Without discussing a DCEU movie / paid off critics

Without discussing a DCEU movie / paid off critics
Can someone explain why this film got good reviews? It's awful even by mindless summer blockbuster standards

People know and like these characters and like watching them do things. That's my best guess. The movie itself is straight garbage, but as a 2 and a half hour hangout session with your fictional MCU friends it's good enough.

because it's actually good
not great but still good, with enough action and well-played character interaction

Critics reward "safe" movies now. If you're movie doesn't follow the introductory first act, the "let's get this thing in this place" second act ending with the hero in a bad place and the final fight third act structure, always with zero stakes and zero consequences, you're in for trouble. Marvel does this pretty well, 14 times in a row actually, so the critics love it

It was very fucking bland to be honest.

Marvel just gets a free buss pass every damn time because it's Marvel and people know what they're getting (safe,riddled with quips movie)

I love the part where critics try to paint it as some complex battle that's "deconstructing" the genre. When in truth it's unintentional satire of the genre.

The previous Captain America film was relatively really good. It was obviously gonna make a lot of money and be seen by a lot of people. On top of that, there were several spots and previews that were positive.
Reviewers try and fit their ratings with the public consensus so that people will trust the review. Thus, since they figured the film would do well and was safe, they gave it great reviews.

But the film is shit, unfortunately

Easily digestible entertainment normies can laugh at while browsing facebook on their phones.

Can someone post 3 good looking shots from this movie?

i don't get it
are these memers?
This is the best marvel movie yet
the fighting was choregraphed the best yet
there was more story than shitty explosion fest known as the avengers
the ending fight is actual action movie kino
the only real downside is how stupid the characters look yet again made worse by black cat

>"still good"
>"well-played character interaction"
>aeroport scene
>cut cut cut cut
>orange slices

marvelcucks will defend this
daily reminder that BvS was superior in every way

better than bVs

It is not the same played out capeshit plot of good vs evil.

>It is not the same played out capeshit plot of good vs evil.
Nope, it's the extremely original plot of the bad guy fooling everybody with a rubber mask (something explained in a voice over phone conversation btw).

Clear plot structure, added a twist to make it more surprising, with tons of characters. If it were a film project I give it an A because it follows the curriculum. But that's about it, nothing much more positive to say.

Also Zemo is a cute and he did nothing wrong

You'll be hard-pressed to get people to say specifically what they find good about a Disney Marvel movie. They keep things as vague as humanly possible as you can see.

What was the twist? I just remember everything being extremely obvious and no surprises at all.

Not when the doomday fight was a night time CGI fuck fest.

Excellent film, characters you like, good plot, coherent themes

20 cuts in a 5 second clip
shit cgi
bland cinematography, set-design and use of colours
A bad guy who can somehow perfectly predict extremely contingent future events
Ignoring the issues brought up in previous marvel films and instead making a bunch of pointless ones
Shitty character motivations
Plot armour out of the wazoo
A child-like exploration of politics and conflict
No weight or gravity to any of the events

Yeah, it was shit

That's just how comics are. They've always been stories for children.

The whole Winter Soldier killed Starks parents, even though you figured it out half way through the movie. And the fact Zemo wasn't trying to release the other soldiers, and killed them all.

Comics have shit lightning and framing? What shit comics are you reading?

>can someone explain why this film got good reviews?

Why don't you fucking read the positive reviews dipshit. They will probably tell you what they liked about the movie

Marvel's Civil War is a masterpiece of efficient storytelling. Batman vs Superman struggles to effectively tell a story about a couple of superheroes, one villain and a love interest. Civil War manages to credibly weave over a dozen heroes into a tightly-focused story, two of whom are main characters, half of which are properly developed and characterised and all of whom, even the "guest stars", get something cool to say or do. Even Falcon gets more dialogue in Civil War than Superman does in his own movie! "Quip"-filled though it may be, the conversations in Civil War flow like real banter between real people, and do a good job of conveying the personalities of the characters.

