What did Galadriel mean by this?

What did Galadriel mean by this?

No, seriously, I don't understand this scene at all

Elves are not immune to the ring's draw, regardless of Agent Smith's moral posturing.

>evil elven queen
muh dick

If she took the ring she would rule over middle-earth. She wouldn't be any better than sauron

okay but i'm asking about the reason for the freakout. is it basically ?

And what did she mean by "i passed the test" and "I will diminish"

she, literally, revealed her power level

warning frodo not to offer the ring to people he trusts and are strong, like her and gandalf or even aragorn

they cant handle it

She passed the test by refusing the ring, with its power the elves wouldn't have had to leave, the age of men never would come. At least that's what the ring showed her to tempt her

There were a handful of people who could rival Sauron's power if they had the ring. Galadriel was one of them. She had always been one of the more ambitious and power-hungry elves, and the ring knew it. So she reveals her innermost desires and show what she would become if she actually claimed the ring for herself. She resists the temptation however and remains only Galadriel, rather than God-Queen Galadriel eternal ruler of Middle-earth. This also means that she is ready to return "home" to Valinor since now there is nothing left for her in middle-earth.

Didn't aragorn pick the ring up off the ground and give it to Frodo though? Without even thinking twice about it. I thought this happened after the battle where boromir dies at the end of the first movie.

He never actually touched the ring itself. Frodo showed his open hand with the ring in it and asked if he would destroy it given the choice, and Aragorn simply closed his hand without ever touching it. Though not without being tempted. But unlike Boromir he didn't give in to his greed.

>All shall love me and despair
What did she mean by this?

You're right. I didn't read the books but were there ever any times Aragorn was tempted by the ring? What could have happened if Aragorn did end up with the ring?

The elves act all high and mighty but they ain't shit.

Now you understand why the dwarves don't like them. They don't entertain their bullshit just to be diplomatic. And the elves hate that.

Any human is tempted by it. A general rule in Tolkien's writings are that humans are the most flawed of sentient creatures. The nature of humans in LOTR is that they have true freedom, and this also includes freedom to commit acts of incredible evil and depravity. So they're easy to corrupt. If Aragorn got the ring he would have used it for good purposes (or would at least rationalise it as so) but eventually he would become a warmongering dictator that would try to usurp Sauron's throne. Though if a mere human (admittedly of a better stock than most) would ever be able to use the ring that efficiently is anyones guess. Aragorn would have become a Stalin. Extremely paranoid and hungry for wealth and power, though he would claim to rule for the benefit of all.

He probably was, but he ain't no elven bitch. He's not gonna burden the ring bearer more by sperging out in front of him.

This desu

Is Aragorn different from the typical men you see in the movie though? From a line of "super-men". Different from Boromir for example. Or is that what you meant by "of better stock"?

He is a descended from the line of Numenor. Ancient men who were powerful as fuck.

Hes the king man, of course hes better than the average pleb

But all had really, REALLY stupid names.

Ar Pharazon is a cool name man. He raped Sauron in his boipucci in his dungeon.

Elves are very much superior to men in the LOTR universe.

>i'm asking about the reason for the freakout
Jackson doesn't do subtlety.

Aragorn is part elf, part maia distantly. He lives to be something absurd like 200+ years old. He's more than human.

Not superior, just different. For all their grand design they still got decimated in the War of Wrath, to a level never even imagined by men. And Men never experienced a knife in the back from their brothers on the scale of Feanor's continent-crossing spergout.

That is a pretty complicated matter. Aragorn is a "Dunedain". A descendant of the humans of Numenor, a sort of high-Man. More close to Elves than other humans. Boromir is also a descendant of that people but not from such a pure lineage as Aragorn who is descended from the first King of Numenor who was half-elven along with his brother Erlond. The perks of being a Dunedain was greater wisdom and intellect and a longer lifespan (Aragorn lived to be 210 years old). The numenoreans are in turn descended from the Edain tribe of men who fought alongside the elves against the first dark lord, they were given the island of Numenor as a gift by the godlike Valar. But their long lifespan coupled with the natural ambition of humans eventually led to the Numenoreans rebelling against the Valar and trying to claim immortality for themself (cheered on by Sauron who had subverted the entire civilization). God proceeded to flatten the entire island and the survivors founded Gondor and Arnor in middle-earth.

