Where did it all go so wrong

where did it all go so wrong

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Flanderization
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>show becomes wild successful because main characters don't have plot armor
>start handing out plot armor to fucking sidekick's sidekicks season 5

Who are you talking about specifically?

I dunno, somewhere around season 3 or 4 when the normies really got interested with it and they ran out of material.

Started shoving SJW ideology down our throat, writing declined heavily when it ran out of source material and had to revert to 'TV Writing' with all its tired tropes.

this 2bh. characters like bronn and podrick really serve no purpose at this point and stopped being fun a long time ago

when they started freestyling

an adaption of a series of books with like a hundred separate narrative strands was never going to work anyway, but at least they could have avoided major disasters by sticking to the source materials

Reddit got a hold of it

>Started shoving SJW ideology down our throat
lol what?

Podrick will die. He does in the books.

Also Hodor, Osha, most of Jon's friends from the Night's Watch died in the last two seasons. Also 4 out of 6 direwolves which are like the definition of main character sidekicks.

The moment Dunce & Dumb said they hate Stannis in season 2.

pods not ded yet

S1E1

Pod's not dead in the books. His promised survival is what compels Brienne to lure Jamie

it could have worked. obviously some of the shit from the later books could've been cut but their original content is 90% garbage

late season 4. By season 5 it became a joke

>characters like bronn and podrick
They haven't really been in that much danger

shut up, faggot.

>they ran out of source material
when will this meme end

showrunners are hacks.

they only care about Dany and Jon snow now. that and fan service thats not in the books

bron was poisoned, then given the antidote in a cringey fake-out.

>lol what?

Retard.

Never noticed the magical teleporting Brienne?
The fact that Sansa is literally useless in every regard but somehow got someone else's dogs to magically attack Ramsay at command despite being starved for a week straight?

Dany shitting out armies for literally no reason. Actually just Dany in general, never fucking listening to her advisers and constantly getting out of harm due to sheer luck and NOTHING else.

Cersei not immediately getting thrown the fuck out/killed after bombing half of kings landing, etc.

An entire continent mostly under command of women who have done next to fucking nothing to get it

>but somehow got someone else's dogs to magically attack Ramsay at command despite being starved for a week straight?
Inconceivable logistics to get some dogs near a bound man.

They outran the books. Are you retarded?

i still dont get D&D's obsession with sansa
why did they feel the need to shove her into 3 different storylines she should have nothing to do with to make her seem more important?

saying 'they ran out of source material' implies that there wasn't enough source material to work with, which there was, they just went through 2 books in less than a season for some reason

They try to make her seem like she's le stronk woman now!1!111! but all she does is use her vagina to get littlefaggot to send his army places. Places that he obviously wants them to go, so it all falls flat.

Instead of actual characterization they make Sansa into just a girl who gets people do to things they already want/were going to do, but she thinks she's controlling them, and it just makes the character annoying to be on the screen.

Dumb and Dumber need to fall off of something very high

no big battle/massive twist for ep 9 in affc/adwd 2bh. which is kinda funny since they had fist of the first men happen offscreen

because Sansa, in the books, is a girl who accepts and embraces feminine courtesy and ladylike behavior. To a lot of people, this is the equivalent of being a traitor, so they are struggling to find a way of adapting her to not be as submissive

When they fell into the "Twin Peaks" trap and started focusing on bantz, small character arcs and shit like that and left the major plot points (Walkers and War) on the back burner.
It's hard to take it seriously as an epic show when youi spend more hours in a season watching a little girl try to become an assassin than an undead army descending down on the lands.

millenial pandering ruined the show. The book characters are very clearly written to act like people in the middle ages would

>spend 10 minutes every episode on tyrion drinking wine and making cock jokes with some irrelevant characters
>kill blackfish off-screen
i hate D&D so much

Season 5. Nothing wrong with season 4

>blackfish killed off screen
>especially since they made him basically commit suicide to boot

bad poosy

>nah let me just stay here and die for no reason, it's not like im an expert swimmer and good at guerilla warfare or anything, this is the smartest course of action

Not really, the book reads like a child's imaginign of a medieval world. But GRRM is basically a child or worse.

the final episode of season 4, specifically when they had Brienne fight the hound. Thats when things fell apart. that was the first time they really deviated form the books (also not including lady stoneheart)

Back in 2011 when a bunch of autistic nerds went public boasting about how awesome the show is

Don't forget they have to mention Varys is a eunuch everytime he's on screen.

depends on which character or chapter you mean.

YOU DON'T HAVE A COCK.