You're crazy. This shit was fuuuunn

>Crossbones fight with Cap
>Panther's debut scene
>mother fucking Spider Man
>mother fucking Giant Man
>Steve beating the shit out of Tony
>those chases, car and rooftop
>paprikash

Eat shit buttboy

Pretty much this user. There hasn't been that efficient a juggling of plot, drama and characters since Whedon's Avengers

>A bad guy who can somehow perfectly predict extremely contingent future events
Worse offender than Luthor to be honest. The movie was trash

I loved that it wasn't about those supersoldiers being released. I was dreading the predictable

>There hasn't been that efficient a juggling of plot, drama and characters since Whedon's Avengers
Now there's some damning with faint praise.

Bantz is hard to do. But it's whedon's strength

I enjoyed it, and I wanted to see where cap goes after TWS

It wouldve been better as a "avengers movie" rather than giving it to cap

Didn't they just flat out say that about halfway through the movie? Maybe it was just me that figured it out without realizing, but it didn't feel like a reveal to me.
And the way they did that was the fucking worst. How many fucking cameras were in the middle of nowhere back in 91? And an elite killer choses that spot to kill them, and also makes sure he stares right at the camera so we can get a good look at his face. It was fucking embarrasing.

That's not the central tenet of the movie though. When you think about this movie you think about the Avengers splitting up between people who want to be an arm of the government with oversight and people who want to be independent.

No, you think about Tony Stark and Steve Rogers having a slapfight because Tony is jealous Steve is hanging out with his bad boy ex.

I hate that people with this level of bad taste exist.

How can anyone complain that Civil War is generic when the final third involves the supers fighting each other instead of the usual safe route of teaming up and fighting a big bad evil?

Not as bad as DC fans who are defending their abhorrent movies.

Because of Zemo, the only acceptable MCEU villain.

What a sad faggot you are. Imagine being so entrenched in this you end up defending the abomination that is Civil War. No wonder Marvel movies keep getting shittier and shittier with this shiteating fanbase.

Maybe because at the end everyone was ok and even the black guy was gonna be walking again thanks to Tony Stark technomagic bullshit, and it was as if nothing had happened so we can move on to the next turd without any hiccups.

tl;dr it's okay when Marvel does it

Listen, kid.

I just got out of a liberal shill thread where the fucker actually said "tippity top kekkles".

Who the fuck says something like that? That is the gayest shit I have heard in a fucking week. You motherfuckers know exactly why this board sucks. It is you guys stinking it up with your shilling, and then pretending to be mad at the state of it. Hey, everyone, whenever a liberal shills, just remember they say faggy shit like "tippity top kekkles". It will put things in perspective.

The stakes are as high as an average episode of a cop drama.

It's a fun blockbuster popcorn flick. Superhero movies are not real kino, don't expect it to have mindblowing plot etc. It's just soap opera with spandex wearing guys instead of bunch of whores. It was a perfect summer blockbuster movie, but again, it's normal to not enjoy that kinda thing.

Just because you are projecting your gay tendencies doesn't make it true

>and do a good job of conveying the personalities of the characters.

Every MCU character has the same personality

And yet DC copies them and fails, they can't even make shit properly

cut cut cut cut cut cut

the airport scene was at least enjoyable and compared to the closest thing in BvS, the doomsday fight, it's literally superior in every way.

At least they aren't pretending someone is dead just for a cliche resurrection

the people of this world are largely in a process of giving up.

don't believe me? look up.

expectations met and then some

I have no fucking idea user, I pirated and fell asleep halfway through, tried to finish it later on but I think I turned on some vidya and just listened to it in the background on lappy.

holy fuck.

nippity toppless fekkles

>your post was about faggot liberals, my captcha was helicopters

What exactly do you expect when you watch these movies? This movie was competently written. Both the Captain America character and Iron Man were given logical reasons to fight, movie delivered on its concept, served as a proper sequel to the Winter Soldier, and did some minor deconstruction of the super hero genre. The only criticisms I hear of this film are that no one dies which is an illegitimate argument. People do not need to die to have stakes in a film. Only a child would think that.

