Adapting Anime

With Ghost In The Shell getting surprisingly not horrific reviews thus far, I feel like the dialogue's about to be opened on adapting a lot of anime for Western audiences. We may very well be entering the age of animekino.

It's gotten me thinking recently about making anime adaptations, and how if the West leans into it we'll have to drop "Nolanizing" movies. A good deal of anime is built on big emotions and bigger ideas, and to do that justice directors are gonna have to start thinking differently. Recently it occurred to me that there's very few Western directors as of right now that could really sell anime in a profitable way. In fact, the only one capable of doing something like this (that comes to mind) is Sam Raimi, who's proven that he can do cartoonish spectacle in a way that's close to the source material.

What do you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/U-obik9VALI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I jsut saw Ghost in the shell.
It was a good movie. 8/10.
The original was also an 8/10.
Both did things well that the other did poorly and vice versa.

It was a little muddled for my taste. Visually it's everything I want in a cyberpunk movie, but storywise it didn't know if it wanted to be a straight adaptation of the original movie (or comics) or a prequel story.

>bump

>that Koichi

Koichi's the only one that worries the shit out of me. Rest of them look fucking great.

However
>tfw we haven't seen Stands yet

Everyone except Josuke looks wrong.
Josuke is crazy fucking spot on though what the fuck.

I thought Yukako looked pretty accurate, or as accurate as she could get.

Considering it's live action you're not gonna be able to get a fucking giant (that can act, mind) to play Jotaro.

What do they call this hairstyle?

Because you're not a stand user

Bizarre

If Miike uses that excuse I'm gonna be fucking pissed.

The only shot of what could potentially be Stands (that we've seen) is a dude flying off to the side into a wall.

Technically it's a pompadour

it didn't want to be a straight adaption of the original movie or any of the other source material, and that's OK in my books. It's just that they took ideas from the original movie and the second part, SAC, arise, the novels and the manga and then left out the more complex topics from all of them.
I don't understand why. Do they seriously think that their audience is to retarded and/or not willing to follow a more challenging and deep plot? The source material offers so much potential and they barely scratched the surface. That's what i really don't like about the movie.

Other than that i have little criticism that doesn't really ruin the experience. Scarlett doesn't really fit the body type one would expect the major to have if one knows the source material. I dislike how they changed the background of some of the characters (like batou not going full cyborg while he was in the marines). Aramaki doing the dirty work himself. Most of section 9 could use some more screentime for character developement.

Other than that the movie is good i suppose. But i dig anything with good cyberpunk visuals.

Ugly.

>Do they seriously think that their audience is to retarded and/or not willing to follow a more challenging and deep plot?
It's Hollywood, of course they think we're fucking retards.

And I feel you on the "anything with cyberpunk visuals" thing. Such a great style, and they used it well here.

I don't understand how you can take parts from all those stories and not be left with a fucking mess.

I don't understand how you can take anything from SAC at all if you can't tell the entire story.

>and not be left with a fucking mess.
>implying the film isn't a really pretty trainwreck

They didn't take the larger plot elements, just some scenes. And then they built a new plot around that. 2501 or the laughingman arc aren't in there for example. What they took from the first movie are some scenes like the fight in the water and some generic background.

And that wouldn't have been necessarily bad. The movie tries to stand on its own, that could have worked out brilliantly while also offering some fan service in the form or recognizable scenes. What they fail at is creating a plot that's as deep and thought provocing as the various plotlines in the source material.

The gimmick is rumored to be that you don't see Stands until Koichi gets struck with the Arrow, since he's the audience expy for the first segment of DiU. That would be right before the Crazy D vs The Hand and Bad Company fights for the climax, building up Stands like horror movie monsters for the big reveal at the end.

The one on the far left, is that supposed to be Angelo?

A hamburger patty.

HEY SENIOR

I think so. How much is this movie gonna cover?

I don't know. For me, it be natural to end at the end of the Red Hot Chili Pepper arc. But that would be a lot of content to stuff in one movie.

Anime is autistic as fuck. That's why it can't translate to live-action.

no go away

That Yukako makes my dick into diamonds, wanna see her with white hair. Can they even squeeze in that "Misery" arc?

>Westernizing anime
Not always such a bad thing

It was a mediocre film at best (5.5/10). The original was a cyberpunk masterpiece (9/10).

