How do you compete with this tactical genius?

How do you compete with this tactical genius?

Hire Mourinho and let him spend just as much on a bunch of dabbing darkies

Oh wait he's 15 points behind

genius la

Real question - I've tried watching soccer a few times, but I can't really see tactics making that much of a difference. Everyone just jogs back and forth. There are no real specific positions other than the goalie. What should I look for when I watch the world cup?

Rashford and Lingard were both free from the youth academy tho.

>defence was in shambles
>proceeds to improve defence
wow, what an hack la

Okay mehmet, here's what you do.
Stop watching football.

Seriously though, usually there's this midfielder who is making key passes that unlocks defences and causes errors in the defending teams shape with creates chances or half chances on goal. Generally good teams will have 1 or 2 of these players. Spain in 2010 had 3/4 (Silva Iniesta Xavi / Alonso) the dutch had 1 (Sneijder)

When a team has less creativity the tend to play defensive and put strong muscly players in defense and midfield who are organised and pacy and tall players upfront to pick up long balls to counter. This sometimes works but it's not pretty.

this is just for one season, it has to be more now.

did this american on vacation just solve football?

It all seems kinda chaotic, if you've never done any reading on football and just watch the ball, I'll give you that.

A good way to start out would be to look at the defensive side of the game at first, mainly what the team without the ball is doing. You'll find that players often assume a specific shape, that shifts over the pitch as a unit. You'll see that some players cover the space, while others cover the man. What looks like jogging at first is just the entire defensive formation shifting around the pitch to minimise the time and space of the opponent that has the ball.

When the team regains the ball (through an interception or a tackle), they'll do one of two things: break forward at speed (which is often a very chaotic and spontaneous process that you can't really plan in detail), or rapidly shift from their defensive to their offensive structure, while trying to retain the ball, until the entire thing has calmed down a bit. This is called offensive transitioning. Offensive transitions often go through specific players, that are either very fast, can keep the ball well or are good at passing to evade enemy pressure and to move the ball forward.

Let's say that the offensive transition phase has passed, and no goal has been scored. Our team in question is now in control of the ball, while the opponent is now in the defensive shape. The aim is now to break down the enemy formation to create good goalscoring chances, while not giving the the ball away like some idiot. Key things to look at here are: Who stays back to secure against a counterattack? How does the team progress up the pitch, do they play it short or are they just hoofing it to a big striker? Who are the main playmakers that distribute the ball? Where does the team create overloads to force a breakthrough? What freedom of movement do he individual players have?

I feel the same way about ice hockey

Now let's say our team fucked up and lost the ball. This phase is called defensive transitioning, and teams will either try to quickly fall back into their defensive shape or apply pressure onto the other team to limit their ability for offensive transitions. Again, this phase can be somewhat chaotic, which is why so many goals are scored on the break.

Understand how a team attacks, how it defends and how it transitions between the two phases and you've essentially figured it out. The only thing left are set pieces, but those are easier to analyse.

Regarding your comment about fixed positions, most footballers are generalists and can do most things to some degree. Many can play multiple positions. I could say things like "fullbacks are small and nimble", but then you've got coaches like Tony Pulis who just play a 2m centreback at this position, so the entire point becomes moot anyway. Depending on the tactical system of the team, players will however settle into one specific position and play there for the full match, unless the overall tactical system changes due to specific adaptations to the opponent or substitutions.

Anyway, you're probably either a burger on vacation or baiting, but I couldn't resist acting like a complete autist

>>>r/soccer

First, you must have at least average IQ to understand football. Second... unfortunately there is no second for you, DeShawn.

I hope you don't think you're qualified to discuss whiteness

t. eternal anglo

I disagree

stop watching the ball and watch the whole field

He turned your Mickey Mouse leage into a one team race. Get over it

Truly a football genius.

pleb

>offering 65 million for mahrez after spending 500 million in 18 months.

Can anyone stop this madman?

All these purchases and his best players are the ones he didn't even buy.

literally just butthurt manure bandwagoners

Has he replaced Mourinho as the top chequebook manager?

you just wait until FFP catches wind of this, someday

Mou is still dumb enough to spend 90 million on one player buy Klopp is trying to catch up.

Nope as Alexis is still the most expensive player in the League.

They'll get around it.

HOWLING at City winning the League with a lot of DECENT spending. That's how it's done, Customers. Look, respect, learn.

And Pep's done it in much shorter time than Jose. Truly a revolutionary.

>spend 233m in defenders
>man city's defense is literalshit
damn, what a genius!

He turned complete shit into the third best in the league. Conceding only 2 more than first and second place while also scoring 20 goals more

>Danilo, Kompany, Stones, Laporte, Walker, Mendy, Otamendi, Delph, Mangala
I doubt there's any club in the world that wouldn't trade their current crop of defenders for that

the purpose of the FFP is to prevent teams from bankruptcy, not to make the game fair for poorer clubs

>shit
>crippled old fart
>shit
>unknown
>sprinter
>crock
>solid 7 defender
>midfielder
>utter shit

I'll pass.

i'm sure your football manager team could beat his

fpbp