The purpose of the movie wasn't a war but to explore what happens when family members disagree. If you wanted bodies piling up, you're watching the wrong movie. Considering the weak subject material, this came out very good. It was different from their other films. The climax is not like the Avengers, Guardians, Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Captain America 1 or 2, or any of the Iron Man films.

Any complaints about the shots could be expanded to the rest of the MCU. That's how they are shot. They have a specific style. You can't tear down this movie for adhering to this style. Most critics have accepted that the MCU will have this look. The movies rate high because each of them is what a blockbuster is expected to be. Fun with great action and character interactions. The reviews aren't paid for. The films are stronger than those in other cinematic universes because Marvel loves it characters and hires people who love them too.

ITT: still butthurt DCfags

>safe movie
it was pretty rebellus movie, half of the team went against the government, the law, to prove their justice

Spider-Man and the part where Ant-Man turns giant were the only things that I liked about this movie. The rest was pretty meh.

>Without discussing a DCEU movie / paid off critics
>yet it's clearly a butthurt DCfag thread whining about a year old movie which won against his one year old movie

couldn't you find another hobbi than making these shit threads for the 500th?

It was completely by-the-numbers, style-over-substance, full of cheap thrills and easily digestible drama, made to be "fun" and "watchable" for the massess.

No, it doesn't deserve the high praises, but also isn't the "worst film eva" deal that Sup Forums claims it to be.

It was okay. As far as ensemble super-team movies go it was a step up from both Avengers and definitely better than the mess that was BvS, but it still retained some inherent problems in the structure. Basically a movie like this is always gonna end up adhering to the hitting-action-figures-together principle where it leans heavily on showing all the superheroes using their powers against each other. The fight scenes were pretty well made/choreographed depending on what was stunts and what was CGI. The airport fight, as has been pointed out, suffered from the absence of an interesting environment, but served its purpose of giving us the big Marvel free-for-all that the civil war premise promised. Hopefully they figure out how to maximize the pros of this film in Infinity War while adding a bit more aesthetic value.

As far as story, it did a decent job tying together elements from previous movies from the Winter Soldier to the floating city that got dropped on the village, etc. The villain was sort of the inverse of your average Marvel villain in that he had nothing interesting going on visually, but was remarkably well characterized, especially for such a crowded movie. At the end of the day, Black Panther was the best part of the movie. He got an origin story and numerous standout moments that have me legitimately interested in his standalone.

Not that I disagree with you but do you know how to describe a movie without using buzzwords and cliche phrases? Some of them don't really apply.

Are you sure he just didn't change his plans as the circumstances evolved?

Iron Man, Iron Man 3, and Winter Soldier are all head and shoulders above CW

I've been trying to figure it out myself. People who's opinion I value said it was the best Marvel movie yet when it released. Looking back I can't fathom how it was received that way when it came out, but just 6 months later it is considered one of the worst.

Copy pasta

Stopping the movie for 20 minutes to introduce Spider-Man to advertise for the Spider-Man movie is not efficient storytelling

>we only have a day to find Cap!
>let me waste 12 hours flying to recruit a guy who will immediately leave the movie

Marketing is one hell of a drug.

Dunno, shit was as terrible as BvS. Ant-Man bit was cool tho

I thought this thread was about discussing the movie on its own terms, without comparing it with DC's stuff.
The fact that BvS is shit has nothing to do with the quality of this movie.

These movies are for plebs that want a minimum of expository dialogue and character building, and a maximum of action and quips.

That's the Marvel formula, do one (or with Iron Man, 2) movie where you establish the character, and every movie thereafter is bad guy flavor-of-the-week. Invariably it's someone who punches others, assuming the hero if also a punchy type.

Doctor Strange was the best Marvel film in years, and it's still only mediocre/better than average.
I've seen the Iron Man films numerous times, but these Avenger flicks are so forgettable with the exception of the first one.

Yeah, the funny thing is that the only bits I somehow enjoyed in the movie were with Ant-Man or Spider-Man, which were totally shoehorned in and have fuck all to do with the plot.

>zero consequences
>i didnt watch the second half of the movie