When watching anime, be it GitS or Ghibli, or some big eyed overly sexualised meme show, do you prefer subs, or dubs?

When watching anime, be it GitS or Ghibli, or some big eyed overly sexualised meme show, do you prefer subs, or dubs?

I personally prefer dubs

dubs, alot of anime comes from appreciating the art(I don't watch big eyed waifu trash) This is especially true in ghibli's case. Obviously this is only true when the dubs are good.

dude you suck at this, here watch

subs are by and large better than english dubs

He's right

Impressive

Serious response, it depends on the anime.

If it's something distinctly Japanese I prefer subs, but if it's something in a more fantasy context or just not something very serious, I don't mind a dub.

Heck, every so often a dub is actually better than the sub, I couldn't imagine NOT watching Cowboy Bebop dubbed for example, it's that good.

And it's not alone, there's a lot of very well done dubs that are perfectly fine to watch, I actually like the Ghibli dubs because they're professionally done.

Plus, while I don't mind reading subtitles, it is kinda nice not having to.

Bottom line, I don't understand why people make it into a "one or the other" issue.

>I couldn't imagine NOT watching Cowboy Bebop dubbed for example, it's that good.

Did you mean you couldn't watch it subbed? Because the subs for both it and champloo were great.

It varies.
Dubs are terrible more often than not, so I usually go with subs nowadays. Still, some dubs equal or exceed the subs.

The original voice acting, whatever language it is, is usually be the best with the highest quality and intent and matches the animation/characters more closely.

There are only a few examples of very high quality dubs, such as Nausicaa's dub.

i meant the dubs for both were good

this is difficult to discuss

>watching anime
dub removes element of joke for burger simplicity.

reeeeeeeeeee

What I mean is, the dub for Bebop is so good I don't see the point in watching it subtitled.

Always subs
Always

If it's something about cute Japanese school girls or just distinctly Japanese in some way, I go for subs.

If it's fantasy or science fiction I don't care, I usually go with the dub unless it's terrible.

Then why do you get dubs?

sub is always preferable but dubs like samurai champloo and cowboy bebop are pretty good

What about something like Hellsing where it's actually set in the UK and makes more sense for it to be in English than Japanese?

They even went as far as to get British actors and actresses to voice most of the roles.

There's also an anime from the 90s called Gunsmith Cats which was set in Chicago.

R.O.D The TV also has one of the best dubs I've ever heard.

For Ghibli films I feel Disney really puts a good effort in their choice of VAs.

I preferred the voices given to characters in Spirited Away. Especially the lead girl, some lines were a bit rushed due to trying to lip sync but she gave more emotion to the role than the Jap VA.

If it's something goofy or cheesy I think dubs make it funnier.

For a recent example there's Keijo, which is much funnier in English.

Whats this please
Random numbers brother

Michael Keaton was great as Porco Rosso.

Samurai Champloo.

Its Samurai Champloo

samurai champloo

wew

Depends on the show and the performance. For example I prefer the dub of cowboy bebop because their voices seem to match their character better than the sub while their are other anime that I prefer sub for the same reason.