Lost In Translation, alienation

Rewatching this 2003 Murray/Johansson film. Are there any films since that so masterfully convey the subtle feeling of alienation? Both of these people feel marooned in their own lives. Recommendations for more of the same, please.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=lyWp__jXNRw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

OP again. I know this may seem like a tall order. Part of the film's charm is, I think, a byproduct of when it was filmed. The US was post-9/11 but pre-Iraq. We were lost, and not sure how to proceed. Any suggestions conjured in you by this feel? Post them please.

It's probably not really what you're after, but Babel came to mind.

The Station Agent?

chinkkino has lots of this stuff

Babel is about real alienation.

Then it's Ju On

Then it's Grudge Ju On coming to USA.

I don't know how to list these but any of them is better at alienation than LIT

Watch Somewhere and Palo Alto they have the moodiness you're looking for.

Also Like Someone In Love is very similar feeling movie to Lost in Translation with the themes of fleeting relationships

You may think I am joking. But Ju On can be very desperate if you take it seriously. Every victim is a victim of his or her real life. Quiet desperation.

I know endorsing Ju On may undercut my endorsement for Babel. But Babel is a better film on the topic.

>people recommending ju on

fucking lmao is this r/movies?

kys all of you

OP here, I feel ya. I saw Ju On back in maybe 2005. You're right, it does have that quiet desperate feeling. Keep 'em coming anons.

>The US was post-9/11 but pre-Iraq. We were lost
>muh 9/11

I really liked Lost in Translation and I was trying to remember a similar film until i read this.
you fucking burgers and 9/11, what the fuck does it have to do with anything
seriously kys

you were clearly too young to understand the cultural implications of 9/11

Do you really need me to educate you on this? The French postmoderns handled this already, Baudrillard especially. Educate yourself. 9/11 was an event that begat a psychological crisis in the American people. We were finally exposed as vulnerable. This was an extreme blow for a people who routinely televised their smart bomb wars into a mass market fiction. I was 18 in 2001. When the towers fell, it felt like nothing would ever be the same. Comedy was dead. Everything we knew about ourselves came into question. Lost In Translation captured the last moments of innocence of 2003 perfectly. We wanted to live up to our noble ideals, but it seemed we were destined for a fall. In March 2003, we proved with shock and awe that we were, indeed, the bad guys. Hussein had nothing to do with 9/11 but his people were fucked regardless. 14 years later shit is still not resolved and the guy who ran The Apprentice is now the chief executive.

tldr What I meant by comment was simply this: Lost In Translation captured the last fleeting moments of American pop culture before it was polluted by the actions of the state. It reminds me of my early years enlisted in the Army in 2009-2012, when I lived in Hawaii. Sterile hotel rooms, loud music, fast girls, late night cab rides, consumption culture, and fragile relationships that inevitably turned into regret.

>BOO HOO I'M RICH AND WHITE IN A FOREIGN LAND LOOK HOW ALIENATED I AM

>implying anyone's emotions are invalid

nice try, white guilt guy :^)

or maybe I don't live in the US

anyways just look up the director her films are good

>Lost In Translation captured the last fleeting moments of American pop culture before it was polluted by the actions of the state.
I don't share your army or Hawaii experience. And I don't quite agree that action movies were to blame. Action movies have been there all the time, and some say American action deteriorated after that period too.

I do agree that now the whole industry is filled with remake. From that I infer that it's because the industry wants to milk the same millennial generation.

So at the time of Lost in Translation they tried for the last time to engage audience's current life and after that they gave up and make nostalgic stuff

I found the movie somewhat boring as I couldn't feel what the movie tried to make me feel, but I found the documentary about filming the movie interesting. They had to beg to be able to film the movie at the hotel, and pushed the boundaries of what they were allowed to do. They used the fact that the crew was not Japanese to their advantage, as the local officals were afraid to talk to them in English.

the OG, in the mood for love

Try some asian cinema.

nothing personal 2009
womb 2010

the only who come close to this

Womb is a massive piece if shit. It also has nothing to do with alienation.

I found Shame (2011) to be really alienating.

You're not wrong about a shift in the zeitgeist desu

Lost in translation is a great film even if 9/11 didn't happen
thats the point, I don't know or care about your 9/11 sob stories man, the film was still great.
now this doesn't mean you opinions about the film capturing this are invalid, it just means stfu about 9/11 already.

I'm told I'm supposed to hate this movie but I thought it was kind of captivating when I saw it. What do people have against it?

American Psycho

Babel that is

The sequences where they're running in the streets kindo f gave me that uneasy feeling.

i think it's important to make the distinction: 9/11 was a turning point in American culture. i'm not saying WOE IS MEEEEEEE what a victim I AM!!!!, i'm just using it to provide context for the feel of those years. you and were probably too young to understand, which is somewhat confusing to my brain. i'm only 35, how can I be out of touch already. in short, get fucked.

>Lost In Translation captured the last fleeting moments of American pop culture before it was polluted by the actions of the state.
I don't share your army or Hawaii experience. And I don't quite agree that action movies were to blame. Action movies have been there all the time, and some say American action deteriorated after that period too.

