I have $45k. Why shouldn't I convert a van and live anywhere I want?

I have $45k. Why shouldn't I convert a van and live anywhere I want?

Attached: zenvanz1.0.jpg (1200x800, 126K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EMiYqvGzvkI
youtube.com/watch?v=wksm1xI1Ms0
rvtrader.com/listing/2007-Coachmen-FREELANDER-3150SS-5009861758
landwatch.com/North-Carolina-Land-for-sale/pid/352023486
landwatch.com/North-Carolina-Homesite-for-sale/pid/352021949
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

kys Gypsy

where you gonna shit bro?

Could be fun and fulfilling. I took a spare van from my business fleet and made it livable.
I actually enjoy it, when I travel it's somehow rewarding. Not sure how I'd feel about living in it permanently, but it's all about whatever you like for your damned self.

I've struggled with this question for awhile. I hear composting toilets aren't as bad as they sound, but I 100% prefer a flushing system.

He can go to any gas station, taco bell, mcdonalds, or store he wants.

In a bucket.

In your yard

Attached: image.jpg (750x906, 137K)

Could be fun. You should buy some land to park it on also, maybe start building on it, farming. Also you could dig a hole to shit in.

kino. Did you do this in the US?

why not? do it. You can get vans pretty cheap in autumn/fall when all the European backpackers are flying out of the country and desperate to sell for cheap. Can usually pick up a van for $3k, or $5k if you get a nicer one in better condition.

vanlifers usually just get a $20/month gym membership for shitting and for showers.
also you can get small chemical camp toilets from the hardware store for pretty cheap, handy in an emergency, if you get the runs or if you have to take a shit at midnight or whatever. some countries/states have laws that dictate that you have to have one in your van to be allowed to sleep in it.
or like says there are plenty of free places in cities and towns to shit.
if you're innawoods just shit like you would when you're out camping, just make sure you do it off the trail and to bury it.

Attached: 1548162677078.jpg (576x768, 77K)

No room for Fresh, Gray, and Black Water tanks. If you can convert a van, you can repair and upgrade a $30k RV and be in better shape.

>gypsy
like 80% of people living in Vans are rock climbers, surfers or snowboarders who just want to sleep closer to their /out/ activities. the rest are just hippies or "real travelers" who wanna save money by not having to sleep in a hostel all the time.
and that's not even counting the large majority of van/RV cunts who are 70+ year old retirees who sold their house and are doing their trip around America/Australia/Canada

Attached: 1566772848326.jpg (750x500, 423K)

> You can get vans pretty cheap in autumn/fall
Literally found 2016 a tall sprinter on craigslist today for 6k. I could do the conversion for

Man that pic looks cozy af
Someday I'll live the van life care free no rent just gas and maintenance insurance

>fresh
10L tank above the sink, so you can gravity feed it down to the tap.
>grey
10L tank below the sink
>black
most vans dont have a flushing toilet in em, or they just a portable chemical one from the hardware store or they just shit in a bucket.
then there's plenty of disposal drop-off points for that.
you're not gunna be holding more than a day's worth of shit n piss at any one time, and even then it'll be rare.

nice, that's a good price for a Sprinter. You wont need $10k for a conversion. Most conversions'll only set you back $1k unless you're an absolute mouthbreather or you go totally apeshit on things you dont need.
youtube.com/watch?v=EMiYqvGzvkI
under $1k budget build
youtube.com/watch?v=wksm1xI1Ms0
his best build, even then only set him back like $1200. he put in enough solar and batteries to run a fridge but ended up never actually buying a fridge.
dont waste your money on shit like a microwave, juicer and other bullshit.

Attached: 1558951000839.jpg (2500x1667, 921K)

ITT: faggots

>wanting to pay off a $1mil mortgage to Mr Shecklestein for the next 40 years of your life
>unable to move, travel or just drop everything and go out bush
>stuck in the same town, same house, same job all day every day for decades
>when you can just drop $5k in a van and fuck off into the ether living off of a couple hundred a month.

Attached: 1563494809806.jpg (1024x683, 85K)

Attached: 1566477272194.jpg (1000x636, 152K)

Attached: 1558212951257.jpg (1080x1350, 254K)

Where would you dump the compost though? You'd have to drive to the woods every single day and then cops are going to think you're dumping a body lol

there's literally free drop-off points and disposal places everywhere. look at apps like Campermate; shows you free places to park, paid campsites/trailer parks and disposal points.

Attached: 1551128967599.jpg (564x564, 93K)

>$45k
Just buy a fucking RV you hipster fuck. They're better than anything you'll build in a van.

