What went wrong?

>Ghost in the Shell has grossed $18.7 million in the United States and Canada and $40.1 million in other territories for a worldwide gross of $58.8 million, against a production budget of $110 million.

Why did it flop?

>Butterface Johanson is a shitty cast for the major

>Shitty unoriginal uninspired plot and aesthetics

>Ghost in the Shell has already been copied a thousand times already in shitty unoriginal uninspired flicks

A glib facsimile

It will probably break even in the end

>Not anywhere close to break even after it's first weekend

Lolno tard

>against a production budget of $110 million.
>

plus $80-100 million marketing

flop city bitch flop flop city bitch

I hope this irreversibly damages scarjo's career and hope she fucks off forever

In a capitalist society "break even" is total failure.

Why the fuck did it cost 110 million.

Fans don't really care about it and the general public just sees it as a Resident Evil-type.

Now the series will be blamed and become toxic property rather than the current insistence on remaking and rebooting every single franchise there ever was.

Scarjo probably makes up most of the budget

I've seen it, it's not THAT bad guys come on, scarjo is the least of this movies issues

Marvel/Disney shills on the internet trying to shut it down with paid reviews, astroturfing, etc

Good, I don't watch Hollywood to touch any more anime

It flopped because ScarJo's body suit was

- unflattering for actress
- not hot to dudes
- unimpressive/non-fash for females; resembled nude padding
- androgynous, which confused everyone

If ScarJo had been nude, and lost weight and trained, huge hit - nudity would be seen as liberating and provocative, and trailers would blur it, and fanboys "faithful" whining would be kill

The rest of the movie looked cool, but ScarJo's tits were like those breast can err patients, like Angelina Jolie or Peggy Bundy. Not futuro, gross.

Breaking even is hard to even accurately define because even if they do make their budget back they still could have spent their time making a movie that wasn't a piece of shit and actually made money.

STAY AWAY FROM MY ANIME YOU GOD DAMN HOLLYWOOD WESTAKEKS

>Ghost in the Shell has already been copied a thousand times already in shitty unoriginal uninspired flicks
Can you name 5?

Do you know how hard it is for womyn to build muscle?
In GiTS her body is ridiculous.

Quality of a movie is unimportant here

Studio assumed that the idea will hook people because of popular anime.

But the Anime is still not that popular in the west, especially something like Gits. You need huge marketing budget to sell it and it was apparently not enough.

Overall I'm glad. Lack of profitable anime movies means one thing less for Hollywood to butcher ideas from.

more like ghost in the box office

>comes out in America the day before April fool's day
>the Major isn't Matoko

>and fanboys "faithful" whining would be kill

The gripes from fans are the thematic changes. don't act like the body suit is what people really give a fuck about. At most the bodysuit removes the detachment she has towards her robot body, not really a big deal.

>Sell out movie's plot and lead role for some generic Western bullshit, "Because it'll sell better."
>Don't realize that what made it do so well was its Eastern influences
>Suffer in the box office for being an ignorant shit

It flopped because it deserved to flop. I'm laughing at all the people who defended the Scarlet choice "because a big name will bring more people to the theaters". Turns out the bad press from selling out for a bigger name actually does way more damage to sales than the bigger name would ever bring in.

What the fuck were they thinking? I'm literally not going to see this just because I can't take her ugly mug, and I can't imagine many people give a shit about black widow.

They don't, but Joss Whedon insisted to give that character a lot of screentime.

I hope Scarjo and Jlaw both have some freak plastic surgery accident

The original was like a slow art film with action bits. Why the fuck did they think this would be marketable to your average popcorn popping american?

Studios desperately tries to catch the avengers audience.

Besides, if it wasn't for Sup Forums I would've never heard about this movie

It will make back its budget in the cinemas, then it will profit on video and online streaming

The plot of the movie was great ... when it was called RoboCop
But really, fans of the original were disgusted by the trouncing of the source material (why I didn't see it), non-anime fans were repelled by the origin of the property, and a lot of remaining people took issue with the whitewashing (and especially the way it was dealt with in-film, which was egregiously bad).
The only audience for this film are those who fetishized the visuals

I never watched the anime and I didn't see the movie, although I did think about it even if I ultimately decided not to see it.

The trailers just looked like a naked not-cyborg running around City 17 while people quipped about breaking free of some mega corporation. So in other words, almost every cyberpunk story ever written in any media ever. It had no pull, no draw, no appeal.

Wow, it's only tuesday and the biggest lie on Sup Forums this week already has a first prize

At least this will mean a quick blu ray release. They advertised the film as an action flick. I think they could have advertised it better. Plus I bet their script was terribly simple.

Great visuals though, just like how Jupiter Ascendant was great visually wise.

