/lang/ - Language Learning General

How are you preparing for the Catalan Century? Edition

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Learning resources
Check """pastebin.com/ACEmVqua""" for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides.
/lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages:
Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#

barcelonin catalan is disgusting

ask a valencian spekaer something

>Implying Catalonian is a full fledged language
>Implying it has any bearing on any other languages in the world
>Implying it can be spoken anywhere outside a small corner in a map

At least Basque is somewhat unique.

¿Cuál es la diferencía?

Valencians have a more "spanish" accent. Doesn't sound as if they are forcing every possible phoneme out of the Spanish phonologic chart.
Basically, it's easier to understand if you have a working knowledge of Spanish.

accent /phoenetics
verb conjugation in some cases
some vocabulary

kind of argentine/castilian

Had a nice convo with a Japanese twitch streamer, he was speaking I was typing, went pretty well.

¿Pueden comprender los hablantes de español el idioma catalán?

partially

What languages are you all learning?

Anyone learning schwyzertüütsch here?
Anyone?

Please I'm so lonely ;_;

>schwyzertüütsch
What the hell is this monstrosity

I've been picking it up for years but still too insecure to use it in public ;~;

schwyzertüütsch -> schweitzerdeutsch -> swiss german
You're damn right when you call it a monstrosity though.

>years
RIP me then. How have you been doing it?

Trying to learn french. I am basically at the stage where I am deciding on which resources to use and in which order.

I will start with the FSI Phonology course starting tomorrow and start doing Duolingo classes.

Good luck user, keep us posted.
Why are you learning French?

Well I just wanted to learn a third language. I have failed at several things over the past few years, so self esteem is at an all time low.

So I went through the "learning how to learn course" by Barbara Oakley on coursera and it inspired me to learn another language(especially since she said said that research shows people who learn multiple languages have lesser chance of getting dementia at old age)

So I feel like learning another language will give me a sense accomplishment. Anyway my initial choices were French or Japanese but choice French because of relative ease.

Duolingo is alright but it won't take you far beyond the very basics. What I recommend is trying to immerse yourself as much as possible, you could start with one of those sentence-reading methods like Glossika, then move on to reading news and stuff, watching captioned French videos on Youtube (Norman fait des vidéos, cyprien, joueur du grenier, etc, all of them have French captions available). When you comfortably understand those you can move on to YA literature and stuff like shows, France produces a lot of cartoons and the ones aimed at children usually have clear enunciation and easy to understand language.

Bonne chance.

I have also planned doing these courses as well.

>FSI Phonology and Basic French
>Paul Noble french course + Michel Thomas advanced+ Michel Thomas vocab + Michel Thomas builder.
>Every French Assimil course in the torrent links in this thread.

I plan on spending 3 to 3.5 hours per day on french

How should I structure my learning and in which order should I learn these courses? All know is that the FSI phonology course should come first.

Also lingvist and Coffee break French were also recommended to me on reddit and I want to use Glossika like you've said as well.

To be honest I want to go through all of these things but I can spend only 3 to 3.5 hours per day. If anyone can help me make schedule and order these things it would be helpful.

Is Glossika any good for French? I heard it's not as good for European languages

Phonology is a good starting point, yeah, but try not to spend too much time stuck trying to sound perfect. French phonology is a bit weird and it'll take a while before you don't sound terrible. Which is something you can work on while learning vocab.

Also those methods you mentioned seem alright, as long as you're learning more sentences than words in isolation you should be good.
Lingvist and Glossika are all about reading sentences, either of them will cover the same kind of stuff, there's no real order to learn one or the other, in fact doing both might be unnecessary.

btw we have a /lang/ Discord with a lot of French natives that could help you if you're interested: discord.gg/9EMAAef
It's alright, but maybe more mature methods like Assimil are better, I'm really not sure as I have not tried most of them.

I will join the discord once I go through a couple of these courses

Learning Turkish at the moment, lots of fun with it so far. It's a lovely sounding language once you get past that initial 'alien' sounding barrier of all foreign languages.

Mostly just eavesdropping everywhere and talking to myself when alone. TV programs with High German subtitles are nice too. Took a beginner's course at Migros once but it didn't seem to help much, especially with the teacher speaking a different dialect than the locals.

Alright my man, best of luck to you. Most of us in the Discord are complete beginners in our target langs though, so don't worry too much about that.

Godspeed.

Thanks and Thanks for the advice as well.

nice triple double double get
I'm also learning French, but have put it off for a while now for some reason. I really need to get back at it again.

Nice dubs for you as well , checked.

>eavesdropping everywhere
I try to do this but it mostly just feels in vain

>talking to myself when alone
#relatable, I'll try and throw in whatever swiss german I know when I do this with high german

>TV programs with High German subtitles
Where are these? Just on TV?

>Migros Course
I need to look more carefully into this, because I'd love to take one of these but since i'm working like 9-6 idk if it's offered at a time that i could participate :c

Japanese or Korean? I already know Italian, and I want to learn something that's more "oriental."

Whichever one your autism draws you to

I literally had to stop myself from telling you Japanese, simply because that's what MY autism told me you should learn. Learn to tap into your own damn autism and stop using mine.

Japanese would probably be more useful? Bigger Japanese influence on the west than Korean. But other than that it's really just whatever floats your boat. I personally wouldn't care about that.

Unless you have a deep interest Korean pop culture like K-drama,K-pop ot plastic surgery Japanese will always be the right answer.

Fat arsed Korean grills > Jap grills, my dude. It's a tough one, but Korea wins this round. Learn their language.