So basically don't dress like a slut if you don't want to be raped.

Elves ain't SHIT. Get on your boat and fuck off, elves are not welcome here.

Nigger, if someone cared enough to read that they'd read the Silmarillion themselves. Be concise, you aspie.

My dad always had this theory that the reason Hobbits disappeared from Middle Earth was because they grew and grew over generations and became the same size as Men, because of Merry and Pippin drinking the Ent draught. Is there any corroboration of this in the appendices and shit or was he just high?

Hobbits disappeared because like western white man traveling to Japan for a cute, submissive, hella tight yellow nippon, when men found out about the shire they descended upon it and bred the hobbits out of existence. It's in the unreleased Tolkien lore held in Christopher Tolkien's attic. I'm close friends with him and he let me read it. It's pretty raunchy stuff.

Friendly reminder that in the book, Faramir didn't give a fuck about the Ring and was completely helpful to Frodo once he knew what was going on.

If someone asks a question it's better to give the whole answer than leave any loose ends. Now he knows.

I was the one who asked the question and I thought the response was well thought out and answered everything I was wondering concisely.

I wish they would've went more into all that in the movies.

Faramir is cool in the movies too. They just spend more time on sceptic faramir so they could pack shelob in to the third movie.

Soz but you missed Aragorn is part Maia. Not a full answer. B+

>I wish they would've went more into all that in the movies.
No you don't because it's aspergic as shit. Read The Silmarillion. I absolutely dare you to try. You apparently like unnecessary details.

Aragorn is like, 1/28 angel and maybe 1/3 elven.
Elrond is his greatX7 uncle or something.

Reminder Aragorn and Arwen are related and Elrond lets his nephew fuck his daughter.

Not quite, Aragorn told Elrond that he was going to fuck his cousin, and Elrond told him "Not until you're king and Sauron is defeated".

Reminder that Aragorn was a child when he moved in with Elrond and a fully mature Arwen would spy on shota Aragorn, lusting after him.

Allowing someone to do something conditionally is still allowing them to do it, aspie.

Numenoreans > Moriquendi

even with them being related it doesnt matter. There is surely enough genetic diversity in this elven/dunedain/human relation to prevent inbreeding.

>And he actually did it
The absolute madman

Elf DNA is shown to be overwhelmingly dominant by how much elven characteristics are present in Aragorn - King Elessar, meaning Elfstone - despite the numerous generations that have passed. Their children would have a double dose of whatever elven genetic diseases Arwen and Aragorn inherited from their shared forebearers.

>swn dominate you

Why even live?

How does she look so young in the new Thor movie?

what did tolkien mean by this?

The Silmarillion is actually really cool at worldbuilding if you cant get past the often dry prose. I mean, the events in that damn book are batshit insane, nothing on LotR and the Hobbit is even near that level, and it really gives the feeling that the world has diminished a lot by the third age.

>universe was created by god and his band playing a song
>Feanor, just that gigantic asshole and the bullshit he pulled on everybody
>morgoth's buddy giant spider sucking on two magic trees that are literally are the sun and going supersaiyan
>later, the sun is a hot (literally) girl and the moon is a guy who wants to fuck her holy shit what I am readin
>dragons fucking up everybody and making people do incest
>a talking sword?
>also a cool talking dog
>romeo and juliet, except it is a heist plot to steal stuff from satan, and there is a giant monstruous wolf
>Sauron actually doing shit for once! And his plan mostly worked!

And that's off the top of my head.

If you went 6000 years back in time and fucked the nephew of one of your ancestors, would it constitute as incest?

She's a real Noldor.

I hope. That makes it hotter.

>all these replies itt

holy shit you are all retarded. It just shows that even a such respected being like galadriel who is godlike to everyone can be corruped by power.

Faramir very much understood the temptation of the ring, but he was learned enough to understand why he should stay away from it, and wise enough to resist the voice in his head that wanted it anyway.
That was the point of him initially pretending he wanted to the ring to Frodo, before saying why he didn't.

It wasn't that the ring held no temptation for him.

Parts are cool, yes, but the genealogies and cartographical details are massively overwhelming. It's not just dry prose. It's a new set of characters on a different mission every 10 pages, with new places popping up and then disappearing.

