Why do liberals hate the new joker movie...

Why do liberals hate the new joker movie? It's about how we should treat the lower class and mentally ill better and put more money into healthcare. It's also about how some people cant help themselves and need someone else to and the bad guy is a rich business man who wants to become a politician and all of his supporters in the media are also bad guys who make the joker go crazier, this a liberal's wet dream so why are they shitting on it?

Attached: ra4x91z6vjo11.jpg (794x794, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/10/07/entertainment/gary-glitter-joker-movie-song-trnd/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bump

Thoughts incoming

bump for interest

Attached: 1512278048150.jpg (960x720, 74K)

So yeah, OP, the points you make are all things I would also expect bleeding heart liberals to go for—unfortunately, I think some of the most important aspects of the film go over the audience’s head.

At it’s core, it’s a movie about mental illness, and how society let down a guy who needed help, partly because HE had a mental illness, partly because his mother had a mental illness, and partly because medical professionals and lay men didn’t know how to recognize or treat those. Arthur was pulling hard hours trying to provide for his mother, but between not being all that bright, having to deal with hallucinations, having a tic that makes people think he’s just a giggling maniac, and having to take time out of the day to go to medical appointments, AND being on seven (fucking SEVEN) medications and their side effects that no doctor could be arsed to sort out and trim down, he was doomed to have a miserable life at best, or at worst wind up in exactly the path of violence he did. That’s nothing to say of the very clear signs of depression (especially anhedonia), and multiple unanswered cries for help.

All of that is an extremely realistic portrayal of the challenges of schizophrenic and other related disorders; but, as a DC comics movie, many people are just going into it looking for a comics movie, and that’s all they see.

Continued.

Complete agreement, shit like this can happen in real life.

I have heard literally no one say they dislike the joker movie on moral/message grounds. I've heard people say it's a bit shallow, surface-level, but otherwise everyone in my very liberal college town seems to have liked it.

Cont.

Separately, the movie illustrates a more modern real-world phenomenon, where the concept of “The Joker” exists, and angry people who feel oppressed (or at least suppressed/silenced) start using him as an icon to rally behind in an attempt to overthrow the man and make themselves feel empowered. In the movie, Arthur never intended any of that, and accidentally finds himself as the head of a clown movement that didn’t actually exist—much like jaded people on Sup Forums started using Pepe and later clown memes as a joke, then Sup Forums adopted them as a political joke, then the media took the joke seriously and assumed that Sup Forums was some kind of organized movement, then people who fell for the joke and AGREED with it became the Alt Right movement (or maybe they didn’t—I’m still not convinced there’s a large enough number of people who truly believe the things on Sup Forums they claim to believe to actually be a “movement”). In Joker, the movement was already primed to go, it just needed an icon—much like the left wing needs an enemy that is “literally worse than hitler” and saw people posting clown memes.

Continued.

Liberals hate it because it didn't cause any of the mass shootings that they were hoping for.

Cont.

Another related topic which the movie touches on (frankly, it is almost obligated to do so) is the idea of individual, violent vigilantes drawing inspiration from other incarnations of The Joker. “We live in a society” memes aside, there were two major known mass shooters in the past 10 years who cited Heath Ledger’s Joker as an inspiration or role model for their actions, and another several lesser reported shooters who referenced or had a collection of Joker memorabilia. These were undoubtedly sick individuals who, like Arthur, really could have used some help from those around them.
Arthur is a murderer; there’s no getting around that, even though he never deserved any of what his life threw at him. The movie tries to show a decent into madness so that the audience can sympathize with him, and personally I think it does so very well; but, the entire time I’m watching Joaquin Phoenix laugh and sob throughout the film, what I see is a sick, unfortunate man who has fallen through the cracks of welfare and poverty, and whom we as a society have let down. Yet, in the climax, the newly developing followers of what will be the Joker Gang position him atop a car hood as a Christ-like figure, looking to him for guidance as he comes to full consciousness and acquiesces to lead in his new role. Like the IRL shooters, these gang members are looking for inspiration and guidance from a figure who was never intended, and never wanted, to be a figurehead for violence.

Continued.

CNN would love for the gamers rise up icon to inspire a mass shooting but now that nothing has happened all they can go on is that one song is written by a pedo

Attached: psxbt71uad411.jpg (598x920, 72K)

Oh god i cringe so fucking hard at this pic. Ew.

why do faggots try so hard to analyze this movie like they even have a worthwhile opinion?
it's not that deep

I love how fallout 3 is an "ancient game" when it made 10 years ago

>your opinion doesn't matter
Neither does yours friend

Attached: artwork.jpg (749x749, 89K)

Maybe because the majority of your encounters with liberals happen behind a screen.