Is $45k US seriously the going price for a van conversion, guess if you wanted to live in it 'permanently'? Otherwise I'd just buy a reliable van throw a mattress, a cooker and my /out/s in and use the remaining $ to travel more.

Build a storage container home, 10k + cost of land (20k) for 2-5 acres far but close with wildlife, insulate and drill well (7k)
7k left for what you deen neccessary, electricity, sewage, water, built roads would cost more over all. Live wild.

Because it’s too small. Get something bigger

What kind of retard lives in a van? Buy a house like a normal functioning member of society, you fucking illiterates.

>Why shouldn't I convert a van and live anywhere I want?
because you could buy some cheap land to farm on instead.

>Otherwise I'd just buy a reliable van throw a mattress, a cooker and my /out/s in and use the remaining $ to travel more
this, a lot of people over-think it.
they think they still need shit like microwaves, a shower with a hot water system and a flushing toilet.
mate of mine used to build/renovate campervans for people as a job and he used to get all sorts of ridiculous requests from either rich people with more money than sense, or people with no fucking idea.

a lot of states/countries/countys/councils dont let you live in a storage container. also it sounds like OP wants to travel around and isn't interested in settling down.

i've lived in apartments about the same size as the inside of a van. honestly once you throw away shit you dont need and downsize your belongings you dont actually need that much space.
van living's more intended for people who travel or do /out/ shit anyway. if you're a snowboarder it means you can get changed into/out of your ski gear right at the place. for rock climbers, surfers and hikers it means you can park/camp/sleep right where the action is. point of them is to be spending time outside doing shit.

>angry /out/ conservative who shitposts in every van thread finally shows up
hey dude, sup.

>cheap land
>cheap
>land
i mean you can get plots out in the desert for cheap with no road access or utilities....

Attached: 1541202966127.jpg (1024x768, 116K)

Invest your shekels into property goyim we promise not to crash the market again

>OP wants to travel around and isn't interested in settling down.
This guy gets it. I can't really see myself living in one place for more than 5~ years, barely 1 year.

Not that it would cost $45k, just that I have some saved up to use for a van, conversion, living expenses for awhile

rvtrader.com/listing/2007-Coachmen-FREELANDER-3150SS-5009861758

>living expenses
yeah you're smart and planning ahead.
i say budget 1/4 of that money for a van & conversion. even with a barebones van a conversion shouldn't cost more than $1~2k unless you go full retard on shit like solar, installing a shower or other fancy shit.

My advice,
go with a small gas bottle cooker,
invest in a really good quality esky/cooler/chillybin or whatever you call it. Filled with ice it'll keep food cold for most of a week as long as you dont go opening it every 10 minutes.
You can charge your phone off your vehicle, but you could also get a small portable solar setup to charge it properly, could even charge a laptop too if you get a fancy enough one.
You can even get small wind turbines too for the same purpose.
Ultimately you dont need to keep that much food cold. Get UHT milk instead of normal milk, get organic/farm eggs so you can leave them out, a lot of veggies and fruit are good for weeks left out (potatoes, carrots, onions). Really you only need a cooler for fresh meat and for beer.

Biggest thing is climate. Being nomadic you can straight up just avoid the shit climate depending on time of year. I knew a bloke who used to drive up to Alaska in the summer and work 5 months on the fishing boats to save up fat stacks of money. Then he'd drive south before the snow and spend the rest of the year on a beach in Baja California or somewhere.
If you plan on vanlife somewhere with snow you'll need to put extra effort into your insulation, waterproofing (condensation inside the van can quickly destroy the vehicle/build) and heating. Some people get wood stoves put in, gas heaters are pretty common too but you'll have to get a Carbon Monoxide detector n shit put in for your own safety.

Overall, I've heard varying figures on monthly costs but generally I've heard people living in a van spending only $500~1.5k/month, mostly just depending how much they've spent on fuel.

>Not that it would cost $45k

Are you planing to get a pre-owned van? They are fucking expensive especially if you want 4wd, diesel and tall ceiling. A friend just spent $68k on a work van sprinter

Yeah, preowned likely. Found some seemingly good deals on craigslist.

pt.2
>how do I shit?
public toilets, gas station, taco bell, mcdonalds etc. Gym memberships are useful too. If innawoods can shit out there like if you were camping. Might be worth dropping $80 in a portable camping toilet, or you can Mcgyver yourself a sealable bucket situation for those midnight shits.

