The last good american sport

join us

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lZn-5d4M4Nw
hometracks.nascar.com/tracks
racing-reference.info
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Nascar is for when you think that the NFL isn't boring enough.

>sport
The other day I had some friends over and I won NASCAR,

More road courses and I'll think about it.

le drive a car and call it a sport

How do NASCAR fans even choose who they root for? If the driver is from your state, or if they're sponsored by your favorite brand of piss beer?

They dun goofed trying to appeal to people that will never give a shit and capitulating to safetycucks. Absolutely ruined beyond repair now

This
>objective of the (((sport))) is to go as fast as possible
>lets restrict our cars during the biggest races because normalfags who never watch our sport get nervous watching E!SJW "highlights"

Pretending to have a hot pass is fun

They probably rig this shit too honestly, I swear to god everything in this society is so fucking corporate and meaningless

NASCAR is the WWE of racing.
It's hard to call it a competition when so many of the rules are designed purely for spectacle.

Also
Pic Related is the last good American Sport.

I genuinely don't understand the appeal of NASCAR. At least with F1 the drivers have to maneuver through turns and curves and shit. In Nascar all the cars just rotate in a giant blob around the track like a school of fish, occasionally changing position or pulling off to refuel.

Literally esports tier

I genuinely don't understand the appeal of F1. At least with Nascar there are quality passes made on almost every lap. In
F1 all the cars just circulate in a giant line around the track like a trail of ants, occasionally changing position or pulling off for fresh tires.

You're right F1 is shit too. But NASCAR is still worse.

uh, no.
>stages
>playoffs
I don't consider NASCAR racing anymore. its a staged soap opera on wheels. pro wrestling tier trash.

watch IndyCar if you want real racing

THIS
how long until IndyCar season? I miss /indy/

Season starts on the streets of St. Pete's on March 11th.

fuck yes
I heard Schmidt-Peterson is basically Team Canada now, Hinch and Wickens on the same team

And a new hotshot race engineer. My bet is they get 2 wins and 4 or 5 podiums this season.
Looking forward to the Mid-Ohio and Portland races this year. Too bad they dropped Watkins Glen though.

Too put it lazily, the emphasis is racing the cars, not the track

How though? How do I pick a driver?

Lol they aren't gonna win shit, maybe one if they are extremely lucky. keep dreaming tho

How can you make car racing so boring?

Nope. Was a fan for years. After Dale died, they went crazy with rules and template changes, and safety. I mean you are going 200+ MPH... Can you really make that safe. The last year I watched it I found myself falling asleep through almost the whole race just to wake up for the last few laps.

And like a buddy of mine once said. It does not matter if you have the best/fastest car out there, it doesn't matter if you lead every lap from Lap 1. You can even lead the last lap. It's whoever crosses the finish line first on that lap.

Other than that last lap. It's become drama and a bore fest.

Can someone provide me with some good sources to watch to get into Nascar? I've been looking into how the playoffs and point system works but I need something to hype me up for it I think. I currently don't care about any of the drivers and I think that might help. I plan on watching the Daytona 500 this year but I don't think I will last long if I don't know much about it.

Also maybe an origin of Nascar documentary or something? If you were just getting into Nascar what would be the first few things you would recommend to watch?

There's a bunch out there, not really sure what to recommend or where to start. I'd say start by watching the lower series Daytona races in the week leading up to the 500 - they're shorter, and you'll get an idea of what you're going to see come the main event.

Truck series is best, there's a lot of full races on Youtube. Last year's Daytona 250 was good.

youtube.com/watch?v=lZn-5d4M4Nw

Also keep in mind that other than Talladega, the pack racing that you see at Daytona is unique and doesn't happen on the average track.

Also keep in mind that NASCAR is in a dull period where the executives have come up with all kinds of ways to artificially inject excitement and storylines into the races. Partially due to aero tech, partially due to an over-reliance on tracks that just aren't suited for good racing (Most 1.5 mile circuits). Short tracks, road courses, and superspeedways are generally better.

