What even is the point of pass interference? This penalty is retarded...

What even is the point of pass interference? This penalty is retarded. Whenever a receiver gets touched and doesn't catch the ball there's a flag. It's the receivers job to catch the ball. The defense is supposed to make plays. Why even have a defense if they will just get refballed when they actually defend?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.com/1242wb33
weei.com/articles/column/tomase-pass-interference-numbers-favoring-patriots-are-even-crazier-you-think
twitter.com/AnonBabble

without it, the best defensive strategy would be to just constantly grab the arms of receivers and basically remove passing as an option.

however it is one of the most subjective penalties to call and refs catch shit for calling it or not, so it's the most noticeably shitty flag.

They should just get rid of the forward pass entirely. The passing game is for pussies like Tom Brady who aren't willing to run the ball and take a hit.

We need two-tiered DPI: Incidental is 15yds, personal foul is spot-foul. Gets rid of ticky-tack bullshit ruining games while also maintaining the original intent of the rule.

>they should just get rid of the most entertaining and skilled part of the game

Even I a non american think that getting rid of pass interference is retarded, it's like getting rid of offsides in football.

Football should be about strength and strategy, not skill.

>Changing a subjective penalty into an even more subjective penalty
You just increased refball exponentially

>cheaters can prosper

Ew. Watch NCAA ball if you want to see that garbage.

>What even is the point of pass interference?
To stop the steel curtain, it resulted in making Bradshaw to Swan unbeatable.

Just watch rugby

it also benefits defenders, a lot of cornerbacks are small compared to wide receivers and could be easily pushed away.

Same with holding. Random holding calls when literally every lineman is holding all the time

Yep, the modern version of pass interference is also called the Mel Blount Rule. And it still didn't stop him from shutting down every WR in the league afterwards.

>They should just get rid of the forward pass entirely
so rugby then

just change it from a spot foul, its retarded that you can just lob it deep and the refs will give you 68 yds in penalty gifts. Cap that shit at 15yds

>receiver running
>suddenly stops
>defender doesnt have time and runs into him
>missed catch
>flag

explain this shit

If you cap it to 15 yards, defenders will PI every deep ball thrown if they can't make a better play at it.
>Sorry the defender took away your 60 yard bomb, here take this 15 yarder instead!

and you still get 15 yds and an automatic first down, which is better than the flacco tier garbage of
>chuck it deep and pray the refs save you

Imagine it's analogous to the difference between running into the kicker and roughing the kicker. Blatant pass interference is very easy to see, especially if you make it reviewable

>2018
>watching flagball

There’s really no way to play football without it being refball. Either you have the rules and the refs gift yards, or you get rid of the rule and receivers never will catch the ball because they get interfered. Best option is to watch a better sport.

except even in college that rarely happens unless corners know 1000% they are beat for a td, as its far better to get a team off the field than it is to give them a new set of downs and 15% of the field

I think it's healthier for the game to have offenses attempt to manipulate PI rules over defenses try to manipulate PI rules. If the refs make better calls, the current rule is fine.
I agree.

(you)

It gives the refs an effective tool to rig games without making it obvious. Why do you think they can't be challenged?

Nah. Make it all 15 yards. Then hacks like the cheatriots will call less plays that intentionally attempt to snag an interference penalty.

I mean seriously they called at least 3 separate plays in the 4th quarter alone which never meant to be a deep ball catch but merely to leave the possibility of getting a flag

The call is subjective, and from the refs viewpoint, it will always look like the defender caught up to the receiver and tackled him early instead of what it really is (the WR slowing down). Weirdly, it seems like Bellicheck is the only HC in the league thats realized teaching your WRs to play the victim and purposefully get in bad situations is the easiest way to win a game due to the spot foul. Especially when you play against overactive and aggresive CBs that are so eager to make a play that they can't realize they've been baited until after the game.
It's almost like the other coaches in this league don't want to win.

