Three Kingdoms

What does Sup Forums think of Three Kingdoms?

>wei, wu, or shu?

Besides the shit fight scenes, is it truly a kino series from China?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8HwqLI9VYG8
youtube.com/watch?v=3kkjnGlkEdw&list=PL33A390995E9A7F00&index=21
youtube.com/watch?v=qvgvcgEZ6_k&index=45&list=PL33A390995E9A7F00
youtube.com/watch?v=sRH5s4Z3jn8&list=PL33A390995E9A7F00&index=96
youtube.com/watch?v=l8e4LBSscVo&list=PL33A390995E9A7F00&index=30
the-archlich.tumblr.com/character_analysis
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

/lit/

Cao cao is my husbando.

Sad that I won't get to experience watching it for the first time again

this is one of the greatest grand strategy historical series to be on television, the main characters are all amazing, the battles and backstabs huge, only other show that comes close(or even surpasses it IMO) is HBO Rome

I watched it for a while, I stopped soon after Cao Cao kills the entire house because they think they're trying to sell him out, that was funny as fuck but in general I didn't find it very interesting.

Classic Cao Cao

Where the fuck can you download this from?

Avistaz has them all, you just missed an open registration, they have them every few weeks though.

please post webm of liu bei's benevolence towards his son

SHU FOR LIFE
MUCH ADOU ABOUT NOTHING

Any public tracker has it, check nyaa.se

never mind i have it

My Chinese friend says the 1995 version is better.

Is he right Sup Forums?

who wins 1v1 Guan Yu or Lu Bu ?

Cao Cao is the best part.

I would like to know as well.

guan yu

youtube.com/watch?v=8HwqLI9VYG8

Couldn't watch it past Zhang Fei's assassination, too many feels hit home.

All I can say is that a chiense friend of mine also said it's better, but Chinese are history autists and I think it is a little more accurate to the material and follows Liu Bei a lot less.

I never completely finished either, but got around 30-40 episodes into them.

Obviously, 2010 wins in production, which in '95 is the typical chink series you'd expect it to be with sometimes styrofoam looking castles/walls, and acting, because Chen Jianbin as Cao Cao is Ciaran Hinds as Caesar-tier.

But 2010 very much makes Cao Cao the lead, and tries to make Wei much more sympathetic than the novels did. Which I like, since it also makes MUH BENEVOLENCE seem more like a crafty, not entirely righteous leader.
But that's not how the novels really read, at all. '95 is a better representation of it from what I saw, but as a Shu hater I really appreciated the change of pace of 2010 since Chinas avoided that shit like the plague until then because muh Han.

I'd give '95 a try. It might be too antiquated to get into for some, in which case go to 2010. And if you finish '95 or like it, you have another hundred some episodes of 2010 to get a new take on it.

In both shows, Lu Bu/Diao Chan's episodes fucking stink though. Such a drag. Feel free to skip them. Chinese drama romance is literally the worst, most shoehorned shit in the world.

>only 80ish episodes each actually
Fuck, I dropped both half way through. That bothers me.

Brock Lesnar among Men

this explains a lot

That's why he grew up retarded.

Don't bully Shan.

BAOOOOOOO

ZUMING

what happened?!

Dadudu!

i thought that was cocaine

Chen Gong did nothing wrong

In a lot of ways it is better but I think it's too dated for millennials, particularly the CGI
>pic related

niggas be fuckin' with my rice

Do they include the Nanman in this series?

Is Zhurong best girl, just like in DW?

how do you watch this and not get people mixed up or remember names

By liking it enough.

Seriously. The novels, the TV series, the games... Everyone has that problem at the start. You just get engaged enough to keep going, and you start working out whose who.

I've played Dynasty Warriors games for nearly 20 years, if you have an interest in it it's not any harder than remembering a period of history in other eras/areas of the world.

How do you not get the names in LoTR mixed up, or any historical? The characters are very different.

Wei of course, shu is just for brainwashing and muh benevolence bs. wu is irrelevant anyway

t. Zhuge Liang

Guan Yu was actually weak as fuck whereas Lu Bu was a legit badass.

>"Among men, Lu Bu. Among horses, Red Hare."

up to this fucking day i can still hear his Dynasty Warriors tune

>Implying
You don't have to be a Sleepy Dragon to be the most gangster strategist this side of Jing province.

>he hasn't played Dynasty Warriors / ROTK that he doesn't know their faces and names by heart

c'mon

Top three episodes Sup Forums?
For me

youtube.com/watch?v=3kkjnGlkEdw&list=PL33A390995E9A7F00&index=21

youtube.com/watch?v=qvgvcgEZ6_k&index=45&list=PL33A390995E9A7F00

youtube.com/watch?v=sRH5s4Z3jn8&list=PL33A390995E9A7F00&index=96

Oh God. I loved that game yet never understood it (being 7 years old). Wouldn't mind having a go at it now.

fuck off Zhuge Liang you suck

When I played DW and read the books I was for Wu. After watching this dude play Cao Cao I am for Wei.