What song is that? I live under a rock.

where the liberals are played by larping incels

Cont.

In conclusion, the movie attempts to illustrate several social injustices which have been (historically accurate) problems with availing mental health care since mental health became a discipline of study, and to present them in a light which is both relatable AND palatable to as many people as possible, not only in terms of being politically correct, but in a very specifically politically CHARGED environment (fueled, no less, in a small way by pre-existing movies and comics about the goddamn Joker). Part of the reason people aren’t more MAD about it is because it had to tiptoe so carefully around so many issues its forebears created to avoid being reamed by critics and audiences, that many of the metaphors go completely unrecognized by the audience.

Joaquin Phoenix did a fantastic job with the role, and Todd Phillips took a very risky direction which paid off solely due to their attention to a minefield of current events and political topics. I think they worked hard to ask the audience difficult questions, and hopefully got a few audience members to want to make our “Gotham” a better place, not as Batmen or Waynes, but as therapists, employers, neighbors—people who couldn’t put the Joker in jail, but people who could have stopped Arthur from becoming the Joker.

It pains me that I have to hide my power level about how much I loved this movie, since—even though this is a TOPIC of this very film—a single, white male with hints of depression gushing over a film not just about a sad clown who becomes violent, but specifically the Joker, no less, is a pattern that makes people nervous in this day and age.
And, like watching the film, that fact doesn’t anger me, it saddens me and makes me disappointed in how we got to that situation.

Most liberals I know either say that the movie could cause a shooting because someone on the edge could be tipped over or that they don't like it because it's an incel movie, a few liberals I know liked it but most didn't or refused to watch the movie

still didn't answer my question

Main character is white man and white man bad.

The answer is because it's fun, you know what that is right?

Attached: .com.google.Chrome.jpg (452x803, 81K)

Did a lot better of a job reviewing the movie than most critics

whatever floats your boat man doesn't sound like much fun to me

Here's the link to the CNN article
google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/10/07/entertainment/gary-glitter-joker-movie-song-trnd/index.html

do you do analyses often this is great i got the idea in my head but couldn't really put it into words which you seem to have done so easily

Thanks user.
(My mom used to say I’d have to work for a living, but I said, “No Ma, I’m gonna be a film critic.”)

You're welcome but could you help me out, I can't reach the door handle

Attached: 6u3400drv8s21.jpg (500x615, 60K)

I don’t frequently write my impression of things down, that’s just how I tend to approach stories—I want to be entertained or wallow in some feels, and I want there to be more films, games, etc. that show how to be a better person, and why we need it.

Thanks for the kind words. If you have an impression of something you think tells an important message, or for that matter if YOU have a message to tell, don’t let the fear that you can’t do it justice with words stop you from trying.

Practice typing out your thoughts so you can get them out of your head and on paper; it’s easier to re-arrange and organize points in a way that drives them home in a readable, non-obnoxious way if you have at least a set of bullet points you want to cover, then you can arrange related points together and add fancy words afterwards.

I don’t recommend wasting your time on arguments here or anywhere else on the internet, but low-intensity debates on Sup Forums are a good way to practice getting better at writing. (Just back away whenever it becomes apparent that the other guy isn’t listening or starts turning it into a yelling/name-calling match).

There’s no point to having freedom of speech if you let fear stop you from speaking, and there’s no point to exercising that freedom if you can’t communicate your thoughts. You can do it, user. I wasn’t always able to shit out things like this and get my points across, it comes with practice.

Liberals dont know what they want and cant think for themselves so they follow trends without any info

The Joker was a fine movie. It was neat. It featured mental illness. It was another take on the Joker character. But it just honestly wasn't that deep.

People were nervous before it released that it might glorify violence, or try to justify violence with romantic rejection, but it doesn't really do that. The violence committed by Fleck is far from glorified - the audience feels unease, shock, or disgust more so than any feelings justice or triumph or similar.

All the liberals I know (and I live in a metro college town, I know a lot) honestly liked the movie, for a lot of reasons mentioned by OP: the message of the movie is one of supporting the less wealthy, mentally ill, or otherwise downtrodden.

Everyone that I know who's seen it praises Phoenix's performance.