Good.

Maybe this will mean less Black Widow in future MCU.

What's sad is that if they'd embraced it for what it was, it probably would have done really well.

The problem isn't really ever that the American audience is too stupid. Films like No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood have shown us that. It's that they try to dumb things down and as a result the people who enjoy intellectually provocative movies are pushed away and people who enjoy mindless movies are turned off by the shadow of concepts they normally don't care about.

The moment they made it a flashy revenge flick instead of a cyberpunk introspective about society and the implications of both individuality and identity, they fucked themselves.

Here's why you're an idiot. It only needs to make another 50 million to make back its budget. It will easily do that worldwide over the next few weeks

And now you understand why you're an idiot

>the Major isn't Matoko

Except for the bit where she is Motoko Kusanagi.

The Major is Motoko, that's obvious about 5 seconds in and revealed properly halfway through

>Not even half the budget on it's opening week worldwide (Not counting marketing)
>"It will easily make back it's money guize!"

fucking this.

I can forgive the story and most of the cast but not Johanson. So many other white actress could've done a better job as Major.

Well put. Have these dubs.

Nailed it. I didn't watch the anime but from what I heard it's one of the classics. Therefore I had assumed that it would have an interesting and memorable world and story. Instead it looks like a typical action flick.

If they had stuck to the original concepts, and saved money by not hiring some overpriced actress, it probably would have been worth seeing because it would have been original if nothing else.

Furious 8 is out in 2 weeks that's huge competiton

Scarjo and Jlaw are basically meme actors, they're not good but people hire them because plebian crowds recognize their names

You deserve a (you)

The real reason is because they didn't have any cool, fast action scenes in the trailer. Nobody have a fuck about the geishas they plastered everywhere.

Correct.

The world is interesting. I watched in IMAX and the city was breathtaking. Visually it's on par with Speed Racer and Enter The Void.

It's more than half. Learn basic math fucktard

I thought the opposite. All the trailers told me was that Scarjo runs around shooting a gun while wearing a skin tight body suit.

Speaking of the body suit, that just looked very out of place to me. Yes, I am aware the animes had sex and nudity but from the commercials I saw Scarjo was in it 80% of the time. It just seemed lit it was blatant sex appeal and it clashed with the supposedly grounded sci-fi setting.

Well that's supposed to be her naked robot body. She has Predator cloak so she abandons the clothes in some of the action scenes.

just another example of why cartoons shouldnt be translated into live action

The Matrix

They should have gotten Tarantino to direct it t b h

I have not completely followed ghostintheshell threads, I wonder if the fags who said that Scarjo's Starpower would be the reason why this would be a $ 800 million movie have justified the flop.

time to come back crawling on all fours girl

that's 3, gimme 2 more

Literally every ad on Facebook had comments bitching about white washing

That's what killed it.

>Tfw redditor co-worker defended the movie and said I'm just a sad weeb who can't handle change

Hollywood doesn't really trust anime story telling. So it has to throw in a cliche plot point. It's why it went from Major meeting this guy as a kid to they were a couple who were kidnapped.

Akira is next!!

why are you pretending to be me?

I understand that, but it doesn't change the fact that, to me anyway, it looks like gratuitous sex appeal.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying movies can't have any sex appeal. But when a movie looks bland to begin with, it just makes the movie look even more shallow.

This needed to have action scenes and visuals that rivaled The Matrix, instead we got a CSI episode with a neat cyberpunk skin.

When you want to make the next big franchise put a director who cares on the project and not the guy who made Snow White and the Hunstman.

ANIME IS SAVED

CELEBRATE

Hollywood's hand still burns and will never again touch anime.

>I wonder if the fags who said that Scarjo's Starpower would be the reason why this would be a $ 800 million movie have justified the flop.

What? Almost everyone here was saying it would flop

nice synopsis, can I copy it? You articulated the animosity better than many of us ever could

>rivaled the Matrix
The Matrix already took most of GiTS' good scenes. The live action film simply didn't need to exist.

Fucking kikes

>implying Hollywood executives will learn anything from this endeavor
>implying they won't just find another popular anime series to make another tentpole blockbuster flop

it didn't look all that interesting but Im shocked that it flopped.
Seemed like the type of crap people usually eat up.

It doesn't look any worse than any CapeShit flick...if anything it seemed a bit more visually interesting.

The studio saw that Lucy overperformed and that people really wanted a Black Widow movie so they thought Scarjo was popular enough.

It made sense on paper. Scarjo + recognizable sci-fi franchise.