I DRINK AND FUCK WHORES.

*raucous laughter*

Dead babies in jars.

flanderization was in full effect by season 5

when they thought they had to pump out a new season every year. this only works if you got an idea of where you are going.

GRRM didn't and the TV show makers didn't for sure. when they went out of source material the show fell to trash tier status, but even before that (like 2-3 seasons ago) their pace was awful in hopes of GRRM writing a new novel in time.

should've just made a season every year or so. or shorter seasons idk.

fucking kek what is it now mtv?

what is flanderisation?

Honestly ?
Hype for the actors.
The characters that made the show intense, and worth watching, were the ones with huge political power and experience, like Tywin, Stannis, Roose Bolton, and Littlefinger to a minor degree.
The problem is that normies don't want to watch a show where older capable but ruthless men fight eachother via politics, diplomacy, and sometimes war. they want le ebin show full of beautiful, young diverse characters that are so badass. Look at Jon Snow, Danny, and now sansa and Aria. They became so important because those young, arguably beautiful actors beame the face of the show.
Even worse, they're going full "hurr durr Littlefinger is controlled by Sansa, even though he is basically a Corleone, because he loves her xDD SO POETIC" and I fear they're gonna ruin CIA too.

God dammit Dumb & Dunce, I don't know how you can write such bad women characters. I'm not one to fall for the SJW boogeyman, but seriously.
>Danny "I am playing with god mode"
>Sansa "Writers said I should be cool"
>Brienne "I am playing Skyrim"
>Aria
Seriously, who was the last good female character in this show ? waifufags please go and stay go

musicians have made a bunch of cameos in it who gives a fuck

>I fear they're gonna ruin CIA too.
littlefinger has been ruined since fucking forever, disregarding that godawful 'im going to fuck them' shit in s1, he's literally just a plot device to prove how smart other characters are. renly, marg, olenna, cersei, tyrion, sansa, tywin, etc. that's like the only purpose he's ever served on the show

Olenna

>watch season 2-6 over the last couple of weeks
>get working subs for them all really easily, first one always worked
>watched season 1 ages ago, decide to give it another go
>dothraki dialogue, decide to get subs
>doesn't work
>get some other subs
>doesn't work
>repeat 10x times,
>none of them fucking work

It's a fantasy television show. If your suspension of disbelief wasn't broken when countless le nimble and quick witted fighters beat heavily armoured soldiers, full retard battle plans, or when dragons and giants showed up then you have a problem. Just because it's "adult fantasy" doesn't mean it won't be full of stock characters and wish fulfillment.

I don't think any of you understand how writing for television works. If HBO made a show how you wanted it it would be so boring no one would watch it.

The show is about what remains of the Stark family overcoming insurmountable odds to retake their place in the kingdom. How could they write a whole season about characters battling ice demons who don't speak? Also a television show doesn't have the luxury of focusing on hundreds of characters. That's why they invented spin offs.

You're both right

I don't know why, but I keep geetig my hopes up for CIA. Technically, he's the closest to the win. But yeah, he's just gonna get BTFO by Sansa to show how "Stronk intelligent womyn" she is.

And Olenna was actually good, but she's too old to ever become a primary character, and now that she's part of the all-girls alliance, I fear what she'll become.

>And Olenna was actually good, but she's too old to ever become a primary character, and now that she's part of the all-girls alliance, I fear what she'll become.
I didn't really get the scene in Dorne.
She acted like her house was dead, but she had more grandchildren.
Even going by just the show they still had people.

Tywins death

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Flanderization

thats exactly how it went down in the books though. Stannis on the other hand was completely ruined and killed off when he should be alive

When it became a pleb meme show that everyone watches plus when they decided to keep it going for so long. It should've died a long time ago when it still could've remained legendary.

>give an example of the show spending too much time on boring and irrelevant shit and cutting out actual interesting things
>'u just dont get it it'd be boring if they did it any other way'

stannis the faggis

>thats exactly how it went down in the books
no it wasnt

All-girl alliance, seriously.
Right now, male characters in GoT are not allowed to be smart, strong, and in control at the same time. That's why I started to watch RotK. It's actually good
Also, if you're like me, and you like the kind of strategist characters that you'd hope GoT would show, go watch/read Shogun. Toranaga a best.

seasons 1-3 it were great. season 4 was good, then 5 and beyond become just as bad as the walking dead

he didn't die. george confirmed that the word brienne replied when getting hung was sword. she was given the choice of death or her sword. she swore her sword saving her a pod but has to try to take out jaime now.