The primary complaint I hear (and which I tend to agree with) is that it's all surface level. It throws out references like candy. It might feature mental illness, but doesn't do a whole lot with it. It displays socioeconomic unrest, but only barely, and doesn't explore the deeper connections or ramifications.

It functions great as a character study, and waves at some interesting ideas. And Phoenix did a fantastic job with his portrayal. On the whole, it was a reasonably good movie. And that's what everyone I know has been saying.

I honestly don't know where the idea that people, liberals in particular, dislike the movie comes from.

Not bad points. I think a part of the reason it seems superficial is because it tries to cram in a lot of examples for the things it covers—mental illness? Okay, here’s too many pills, and not being able to afford them, and self-discontinuing, and going through withdrawal, and hearing voices, and being unable to feel joy, and cognitive impairment, and impaired judgement, and tics, and interpersonal relationship problems, and...—so each topic has little time to explore and comes off as shallow, when you could make separate films about each category of problem and go way deeper. But fitting that into screentime for one film, and mounting enough tragedy and hardships to make a sympathetic villain character when that villain is known ahead of time to become a truly sadistic killer and ganglord (and, as you indicated, without glorifying that) means a LOT of tragedy and a lot of contrived circumstances.
The counterpoint I would offer is that most movies that try to cram more in than they can chew do so to try to real in more audience members for their normiebucks, and I didn’t get the sense that they were throwing in more shit in that desperate bid to draw in more fans. It seemed like they really were just trying to build a case.

(If you work with mental illness in real life, they actually do a shitton with it all throughout the movie—a lot of the weird things Phoenix does are classic to various diseases, mostly in the schizo spectrum, but also with learning disabilities and tics from getting beaten as a kid. All the problems he faces are the things that real mental health patients struggle with in terms of getting/keeping jobs, maintaining their appointments, accessing their medications, and understanding that they have to keep taking them even once they feel better. I’d argue it went super deep with the challenges of dealing with “mental illness,” it just kinda blended together some diseases that run hand in hand, and some that don’t.)

I am *so* tired of stories about mentally ill people acting out violently. There are no movies about mentally ill people minding their own business and just living their lives just trying not to hurt themselves, because that kind of realism is boring as fuck.

Another movie showing the dangers of not restraining and medicating a mentally ill pserson before he can hurt others? Yeah, great, thanks I hate it.

This movie is litterally a call to anarchy and revolution wtf you talking about?
Loved it btw

I felt like Liberals hate it too, but I realize that it wasn’t the roar of active hatred that I was hearing, it was the deafening silence.
People aren’t talking about it that much, and I’m so used to CNN sucking Marvel films’ cocks and going on and on about box ratings for stronk independent Ghostbuster reboots and Spiderman being a brave gay black latino, that I took the silence as poor reception.

For marvel, sure. But this was a DC movie bro. Last couple DC movies sucked fuckin ass.

I felt like the vast majority of the film was about the dude trying to just live his life without causing trouble. Everything he did was reactionary—there was never a “the voices made me do it” moment, there was just people beating the shit out of him in an empty subway and learning that his mother let him get literally slapped stupid for some easy dick.
(And then later leaving it open whether he killed his girlfriend, I guess, but even that was while he was coming off of psychotropic drugs, which is more of a “poor regulation and stewardship of pills is dangerous” message than a “crazy people are dangerous” message.)

I dunno, maybe I had different expectations, but if anything I thought it was more at risk for going too far in the opposite direction—“mentally unstable people are only ever victims and can’t be held accountable, it’s the rest of the world who should fix everything.” But I think it was a fair portrayal of what struggles mentally ill people have to face, and how/why it’s hard for society to recognize and get them the help they need when they’re too far gone, or too poor to afford care, or too bad with words to explain what’s going on/what they need.

>Ancient gamer
>Halo 3

Attached: 1410659702673.jpg (558x564, 48K)

This, liberals and kikes can't have a movie where the main character is a white Male that suffers from poverty and mental illness. Almost all of the petty government bureaucrats are black as well. Like the record clerk and the psychiatrist.

They're scared the lost people will do something with their lost lives, they're literally afraid they'll get what they deserve for helping to cause what they've caused. You can see it the shit media, we haven't seriously suggested violence against them but they already fear it. A thief's fortress has it's only entrance facing the west so that the rising sun would be in their eyes, a thief always fears thievery most of all.

Attached: 1571309275765.png (583x650, 286K)

the hate it beacause the joker sets himself free from what society thinks. He makes his own law and embracess his way of beeing. Liberals are totally the oposite. They hate themselves, they envy others and they depend on society.