Old, or new?

Old, or new?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4u6KXFN9dIg
youtu.be/OPdDdC4go6c?t=20s.
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Always Tim Curry

New one looks a little too edgy imo, but hopefully the movie is good

Old. Tim Curry is a legend and the new one falls into a category of tryhard that only horror movies can even approach. New Pennywise is the JasonX of Jasons (thematically).

Curry's is closer to how he was described in the book, not to mention much creepier looking. The new one likes like it was brainstormed by some edgelord try-hard, barely even looks like a clown.

Old, without a doubt. The new is cringy.

Haven't heard the new one talk yet. Can't really say yet.

>but hopefully the movie is good

You're a huge optimist you know

Old,?
I want to critique the movie for my own personal reasons.

Clowns mildly scare me.

Nu-Pennywise looks like he's wearing a dress.

Remember that one scene with Stan and his bird book and he goes into the house and sees pennywise in oldclown costume wrapped in gauzes or something. That's what they were going for.
Someone screen shot my post.
Not even kidding around or joking.

Neither of them have the sex scene so neither.

Going by designs, they're both good in their own ways.

1990's was a simple but effective party clown and it was reflected in Curry's performance. Whereas the 2017's emphasize the age of It as a creature hence the old-fashioned clown suit. The new suit also does a great job of showing off the creepy lanky proportions of the actor portraying Pennywise.

I think the original was a little more uh

How do you say

SUBTLE

This is Pepsi Marketing division tier rationalizing something bad as good.

the ending in the original movie was so bad. I hope they go in a different direction for the new one.

Neither

IT wasn't even good

>they're both good in their own ways.

No.

One is good, the other is bad. There's no two ways about it.

>The new one likes like it was brainstormed by some edgelord try-hard, barely even looks like a clown.

Not an argument.

Fine, 1990s Pennywise is a boring circus clown and 2017s Pennywise is a creepy and original old fashioned clown.

I don't care for the old one that much, but holy shit does the new one look stupid. I get they're going for crazy horror clown but he looks like an edgy retard. Those buck teeth are going to make me laugh whenever he smiles in the movie. His outfit is pretty bland for a clown too. Mostly though I can't see him saying all the stupid jokes it says in the book. I just see him trying to be super edgy.

If my memory is correct, the whole "It" story takes place in the end of the 50´s, clowns looked more like the Tim Curry Pennywise back then; the 2017 Pennywise looks like a clown from like a 150 years ago or more, in other words, ilogical to the time of the story

Is there a name for when they try to make a character look more menacing by having them tilt their head downward while looking straight ahead?

Every time I see it I want to puke and automatically assume the director is a hack.

It is a shit no matter what.

Apparently the costume designer was going for an older style of clown partly to show how long IT has been doing what he does. Still looks too obviously mincing, the creepy thing about the curry version is that he looks like a regular clown at a first glance.

Why is he making that stupid face? Is it supposed to look scary?

The old Pennywise was creepy on a more subtle level.

Just because it is temporally innacurate doesn't make it necessarily bad.

i loved the original show and pennywise.
havent seen the new show, but the design of pennywise is awfull.

the kubrick stare ot even the norman bates stare.

Yes it does. Categorically so.

If SR-71 Blackbirds or AC-130's were in a WWI film it would make the movie bad, the decision to make the planes that bad, it makes everything bad.

The 2017 script specifically says he's a 18th century clown. So it was planned from the get go for him to look like that. In the book he's described as being a cross between Bozo and Ronald Mcdonald.

Fuck, thank you user.

why is the left on in a dress? does IT identify as a clowness now?

We're talking about an ancient abomination unknown by mankind that can take any form it wants on Earth to instill fear on its victims. It's not like It wants to fit in wherever it goes. It takes the appearance of a clown, because there are people who are scared by them, and It naturally wants to evoke the scariest elements of clowns from any era. 18th century clown visuals just happen to provide the most of them for its look.

welcome m8
and checked.

hes suposed to look like a clown not bald joker in a dress

>It's not like It wants to fit in wherever it goes.
Confirmed for retard. That is actually the expressed interest of It. It took the form of a clown to get close to the kids without the parents getting (penny)wise. It was terror in plain sight.

You know who is already scared of clowns? kids. You know is normally isn't? adults. So why not look like a mostly innocuous clown that the parents won't think twice about but will put the kids in a fear state instantly. Remember he feeds on the fear.