Tywins death? Tyrion shot him with a crossbow on the toilet in the show and books

the reason iasked you and not tv tropes is because i cant understand that site its too tumblr speak for me. can i get a quick rundown?

more minor character traits are exaggerated to the point where they basically define the character
that's my understanding of it

Interesting to you is devoting screen time to a character because you read about him in a book. Interesting to regular viewers is watching core character in the tv series make jokes about eating out chicks because they like spending time with that character.

All good fiction (except media/lit preferred by absolute autists) has a balance between light and shade. It's just that literature and genre fiction has so much more room to accomodate everything. That's why television shows employ A and B plots, the B plot being the lighter of the two.

no he didn't.

Season 4 is when it got bad and lost the got-feeling. It was a combination of dumbing down the show for normies (dropping all dialogue, scheming and character growth in favour of le ebin scenes), becoming sloppy and stopping to pay attention to detail aswell as directors wrongly thinking they could create good OC

ah i see why its called flanderisation now. thanx. on another note i am reading other forums about how many fans have turned against this show. i dunno why i find this really funny given how over hyped its been for many years.

le ebin?

but these are characters that they have introduced and properly established IN THE SHOW that they're fucking over for screen time to cram more dumb meme moments and fan-service in
s5 and 6 was a shitpile and it had very little to do with the differences between mediums

dayne fighting with two swords like an anime character gave me a good laugh at least

He did shank a nigga twice

During the red wedding all redditors filmed their friends and family for epic reactions and it got out of hand. The producers interprented this as normies only caring about big shocking deaths (which is kind of true) and decided they could be sloppy with everything else and just make it filler as long as they had a couple of craaaazzyyy unexpected scenes each season. Compare season 3 and 4 and you'll notice a massive drop in quality everywhere.

Is this singlehandedly the most Reddit show ever made?

>red wedding
I only saw the red wedding until like a week ago and I still managed to not get completely spoiled by it.
I knew the red wedding was a thing, or rather there was a thing that people called the red wedding, but as it happened while I was watching I didn't think of it.

>2017
>still no TWOW

Remember when we actually expected it "next year" in 2013?

are you talking about the Blackfish? Because he's barely in any episodes. A regular watcher probably wouldn't even remember who he was because he was absent for over a season.

I don't even like this show because of characters like Brienne and Dany but I know why the writers have chosen to focus on them instead of unimportant plot point too far removed from their story.

im talking about a few characters. my problem (in this regard, there's a ton of other shit wrong with the show atm that i'm not getting into here) is that they brush characters under the rug (and kill them off) that are/were actually important to the plot then devote screentime to shit like missandei/grey worm and fucking lyanna mormont

im sure twow is like 2020 and the last book is never. i got burned out waiting for it in 2015 so bad i dont even give a shit anymore. might read it if it ever comes out, maybe not

so does le ebin mean redditors then?

please tell me this is photoshop

Easy: topless hooker #32

Anyone else feel like this next season will fail completely? I see no hype among normies for it and I study at a normie college. Last few years everybody have constantly been talking about how they can't wait for the next season of GoT and how great it's going to be and blabla but now it's all quiet. Did normies finally catch on to how shit it has become? I'd love for it to completely dive in numbers and then the show getting canceled.

the way it shines makes it look like one of those temporary tattoos.

next season is still months away and they've only released one trailer. it'll be everywhere in june

>Season 4
>Jamie and Tyrion depart as friends
None of the story makes any sense now.

that's a pretty neat shirt, except Jon was great at sex

It's hard to find the most retarded moment but I still think the battle of the wall takes the prize. Mance Rayder literally didn't have any other plan than to have his soldiers climb up the wall right next to the gate (200 meters straight up, a 12 hour climb or so) so they just charged the wall and stood there waiting to get shot. Stannis wasn't even needed.

if i was grrm id just feel bad for these people

Once you realize Jon is the actual main charsctet and the real story is with thr Nights Watch everything else just looks like complete filler bullshit

Yeah that's called being a plebeian. Just like the writes of the show.

for being skinny and beautiful? Kristen at least.

This. They built up so many storylines for the show only to cut them off extremely quickly. Example:
>Arya, house of B&W
Why did she go there? What did she gain from it? Who the fuck knows.

>What did she gain from it?
training

i expected some super secret cult of cool fucking assassins. but its just a 40 year old metalhead and his jailbait gf. she didnt even get any actual training

>Arya gets stsbbed in the gut
>is ok a few hours later with a band aid and fingerbang

Pretty much confirmed her mary sue status