My brother. Even our food is fake

Schedule leading up to the Daytona 500 is

Saturday 2/10 ARCA 200
Sunday 2/11 Clash (75 lap All-Star type race)
Thursday 2/15 Cup Qualifying Race 1
Thursday 2/15 Cup Qualifying Race 2
Friday 2/16 Truck Series 250
Saturday 2/17 Xfinity Series 300
Sunday 2/18 Daytona 500

Opening Daytona is the only race to have qualifying features. ARCA isn't a NASCAR-sanctioned series but they run essentially the same cars.

Series tiers (from top-down) are

Monster Energy Cup (touring)
Xfinity (touring)
Camping World Trucks (touring)
K&N Pro Series East (touring)
K&N Pro Series West (touring)
Whelen All-American Series (local tracks)

And then ARCA, which if it were in the feeder system would be below Trucks. They run a mix of every kind of track, including dirt. K&N series is split into two geographically and runs small tracks. All-American series is for local track championships and isn't televised.

Map:

hometracks.nascar.com/tracks

The only sport where every fan hates people who win. In order to be a true Nascar fan, you have to only like drivers who are terrible.

I got into the Drivers meeting at homestead once because i had a Gordon pit shirt on and no one noticed

>le drive in circles until fatal crashes happen
not a sport

this desu

MLB and NBA are God's gift compared to this dogshit called NASCAR.
I don't get why Basketball gets so much hate here on Sup Forums.

so everyone who likes nascar likes it for the crashes, right? can't blame you though the youtube compilations are pretty good

I like it for the competition aspect. All the TV bullshit and entertainment aspects, it's a very competitive series between the top teams.

i root for the young drivers but then stop when they get too good. Might have to move on from Blaney soon

because black people

not necessarily, there's races where I'm hoping it goes clean

>When your dad knows Richard Buck so you can get a hot pass to any race

feels good desu

You know your daddy is giving him head for those tickets right?

my dad just emails him asking if he could have a pass. he knows him from when they were both working for indycar

You know if you use entire words you sound like less of a dribbling dipshit, right?

If you ever went to an american race you'd realize quickly the type of person you're dealing with there

Thanks friend.

NASCAR is fun but I think the TV presentation is very poor. Theres a lot of showing a guy racing by himself instead of focusing on the dudes who are battling.

The engineering aspect of it is extremely underrated as well.

also go to a race

This, fucking this. NBC in particular was awful, just constant ads and bullshit on the screen out the ass, all while you just follow the leader around the track with hardly any car noise.

I watched "NASCAR CWTS 2017 Daytona nextera energy Resources 250" and had no idea who anyone was and still enjoyed it. I've seen complaints about the stages but I think they're pretty good. It feels like you're watching multiple races in one with added breaks between them. I doesn't feel as daunting a task to watch over an hours worth of racing as a newcomer. You get that checkered flag feeling 3 times per race and drivers seem to fight for position during each Stage end which is pretty awesome. It also allows drivers that crash near the end to compete in Stage 1 & 2 for points even if they don't finish. Feels like an overall grade for the race instead of a DNF.

The common point I keep hearing is 'why does there need to be caution lap to end a stage?' I'm not entirely convinced one way or the other quite yet. How do you feel about the change to add stages?

I became a Jeff Gordon fan when I won a 24 hat at some giveaway as a kid

>I mean you are going 200+ MPH... Can you really make that safe.
That's the whole problem, they actually did, at the expense of making it watchable or being able to take it seriously

I generally like the stages, but they shouldn't have them at superspeedways and road courses.

Also if you're looking for driver info, everything is here

racing-reference.info

i root for the car number my dad rooted for back in the day, #2

Thank you. That's a really good website. I've been looking for something that lists a schedule for upcoming races in a format like that.

I've also watched a couple documentaries involving rivalries and I think my favorite is Gordon and Earnhardt. Is there a current rivalry at that level? I plan on watching the 1997 and 1999 Daytona 500's some time this week.

There's no absolute blood rivalries right now. Kyle Busch and Brad Keselowski have had rivalries with half the garage, and right now it's with each other. In general Brad is too opinionated and Kyle is just a massive dickhead. Logano and Hamlin are also dislikable and throw tantrums from time to time.

The older veteran drivers mostly all recently retired so a lot of the new faces in Cup don't really offer personalities yet.

Fair enough. Through watching the Truck series race I enjoyed watching rookies more than I thought I would. It's interesting to hear the commentary explaining what everyone is doing wrong and what to look for as someone who is new to watching.