>I jsut saw Ghost in the shell.
>It was a good movie. 8/10.
Confirmed for shit movie.

What's with the main character's dumb hairdo?

I'd spill cream on her bean if you know I mean.

I want a western jojo cast with at least 6 foot chads .ripped as fuck. also while keeping the fab aesthetic and costumes true to the source. don't care if the kino is shit, just want to see irl jojos

Jojo and Gantz are two properties begging for an AMERICA! version.

>Sam Raimi
I love Sam Raimi, I just don't know if he's interested in doing something anime related, Another option is Ryuhei Kitamura, he has directed movies in america, he could make a faithful adaptation of any anime.

>ghost in the shell thread on Sup Forums
>write almost maxed out post about adaptions and whatnot
>send
>thread deleted
what the fuck? Sup Forums content is allowed on Sup Forums if it's manga/animu based. says so in the fucking rules. goddamnit.

now that you mention gantz, if an adaption was done it wouldn't even need to shit on the source, because you can just make it about an american team, make it a high test action flick, tits, gore, explosions. ffuck man

you guys were saying the exact same thing about Warcraft, except Warcraft did shittier.

AnimeKino will never happen

vidyakino is dead

long live capekino, all hail snyder.

it's hard to win with anime live action stuff

you either try to make it like the anime (exaggerated emotions, movements etc.) but with actual people = total cringefest
or you try to tone it down = waah waah this isn't like my animu

Best guesses:

Movie one is from the beginning to RHCP killing Keicho, hints at Yukako arc.

Movie two will have Yukako and RHCP assumedly, Miike said the sequel would also have Joseph for sure and Kira, so I could see it ending with the SHA fight.

Movie three is the last act of DiU.

just post it here. The mods will stop being cunts once it hits more cinemas and more people talk about it. The last two threads on Sup Forums reached bump limit and got archived.

Ghost In The Shell is the limp copy of a 1994 chinese cartoon

its a cow lick

Please, god, no.

>Corkus taller than guts
>ugly jew nose Griffith

I'M UPSET!

Live action Phantom Blood when? Also, who should they cast?

I'd like a SBR adaptation that focuses on the characters a bit more

As long as the facesitting is in there. fucking Araki man.

No. stop.

If anime adaptations are to be taken seriously in Hollywood, then that shit is out.

Id love to see FMA get its due with a 3-5 movie series.
Realistically it'll be Attack on Ttian next. Makes the most sense. Teens killing giant monsters screams Hollywood.

tall attractive white male actors that are good, are few far and between

>Phantom Blood by Guillermo Del Toro
>Henry Cavill as Jonathan Joestar

who the fug are the two on the left supposed to be?

Stardust with WWE stars. Done.

Angelo and Keicho.

Dio will probably be impossible to cast perfectly.

I feel like Anime is a lot harder to adapt to the big screen than you think it is. Not only can different things be expressed through animation to live action, and most Hollywood directors don't give a shit about Anime and don't understand what makes the source material great (or they do and aren't allowed to do what they want to by executives).

Getting someone who can do both is near impossible, which is why most adaptations are bad. I'm not looking to forward to this JoJo adaptation because the tone seems all over the place. You have these goofy designs in a dark gritty environment. It only works in the manga because it's a fucking manga.

There are a couple of things people complained about that I find a bit silly:
>Motoko isn't asian! omg whitewash!
Have these people ever seen animu? Apart from very few exceptions, the japanese whitewash their animu themselves. almost no MC in Animu looks japanese at all. Certainly not Motoko, Batou or Togusa. Hell Chief Aramaki comes the closest to looking japanese.
>Live Action Motoko is different from Animated Movie Motko!
Yeah? But is she a bad Motoko? Is the new Character dumb? Does it not work in some way? With a new medium comes changes, Animated movie Motoko is very different from manga Motoko, in looks, age and behaviour. They changed her character to make it work for the animated movie. Do the changes to SJ,s Motoko make sense to make her work for the new movie? If so, it's ok, if not, it's bad, but not because "omg they changed something" but because they couldn't create a motoko that works in a live action environment.

