How do we make MMORPGs great again?

How do we make MMORPGs great again?

Classic is fine, sure. But is it a true MMORPG? No, it's too casual. Why can't developers understand that the easier you make your game, the more it sucks in the long run?

Wouldn't it be fun to have a MMORPG without a map again?

Attached: 1570459572390.jpg (1920x1080, 1.47M)

Idk I just think that type of game and gameplay is culturally unpopular

I love Everquest, tried to go back to classic which was even casual for the time and it felt boring to me

That's just D&D

It's Everquest.

>Wouldn't it be fun to have a MMORPG without a map again?
No, how would that be fun? It would just mean EVERYBODY would have to get the map addon.

You probably already know this but project 1999 is launching a new classic eq server at the end of the month.

Games aren’t the problem G, the gaming communities are

You’ve got streamers, speed runners, little rich nerds at every corner of every game

Conan path of exile and some others have tried to provide a setting in wich the players can write the events. but its the players that ruin MMOs not the MMOs themselves. Even WoW had some fun times back in vanilla but ppl are to fixated on endgame content and gear scores and all that twitch streamer garbadge.
RPGs on paper or the Computer take time and effort. Zoomies are not willing to invest either

They were always shit.

MMORPGs are made to consume as much as your time as possible while releasing hits if dopamine to make you feel like you're doing something.

Go outside and play the MMORPG of life.

So don't allow addons and ban literally anyone trying to mod the game

i miss when everquest was good. i am subbed to it right now but it's shit. nobody to group with, only lots of groups of BOTS all over the game. bots are keeping the lights on right now for sure.

Literally everyone is playing classic right now. Even the streams that said they would never touch it because it will suck, are all playing it all day long.

What makes games good? If it isn't dungeons
Not being a cartographer is too "casual" for you?

I know what you mean bro. I play classic eq still but it's not the same. I miss having to explore the world. Now I know how the game works and where everything is. It's still fun but it lacks the mystery. I remember back in the day getting tells from people inviting me to groups and I had no idea where they were. Spending time with other players showing each other good xp camps and stuff was great fun.

Plus eq had all sorts of hidden spots and walls you could walk through. I remember seeing somebody travel down into the qeynos sewers and I was amazed. I wandered around those sewers and eventually got killed by the evil guilds down there. Shit was amazing.

>Not being a cartographer is too "casual" for you?
Yes. Imagine how huge the world feels if you actually have to draw your own map and buy your own compass to even get somewhere. The game immediately feels huge and you develop a proper respect to it. Any QoL addition just makes it worse, and worse, until you're basically playing a walking simulator

the community.
Take City of Heroes for example. Bare bones Content to mindlessly grind but if you got into your character you would experience the best Supers MMO to date.
MMOs are mostly played solo nowadays. you just group if you wanna do a dungeon/ a hard quest or endgame. A good MMO lets you pick your path and own goals. If everyones goal is either top PVP rank or top PVE rank its super linear and booring

yea i don't doubt it but it's still a shame. i played wow beta/release too, but had 0 interest in classic. while i did like vanilla wow quite a bit, it was never as magical as everquest for me.

Agree, Wow is too normie these days, where's the challenge..

Lol, fucking nerd. A game regardless of what it is will always be a game. Some people like them, some don’t. Don’t go feeding BS pseudoscience that hasn’t even been researched properly to people.

I think it's because of game availability and new games that people jump on.
All my friends on discord always buy and play the new game for a few months. Right now it's wow classic. before that it was red dead 2. Before that it was destiny 2, before that it was overwatch or something.

WoW was so great, because if you look at games of the era. It was so immersive, detailed and easy to learn hard to master. The other most important thing was, everyone played it. >What do you play? WoW or Halo.
That was the majority of people back then.
New games come out every day, so if something is to hard. people just play something else. Then they get bored in a few weeks anyway.

Guild Wars 2 is fun.

Agreed. Sunk way too much time into GW2