>2093

They really couldn't give her a lightsaber prototype or something?

Not even just a power source to heat the blade so it can glow bright red when she's using it?

>tfw you're a better sci-fi director than Ridley fucking Scott

>They really couldn't give her a lightsaber prototype or something?

Well as we've seen in alien: Covenant, AR-15s are still relevant.

But muh stark contrast revealing human helplessness and primitives

Axes are very useful. You can cut things with them.

Do you even know why there is an axe in that scene?

Evidence right now you shit.

Because she couldn't find a flame thrower

it's curved wrong

I can't tell how much of this axe issue is satire. Is it just OP? All of the replies? Nobody? Does anybody sincerely have a problem with the axe?

The axe 'realistically' does nothing, it's completely useless. It's in the shot to communicate stuff to the viewer. If Shaw approached the room unarmed, the sense of danger wouldn't be as obvious. If Shaw was holding a space-gun, it wouldn't be as striking as an axe because it wouldn't stand out as much. The fact that people are fascinated by the axe and keep making threads about it proves that it's effective.

>curved space axe
>12+

It's just a movie dude, OKAY?

See

or you know, it's just bad writing and you're looking into it too deeply.

That post is stupid because it criticises the concept rather than the execution and uses memespeak.

Oh it's most certainly bad writing, bad execution, etc. Lazy.

People in 1955 thought we'd be the fucking Jetsons right now, figure it out. Having back up basic tools on a space mission makes sense.

>tfw you're a better sci-fi director than Ridley fucking Scott

it's a shit idea and you don't know shit about anything

Except technology is advancing more rapidly than at any other point in human history and it's exponential.

It's entirely likely axes would be obsolete in 50 years.

>you're looking into it too deeply.
You have to think in order to follow the movie at all. You're suggesting that it's possible to draw an arbitrary line for where you should stop thinking, as if you can determine how 'smart' a movie is based on your personal gut feeling.

It's not the biggest flaw in the movie, just one of the most obvious. That's why it stands out for a lot of people.

>2017

Why do we still use knifes in the kitchen now that firearms were invented? Can't you just shoot a piece of bread off you retard? It's 2017!

>It's entirely likely axes would be obsolete in 50 years.

Axes will be here long after you, me and fucking trees.

>axes would be obsolete in 50 years
Right after wheel and glass.

>>They really couldn't give her a lightsaber prototype or something?
>
>Not even just a power source to heat the blade so it can glow bright red when she's using it?
You're going the wrong way you retard. That axe is an over designed piece of shit.

This is how children today actually think

Except you're fucking wrong kiddo.

Even on the most advance nuclear subs or in the heart of the pentagon or the kremlin the emergency equipment includes axes because they're robust and get the job done. You'd absolutely want an axe instead of some high tech lazor blade because an axe will never run out of battery and will never glitch and malfunction like a any mechanical equipment might.

You don't see anybody complaining about the push-cart they used to store the gas canisters in when they were trying to escape the Nostromo in Alien - "hurrr why isn't it a maglev cart who the fuck would use wheels." The axe makes perfect sense.

>Except technology is advancing more rapidly than at any other point in human history and it's exponential.
>It's entirely likely axes would be obsolete in 50 years.
axes are already obsolute, you could easily make more advanced gear and have someone replace their axes with it
but why would you?
axes work fine, are cheap, dont rely on power or computers, can be used without training, doesnt pose the security risk a space gun would (as in, you an leave axes around for emergency reasons)
the axe isnt meant for self defense, its meant for the same reason emergency axes are lying around today, because anyone can use them without training, they require no maintenance and they are cheap to make
you keep guns in the gun cabinet/room, even in the future
seriously ''axes will be obsolete''?
will shoes be obsolete? will knives be obsolete?
why? because they are simple and not ''sci-fi''
geez user
you do know we are capable of making flying cars already, and we could easily spend billions year making them ready for mass productions and shit, but we fucking DONT because cars that dont have to fight gravity beyond the wheels keeping them above the road is cheaper, better, but msot importantly, PRACTICAL
an axe is PRACTICAL
thats why axes wont ''become obsolete''
why the fuck spend time and energy inventing a laser axe when you can order one online in high quality metal and readily sharpened?

>overdesigned
Remove the plastic coating at the base of the handle and you get this.

>That axe is an over designed piece of shit.
I admit it is a little bit sci-fi but its hardly much different than a normal emergency axe? handle is a little weird but i'm sure it has some ergonomic reason for it

also i think the angle makes it look bendier than it is

ITS CURVED WRONG

If it's such an obvious flaw why am I so confused? Where's the flaw? It's a fucking axe. Ships have axes, why can't a spaceship have one?