Why does Hollywood keep trying to make these movies? I just don't get it. What do they stand to gain? Is it that hard to just make an original cyberpunk movie with similar themes to this movie, and just call it something else? Maybe you wouldn't have to have pig in the blanket scarjo wear a shitty skintight suit as a result

is GITS that recognizable though? It's a classic for anime fans, but do people in general know about it or care about it? No one in my circle of friends had heard about the original, let alone SAC

Well if it kills it in Japan and China we'll see. I think this may be one of the few to be buoyed by great asia numbers.

>every video game movie is a critical/financial flop
>they still keep trying

>tfw live action cowboy Bebop movie will never happen

Thank fuck

>It doesn't look any worse than any CapeShit flick...if anything it seemed a bit more visually interesting.
This, seriously.

Warcraft was saved by China

If it wasn't based on a relatively well known anime, normies probably would have eaten it up.

The problem is that it alienated the original fans because it deviated too much from the source material. It alienated normies because it's based on a Tibetan stop-motion claymation animation. It alienated critics who didn't give a shit about anime one way or another because it was a generic scifi action movie.

This movie didn't strike any core audience.

the resident evil movies are total shlock but one would think they make money, right? why would they keep making sequels if they didnt?

I'm not a weeb at all, the only anime ive seen is DBZ, and i've heard of GitS.

i'm a nerd posting on Sup Forums though, maybe the everyday normie has no idea what GitS is.

This.

And I'm so glad it failed hard.

>Why did it flop?

Hollywood takes something good then turns it into a crappy PG-13 flick for idiots.

Pros:
-Movie looked nice
-setting is nice
-action was okay
-use of white actors for the cyborgs helped reinforce they are different

Cons:
-zero emotion
-plot was kind of weird and it felt unsure of what it wanted to do
-kept posing these philosophy questions and didn't really do anything with them
-not enough time to really bond with anyone
-could have selected better actors

But the thing is, you've heard about it, but does that name recognition alone have any value? If you're more nerdy than the average person, and it doesn't dissuade you, then why the fuck would it matter to a normie that doesn't watch cartoons because they're for children

Should have cast someone that was fit enough to play the shell.

It's a cult film for everyone who cares about Cyberpunk. It gets mentioned all the time in Cyberpunk books and games.

The thing is Cyberpunk kind of died out. Maybe it will change once CDProject releases that Cyberpunk 2077 game.

GITS will compete with Furious 8 in Asian though. Furious 7 made over 1bil outside the US.

RE budgets are pretty low and foreign loves them

even here you can find anons saying it will make money, see

Saw it and thought it was pretty good.

The champion of vidyakino flopped, the champion of animekino flopped.

Can capekino be stopped?

Kino right?! Hurr durr kino! Muh kino! So kino! Kino kino kino! Duuuuuuuuuurrrrrr kino!!

The original anime was one of the most overrated films ever made, and this movie has basically the same exact plot. So if this movie sucks then so did the original anime.

i guess im the target audience since i read books like neuromancer and snowcrash, but the reviews killed any interest i had in seeing the movie.

i dont know why any normie will see some weird movie called ghost in the shell.

I thought the movie was entertaining for it's lenght, sure it played it safe, but I liked that it didn't try to focus on too much stuff and too many characters like so many adaptations tend to do
compared to shit like dragon ball evolution it was great

some scenes felt like they were cut short though, the editing was definitly going for the 90 minutes mark

Look at Blade Runner. Cyberpunk had been done before Blade Runner, but it wasn't just the setting that set Blade Runner apart. What put it above the pack was that it was a noire film. Noire is a natural choice for any "punk" setting because its slow pace means there is plenty of opportunity to flesh out the world. Instead of focusing on the action and the rapid progression of the story, there is more time to explore and appreciate the aspects that make the world interesting and memorable.

Being a noire style film set Blade Runner apart, not its setting. The issue is that making noire style movies, or hell, any kind of movie that deviates from the accepted modern norm, is a risky investment. With movie production becoming so ungodly expensive (no thanks to casting Scarjo the Walking Refrigerator) producers are rightfully unwilling to stray too far from safe waters so to speak. So rather than take the time to make a good "punk" movie, they just take flicks and paint them with a fresh coat of dystopia because it's usually a safer bet.

GiTSs problem was that it was too anime for the normies, and too normie for the critics and fans.

the plot is even remotely similar to the original

They have completely different plots, stop shitposting.

SAVE ANIME

FIND ALL ANIME LIVE ACTION ADAPTION SCRIPTS IN HOLLYWOOD

BURN THEM

DELETE THEM

WE WILL NOT GO QUIETLY INTO THE NIGHT

>normies don't know or care for the anime
>fans of the original didn't even want it to happen
>scarjo doesn't have as much pull as an action heroine as they thought she did
china will save it I guess

Feel free.