Parts are also clearly really poorly thought out. The cyclical nature of the universe is heading towards what? And even afterwards some things are omitted. The hobbits, apparently so important, aren't mentioned while the dozens of different types of elves and their stupid languages are given origins and explanations.

>The hobbits, apparently so important, aren't mentioned while the dozens of different types of elves and their stupid languages are given origins and explanations.
Important, but easily overlooked.

Also their entire history and racial makeup and lifestyle was covered in Fellowship, it didn't need to be rewritten in the Silmarillion.

I've read LOTR and the Hobbit like 4 times each, watched the movies a fuckload of times etc, but have never read the Silmarillion.

Should I? I heard from someone a long time ago that the structure in the book was very dry and different from the others

It reads like a history textbook, but it's a textbook of an interesting world. That's all that can really be said. You won't be experiencing a plot, you'll be reading a historical records of events that ended a long ass time ago.

Imagine reading a chronicle of the Elder Days translated from the elvish by a hobbit.

Because that's what the Silmarillion is supposed to be, plus a chronicle about Not!Atlantis.

Their origin, however, wasn't explained. Where do they come from? Ilúvatar's creation of elves and man is explained. The creation of the dwarves is explained. The Ents, the birds, are explained. Where did the hobbits come from? Lord of the Rings hints at evolution when it says they're distantly related to men and when it says Gollum once belonged to a precursor to hobbits. What's explained in Lord of the Rings is the Shire and the history of the Shire. There's no pre-history like the pre-history provided in The Silmarillion for elves and men.

Blame Chris Tolkien for that, he could have done a better job editing the book.

That's fucking disgusting..
Poor mini midget people aka hobbit's..

>hobbits bred out because of Shortstack fetishist

LOL

Because the Silmarillion is supposed to be about the Elves' history, written from the pov of Elves. Nobody in Middle Earth, besides Gandalf, the Rangers, and a few others in the North, knew that hobbits existed until Bilbo's journey; and certainly nobody gave a shit about them until the War of the Ring. Even the hobbits themselves don't know how they came to be.

It's one of those things Tolkien left unexplained on purpose, like Tom Bombadil.

What I always took from it was that whoever wrote or collected the Silmarillion plain didn't know where the Hobbits came from. They're sort of a mystery in Middle Earth, who sort of just wandered out one day to everyone's surprise. Tom Bombadil and whatever the fuck the Watcher in the Water was, or the nameless things Gandalf saw weren't explained either so it's probably not a perfect and omniscient record, just what its editor knew.

One of theme themes running through LOTR is that absolute power corrupts absolutely. Any character with the strength or desire to wield power would be corrupted by the ring. This includes Gandalf, Galadriel, most men, the eagles e.t.c.

This is the reason a hobbit is chosen to be the ringbearer and why they are the heroes of the story. With no desire to rule, they just want to return to the shire, smoke pipeweed and let off fireworks.

In the book, there's a scene that takes place in Isengard in which Aragorn looks into the palantir. (I think the scene also happens in the Extended Edition of RoTK)
It's never directly stated, but some believe that Sauron, upon seeing Aragorn standing amongst the ruins of Isengard, believed he had used the power and influence of the One Ring to achieve this, and in response he began the premature plans for the siege of Minas Tirith and attack on Gondor.

Yeah idk, it might not be for me

he's joking

>>all these replies itt
>not liking a classic Sup Forums comfy LOTR thread

You're trusting that it was an intentional device which seems bogus to me, desu. The device that the book was written by someone in-world was used in The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings and there are clear limits to their knowledge. The author of The Silmarillion knows about the creation of the world - how? No one alive at that time knew, and it's presented as fact, not myth. And they know how/why elves, humans, dwarves, ents, eagles but not hobbits? It doesn't ring true at all. Plus the inconsistency I mentioned, in which it's said in Lord of the Rings hobbits are distantly related to men.

There were other inconsistencies I forgot. It's an incredibly comprehensive world and of course not everything is going to be explained. The Silmarillion was put together posthumously and it absolutely shows. To deny it doesn't and pretend it's perfect is a freakin' lie.

