Realistically speaking, how good would top American athletes be in rugby?

Realistically speaking, how good would top American athletes be in rugby?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_players_with_chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_players_who_have_converted_from_one_football_code_to_another
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Resume of this thread: Americans will just say that their athletes are best in the world with superhuman genetics and they can dominate any sport because they are that much superior.

Out of breath on 40 seconds

Would not hire this thread based on that resume

I thought handegg was just rugby but with protective gear

a guy on my high school football team switched to rugby in college and he loved it. must not be a very difficult transition.

Pretty good probably. It’s easy to point at some fat fuck (who still has a faster 40 time than you) and laugh, but I have no doubt some linebacker who is 250lbs with 10%bodyfat would be great at rugby

Some of the dudes playing football would probably be better suited for rugby, but the guys who are amazing at football probably wouldn't be that great at rugby because one sport is primarily anaerobic while the other is somewhat aerobic.

Those upper class British faggots and Aussie bogans look like they're running through treacle. They'd get demolished if real athletes played.

They stop and rest for three minutes after every five seconds of gameplay in handegg though

kek I meant a "summary"
I got confused because summary = "resumo"

But it seems the etymology of the word is from a french word that means "summary"

they would all get red carded for illegal hits

Isn't the average height in Spain 5'8" lol? Pipe down Santiago

lol this, cunts play for 30 second then have a 3 minute break

is it legal to lead with your shoulder?

it is illegal to hit with the shoulder without also wrapping the player with your arms (or at least attempting to) and "guiding" them to the floor (i.e. keep hold of them til they hit the deck)

Sounds pretty gay desu. I guess that means American football players would be great at it.

We produce good basketball players unlike your clumsy goons. American half breeds like Simmons don't count.

cause lightly jogging is so difficult

Explosive set plays vs Real time play with much less breaks. They'd probably be good if they completely changed body types and training. But like most sports you have to play since you were a kid to actually be really good at it.

Shit.

Rugby is a game of skill and endurance; neither of which handegg athletes possess.

They are all just roided niggers running fast for 8 seconds every few min

>how good would top American athletes be in rugby?
The best in the world.

Just like we are in everything else we actually give a fuck about.

Rugby is basically shitty football played in the park

>hits are weak
>scrums are gay
>lift me up

There is a reason washed up football players try rugby and why the best rugby guys desperately try to join the NFL

Dumb nigger they try to join nfl because there's more money

>There is a reason washed up football players try rugby and why the best rugby guys desperately try to join the NFL
Money?

Pic related took a break from playing for the Pats to go to the Olympics in Rugby Sevens.

>Realistically speaking, how good would top American athletes be in rugby?
We'll never know because Americans don't play sports for peanuts.

Just bananas.

hurrr durr

The fact is American football is a tougher sport. Rugby players cant last in the league. They wash out like faggots. Rugby leagues get our football players who get cut from the NFL and even the silly CFL.

The best rugby hits highlights are seen every weekend at parks in the US where guys play pick up games of football. Rugby is for pussies

almost like one sport came from the other.

It's very interesting that you guys only give a fuck about sports that no one else gives a fuck about.

rugby players dont wear head or neck protection my man

>Literally covers his body in padding
>Says rugby is pussies
Que?

>Rugby leagues get our football players
er, like who exactly? i cant name any top american rugby players playing in any of the top leagues

We care about
>American football
>Basketball
>Baseball
>Hockey
>???
>Soccer

The world doesnt play our football because they are pussies

We dominate basketball its not even fair

For baseball its rough because our best MLB players dont usually compete internationally because the best players already funnel into our leagues.

Hockey. We arent the best but we still enjoy it

Soccer gets our 4th or 5th best athletes so why bother lol

You need the padding you faggot. Most NFL tackles and hits are illegal in bitch rugby.

Maybe use some deductive logic as to why those tackles are illegal

The world don't play your football for the same reason your country doesn't play pesäpallo. We have no exposure to it. People here don't even know Tom Brady. Things are changing and it's getting more popular and all or so I read.

so the ideal football player for rugby would be a linebacker or defensive end, based on their tackling style.