>how do I shower?
a few options
>Gym membership
>camping shower
(ie: hang a bag from a tree, pour in warm water). Can buy them or just make your own out of a bag.
>black PVC pipe/tube on the roof of your van.
fill with water. sun heats it through the day. Can attach a showerhead to it if you want to be fancy. Best part too is it makes your van look like a plumbers/electrician/work van, so you can park a bit stealthier.
>lakes/rivers
not the best but ok in a pinch

>where do I park?
if you're in the US you can park at any Walmart for up to 3 nights.
in the US you can park up to 2 weeks in any BLM land or whatever you guys call it.
in Canada and Australia you can camp up to 2 weeks free on any crown land.
Canada and Australia both have so much remote land that honestly you can park basically anywhere. Just dont settle down into any one spot too long.
Also install the Campermate app and other similar apps. It'll show you all the free places to camp, paid sites and places you can dump your grey/black water and refill your tanks.

Attached: 1542387480590.jpg (750x937, 228K)

It's what we call being 'homeless.'
You're trash and a blight on productive society.
Unless you're retired and have retirement income and are out to see the world.

Fool me once shame on jew. Fool me twice... Well, you're not gonna fool twice.

>i mean you can get plots out in the desert for cheap with no road access or utilities....
I clicked on one of the first search results.
landwatch.com/North-Carolina-Land-for-sale/pid/352023486
landwatch.com/North-Carolina-Homesite-for-sale/pid/352021949
Are you technologically illiterate? Is that why you want to run away from society in your little metal bubble on wheels?

>saved up $45k
>wants to travel
>wants a more portable option than staying in hotels and hostels
>sounds like he probably wants to park at trailheads so he can get an early start on some hikes n shit
>throwing a mattress in the back of a car makes him a homeless blight on productive society
fuck man, sounds like you've never taken a day off in your fucking life. here's your (You) though.

>everywhere in the world is North fucking Carolina
doesn't answer OPs question though.
if he wanted to settle down and build a home he wouldn't be making a thread about buying a van now, would he?

My fiance really wants to do this and travel full time but I'm a mechanical engineer and nervous about leaving my career to do a remote job . The idea of it sounds interesting but I get nervous about that shit. I like my space

>Invest your shekels into property goyim we promise not to crash the market again
>implying property is always a bad long term investment
Just hold onto it and rent and/or farm some of the space, don't be a dummy and expect it to hold its value without any work.

>(you)
Work hard goyim, pay your taxes goyim, keep your head down goyim, consume more goyim. imagine being jew cattle until you die. Truly a wretched life

Its not but the suburban paneled shitbox most lards live in is

if your resume is solid no actual employer gives a shit about any gaps.
also you can always explain it away with something like "my dad got cancer so I quit working to spend more time with him before he died" or something.
hell you could straight up just talk to your boss. most of the time they're happy to give you a couple of years off and just re-hire you later. that's what i did. i spent 2 years backpacking in Canada for the hell of it and when I wanted my old job back it was just a matter of e-mailing them 3-4 months before I wanted to come back. they just laid off whatever shitty worker they'd hired to replace me and I continued off as if I never left.

Standard edgy way way of saying, "let me live off your work."
Parasite.

> Waiting until your feeble and wasted before stepping out of your cage
Do Americans really?

Carbon monoxide

>>everywhere in the world is North fucking Carolina
he's already willing to travel, he could get the cheapest plot and spend the rest on building a fucking log cabin or some shit.
>if he wanted to settle down and build a home he wouldn't be making a thread about buying a van now, would he?
To me it seems like he's trying to fix a broken arm with a band-aid. There's something else internally that he doesn't want to deal with but being alone in a log cabin away from the shit of society would help him do so.
anyway, your opinion on the land isn't important here, only OPs opinion on it is, since it's his thread about finding something or some place to call his own.

Ahh yes all those neetbux I'm not getting? Imagine being so deprived of meaning you think your mundane slavery is a virtue.

>if he wanted to settle down and build a home he wouldn't be making a thread about buying a van now, would he?
he is interested, that's why he posted
">cheap land
>cheap
>land
>i mean you can get plots out in the desert for cheap with no road access or utilities.... "
Because he considers it to be an option but doesn't know where to look.
Basic deductive skills, my dear Watson.

>It's what we call being 'homeless.'
>You're trash and a blight on productive society.
>Unless you're retired and have retirement income and are out to see the world.
Fuck off boot licker.

Need the cassette toilet. Just dump a tiny tank into any bathroom every week or so.

I just don't get this nomadic lifestyle. I can't help but stay where I am for fear of losing the social ties I have. Good on those for leaving things behind and seeing the world.

Soo he...was behind that...

Attached: 4301570616131072.jpg (1534x1112, 93K)