I think this movie gets a lot of flack for not being "literally exactly the movie but with real people", but they don't seem to realise that such a thing would not really work. Because A: a good remake brings new things to the original work (see: Scarface). and B: you need to account for the changes in medium. Just as with books, some stuff will have to be reworked, or get lost. Often in a book, the author can directly tell you what goes trough a characters mind, what he thinks of the situation he is in, but with a movie you can't just suddenly zoom in on his face and let him rattle down some internal monologue each time that happened in the books, You have to convey it a different way, say with a facial expression, or the way he moves/stands, or even just shaking his head. Same goes for the transition from animu to live action. Some stuff just doesn't work as well. If you have an edgy "dark and brooding" type animu character that seldom speaks and spends most of his time looking angrily at people, that can work in anime,

It'd be really hard to nail it, honestly. You have to look the part AND act it well.

But if you copy that to live action without changing anything, you end up with "weird douchebag" instead of "super powerful dark silent type"

It's too bad he's starting to look old, because I think Michael C. Hall could play Dio pretty well. He doesn't look exactly like him, but he could definitely act it

Oh and of course: We've already had a really good live action Ghost in the Shell. It was called: The Matrix

He's got the angular as fuck eyebrows for it, at least in most pictures.

You're completely right. People seem to forget that animation and live action are two completely different mediums and get disappointed when there's differences between the animated and live action adaptations of a certain series.

You can't do the same things with both. It's borderline impossible.

The biggest problem would be that him trying to look like an eternal fucking eighteen year old would end up looking like the flashbacks in Dexter where he played young Dexter and it looked really fucking bad.

But can he WRYYYYYYYY?

that finnish band that covers whyy whyy whyy delaila-style

I mean even if it wasn't.. Why would you watch it if it was literally the same thing? Like I said: Look at Scarface, a remake so good, most casual viewers don't even know it IS a remake. (granted the original was from the 30s and is gonna be a hundred years old in 5 years time)

They were faithful to the spirit but they changed some stuff around, bringing scarface into the 80s.

That goes for any adaption or remake, don't literally make the same thing, make something that works for what you have. another strong example are the Harry Potter Books vs the Films. The books are very much about the notion of not being alone, of standing together with friends and family to overcome the darkest of times, The Films do have a strong sense of friendship and family but here we have a stronger emphasis on growing up from a child to man and taking some of these responsibilities into your own hand and being brave to protect your friends and family.

If you want a good anime to live action example watch the Matrix. The wachowskis basically showed Ghost in the Shell and said "we want to do this but real" and that's what they did. hell, if you watch GitS (1995) just before the Matrix you will even notice multiple scenes they've taken straight from GitS, lots of the "revolutionary" shit that happened in the Matrix was in Anime long before.

Nana Komatsu makes my dick diamonds. Cant wait for 10th april and drop of Destruction Babies in english

youtu.be/U-obik9VALI

No, anime will never be mainstream in the West and that's a good thing. If you're a wannabe normie who desperately wants other normies to like his hobby, just find yourself another one :3

>all those over the top muscly 'manry' designs in manga
>irl twinky Japs in live action
the contrast is just hilarious

>anime will never be mainstream in the West
You mean "shit Sup Forums likes will never be mainstream in the West" because Ghibli stuff is already pretty damn mainstream. Not "Capeshit" Mainstream but pretty damn mainstream.

>Almost no MC in Animu looks japanese at all. Certainly not Motoko, Batou or Togusa.
Bullshit.

You do realize Part 4 is the beginning of Araki slimming down his character designs right?

Even Jotaro is not as huge in part 4 that he was in part 3

looks pretty white to me.

Looks just like the dudes in OPs picture.

I think it would be less enjoyable if you have not seen the anime movies first. I kept recognizing all the scenes from the previous ones and it just made sense the way they did it. Not too unoriginal, not too unloyal.

that ending was cringe worthy though but they started strong and keep it up most of the way.

I hated the music though and the transition from generic two steps from hell into the classic intro music for the credits didnt work. they should have made that the final piece and ended on a silent peaceful note instead of that happy triumphant shit.

