Harakiri (1962)

Has anyone else seen Harakiri? Its really good. I hope its not too obscure to discuss here.

One thing I'm still grappling with in my head is this: Did the disrespectful actions of the Iyi clan really matter? Even if they hadn't forced Motome to disembowel himself with the wooden sword, he wouldn't have been able to do anything significant for his family in the 2 or 3 days' respite he asked for - Kingo and Miho would still have died. Yes the clan were unnecessarily cruel and dishonourable, but I would have thought that the main character wouldn't think that this disrespect was worth taking half a dozen human lives for - surely he of all people would rate human life over the Bushido code's 'facade'?

they clearly mattered to his dad, so yes

He realized that the code is so hollow that those that follow it will never be free of it. He smashes the armor, an imposing and powerful figure, revealing it to be hollow, empty, and fragile. Similarly, he cuts down the samurai because to him it is his only way to truly destroy the code he hates so much: to literally kill those who follow it. Similar to Vietnam, it was a war against an idea. And the only way to win against an idea is to destroy those who believe in it. He surely knew he wouldn't succeed but he had nothing else to live for, so why not? Brilliant, angry, haunting film. Love this one very much.

I understand his desire to tell the story to the clan and I understand that he wanted them to confess to their wrongdoing so he could take their apology into the afterflife.

But he cut off the three topknots beforehand, which he knew would result in their deaths, so he intended to kill at least three people even before the Counsellor ordered his death and he killed the others out of self defense. Murdering others because of disrespect you have suffered seemed totally out of character for the character and seemed to go against the whole message of the iflm

Damn i've been meaning to get around to it ever since I watched Kwaidan

Also The Human Condition...

Well they should've at least let him say goodbye to his family one last time before he ended his life. I think it's disrespectful to not allow a man to put his things in order and saying goodbye to his friends and family before killing himself. It was his dying request and it cost the clan nothing.

I didn't enjoy Kwaidan too much, but Harakiri and The Human Condition are great.

Also, Samurai Rebellion is pretty good.

they forced his son to kill himself in the most brutal way possible. That's grounds for him wanting them all dead. They were sociopaths calling themselves honorable, and the dad was at his wits end because every nigga he knew was dead or dying. I don't think you understood the film if you think it seems out of character or goes against the message of the film

never seen this movie, but is this pre-kaishakunin? the OP photo shows kaishakunin, but the webm later shows the guy in pain.

>kaishakunin
Had to look up that word lol

There was a kaishakunin, but he refused to end him until he actually made the blade go in.

is kill bill kino?

>I hope its not too obscure
Are you kidding me? It's entry level.

>harakiri
>obscure

holy shit this board is fucking dead lmao.

you want an obscure film come discuss this with us.

interesting. will have to watch this one

Can you really blame him for thinking it's obscure when there's so many shitty threads on this board?

Yeah you're right.

At least OP put some effort into his post and is discussing a good movie rather than the regular shit topics that get replies here. He's on the right track at least

Yes. Lurking is a lost art. Kill yourself, you too OP.

>Lurking is a lost art
>He says while his posts contribute literally nothing except worn-out insults and avoiding discussing the film at all

Maybe you should take some of your own advice?

>entry-level
You're a retard who doesn't even know what this already dumb term means. 99% of this board never saw- or intend- to watch a film like this Harakiri.

They say Asians tend to make films that are more 'opaque', that is more morally Gray, depicting a society in the midst of decay. These films are theoretical, conceptual and problem-oriented, but they're framed in terms of immediate sensations.

its recommended a lot because its great