Why were they even ever a couple?

Why were they even ever a couple?

Was skimming through this movie for the first time last night, and their relationship wasn't endearing at all. On the one hand, Joel was an introverted, patient and rational being, and on the other, Clem was a spastic, passionate and impulsive loon. This would never work.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codependency
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

easy to relate with him

I know. I mean, it's almost as if they're flawed human beings and not washed up movie tropes.

Eh, I guess, but I'd also never get with a girl that was so much on the polar opposite to me, so I didn't really care for his struggle to keep his memories of her.

Maybe I don't empathize enough, but it almost seemed like it would've been better if they forgot about each other. Their relationship is going nowhere.

>"not washed up movie tropes."
>couple need some degree of similarity to work is now a movie trope
Sure, they're interesting characters, and not that's what I'm rebelling against, but their relationship is also something that I can't "buy", and that annoys me when otherwise the movie is flawless.

Literally tumblr: the movie

>it almost seemed like it would've been better if they forgot about each other. Their relationship is going nowhere.
That's literally discussed in the fucking movie you retard

... Only for them to end up trying again.
Your point here being?

They share a lot more than memories, that's why they drawn to each other again. They deserve another chance at least in my opinion. Jim regrets trying to forget her mid ways the therapy. He has seen all the bad moments and some of the decent ones they had together but he thinks it's worth it (which is the whole gimmick of the film, it's like Benjamin Button of relationships)
They also kinda know their mistakes now.

Hmm, I guess I see now. I'll leave this movie some more time to sink in, and might rewatch it scoping out the specifics you're giving.

Thanktchu.

funny thing i "ended up" with girls like those for a too short time, and like in the movie, only the bitches were bitches and thought ut wouldn't work. It would've though.

>skimming through

what did he mean by this?

This is technically a good film but the ending message is so unhealthy that i end up hating it.
You cant just acknolage personality flaws and think that makes up for an effectivly abusive relationship, life donesnt work like that

>skimming through

Unironically, please fucking kill yourself

What about it?

I can only agree.

you don't understand what "love" is.

>never had a gf
>dont know what love is

ya i never experienced that biology

"read (something) quickly"

ok so you either sped up the movie or couldn't stop looking at your phone for more than 10 seconds at a time. you should stop doing that and pay attention. have you ever read a book for pleasure? no, not listen to an audiobook while you play LoL but actually pay attention and read all the words in a book? you are basically degrading the quality of any form of media when you do that multi-tasking or "I speed up movies to 1.25 speed cuz I have ADD LOL" shit. no surprise that most posters are retards

They probably mean that you can't make fair judgements about something when skimming through.

She's what a manic pixie dream girl in real life is. A complete mess

Not to mention the fact that Joel burned out a lot of extra brain cells. Maybe he's a better person without all his weird unconscious shit.

Ignore him, it's a meme.

>On the one hand, Joel was an introverted, patient and rational being, and on the other, Clem was a spastic, passionate and impulsive loon

Sounds like my last relationship, she even had blue hair.
She was addicted to smoking heroin though, and we always argued and she did things to hurt me, but I couldn't help but go back.

Now she left the state and I can't help but yearn for her, yet wish I could forget it all.

Should I watch this movie? Or will the feels break me?

I'd say wait until you've found someone else since at the end you might feel like getting back together, which doesn't really seem like a good idea

>she was addicted to smoking heroin

I ha d a similar relationship. it was 2010. She was the quirky aleternachick punky and fiesty. Hell of a lot fun. Fall madly in love. Move in. Cheats on me. Leaves me nearly homeless.

I'll jump to the point. Joel loved Clem way more than he loved himself. Clem is basically incapable of loving Joel as deeply. That's also killing her. It is basically- shitty codependency: the movie. If you ever experienced that kind of thing you get this sadbastard movie.

But Joel putting her on a pillar is ALSO causing her to lash out and distance herself from him because of her inherent low self esteem. It's such a fucked up relationship and it's beautifully portrayed.

Ya sounds like I'd end up blowing my brains out if I watched it in this frame of mind.

I'm gonna go drink till I forget, thanks m8s

If Clementine ever met someone like herself it would be over in 5 minutes

If Joel ever met anyone like himself it would never go anywhere

Ah boys, I just put that in there because it's a fancier word than "watching"... There wasn't any real meaning to it, and I did sit still for the 2 hours of the movie.

Well, I guess that that also makes sense indeed.

she was exciting and spontaneous in ways that he could never be by himself. when you're with someone like that you feel inspired to be a more interesting you, which makes you feel good about yourself (until you get to know the real person behind the manic pixie dream girl and it's an unsustainable relationship and yadda yadda yadda)

relationships aren't founded on two people having identical personalities and interests???

Wasn't Joel in a boring relationship with some girl before he met Clementine?

Because I think that was one of the things that attracted to her.

Codependency

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codependency

>Commonly cited symptoms of codependency are
>intense and unstable interpersonal relationships
>inability to tolerate being alone, accompanied by frantic efforts to avoid being alone
>chronic feelings of boredom and emptiness
subordinating one's own needs to those of the person with whom one is involved
>overwhelming desire for acceptance and >affection
>perfectionism
>over-controlling
>external referencing
>dishonesty and denial
>manipulation
>lack of trust
>low self-worth.

Well, that was certainly self revealing