Building Better Worlds

How many movies are there in the Weyland-Yutani universe?

Lots and Lots.

I don't get it. Have they ever succeeded in anything? Seems like every project they do eventually gets fucked by the Xenomorphs.

all the alien and predator movies, blade runner and arguably soldier with kurt russell

I think there's a wayland-yutani symbol in the first episode of firefly.

there's also a jupiter mining corps office on deep space nine, does that mean red dwarf and star trek are set in the same universe?

They're an incredibly big spacefaring conglomerate that makes most of its money on mining exoplanets and cost-intensive R&D on advanced proto-human synthetic androids.

and for plot reasons they always want the aliums for weapons? or i guess its because one of their founders wanted the engineers goo or the secret of life or something. thanks prometheus

But nothing about Firefly 'fits' otherwise. So it's a homage.

(Weyland-Yutani shared universe is a strange one because it's not all owned by one studio.)

>all the alien and predator movies, blade runner and arguably soldier with kurt russell
The Death Race films.

>Pretty much run most of humanity's industry
>Own entire planets
>They are a failure because a movie series dedicated to showcasing their fuck ups, and only their fuck ups shows them fucking up
That's kind of like accusing stormtroopers of being terrible shots, just because when they're not intentionally missing, they're still not hitting the protagonists (aka, the people whose death would end or change the story from what it's meant to be).

The scale of Weyland-Yutani is unparalleled. Before the canon got fucked up and so diluted (think pre-Alien 3), big WY was a corporate powerhouse that had taken humanity to the far reaches of space and back.

The only thing stopping WY from usurping the United Americas power was developing a weapon that would eat hostile areas from the inside, leaving the entity itself relatively undamaged (next to total atomic annihilation, their only other option).

It's unseen what kind of development they had planned for the xenomorph, but it's a classic tale of the ever-powerful desiring even more power.

Suburban Commando.

i like to think that westworld is in the weyland yutani multiverse. I mean it fits. plus the logo is practically the same.

> near future
> gas mining in Jupiter's atmosphere takes off in a big way
> thousands of companies in Jovian orbit
> "We can't name it 'Jupiter Mining Corporation' because people will think we're referring to 'Red Dwarf'

What the fuck is Yutani anyway

Yutani is a Japanese way of saying hot spring valley.

Yutani was a Japanese corporation known for advanced cybernetics

>not calling it "Gaseous Exoplanet Solutions"

Reminder that by the time Alien Resurrection (SE) happens, WY have been literally bought up by Walmart, and it's canon.

Outland is definitely in there somewhere

Weyland does the science and finance end
Yutani does all the cybernetics to make waifus a reality

Reminder that any film without Ron Cobb's influence isn't a true Alien film, and Ridley Scott is an autistic manchild whose success is built on the backs of everyone else

>Alien Resurrection
who cares if its canon, it's literally 200 years after all the other movies

I thought Prometheus really nailed it with the visuals and aesthetics (and even the sound). If the script had been good, it could have been a genuinely great Alien-universe film. But instead the script was like that of a shitty TV movie

Reminder that Ron Cobb is the poor man's Moebius and the creature he wanted to design for Alien looked like pic related.

>comparing the man responsible for a practical and utilitarian blue collar scifi universe with "the Dune guy"

nigga what

Damon Lindelof. All shall know his name and curse it greatly

Visuals could have been less "generic 2010s scifi" with more homage to the originals. Without the proper visual aesthetic for the technology, it just barely falls under the "accepted as canon" criteria for me.

It could've been a horrible fucking movie but I wouldn't care in the slightest if it went in the way of Isolation and based itself heavily on the design motif in the first film.

>"the Dune guy"

yeah it needed more giger

The visuals were not generic. What other movies look like Prometheus?

Granted every example I can think of came after Prometheus, but I stand by my point. I didn't watch the movie and think "Wow! It'd be so cool to see what solutions this world has to certain problems" because the technology and aesthetic of the movie is literally "haha we're researchers so we have expensive deus ex machinas that solve everything"

Everything looked like it came out of an Apple store fictional catalogue

>Everything looked like it came out of an Apple store fictional catalogue
That's not generic. It takes talent to come up with Apple-tier design aesthetics