Makes it easier to write the script. Need a team to score a touchdown? Just call a PI on any random hail mary pass.

wanna save football: do what they do in NHL
only player on each team who can ask refs about rule interpretation is the captain
otherwise the entire game will be a constant challenge

⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣴⣶⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣶⣦⣀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀
⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢠⣶⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠿⠿⠿⠿⠿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣀⢀⢀
⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠿⠛⠋⠁⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⠈⠙⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄
⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠏⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⠈⠛⢿⣿⣿⡀
⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⡟⠁⢀⣤⣶⣦⣤⣄⣀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⣀⣙⢿⣿
⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⣿⣿⣿⣿⡟⢀⢀⠚⠁⢀⢀⠈⠉⠛⠓⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⠰⠚⠛⠛⣛⠉⠁⢿⣇
⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢸⣿⣿⣿⠁⢀⢀⢀⣠⡴⠖⢒⡚⠳⣄⢀⢀⡠⠴⢦⢀⢀⣠⠶⢓⡛⣷⢀⢸⣿⡄
⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⠸⣿⣿⣿⢀⢀⢀⢀⠫⢄⣰⣿⣿⣠⠞⢠⢯⡄⢠⡜⡆⢀⠉⠛⠿⠿⠏⢀⢸⣿⣿
⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⣏⠻⠇⠘⠇⣹⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢸⣿⢏
⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⣿⣿⣿⣇⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⠈⣡⣤⣤⣤⣁⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⣾⠁⢻⣄
⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⣴⣿⣿⣿⣿⣺⡆⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢰⡟⢠⣿⡿⢀
⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⠸⣿⣿⣿⡇⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⣦⢀⢀⢀⢀⠸⡇⢸⡿⠁⢀
⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢿⣿⣿⡇⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⡇⢀⡠⠶⠶⢤⡀⢀⠿⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⡇⠘⣷⢀⢀
⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⠘⣿⣿⣷⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢠⠞⠁⢀⢀⢀⠙⢦⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⠰⣇⢀⣸⡆
⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢻⡿⠿⢧⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⠈⠃⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡇
⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⠈⠷⣄⠈⣧⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⣰⣿⣿⠋
⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⠉⠛⠚⣧⣀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⣀⣰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⢸⠉⠉⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⠉⠁⢀⢀⢀⢀⢀⠉⠉⣿⣿⣿⣿

strawpoll.com/1242wb33

Who will win SB 52?

Those would have been caught if dpi didn't occur.

Iggles

so defenders cant do anything then?

Yea defenders can legally defend the pass you brainlet. Kys for making such a terrible post

>What even is the point of pass interference?
It makes it easier to help out the Patriots when they're losing. Notice that it wasn't called against the Patriots when Lewis was tackled before the ball arrived on a 3rd down play in the 4th quarter.

>US flag
>doesnt understand one of the most basic rules/penalties in football
This entire post is bait, if u had UK flag ud get a pass not knowing better but this is a murrican sport. Shame on you!

Andy Reid is that you?

PI exists to be the #2 go-to matchfixing penalty because it has the highest ceiling of them all (99 yards and a free first down)

But holding reigns supreme. Free set of downs for something that happens multiple times on every single play, so all you have to do is pick and choose when you want to call it to steer a game

Fuck the refs

>no pass interference
>every single play someone just tackles a WR before the ball even gets there
>every single play CBs and defensive players just wrap up every receiver making it impossible to catch the ball

Well, that's essentially how the Patriots beat the Rams in XXXVI. The problem is, we still see that happen. Officials pick and choose when to call it. Sometimes the slightest contact is called, then later in the game we'll see someone get mauled and no flag

the conclusions people draw from the calls/no calls is the problem. 90% of the NFL refs are dogshit and call things too inconsistently. Its too bad that when the pats win the shitty calls by refs turn into "the ptariots are cheating"

> If you cap it to 15 yards, defenders will PI every deep ball thrown if they can't make a better play at it.

The QB shouldn’t be throwing 60 yard bombs to WRs who are tightly covered, simply to try and get a pass interference flag.

That’s not sports.

> Sorry the defender took away your 60 yard bomb, here take this 15 yarder instead!

Sorry the defender took away your uncatchable 60 yard bomb, here take this 15 yarder, a 1st down and three more chances to score instead!

So you want rugby?

Hmm, the 15-yard penalty actually works okay in college. Defenders may mug the receiver and accept the foul instead of allowing a touchdown, but that already happens anyway.

>They should just get rid of the forward pass entirely. The passing game is for pussies like Tom Brady who aren't willing to run the ball and take a hit.

I sleep easy knowing there are people so much more retarded than me that I'll never be the dumbest person around.

If the competition Committee has balls, they'll make the penalty like in college where it's 15 yards no matter what, eliminating this 45-yard spot foul nonsense we see every other drive nowadays.

But we know they don't and their Vegas and Jew York buddies wouldn't like it at all, so we're are where we're at probably until the inevitable lockout in a few years' time anyway. Or that Jewdell and the owners see the ratings reports slipping so drastically that they've have to take some action.

the point is to hand yards to a team.

say the QB throws a pass short and out of bounds that the receiver could not possibly catch. Well, if you want a team to win, you call PI on the defender.

