest info that this is what the movie was going to be about. maybe once someone explains to the sjw that it's a commentary on racism he'll realize he liked it all along.

>Togusa being cut

Who said he was cut?

If it was a jap girl brain in a nigger it would be stunning and brave.

NATIVE Japanese people make live-action adaptations. WESTERNIZED Japanese don't do shit but bitch on any social platform. Try reading my statement again.

we're talking about in white countries dumbass

Steven Seagal as Jigen
Cary Togawa as Goemon
Mel Gibson as Zenigata

Imagine the scenery-chewing.

>WESTERNIZED Japanese don't do shit but bitch on any social platform.
>he says on a board constantly filled with white people bitching about MUH REPRESENTATION

Stupid people pretend they own movies because people who kinda look like them appear on screen. What's new?

Not him but your statement is basically
>Americans do nothing but bitch
Yeah. We've noticed.

There's a lot less white people in here than you imagine, bub.

is dat some naruto cosplay

Which makes the whole "WHERE'S THE WHITE PEOPLE???" all the more stupid, really.

because it matters.

only last week there was controversy over casting a white actor to play Iron Fist who is a white character. it even received a lot of negative reviews mainly because of this.

How long until all the studios start giving in to these insane demands?

The japanese are the ones doing the whitewashing, what japanese person looks like Batou or Togusa?

Togusa was man in need of exposition for most of the time anyway.

>And then there's also a transphobic joke... in a science fiction movie where robot people are fully accepted.
Even in the future, people still treat trannies like mentally ill animals. Awesome

>because it matters.
Not really. Iron Fist was a shit show regardless of whatever they said about his race.

I don't get how you reach the conclusion that I'm the same as the idiots here complaining that they're not represented. I'll tel them the same shit. If they don't do shit, you don't get to complain about not being represented. work for it, stop being a bitch.

I want to see more European fantasies, I want to see more Chanbara movies, but what I see now is idiots on social media just typing away their autistic hatred towards anyone not like them.

Now you're shifting goalposts, the quality of the show has nothing to do with my point.

>European fantasies
Come again? Anything specific? If you say medieval I'm gonna stab you.

A lot.
They are both clearly asian looking user. There might be a small amount of deniability with Major, but not those two

>The plot twist is that Scarlett Johansson is the brain of the Japanese girl Motoko Kusanagi in the body of a white person.
ok that's hilarious but terrible
it's fucking weird and it just seems like they could have cast an asian instead and it would have made more sense

even casting a white person and not doing this would have been an improvement

i'm not even a sjw but this is uniquely fucking stupid
exactly

Did you read what you're complaining about? I doubt they were complaining about a white guy playing a white character rather the white character being kinda backwards in the context. Which makes (some) sense since the character's from the 70s.

>the quality of the show has nothing to do with my point.
You directly suggest the bad reviews are due to his race, when in reality most of the reviews include a fair amount of time dedicated to criticizing the awful acting, writing and choreography.

Him being a very dry and unremarkable white guy was only the icing on the cake. My point still stands, people complain about it as if entertainment was a white thing or something.

>"I guess in the end I really was a Ghost In The Shell"
fucking really?

I'm fucking drunk and angry, leave me alone man. I mean European-esque fantasies. Like more of Tolkien, maybe something like The Riftwar Cycle and if I'm saying medieval than it doesn't have to be like that. I just want people to stop bitching and actually delve deep into the History of their people and create something man. what happened to creativity? All we got is hatredd.

Isn't Batou American or something? He was in the Rangers.

>it's fucking weird and it just seems like they could have cast an asian instead and it would have made more sense
Dude, get something in your head. Without Scarlett Johannson in the lead or without another actress of similar box office weight, the movie doesn't happen. It's that simple.

Maybe it shouldn't have, I certainly second that notion; maybe it should've had a much smaller budget and done the casting differently; producers/studio chose differently.

As to whether or not it's stupid, without having seen the thing and appreciating the context, you don't really know what you're criticizing.

I couldn't give a fuck about whitewashing because Motoko didn't have any defining asian feature anyway but ScarJo in this role is a fucking joke.
Also they butchered the plot and removed everything that made GitS so good.
The whole thing is absolute garbage but at least it looks good.