Why do Germans love compound words so much? Why do you have to call it an "underseaboat"...

Why do Germans love compound words so much? Why do you have to call it an "underseaboat"? Just put some roots together and make a new word like submarine. I was just researching linguistics and apparently the word for linguist in German is "Sprachwissenschaftler" literally speechknowledgecraft. This is too much, do Germans lack the intellectual capacity to memorize new words or something?

It's a standard feature of Germanic languages. The question is why English doesn't retain it in the same degree.

>inb4 dubmfucks claiming english isn't germanic

We have many compound words too, but Germans and other Germanics take it to another level.
English is great because we've actually realized that if we add some Latin roots to our Germanic ones we'll be able to make shorter, more utilitarian words.

Submarine is literally the same, you just dropped the boat part and even then people abbreviate Unterseeboot in just U-boot.

May I ask you if you are mentally challenged?

That's what I meant, we used latin/germanic/celtic roots to make shorter words and make our language more eclectic.
> even then people abbreviate Unterseeboot in just U-boot.
proving my point further, too many compound words make for cumbersome sentences, leading to people having to abbreviate your senseless words.
>May I ask you if you are mentally challenged?
You may.

The difference is frequently no more than whether or not there are spaces between the base words. Either you have long words or you have more words. Not to mention that most other Germanic language are nowhere near as bad as German when it comes to long words. Swedish, for instance, is almost identical to English in regards to average word length but still manage to make use of [sometimes quite long] compound words.

>Let's use loanwords to make things shorter
That may work for cuck languages such as English, but would be just a mess in German. There are actually a lot of useless french loanwords in German and they're atrocious to my ears, but that's my opinion, but in general germanic words are regarded as better as it should be.

I however agree with you that some compounds should be substituted with other words, but I don't think Unterseeboot is among them.

Handschuhe (glove, literally hand-shoe) would be one of them.

It's called Fachbegriff which are better for writing and info texts.
Also everyone uses a short version of these words when speaking IRL.

>The difference is frequently no more than whether or not there are spaces between the base words
Yeah, this is immediately evident if you ever read a list of construction tools("construction tools" itself sounds like something that could be a compound word, like it is in German in which it is "buldingstuff" or Bauwerkzeug) in English:
Head pan
Masonry towl
Measuring tape
Wheel barrow
Concrete mixer
Rubber boots
Safety glass
Crow Bar
Circular saw
hand saw
etc etc etc.
You could do the same with mathematical theories and many other things. I'd imagine all of these words don't have spaces inbetween them in other Germanic languages or German, and this is also probably why the largest dictionary in the world belongs to swedish followed by a bunch of germanic languages.
>Also everyone uses a short version of these words when speaking IRL.
Oh didn't know that, but again that begs the question, why not just create shorter words using other roots.
>cuck
idk, I don't like linguistic purity people, Anglish and other movements of the sort are really stupid if you ask me.

>Handschuhe
Why..? It's not there to make sense to foreigners.

>why are languages different, I don't like it
t. can only speak ugly language with no rules

Because it's too long for such a basic item, duh.

"Linguist" is also used in German.

In Swiss German they are called händsche.

Once again, English is closer to French than it is to Germanic languages.

Literally the same.

Assez avec ce meme, Pierre.

Which do people use in everyday conversation? Linguist is clearly an English loan word so I assume it must be a fairly recent addition to the language.

nah famalam, grammar and sentence structure and common vocabulary are much more important than vocabulary in gerneral. Yeah we have a ton of latin orgin words but our grammar is still entirely Germanic which is why it's so easy for other Germanics to learn.

>Literally the same.
No, it has 2 syllables instead of 3.
We also have had this word since the 16th century. In Switzerland at least linguist is used more often. If someone asks what a linguist does then the explanation will probably contain sprachwissenschaftler because the word describes the work of the linguist.

I find it rather logical that whatever word or words are used to describe something be contained within a single unit and not as separate parts that likely make no sense on their own in respect to what was actually intended.

Vocabulary size is largely irrelevant in languages that make heavy use of compound words.

Could be French, as most of the loanwords are.
It's not that recent, it's used since the XVI apparently. From my experience "Sprachwissenschaftler" is more formal and I hear it more often compared to Linguist, but that may depend from the area.

>No, it has 2 syllables instead of 3.
Yes but the concept is the same, and pronouncing "Händsche" while speaking in Hochdeutsch sounds terrible to me, that final sche just doesn't work

>my experiance
Are you from that one area of Italy that speaks German or something?

Why to be recent in french we use language from lingua , you should have this word from our colonisation

I speak 3 languages you brainlet, delete this.

In french it's "linguiste", clearly not related.

>2 vowels
>long
it's also handschoen in Dutch by the way

It's three vowels in plural

oh no the humanity

>Also everyone uses a short version of these words when speaking IRL
that is a bit annoying if you are trying to learn the language.

We use a derivative of handschoen in Scandi languages (han(d)ske). English is the odd one out here.

In Swiss German the singular and plural are händsche.
Still not a fan of händsche?