I deduce that rugby players dont like the hard hits and make them illegal

Even "Rugbys Greatest Hits" is bitch shit.

>American iq

>Aussies questioning others IQ
>lose war to birds that can’t even fly

>IF NO VERY SMASH CTE ME NO LIKE

It’s fine to be opposed to the brutality of hits in football, but you can’t at the same time call it a pussy sport because they wear pads. That’s cognitive dissonance

>because the pads allow my brain to rattle and i can keep playing means i'm tough

yeh probably, i can see a linebacker making a good back row forward, the role is similar

>because I’m not wearing pads while the other player gives me a bear hug and gently lowers me to the ground as we gaze long into each other’s eyes, I’m tough

Brain injuries constitute about maybe 1, or 5% of all injuries in the NFL. It takes a brutal toll on the body from head to turf toe.

a recent study found that 70% of american men who played americna football had CTE

pads were a mistake being pussies backfired on you

Handegg players have shit stamina. They'd gas before the first half even ended.

most of that research was probably done on old timers who played when teams were only passing 15 times per game. all players were expected to be blockers back then.

The Gasol Brothers. Wow, Spain truly is innumerable in its basketball talent.

>admitting the NFL generates more than a “world” sport

Adegg is full of ads

kek keep changing those gold posts

real men play soccer without shinpads

It's 'goal posts'. Lurk a little longer until you can speak English.

semantics

Credit where credit is due, we bred our farm equipment that way.

Divegrass is full of dives

>This™ ameripost™ was™ brought™ to™ you™ by™ Pepsi™

Sample bias. The brains they studied were all donated by guys who had symptoms of CTE. It's like going to an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting to take a survey with the goal of finding out how many people are alcoholics.

you know they can test for CTE without having to use cadavers right?

The fat as fuck goes might be ok as a prop I guess.
Rugby needs players who can run a lot more than yank football, so most would struggle I guess.

Literally what American rugby players?
Your national team is shit.

Fake news.

leave the patriots to me

>elite athletes who spend all offseason exercising like it's a fulltime job for football would be unable to adjust their training program to fit the higher cardio demands of rugby
wew

why you so invested in this did you play football? got a bit of the CTE jitters brah

do you get the shakes, forget things?

DBs could probably make good fullbacks as well, tight end maybe 8 or centre? The easiest transistion would probably be DE/LB to flanker though.

When you get blatantly proven wrong, you should really just leave the thread.

You're the one showing impaired cognitive functions, Miroslav.

The top athletes of pretty much any country can get to the major leagues of just about any sport with the right development. This is an idiotic question.

They fooled you. It's actually safer than golf.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_players_with_chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy

i think you guys should watch the movie concussion again

just get rid of the pads and be men about it

soccer is a real mans sport

Cardio is only part of it really. Having played both the demands are very different even in similar positions (D-line and second/back row, where I played). In rugby the tackles are a bit softer but you get hurt more because of rucks, when you get over the ball you basically have people shoulder charging you in your upper back at full tilt and you get stamped on a lot (not necessarily deliberately)

>NFL
oh nonononoononoononoononononoononononononnonoonnoononoonononoononoonononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononono

>every few min
stop trying to talk about things you clearly know nothing about

I feel like Rugby League would be a lot easier for a gridiron player to transition to than Rugby Union. More similarities in the rules and strategies.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_players_who_have_converted_from_one_football_code_to_another

Yeah just that league is like rts compared to gridiron turn based

Soccer, now you're just trolling.

Why do people think football players have bad cardio? Even in youth and HS football conditioning is a huge focus. When I played we would run Texas miles and field long suicides everyday after practice. In our off season we would use the excercise bike for at least 30 min before and after our workout. I was a O-lineman and I was doing all that as well.

do you see them wearing pads like faggots?