>Not quite, Aragorn told Elrond that he was going to fuck his cousin, and Elrond told him "Not until you're king and Sauron is defeated".

He probably said that as a joke thinking nothing would happen.

>The author of The Silmarillion knows about the creation of the world - how?
The elves in Valinor are in contact with the Valar who were literally there and participated in said creation. Are you intentionally being stupid?

Are you? On one hand you suggest there are limits to the person's knowledge then you suggest perhaps it was written by someone in correspondence with the practically all-knowing gods of the world.

she gets tempted to get the ring
but then she calms the fuck down and doesnt
thus she 'passed' that test and proceeds to give some shit to the hobbits and kindly ask them to gtfo of her house

The Valar don't know everything you fucking idiot. This is explained in the very thing you are criticizing. The future they were shown when they made the world did not turn out correct because of Melkor, and lots of shit they had no hand or knowledge in got created. This is literally the origin of Dwarves.

>It's a namefag gets preachy over something he clearly hasn't read episode

I really liked the trilogy, especially the fellowship, but I still don't see why Jackson made several of the choices he did.
Like making basically every elf blonde/blue eyed, the whole eye of sauron thing, saying sauron doesn't have a body anymore, making gimli so silly.

she wanted to be a thot and ride the cock carosel

>Galadriel
>godlike

>galadriel leaves valinor with feanor
>wants to have her own kingdom to rule
>banned from returning to valinor
>suffer while crossing the helcaraxe into middleearth
>suffer in beleriand under morgoth
>eventually get to be a queen in lothlorien
>rings of power are crafted
>get one of them
>can use it to preserve your kingdom, make it almost like valinor
>good times
>then some hobbit shows up at your kingdom
>says he has the one ring and is tasked with destroying it
>this is bad, your ring is tied to the one ring
>no one ring, no more good times
>the midget actually offers it to you
>insert scene from the movie

>practically all-knowing
>practically
They would know where the hobbits came from, dipshit.

tons of makeup and CG vaseline filter
so obvious I wonder why would you even ask

>saying sauron doesn't have a body anymore
They even filmed a scene with sauron fighting aragorn in his body but in the final movie its replaced with a cgi troll or something.

Really, the line of reasoning that The Silmarillion was written by someone in-world in correspondence with the Valar just to avoid admitting it's poorly edited and ill-conceived, which anyone who reads it will see. There's also no evidence for what you're suggesting. There's no reference to a rhetorical in-world author.

Not if they had no hand in it and it wasn't shown to them at the beginning, moron. They only knew about elves and men because God literally showed them to the Valar and said "be ready for these things when they wake up".

Was Galadriel stronger than Gandalf?

Are you retarded? Galadriel encouraged Frodo to continue by showing the consequences of inaction. Then she revealed she could take the ring and make herself the ruler of Middle Earth with its power. She would become a tyrant however.

>the people who shaped the landscape, who nurtured the elves, who could travel the world invisible, who had a hand in the actual creation wouldn't know about the hobbits
You've been cornered into an incredible stupid argument, desu.

wtf
He also didn't make a good job explaining that the nazguls aren't spirits, they're just invisible.
strength isn't an easily analyzable thing in middle earth.

I haven't read the books in forever but the scene in the movie is after the battle of Minas Tirith. Aragorn shows himself to Sauron and tells him he's attacking him head on at the Black Gate. Sauron believes only someone wielding the Ring could be so foolhardy, which is why all of his attention and resources are focused on the Gate: he thinks Aragorn has the Ring.

>The Silmarillion, like Tolkien's other Middle-earth writings, was meant to have taken place at some time in Earth's past.[5] In keeping with this idea, The Silmarillion is meant to have been translated from Bilbo's three-volume Translations from the Elvish, which he wrote while at Rivendell.[6]

As simple as checking fucking Wikipedia you mong.

He's right, they have barely cared about any middle earth related thing since a couple of ages. Hobbits don't appear until the third.

And the source is some book by Christopher Tolkien called The Lost Tales neither of us have read because there's no such reference in The Silmarillion itself.

Utter retard

>Hobbits don't appear until the third.
We don't know that because we don't know where/how the hobbits appeared, and the Valars lack of interaction isn't due to indifference. Gandalf is sent by the Valar.