If full body prosthetics are possible, doesn't that kind of separate consciousness from race and make race immaterial...

If full body prosthetics are possible, doesn't that kind of separate consciousness from race and make race immaterial? She couldve been African, Finnish, Mongolian, or anything else before she was put in the body seen in the movie

Claims of whitewashing aside, she actually looks like the major from the ghost in the shell anime show and movies, so why is it a problem?

Other urls found in this thread:

mitpressjournals.org/doi/10.1162/jocn.2010.21513
dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2010.01.111
dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0013642
twitter.com/AnonBabble

your a rasist

People are actually butthurt that she wasn't synthesized into a black woman?

Jesus christ, suicide when?

FUCK WHITE PEOPLE

No, they wanted the actress to be asian

Probably because that's their excuse for not casting an Asian. And its everyone else' excuse for not casting an Asian too.
>She could be literally ANYTHING
>so OF COURSE she is going to be white
This is what that comes down to 99% of the time in Hollywood, mostly because the biggest draws tend to be white.
Casting a Japanese actress would not have, on its own, saved this film. But we all know why ScarJo was cast and it aint because she was the actress best suited to the job. It's because she has been in movies that made a lot of money.
People were upset because despite the fact that this was a real opportunity to cast an Asian actress in a leading role, they decided not to, pretty much completely for financial reasons. It got leaked that they were doing tests with CGI to chinc up people's eyes in the movie to make them look more Asian. They said ScarJo wasn't involved but I think we can safely say that's bullshit, they never even denied that they tried it out, just that they used it on her. Seeing as how she is the only reason the crowds who don't like anime would go, it's pretty clear they tried to have their box-office cake and give the fans their Jap-Major too.

Sup Forums will defend this glib facsimile just because SJWs hate it. Sad! Many such cases of this!

If you are going to americanize it go all the way. Set the movie in murrica, cast burger actors true to the orignal chacarcters and give them usa names. They half assed it which just hurt an already shitty looking movie.

It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy, there aren't any really famous Asian actresses outside of Japan because nobody casts them because they aren't famous.

>Claims of whitewashing aside, she actually looks like the major from the ghost in the shell anime show and movies, so why is it a problem?
Motoko Kusanagi is not a white name, you're seeing a character and projecting your own unconscious biases onto them. Ask an Asian person what ethnicity they think she looks like and they'll say Japanese.

Well put. In the end, Hollywood isn't racist at all really. It's just all about money for them. If an Asian actress would have attracted the same crowds as ScarJo, she likely would have been cast.

If the people that made her in the movie were trying to completely separate her from her past life, wouldn't it make sense to change her significantly, even going to so far as to change her race? That's how the writers justified it right?

> doesn't that kind of separate consciousness from race and make race immaterial
No.
There have been observed morphological differences between Caucasian and Chinese individuals in the frontal, parietal, and temporal brain regions.

mitpressjournals.org/doi/10.1162/jocn.2010.21513
dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2010.01.111

Research has shown some biological differences in brain anatomy among ethnic groups.
dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0013642

>Character lives in Japan
>Character has Japanese name
>Character speaks only Japanese
I do not understand how people think that these characters are meant to be white, by default. The way manga artists choose to stylize their characters is how they want to depict their own people. Large expressive eyes to easily depict emotion and encourage connection to the characters and light skin(mostly) because it complies with traditional Japanese standards of beauty. Characters who are meant to be beautiful like most women will be lighter and a lot of men and uglier women will be darker.
This would have been a good opportunity for Rinko Kikuchi from Pacific Rim or even Jessica Henwick from GoT/Iron Fist. Henwick was shit in GoT but Iron Fist proved that she can act if she isn't having shit lines thrown at her.

Exactly, corporations are not moral or amoral. They are immoral, they don't give a fuck about anything but money. I still think its stupid to believe that audiences would reject a movie just because the lead was Asian or something inherently but I don't have whatever stats they probably have on this subject.

And here we go again with the usual propaganda (that doesn't actually mean what the propaganda agents want it to mean).

This thread is full of calm, rational, and reasonable arguments. I don't know how to handle that. Cant you guys just call each other faggots like everyone else?

>I still think its stupid to believe that audiences would reject a movie just because the lead was Asian or something inherently but I don't have whatever stats they probably have on this subject

Congrats, you aren't a racist piece of shit!

>Henwick was shit in GoT but Iron Fist proved that she can act if she isn't having shit lines thrown at he
Nothing about her performance in Iron Fist ever really grabbed me but I think that has more to do with the show in general being a massive pile of shit

There were a number of people in that show I know were held back by shit material. Ward was the only one with a cohesive arc to his character desu
Anyway, Jessica Henwick was fine for what she was given, that's probably the best way to put it. In every interview I've seen she was really enthusiastic and genuinely wanted to play the character which is more than I can say for the retard who was show-runner.

>Dubs of Truth
>Dubs of Truth
>Trips of Rationality
wtf is happening in this thread?

It wouldn't be a problem if they had stuck to the source material which had full body prosthetics as a common thing and didn't explicitly state the Major's race. But for some reason they decided to write a story about how a Japanese girl's original race was literally stolen from her as she was forced into this one of a kind white body which people then keep calling beautiful and shit.

>Large expressive eyes
>Fair/light skin
>Japanese beauty standard

These beauty standards sound like they're for white people

samefagging

What baffles me is that they knew about the controversy and still decided to put something this tone deaf in the movie.

People who don't have to toil in the fields have lighter skin than those who do.

The eyes are for emotion and connection like I said and the lighter skin being a tradition sign of beauty in Japan is something you can easily look up yourself, its goes back a long time.
nah

>She couldve been African, Finnish, Mongolian, or anything else before she was put in the body seen in the movie
but she was never any of those things in the manga or anime.

This, the same way that chicks being THICC was once a measure of beauty in Europe. Just a status symbol like tons of others around the world.

No, the Wachowskis didn't direct it.

>If full body prosthetics are possible, doesn't that kind of separate consciousness from race and make race immaterial?

Ostensibly, yes. If such technology existed, it would represent a dramatic paradigm shift in things like ethnic & cultural identity. However, there are real-world considerations. When you have the plot literally take a Japanese girl's brain, plug it into a Nordic woman's body and give it a Western identity, you're sending all sorts of messages in the here & now even if you don't realize it (which they apparently didn't). It is *literally* erasure of non-white identity.

>Claims of whitewashing aside, she actually looks like the major from the ghost in the shell anime show and movies, so why is it a problem?

I swear, trying to explain these things is like trying to explain a rainbow to a blind man.

>tends to be white
No they tend to be jews who look like white people.

Fair enough.