If its goal was just to kill indiscriminately why doesn't it just stay in the drider form always and turn into something microscopic as its about to be caught? because that isn't his goal. His goal is to amass just the right type of terror and fear he wants to sustain himself. So he finds a way to get close to kids, his favorite meal, without alerting the adults. If new Pennywise shows up at some kids birthday, nope out ensues. Old Pennywise does and he gets let in. Simple as that.

You thematically don't understand the concept that It draws from.

All "sophisticated" opinions in this thread converted into one honest sentence.

If the lighting and the pose were different, they'd have nothing to say.

I don't like being a faggot about source material but the person who designed Pennywise did not read IT.

But it isn't different, this is the tone they have chosen to set, AND show the consumer.
Remember, everything would be good if it wasn't bad.
This is bad. And should rightfully be ascribed as such.

True, but considering that it´s kind of specific in the story, a lot would be dissapointed, and again, it would be kind of illogical, like when they changed the Spider-man costume in "Amazing Spiderman", there was not a good reason to do that, and in the second one, guess what happened? They bring a new costume more accurate to the source material; with Pennywise is the same thing

It doesn´t have to much sense to change his looks, imagine that there´s a novel about a guy who meets a group of guys, and years later, they make a movie about it, but, the group of guys have a 1980´s fashion while the rest of the world is wearing 2017 clothes, does that makes sense to you?

Nope. Costume is still wrong and makeup is far too sinister.

Since when were there intelligent people on this site?

omg this yaasssssss

Church.

Truth hurts when you're a brainlet kid

right looks more scary
hollywood needs to learn about color theory or maybe they do but are too lazy
the one on the left doesnt look scary because its already made scary
the one on the right has color has life so its less expected when he acts demonic

Are you being sarcastic, or you an actual tumblrrite

this! thank you user!

>strange victorian clown in an american suburb doing a "badass" villian pose
>cheap clown costume reminiscent of a clown pedophile who stalks children

right one is so much better

>closer to the book

Curry's hair is red, not orange. The suit isn't silver and there's no big blue tie.

The new one actually is a little closer and has a retro look while suggesting It's true, Spider nature

These threads are all bullshit anyway. They are taking promotional, "look at how scary this is!" Images versus every single moment from the Curry version

Original Pennywise looks like an autistic psychopath and is unsettling as fuck.

New Pennywise looks like every other generic villain in the past 20 years, plus a clown costume.

I don't know, guys. The new one looks dark, nihilistic with a wicked sense of humor

>Go into something knowing it will be a Sisyphean struggle getting people on board with your decision
>act astounded when it doesn't work
Whoddathunkit

edgy, desaturated look, trying too hard to be scary, cheap use of the Kubrick stare.
Is it even a contest?
Curry wins by default, better luck next time.
Everything else in the new trailer was a-ok hopefully will be good

you can't top Tim Curry, but the new guy might be ok if he makes it his own character.

They don't care about all the internet autists. They want Jerome to take his girlfriend

Haven't watched the Tim Curry one and I will neither watch the new one
Fuck your Stephen King bullshit

so scary

I'M THE FIRESTARTER

TWISTED FIRESTARTER.

Which they won't do. Black people don't fuck with clowns. I don't mean they unnerve them or are scary. They don't fuck with clowns. Its a whole different level. I've seen black people leave places clowns are the same way white people leave when blacks show up.
They aren't going to go into the theatre to see it.

Also it has white people in it.

OW AH AH AH AH

whoooooo

>It's true, Spider nature
That was not It's true form, that was just the most a human could comprehend of It.

>Story about a transcendent, reality-bending cosmic monstrosity older than the universe itself who literally lives in a sea of human feces and spends all his time fucking around with an insignificant group of nobodies from a small town in increasingly ridiculous, oblique, and comical ways
Does it really matter what the clown looks like when the premise is this fucking retarded?

>nobody's posted it yet
I'm disappointed in you, tv

What kind of ending shot was this?
youtube.com/watch?v=4u6KXFN9dIg

that forehead

main issue with the new clown is that hes scary to children, and his main target is children. Adults can identify that both characters are demented and untrustworthy, but even a kid can tell the left clown isn't good news.

IF I SEE THAT FUCKING CLOWN ONE MORE TIME...

Clown doesn't matter it only appears for maybe 10 mins of the whole movie. Now the drider better be cool as fucking hell because the last one was kinda shitty.