>93 episodes

jesus. is this shit worth watching?

who /fuccboi/ here

Does anyone have a download of the full ost?
easily one of the best TV series ever made

There's a reason the Han dynasty fell. That reason is that the last people in it were incompetent retards.
Cao Cao may be a big-eared villain, but he's the man.

>"Fuck of Zhuge Liang"
>Posts that Pang Tong is better
>"F-fuck off Zhuge Liang"
Do I have to spell this one out for you, Sima Yi?

>Actually LOSES wisdom with age

How accurate.

indeed he is

The hell was this about?

Do you have an interest in Three Kingdoms related stuff? If yes, then definitely. You'll probably never be able to stomach the shitty animu style stories in the Dynasty Warriors games again though (assuming you even play them at all of course).

Hell yes. The show has keikaku coming out its ass.

Wait shit, I forgot about episode 27.
youtube.com/watch?v=l8e4LBSscVo&list=PL33A390995E9A7F00&index=30
You know what, forget it, most episodes are really good (some of the Shu and Wu only episodes do drag at times though).

shouldn't you be retreating now Zhuge Liang?

Whichever ethnic group that goes on to found Song.

I didn't for LOTR cause they all looked unique and different

the hobbit however, I forgot all the dwarfs and got them mixed up

Wait a second, is that you Meng Huo?

Hey remember when Yuan Shu declared himself emperor? He sure knew what he was doing.

*ping!

Outside of learning Chinese, is there anywhere I can learn about the actual history without the RotTK bias? Anyone know of any good books or even tv show/movies that stick closer to the history? I already know about the 95 version, which I intend to watch at some point.

Chen Shou's original Record of the Three Kingdoms, which later RotTK stuff is based on, is your best bet as it is everyone else's.
I see a lot of people pass around the-archlich.tumblr.com/character_analysis as a good source concerning figures but a) it only covers characters from the videogames and b) might have enough anti-Shu bias to go too far into the opposite direction.
>1995 version
Is much closer to RotTK in terms of Shu bias, you want 2010 if you want more to do with Cao Cao, Wei, and Liu Bei and pals being shady characters.

>Chen Shou's original Record of the Three Kingdoms, which later RotTK stuff is based on, is your best bet as it is everyone else's.
Thanks senpai, I'll have to look into this.
>Is much closer to RotTK in terms of Shu bias, you want 2010 if you want more to do with Cao Cao, Wei, and Liu Bei and pals being shady characters.
Well fuck, that's too bad, I may as well watch it anyway, it's not like I have anything better to do.

You ever hear of that Kongming website? It's kind of interesting, but I'm not sure how biased it is. I read it every once in a while, but I'm finding that Three Kingdom's information is much harder to find than what I had first assumed.

I haven't read much of Kongming's but it seems like as good a place as any to read up.
Like with archlich he denotes Chen Shou's work with SGZ, for Sanguozhi, so it's probably wise to look out for that.
I hope you have good luck in your search, because yeah, it's hard stuff to find and that's a real shame.

>China is at war again
>wars and bandits and famines everywhere
>be Shu, chill in the defensible basin with a self sustaining economy

>fucking Liu Bei and Zhuge Liang come to my town, conquer it and turn it into a military base against two other powers

Historically speaking, Cao Cao wasn't even a villain. At least, he wasn't any worse than the other warlords of the period. He was officially the last prime minister of the Han Dynasty and he fulfilled that role up until his death. He always had the opportunity to usurp the mandate of Heaven from the Han emperor, who he had in his custody as just a figurehead with no real authority, but he never did.

>2010 was 7 years ago

Makes me worried about how often can china make a great show.

The new Zhu Xian ain't so great either

good use of space

This freed up our guy Sun Ce to keep on conquerin', thank the heavens

Yeah, there's also that.
I think tumblr in general has pretty shit formatting but I don't know for sure.

read the 2 mangas Sangokushi and Ravages of Time and play Dynasty Warriors / ROTK

>Liu Bei is supposed to be the loveable hero because of bloodline and "muh virtue/honor"

>Chinese adore him, Westerners think he is a shrill self-righteous cuck

>Cao Cao is supposed to be the villain because he forgoes tradition and virtue for his ambition in tough times

>Westerners adore him, Chinese think he is literally the equivalent of the worst aspects of a person

Isn't the Three Kingdoms period heavily romanticised?

After playing the Dynasty Warriors games way back when I got really interested in it. Never watched this TV series though.