I do agree that now the whole industry is filled with remake. From that I infer that it's because the industry wants to milk the same millennial generation.

So at the time of Lost in Translation they tried for the last time to engage audience's current life and after that they gave up and make nostalgic stuff>Every victim is a victim of his or her real life.
More like they are in some dead end in their career or health. To the office clerk girl the dead end is her single apartment. To the housewife the dead end is her demented mom in law. To the mom in law it's the dementia.

Dementia is really a bitch. Who can you call and do something about it?

To me the two ghosts are metaphor of death, stagnation or perhaps cancer

At least in the first movies in both Japanese and USA versions it was about desperation. But then the director turned it into some formula and tried to find solution to it. It became regular horror.

Speaking of dementia, check out Iranian guy's A Separation.

Check out Millennium Mambo OP.
Oh and Yi Yi as well.

Sorry I got my post cluttered.

>Every victim is a victim of his or her real life.
More like they are in some dead end in their career or health. To the office clerk girl the dead end is her single apartment. To the housewife the dead end is her demented mom in law. To the mom in law it's the dementia.

Dementia is really a bitch. Who can you call and do something about it?

To me the two ghosts are metaphor of death, stagnation or perhaps cancer

At least in the first movies in both Japanese and USA versions it was about desperation. But then the director turned it into some formula and tried to find solution to it. It became regular horror.

Speaking of dementia, check out Iranian guy's A Separation.

>lost in translation
>lost in tarnation
>wot in tarnation
>;-)

>A Separation
So this is a strange one because Middle East politics are involved. I don't see it that way.

To me I think it's about a well to do family falls apart when they have to take care of a demented father. It's a sad story no matter what god they believe in.

Tokyo Decadence (1992)
The Boy Made In Japan (1995)
Sonatine (1993)
My Man (2015)
All About Lily Chou-Chou (2001)

I lived in waikiki from like 2011 to 2015....i can relate to a lot of what you are saying.

"Do I need to worry about you, Bob?"

"Only if you want to."

I really like this film and I don't care about burgers and there problems I hope its clear

>Sonatine (1993
I saw that one. Good movie too although the part of the elder son going to Afghanistan is a bit ridiculous.

This is really more satisfying than watching Lost in Translation.

But in away it's a different kind of desperation. LIT is desperation for single people and this is one for married, under sub prime crisis, with kids.

To me sub prime is more influential than 9/11. It hurts the spirit I once felt as a kid much more. But that's also because I didn't have to go to military.

Are you maybe talking about the French Sonatine from the 80's? The one from the 90's is Japanese and doesn't involve anyone going to Afghanistan.

It is a different kind of desperation and alienation than LIT though.

It's clear, and I agree with you on the film! I'm only insisting that 9/11 was not merely a "burger problem" but rather a fact of recent history that should be considered when critiquing American films of that era.

Just finished LIT for the 3rd or 4th time. It was still very, very good. Jesus and Mary Chain to finish it off took me right back to childhood, 'round when Johannson was born funnily enough.

Whatchu know about Kuhio Ave and going to them noraebang famalam? I've been back once, in 2015. Would like to go again to get a tattoo and see my ohana.

Thanks for the recommendations, anons. I'll get after them later today.

I had a shitty apt on kuhio and kalaimoku....just 2 blocks up from kelly oniels and Mooses. Good times....or so i tell myself

Days Of Being Wild
The Match Factory Girl

I thought lost in translation was super comfy

I didnt get that part about alienation at all.

>I'm told I'm supposed to hate this movie
You're probably thinking of Crash, the shitty movie that ripped off Babel. Babel is kino.

Yi yi is a good one. It has layer and layer of relationship. Everyone goes to no where. It was also pretty and delicate like Lost in Translation

Asian people and their crowded city and houses and everyone is lonely in their own life phase

Sorry. I found out I was talking about Tokyo Sonata.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=lyWp__jXNRw

I would recommend Peppermint candy
It's even better if you know shit about South Korea. I bearly read about SK but its much more obvious than say your 9/11 comparison with LIT

>ou're probably thinking of Crash, the shitty movie that ripped off Babel
Nah. I remember being in several threads where people were shitting on this movie non stop. Maybe I only heard a loud minority then, but it feels like that movie has a lot of hate surrounding it. People feel it's pretentious, tries hard to mean something etc. When I watched it I detected nothing of that. I felt the drama in the movie was believable and I liked how they all connected in a small way.

Jesus Christ TL;DR
Hang yourself burger.

If the movie was made in 1998 when American Beauty was you'd have said "Him being lost in Japan with no real purpose, dreading going back to the boring plastic "american dream" scenario with his white picket fence really reflects the time the movie was made." The changed zeitgest of 9/11 really doesn't come across at all in your post.

>Lost In Translation captured the last fleeting moments of American pop culture before it was polluted by the actions of the state

So, American culture in the 19th century?
>not knowing the US government has been involved in pop culture as a means for propaganda since WW1

God, Murricans really are retarded.

I hope you get 911 more 9/11s in the next few years.

9/11 was the biggest cultural of the century, it has everything to do with it

Worse. He thinks it was a genuine event born from honest intentions. Probably thinks the stage-play they call journalism is real too. How fucking embarrassing.