>Now the drider better be cool
back to /tg/ with you

>So why not look like a mostly innocuous clown that the parents won't think twice about
Isn't it one of the major points of Pennywise that he's only visible to the people he chooses to appear to? His forms are just arbitrary or they conform to his victim's fears. Blending in doesn't matter, he can fully manipulate people's perceptions to his pleasing.

What's the ideal spoopy laughing clown sound, /tv?

Yeah I said this in another thread. Any kid over the age of like 3 would know to stay away from the new one. Tim Curry had bright colours and a more innocent look that kids could trust imo

He legit looks like the not-joker from gotham

>Implying the clown isn't the form he's in for most of the times we see him

Even King confirmed it was a drider. Thanks for keeping up. The Spider vs Drider Wars of 2016 are over, Driders won.
2017 is the year of the Drider

Yes, he has the most screen time around 10 mins.
But there are several other scenes as the werewolf, paul bunyan, the leper, and lil georgie. Then when they fight him in the sewers his drider form gets revealed after they spray him with ... well, I won't expose that bit but it's not an inhaler this time around.

The only reason he is "invisible" to the people he doesn't want to feed on is because to them he doesn't look terrifying. He isn't invisible or ethereal, you just don't notice it. And his forms are anything BUT arbitrary. They are crafted expertly for the niche he supports - fear eating.

He is always there, but yes each person will only see a representation of what he wants to exude. What he appears as is directly related to who he wants to feed on. Children fear clowns so its good, adults typically aren't, so its also good.

He still has to actually be there to feed though, so he still has to actually be physical (relatively).

They tried so hard to make it scary when the whole point of what made it scary was that deep down it shouldn't really be scary in the first place. It's just a normal clown to kids but it's unnerving to see a clown stare at you or laugh at you. Having IT run at you like a screeching baboon isn't

The new one is better, duh. In the trailer stormdrain scene he has a bashful cutesie smile and looks child-like instead of a 40 year old fat pedophile. His voice in this scene will no doubt be more along the lines of "perfectly reasonable" than "40 packs a day - piss in my mouth". I think there's another photo where his eyes change from yellow to blue, if so that's a nice detail.

Perfect.

>mfw being this stupid
He is an ILLUSION.
He's not a physical character.
The drider is hidden in the sewers and he gets the kids by luring or chasing them to sewer openings. Just like the shower drain scene in the original.

This version isn't a clown. It's meant to look like one of those porcelain clown dolls kids had as toys. Which use to be rather popular and are rather creepy looking.

>The only reason he is "invisible" to the people he doesn't want to feed on is because to them he doesn't look terrifying. He isn't invisible or ethereal, you just don't notice it.
Then how the hell do you explain the scene where Richie is in the library and Pennywise summons like a hundred fucking balloons filled with blood and screams dumb jokes at the top of his lungs?

Or every other fucking part where weird, unwordly shit happens and no one notices but one of the protagonists?

this is creepier than either movie

wtf

I mean look at this great scene youtu.be/OPdDdC4go6c?t=20s. He tries to reel him and then shows his true colours once he has him. In the new trailer he already looks fucking evil, like straight off the bat he's got that bucktoothed grin on his face

It gets more weaker when people dont fear it. So its logical that it wants to hide in some small town.

We all float down here Georgie

Are people even *really* afraid of clowns? It seems like just something people do to get attention or look cute. Every time I see somebody acting afraid of clowns it's some basic bitch, and everyone she's with is eating it up.

Bunch of bullshit if you ask me. How are clowns scary in the least bit?

>mfw they fuck up the clown from the get go

His eyes are probably already blue, bub.

If that was the goal then they should have made him up to look like this guy They just tried too hard to make him an evil clown instead of just making a regular clown, which is evil by default.

Down here we all REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I'll elaborate. It's methods are tailored, the illusion is tailored. TO THE VICTIM he is physically there or else the effect wouldn't really have an affectation. No one else experiences it because THEY AREN'T THE INTENDED VICTIM.

That all loops back to why he appears as a clown, and not a terrible movie version that would scare a child and would never have them engage IT. Just a mostly normal unsettling clown.

I still explained it poorly this time around and won't bother replying.

REEEEEEEEEEE

> No one else experiences it because THEY AREN'T THE INTENDED VICTIM.
Okay, so it's exactly what I fucking said. He only appears to those he chooses. Are you retarded or something? It's not that difficult of a concept to grasp or explain.