/fmg/ + /swg/ = /fsg/ - filmmaking and screenwriting general

It's been too long
How's that script coming along?
Does anyone on here actually have ambition to make films?

share your stories, gear, frustrations and all the rest
or just come along to get mad that anyone on this board is trying to do something with their life

Other urls found in this thread:

nofilmschool.com/2014/07/one-dollar-lavalier-mic-microphone-professional-lav-test
youtube.com/watch?v=N0JIrQxF9PQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I just re-recorded a line for a really short film. We shot the entire thing in a day a few weeks back. It's an existential thriller, a guy narrating thoughts about God and then killing a dude. The challenge was making it not come off as pretentious.

Just applied to film school
and im still working on my Ninja Kino

>making a non meme thread on a meme board
Rly?

>going to film school

>ninja kino
Isn't that an oxymoron?

Where do you find actors ?

Where do you find nice clothing/costumes ?

What's a good microphone/camera ?

I use my friends... Join a theatre troupe?
Again, I use clothes people have except for the odd thing here and there. I buy cheap white the shirts for bloody scenes

Check online? Depends on your budget really. How much are you willing to spend?

Surely someone here is gonna be the next refn or corporate?
I refuse to accept that this board is all underage memesters

I'm currently wondering if i should go to med school or film school

It sounds it from that description alone.

Script is doing alright. Its done in chapters similar to Andrei Rublev and I just finished the largest one a couple weeks ago (approx 50% of the full story). Now just working on the final draft for the following chaps.

I don't have a lavalier microphone or a boom microphone. I'm trying to think of a short film I could make using only ADR.
So far, I haven't thought of anything.

yeah... maybe...
I dunno. I really like it at the moment and I tend to dislike shit like that. But I'm probably way too close to it
I've got a mate who tells me the truth about my films' quality so hopefully he can let me know

>that one guy who shitposted himself to death because he just enrolled into film school
Im still laughing

I like that stuff too but I'm sure others would see it that way in a negative light.

ADR?
Just write a film with minimal dialogue. It doesn't matter, if it's your first film it will be shit anyway
But you've gotta make the shit before you can make the good!

I recently finished the first draft of my first proper script, and while it needs a fuck ton of work I'm quite proud of it. But very script I've start since then has ended up stagnating and I can't finish them. I reach a point in the story where I'm not sure where to go next, take a break and then can't get back into it. Then a different idea starts to appeal to me and I just start writing that. Rinse and repeat.

It's been months since I'd had that feeling of pure inspiration which made sit down and write that first script in about a week.

You don't know what ADR is? It's when actors record dialogue separately in a recording studio.
I wanted to make a horror movie. I figured I could probably make one with little sound effects.

As an artist and aspiring writer, the one thing I've learned these past several years is you can't rely on that random inspiration. It's great when you get you know as well as I do that it doesn't last. You rely only on that, you'll waste a lot of time and accomplish nothing. You just have to be inspired by your own work and what you have. Perhaps develop a reason for writing it, something beyond money purposes, something that'll maintain that drive until the end.

>go to film school
>have worthless degree and never amount to anything except for a few decent short films

>don't go to film school
>learn everything on your own
>maybe get some good ideas but can't ever make them because no filmmaking buddies

>decent
Not even, probably.

Rate/rape my screenplay thus far please

oh, i thought you were talking about a type of mic so i got confused and google didn't help (i'm entirely self-taught)

If you remove background noise and get your camera close enough, you'll find that the audio quality is often good enough for a no-budget short

The placement of a mic is more important than the mic you use
nofilmschool.com/2014/07/one-dollar-lavalier-mic-microphone-professional-lav-test

Personally, I often have trouble making separately-recorded audio sound like it was recorded on-set, it sounds too calm and deliberate

I was thinking of buying a Rode Videomic. My camera doesn't have an audio recorder jack, so I was gonna buy a Zoom H1.

>maybe get some good ideas but can't ever make them because no filmmaking buddies
I use my mates
I'm kinda lucky in that one of my friends is close-friends with some film-school kids and is himself pretty into films. But the rest of the ones I use have pretty much 0 experience

>Move aside folks, nothing to see here

Don't go to film school, go to media broadcasting school. Get a tv production diploma, that way if you fuck up your chances of a film career you can get work in TV/Media production.

I have both a rode and a zoom H1. They do me well aye. There's not much I would say bad about that combination. The Rode uses weird batteries, but I've had the same one in it for two years now so that's not much of an issue

Here's my first short that isn't me practicing random film techniques.
Was trying to do a thing with the color of the pencils to mirror street lights(go,slow down,stop) and show a passage of time but failed and just looks random.

youtube.com/watch?v=N0JIrQxF9PQ

2surreal4me

NOt everybody is as lucky as him

Have two short scripts that I recently realized would work really well in the same story. Do I take it and adapt it into one larger script? Or do I take my time to polish one of those shorter scripts and work to actually get it produced?

How does one write something that they don't just feel disgust towards?

R8 my idea

A small crew of filmmakers tasked to shoot a tourism commercial depicting an idealistic Melbourne swiftly end up becoming embroiled within the city's seedy underworld.

I bet you want Lynch to direct that.

I recollected all my notes onto one drive, with each project getting a folder. The idea is have a few cooking at once as incubators, then sink my teeth into one idea that really takes off with the support of the others.

That's why I miss the desktop version of Celtx. The cloud storage management for that site sucks, it's hard to differentiate folders and projects and the like.

As for actual production, I need some cash first, on top of better weather and more free time, which we'll see this summer. Then I'm gonna get started on a narrative mini-series for YouTube, release episodes weekly maybe, see how it plays out for the rest of the winter.

Not a bad choice, but I was hoping to do it sometime in the future

What if you had a nationwide annual filmmaking event where scripts are chosen for different categories - short, full length, television pilot, etc - and then people have 8 or 9 months to create an entry for whichever category they choose. Then you have 4 or 3 months to review submissions, and at the end of the year people vote for the best in each category. there could be multiple awards for each category. participants and nonparticipants could vote, though the two categories of voters would remain separate. so there would be a peoples choice vote, and an in-house vote.

there would be a similar event for screenwriters where vague criteria is generated either at random, by submission, or whatever, and the scripts have to meet that vague criteria while having free reign to do whatever else they want. voting would be similar to the filmmaking aspect, and the winners of the screenwriting section would be the scripts chosen for the filmmaking section.

talent could be discovered in the process. if it became popular enough there could be regional events, and perhaps even sponsors. metropolitan areas could pool their resources to have a dedicated video editing and post production lab. I know I would write for something like this, even if it was only for fun.

They have a couple of those in Australia I think. They're mostly smaller in scale and not necessarily nation wide

one larger, polished script

which is more ambitious: a feature film or a miniseries?