Your dick is curved wrong, raspart.

that explains why it went up your mother's ass

>movie about fucking ALIENS
>biggest complaint is the shape of an axe
I never understood this

>I never understood this
congrats on being an idiot

>implying axe is not most used weapon in human history since prehistoric ages to our times (sfmbe)

Please explain why an axe is dumb?

an axe is EMP proof and waterproof dumbass

It's just so out of place with everything else we've seen.

To think that this argument is for a movie where a bunch of explorers get cursed by the ghosts of skull mountain.

This

Still a shit movie tho

Shut up, this is Sup Forums. You should know better.

>implying the axe hasn't evolved dramatically over the centuries

She should've at least had a line telling us how advanced that axe was compared to past axes.

>"Ah, a tritanium axe with an ergonomically shaped tetra-composite handle and a reinforced mono-molecular polyalloy edge. This will serve me well."

Something like that.

>At last I have become Prometheus

I would watch a Wayne's World cut of Prometheus.

Are you sure you aren't just autistic? I didn't notice it until people started pointing it out here.

god damnit I don't know why that picture is so fucking weird looking.

Looks like she has big head mode enabled

I dunno then, maybe you're just oblivious?

its you man, there is nothing out of place about an axe
its a fucking basic tool!
if you saw someone use a knife and fork in a sci-fi movie would you call it ''out of place''?

Just a plain silver knife or fork? Probably. They need to at least try to make it look futuristic.

>you could easily make more advanced gear and have someone replace their axes with it
Name something

LASER AXE
MAGNETIC ANTI-MATTER AXE
SUPEr MEga HEATED AXE

but
why would you when its just meant to be an axe?

The goofy forward angle just stands out. If it had been a basic as fuck red fire axe, no one would had bat an eye.

But it HAD to be this stupid looking curved handle SPACE AXE.

And some Sup Forums autism, everyone noticed it, but Sup Forums sperglords ran with it.

>if you saw someone use a knife

It better look like either a lightsaber or this.

Nigga how else are they supposed to chop down space trees?

haha its funny because I can't tell if you're serious or not...
seriously I can't : (

>can't comprehend others having different opinions

Adulthood is going to eat you alive.

not what I said asshole

Exactly, only autists cared

Axes are cheap, reliable and practical tools. It isn't that fucking hard to question why there was one there.

the gist of it is there are autists sperging beccuase they can't understand why they wouldn't make an expensive, unreliable (relies on power/wires) and unpractical (requires training and service) spacey futury tool

criminally underrated

You are new fresh breed of fucking retard, and I genuinely want you to put on a trip and publically break down all sorts of movie "plot holes" you could patch up with your insight.

>AR15s are still relevant
Sorry to burst your Star Wars bubble, but combustion guns are unlikely to ever be replaced as handheld weapons.

agree but with the added hypothesis that with every trailer for every movie released from now on there's a whole demographic DESPERATE to create the next epic meme off even a single frame

>technology is advancing exponentially
Yet you still eat with a fork, drink from a glass and shit with your ass. Go figure.

Not all children, just the brainletd who watch popsci crap and think they are oh-so-smart, even though they have literally no understanding of technical or scientific matters.

No, watching black science man does not make one a scientist engineer.

Axes have been around for thousands of years and their design hasn't changed because it simply works. This movie is dogshit but this is the last shit you should be criticising it about.

I think he's more complaining about the AR-15 itself still being in use 100 years down the line even though it's an old piece of shit today that only sees service because it would cost to much to replace it.

Are you sure

>AR-15
>Peice of shit

Spotted the nogunz

this
I swear to god this looks like a fucking shop. Wth is wrong with her?

You still see Afghans and half of /k/ running around with Nuggets so I don't see the problem. There is only so much you can inventify on a gun.

She is leaning forward.

>space axe prop

Modern tools are already like this with wonky looking ergonomics.

Also to say that a crew making a trip to deep space wouldn't need an axe is retarded. Think of how many things the fire departments do with their axes

She looks like a submidget with a fat little fridge body holding a bent toothpick
That's often how that actress looks, though

>prometheus
>bad writing
Say it ain't so!

>Axes have been around for thousands of years and their design hasn't changed
It has changed quite a bit over that time period though. Advances in metalurgy and casting have seen to that. Old world axes tend to be double sided bow tie looking joints. The one sided axe we think of it only a few hundred years old at best.