Zhang Liao was my husbando.

>and play Dynasty Warriors / ROTK
Oh believe me I have, I mainly got into Three Kingdoms stuff because of Dynasty Warriors 2 and 3. But obviously all of that is closer to RotTK, which takes a lot of liberties with certain events. It seems like it's very difficult to find anything that doesn't base its "history" on that book. I do enjoy manga though, so I may give those that you mentioned a look.

While that's true, the 2010 series at least showed that some Chinese are starting to see Cao Cao in a different light. I find it impossible to watch that show and not end up rooting for Cao Cao, and later on Sima Yi by the end of it. Then again, maybe I'm just viewing it from my evil Western barbarian point of view, it's possible that Chinese audiences hated 2010 Cao Cao, I'm not sure.

>Zhuge Liang tricks Sima Yi into attacking his supply base so Sima can take back the food Zhuge stole from him
>Allows Sima to win, but secretly drenches the food in oil, and plant explosives in the huts
>Shu army block the exits and traps the Wei army inside the camp
>Sets fire to it with arrows and ignites the explosives
>The entire Wei high command would have burned to death if not Heaven itself would have conjured up a freak rainstorm

chinaman friend told me that even after a lot of students learn the 'real' history, they still turn to Romance depictions of the era to pass their judgement.
i.e. all the Guan Yu the One Man Army bullshit, Cao Cao the devil, nothing wrong with baby-touchdown, etc.
he did say 2010 kind of started to sway people a little though, showing that it all really relies on all the games, shows, movies, books and whatnot they get based on 3K.

any chinkbros clarify?

Colacao-cao XDDXDxdxdXDXDXDx

H-he really killed 1000 people in one battle all by himself right guys?

everyone with a name did

In chinese culture good and evil isn't an absolute like heaven and hell, god and satan. They respect and admire Liu Bei and Cao Cao and appreciate that both climbed unbeleivably high because both had very high aspirations and strong characters. They don't think less of Cao Cao because they portray him as evil, since being misunderstood, feared and hated is part of his tragedy just as the honourable and loving nature of Liu Bei is tragic in the end.

I blame Confucianism. Liu Bei is a textbook Chinese gentleman who every chinaman strove to become. Liu Bei represents the whole "muh ancestors and fanatical loyalty" schtick that the Chinese admired for millenia.

It's also interesting to note that Cao Cao is a hell of a better father to his entire football team of kids than Liu Bei is to his only son. Cao Cao didn't give a damn about "the oldest son inherits everything" garbage that Liu Bei obsessed about. He planned to name his 8-year old son as heir because he was a literal genius, until he sadly died young. Cao Cao was a real leader, someone who practiced an unorthodox form (at the time) of meritocracy. Liu Bei was bound by tradition and could never move freely as a result, which is why he was in his fiftied before he actually accomplished anything, and even then he had to make do with a territory that was only a third the size of Cao Cao's domain.

>sadly
kek no, he just got outplayed by someone of actual talent

The love story is kind of lame but I find the 2010 adaptation did a good job of presenting Lu Bu as a man with flaws instead of a superhuman monster. I was surprised at how much I could relate to him at times. Unexpected but welcome.

I got about halfway through before I got bored. Might continue someday.

>in his fifties before he actually accomplished anything

Cao Cao was pretty old as well, but Liu Bei came from the rock bottom and had to deal with a lot of autistic nobles because he was tring to reinstate a han dynasty. Cao Cao just crushed everyone into submission since he had no legacy to honour.

historically speaking set in stone rules of hereditary inheritance work better, the Khans destroyed their entire empire on the basis of Genghis's meritocracy, almost every Empire in history has had some big inheritance happening, sons are notorious for fighting amongst one another for the right to rule everywhere in history which is why such seemingly senseless rules are needed

I can't read his stuff because the the formatting's so bad.

Zhao Ziling for life.

Lu Bu was always propaganda to scare the enemies of whoever he was currently fighting for by saying shit like he kills thousands of people each battle, is a master archer and has the fastest horse in the world.

In reality he was traitorous with no basis for his military exploits and in the end begged for his life before being executed by Cao Cao. Cao Cao wasn't dumb enough to believe that Lu Bu would stay loyal to him so just ended it.

>After this, Liu Bei was made a county magistrate in Anxi. However, he was not actually qualified to serve in this position, since he never actually served as a cadet at the Imperial court and never received the sort of special nomination that would allow him to skip that step, so an official was sent to remove him from power. Liu Bei was furious when the official told him that he was being replaced but he resigned with quiet dignity. By which I mean he tied the man to a tree and beat him with a plank before hanging his seal of office next to the man and running away.

benevolence

t. Guan Yu