I could do it. But Im not selling my scripts for cheap
I mean seriously Ive thought this shit through, talked to a few friends who watch anime and people who dont

let me do it

Nigga what? Do you know what Japanese People look like? Here's a comparison:
To the Togusa:
Long haired, Square jawed individual with large typical european eyes and a very pronounced nose. on top of that, in later incarnations he is displayed with light brown, almost blonde hair as opposed to the typical japanese black hair. His most japanese feature here is in fact that the hair is black. His whole body statue is very un-japanese, at 5'10 he is a bit bigger than the average 5'2 of japanese males.

to the right you have a random japanese man I've googled. Here you see the more common, rounder facial features of your average japanese male. Note also the somewhat smaller nose and of course the famous japanese eyes that you only rarely see in anime.
I'm sorry but Togusa does NOT look japanese at all, and I don't think there is any room to argue that Motoko looks asian at all, specially in Stand alone Complex. Like I said, Chief Aramaki looks by far most asian in the show/movie.

Yes user. I do know what Japanese people look like.

see and >large typical european eyes and a very pronounced nose
haha you what?

I meant to link

I think a part 3 movie could work if you were clever about which fight you cut and which fights you keep. They would also probably have to make Jotaro white (not what I would do, but I would rename him Jonathan II if they had to). Also parts 5 and 7 could work pretty well, especially 5 since it takes place in a exotic place like Italy and has the easiest fights to adapt (King Crimson makes sense in movement, Epitaph doesn't, just cut that... Oh, and have Doppio's transformation to Diavolo be to 20th Century Schizoid Man).

Full Metal Alchemist could work if someone gave a fuck.

Monster could work if someone gave a fuck.

One Punch Man could work if someone gave a fuck.

Nausicca will work once Miyazaki croaks and Disney buys them off.

0079 Gundam could work if they made it a trilogy and didn't focus that much on the new-type hacks. In fact, I'm still baffled they haven't made a 0079 big budget trilogy being that Gundam is so popular in Chinaland.

A shit ton of Seinen and shoujo dramas could work if they just made they just whitewashed the cast.

One Piece is literally unadaptable.
EVA is unadaptable.
Akira you could try, but I doubt it would be good.

Every Satoshi Kon movie could become a great Oscar bait style "foreign" film made by a western studio, like all those "Indian" movies that critics.

>haha you what?
Are you implying that Japanese don't have narrow eyes / smaller noses? Yes I said European instead of Western eyes, my bad. But comon, even the picture you posted looks incredibly non-japanese. The picture you posted looks close to the one I'm posting with this one, then.. then well ANYTHING you find on the first page when you google "Japanese male"

>Are you implying that Japanese don't have narrow eyes / smaller noses?

No user. I'm implying you're fucking blind to blatantly Japanese features.

black lagoon should be rather easy too. just make it PG17 or whatever the US version of "no fucking kids in the cinema" is called.

Nigga Did you google "togusa Manga"? because that's not togusa as in the manga, because what you just posted is fucking Togusa fan-art. Pic realted, Manga togusa. And anyhow that's another thing antirely as I mentioned in my original post about changes from medium to medium.
I was talking about japanese characters in ANIME in general and in GitS Anime in particular. They look strikingly white washed and un-japanese.

What character is the person on the far left post to be?

>They look strikingly white washed and un-japanese.
Except that they blatantly don't at all. Even this comparison you made falls flat because they do still look similar.

They've got similar eyes, similar noses, similar chins, and similar hair.

probably the first villain that kills Josuke's grandfather

The gentarou kisaragi

>you either try to make it like the anime (exaggerated emotions, movements etc.) but with actual people = total cringefest
>or you try to tone it down = waah waah this isn't like my animu
I thought that Ruroni Kenshin honestly got a good balance.

>The original was also an 8/10.
>The original was also

They just need to stop it.

Also Usagi Drop adaption with daughter end when?

But they don't. not at all.
left - right
larger rounder eyes - smaller narrower eyes
Large and longer nose - smaller less prominent nose
Longer hair, uncommon (but not unheard of) - typical japanese short haircut
Square and strongly pronounced jaw/face in general - less pronounced jaw, rounder face in general
pointy chin - rounder, less pronounced chin
(not pictured)
Broader build - smaller build
5'10 above average japanese height - 5'2 average japanese male height

now, similarities:
Dark eyes for both, typical japanese feature.
Dark hair for both, another typical japanese feature And even this falls away after the animated Movie because from that point on he has light brown hair again, something less common in japan.

>adapt part 4 into a movie
>angelo, nijimuras, yukako
4/10 will not watch

Not seeing it user. Look way more alike then any look like this faggot.I mean come on, look at how short his hair is.
Oh and facial structure, nose shape, eye shape, eye spacing ect, but they are just minor points next to the hair cut