What are some good Frankenstein movies that aren't just monster schlock but actually tonally match the book?

What are some good Frankenstein movies that aren't just monster schlock but actually tonally match the book?

the original one is the best I've heard

Ken Branagh's one

I watched that and it's really overrated. They cut out some of the best character moments for the monster and as far as I can remember never had the monster stalking Frankenstein

Young Frankenstein

Thanks m8 this one looks good

I find it incredible that the book has never received an accurate adaptation after all years despite the capability being there. It's not like its an impossible book to adapt, but for some reason everyone either misrepresents the source materials or disregards it when a Frankenstein film is made, and they often take more inspiration from the 1920s(?) film than the book.

Yeah, it's really a shame. The book is so much better than the "classic" movie. They're practically two completely different stories

Penny dreadful only good portrayal.

Have not read original book nor do I ever plan to.

>i am 13 years old and QUITE the literature buff!

I probably read this book when I was 13, but I'm 28 now fag

The book is dog shit senpai

Wow, what a unique free-thinker you are avoiding classic books like that.

>read modern book and enjoy it
>"heh, you fucking manchild, literature used to be good but now its dead"
>read ONE classic, universally praised book from 19th century
>heh, you fedora tipping retard, bet you think you're a literature buff and an intellectual! *posts on Sup Forums about the jews controlling media*

the monster did stalk frankenstein in the original for revenge iirc

>Mediocre story written by a woman is actually immortalized by the hard work and talent of men over a century later

This is some WE WUZ behavior right here. Stop trying to ride off the coattails of other, superior men.

>Sup Forums is so fucking braindead that when someone makes a post requiring even the slightest iota of intellect to make, retards sperg out
Really been noticing this trend recently. Someone nuke this board already.

Frankenstein is no classic and Marty Shelley was a fucking hack and you know it.

have you actually read the book? it's fucking garbage. one of the absolute worst "classics". the bitch cant write to save her life. doesnt matter how old she was.

It's my favorite book, or at least one of them. I thought it was great and it was a major influence on me

>It's my favorite book, or at least one of them. I thought it was great and it was a major influence on me
wtf lmao

what did you like about it

None

The actual Frankenstein portrays the monster sympathetically and more of a product of its environment and ill-treatment by society, and Victor as an impulsive scientist who got too excited about his work and made a horrible mistake

Most depictions show the monster being a monster and the scientist being a crazy guy, the original book was more gray than that

This is also not including all of the Romantic elements in the book too, like all of the nature scenes contrasting with Victor's scientific work, or the more emotional and humanitarian Clerval with the more logical Victor, or the fact that the whole story is actually being told to Captain Walton, etc.

>this delusion
Nice dubs though

>I just wrote a college essay on the book

>community college retard thinks high school level analysis is college worthy

>I can't understand basic elements about a book that is literally hundreds of years old

I like the interplay between Frankenstein and the Monster, especially the scene with the window. The wrapper for the story is also really cool

>Most depictions show the monster being a monster
Yeah, that's the sort of thing I'd like to see avoided in an adaptation. The monster in the original was a much better character since it had wants and needs and actually reasoned

I've heard this is based on Frankenstein. True?

>I like the interplay between Frankenstein and the Monster, especially the scene with the window. The wrapper for the story is also really cool
oh, you mean that boring as fuck "dae no free will outsider" middle school tier schlock? its sooooo fucking vanilla and it takes dozens of pages to amount to maybe a paragraph of decent material.

uh.. no I mean this scene with the window
>I trembled, and my heart failed within me; when, on looking up, I saw, by the light of the moon, the daemon at the casement. A ghastly grin wrinkled his lips as he gazed on me, where I sat fulfilling the task which he had allotted to me. Yes, he had followed me in my travels; he had loitered in forests, hid himself in caves, or taken refuge in wide and desert heaths; and he now came to mark my progress, and claim the fulfilment of my promise.
>As I looked on him, his countenance expressed the utmost extent of malice and treachery. I thought with a sensation of madness on my promise of creating another like to him, and trembling with passion, tore to pieces the thing on which I was engaged. The wretch saw me destroy the creature on whose future existence he depended for happiness, and, with a howl of devilish despair and revenge, withdrew.

I wouldn't be surprised. A shitton of sci-fi in general is heavily influenced by Frankenstein. It's where the whole "guy does a scientific experiment, things go horribly wrong" story originated.

The "X" Files.

Someone already mentioned it but Branagh's adaptation is what you're looking for. DeNiro plays the creature as some kind of sad Elephant Man

I'll check it out. Don't like DeNiro, but I'll take what I can get I guess

Did anybody else see this movie? It was actually pretty enjoyable, although the Frankenstein design was lame it was entertaining and funny otherwise. Saw it in theatres too.

Tonally Accurate M8

I Frankenstein

nobody saw it max

>nobody saw it max
Who's max, and yes, I did see it.

Max Landis is the fag who wrote it. He posts here

It's fun.

Penny dreadful is a pretty good modern take on it and not just monster schlock.

Oh that guy, he always struck me as a fag, and his dad killed two Chinese kids and Jennifer Jason Leigh's dad, so fuck him. I don't believe the son inherits the sins of the father, but he's Jewish, so that's their playbook.

my kind of monster