>They should just get rid of the forward pass entirely. The passing game is for pussies like Sammy Baugh and Otto Graham who aren't willing to run the ball and take a hit.

here's your (You) moron

They should get rid of referees. Prsison rules. Where you at Vince McMahon?

Which isn't against the rules

> Which isn't against the rules

Not shit, which is why everybody has been bitching that the rules need to CHANGE.

weei.com/articles/column/tomase-pass-interference-numbers-favoring-patriots-are-even-crazier-you-think
JANUARY 22, 2018

Pass interference numbers favoring Patriots are even crazier than you think

It's a story that has repeated itself all season. No team converted more first downs via penalties (50) than the Patriots.
No team recorded more automatic first downs (43). No team gained more yards on defensive pass interference (355).
Only four clubs drew more PI calls than the Pats' 14.

On the flip side, no team allowed fewer first downs by penalty (23), and only two were flagged for fewer defensive pass
interference calls than New England's six, per nflpenalties.com.

LOL, Tomase is the literal definition of a soy-boy. He's an insufferable self-hating closet fag. I'd rather listen to Gerry Callahan than John Tomase.

I like the 2-tier pass interference system idea. I don't watch a ton of basketball so I can't remember the exact name, but they have that clean break foul where they'll just give the player automatic points without even having to shoot. You could basically have the same thing. 10 yards for incidental PI, spot foul plus automatic first for blatant.

>Remove on-field referees
>Take authority away from sideline referees
>Have everything reviewed real-time from team in booth watching multiple camera angles
>Require the umpire to be fully removed from the field before the ball can be snapped; Sideline refs alternate who is the umpire on a per play basis to help with fatigue. Both game and play clock stop between the moment the umpire lays the ball down and the moment he is off the field, train clock operators accordingly. This gives booth team a small window of time to quickly review and call down to the sideline refs that a penalty has occurred.
>This also eliminates the no-huddle, allowing for full substitutions and returns the game's style to play-calling and in-motion, rewarding the teams with the smartest players and coaches, and the deepest benches.
>Sideline refs may still throw a flag indicating that they saw a penalty, stopping play to allow booth team to look (It should be noted that the amount of time that play stops shouldn't be any different from how long play stops with flags currently, so its not like I'm advocating longer breaks in play). Booth team must confirm penalty, inconclusive is a no-flag, though the refs opinion will hold weight in situations where its razor-thing close.

Also, and this is a separate peeve, eliminate fucking automatic first down. X yards and a replayed down is already a huge boon, automatic first down literally only exists for rigging purposes

> giving a shit about the writer
> not giving a shit about what's written

Are you a woman, perchance?

>thinking the writer doesn't color everything he writes with his dogshit opinions
Are you black, perchance?

> No team converted more first downs via penalties (50) than the Patriots.
> No team recorded more automatic first downs (43).
> No team gained more yards on defensive pass interference (355).
> Only four clubs drew more PI calls than the Pats' 14.
> no team allowed fewer first downs by penalty (23),
> only two were flagged for fewer defensive pass interference calls than New England's six,
> per nflpenalties.com.

I guess you are a woman, because I don’t see how one can “color” math.

>Remove on-field referees

Retarded. A camera isn’t a replacement for a pair of eyes.

>Have everything reviewed real-time from team in booth watching multiple camera angles

I’ll agree ALL calls should be reviewed and ALL should be open to challenges.

My plan allows sideline refs to make eye-calls. I'll compromise on refs way back in the defensive backfield but I'm adamant that the modern game doesn't need an umpire sitting in the middle of the fucking play.

How is a defender supposed to defend the pass if they can't even make contact with the receiver? What can they possibly do?

It's so they can rig games, what are you, new?

Also of note, how many touchdowns were overturned against the Patriots upon review? It seemed like there were three weeks in a row where a touchdown was overturned because the ball moved slightly when the player hit the ground, yet the Patriots won a game on a very similar catch. I don't know if it's some conspiracy, but they do seem to get the benefit of the doubt more often than not on close plays.

They can make contact if they look back and are playing the ball. If they just watch the receiver and start mugging him because his body position suggests he's getting ready to catch it's a foul.

The later is how the patriots won their early super bowls. Then Peyton whined to the league about it kicking off the pass happy era you see today.

forget that, why is close-lining a penalty