Because people don’t see much cardiovascular activity in games so assume they have bad cardio. Which is silly because that means most Olympic track athletes have terrible cardio too

No but I do see them gently falling to the ground with each other in the midst of an embrace while whispering sweet nothings into their ears.

Most olympic track athletes don't purposefully overeat and bulk up like linemen though so the perception will always be different

yeah which is not dissimilar to every nfl play where they grope each other and if the ball is in dispute they form a scrum and put their fingers up other players asses

The elite ones would dominate. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a clown. Soccer is the only more competitive sport

Don't forget the spandex so the fans (who pretend to be macho) can literally masturbate to their physique.

Arnt only arm tackles allowed?

7s is a meme game for fijians and faggots who don't watch rugby to dress up for.

It is pretty dissimilar actually. It’s obvious you haven’t played either of them but as someone who has let me break down how.

In rugby when you get tackled you’re essentially getting wrapped up and pulled to the ground. In football someone is turning their body into a missile and trying to end your life. When someone is tackling you in rugby, you’re essentially trying to stay on your feet as long as possible and fall in an appropriate position to keep the game going. In football you’re trying your best not to have the wind knocked from you at the very least.

I have no doubt rugby players are superior all around athletes but the idea that they’re “tougher” because they’re not wearing pads is ridiculous and reeks of ignorance. I have only ever heard rugby players talking shit about football, which reeks of insecurity when football players don’t whine about how they’re tougher than rugby players

Depends what you're doing at flanker, if you're a Northern team then yeah they'd do fine but for the Southern teams who mostly use quick and crafty flankers that survive off motor, ditryness and technique then it's probably too much to pick up.

no the difference is american football players think their tough when the rest of the world thinks they were pads and are gay because of it

stay gay

Then you also get headbutted and stuff if contesting. Also, if someone is trying to hurt you in a ruck and not going for possession they can REALLY fuck you up. Eye rakes, stomps, knees, elbows, headbutts etc. are really easy to hide.

Lmao

Yep. I got flattened a lot more playing American Football but rugby can get very painful. I've taken the ball in a lineout and had my oppisite number try to rip my bollocks off, in gridiron the dirtiest thing I've seen is cut blocking

You play in a rivalry game in australia amongst teams that aren't filled with posh cunts from sydney or brisbane and it's fucking brutal. Every ruck is just dudes trying to hurt or frustrate the best player in the ruck. Twisting ankles or arms or anything.

It's more to do of when you use said stamina, because some teams will grind you down over the course of 80 minutes and if they've got a good half they'll run it at you the second you take a bit too long to get back onside or when you're out of position because you didn't want to run the extra 15 metres and there's a mismatch. Gregan is the GOAT scrum half despite not having many great highlight plays and the reason he's so great is his ability to control the pace of a game. It's the most important factor in rugby besides discipline.

>Realistically speaking
Remember when that MMA fighter (colin mcgregor) challenged an elite boxer to a boxing match? Do you remember how vastly outmatched the MMA fighter was? Well if you answered 'yes', then you already know the answer to your question.

Football athletes would be terrible at rugby. Basketball athletes would be terrible at rugby. Baseball athletes would be terrible. We do have rubgy players here...I've seen them on TV (Rugby 7s). Our rugby players don't match up well with the rest of the world for the same reason our soccer players don't match up well with the rest of the world...very few people care about the sport.

tl;dr Our top athletes would be terrible compared to the rest of the world because they don't play rugby.

Please stop obsessing about us.

>top american athletes
OK so Americans have many favourite sports

>American footie
>baseball
>basketball
>tracks and fields

Those are the main 4 in terms of participation (athletes pool). No, hockey isn't an American main sport by all accounts (but *incomes*)

You ask about American athletes performance in RUGBY

What skills are required in rugby?
mainly
>Stamina
>Strength
>ball handling
>Acceleration
>top Speed
>kicking

Ok so now we want Americans athletes with a lot of stamina, really. An insane amount of stamina and strength

You'll find these guys in track and field, sprint divisions