Srsly though guys, does anyone actually unironically think this film is really that great of a film?

Srsly though guys, does anyone actually unironically think this film is really that great of a film?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sFBhR4QcBtE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I guess if you don't mind subtitles. The English dub is completely awful.

It's ok.

I think people here liked it because it was their first fap or something.

I always thought it was an over rated film from the dark age of anime. The manga was more entertaining.

No.
The fight against the tank at the end was the only part I really liked.

It's pretty good. Why do you think it's bad?

it really isnt that good 6/10

>all these hipster contrarians
Jesus

what make it so good? all the ideas in it were made before and better in better movies

I guess you're a stupid nigger? Is it really that hard to follow for a cyber punk film? Go see ScarJew's. I'm sure its more your speed. ;3

Animation is the art of bringing life to inanimate shapes and figures on a page. Taken as the sum of their parts, none of the shapes that make up characters by Chuck Jones, or Osamu Tezuka, or John Kricfalusi seem like much, but put them through a few basic principles of animation and they seem more lively and empathetic than you or me.

The approach taken by the Ghost in the Shell movie kind of seems like the opposite. Realistic figures that could be called a human, are made to move and act flatly, awkwardly, in all the wrong places. A large chunk of the time they are rotoscoped, poorly. A direction which makes no sense in anime, a medium that can be exaggerated and stretched and symbolic and meaningless. Ghost in the Shell takes these figures and removes any character they might have, makes them less than human. Ghost in the Shell calls this realism.

Paired with this desire to be realistic is a desire to be "mature". The film's idea of maturity being tits, guns, and grimaces. The full extent of the protagonist's character, is that she is a grimacing girl with a gun, her tits out, and robotic powers, all of these are fully apparent on the cover box art. The city this takes place in, which could have been an imaginative, sprawling Cyperpunk dystopia, seems more like Cleveland, Ohio at it's most dreary and dilapidated.

The premise behind this story feels more like the opening text crawl to the Phantom Menace than anything else. We're given little reason to care why these characters are shooting at each other beyond some in universe jargon and tired, "intelligent" tropes of transhumanism and hollywood hacking we're just expected to go with. I don't mind a world full of terminology and vague plotlines, one of my favorite Anime is Serial Experiments Lain, but at least there we have a world and a thematic landscape worth getting lost in, here we just have what could be a fanfiction of a fanfiction of a reboot of a rip-off.

tl;dr: 1/5 at best

It had a mediocre plot, but people give it high marks for completely replacing Gibson's work as the defining setting for cyberpunk and transhumanism.

>reading copypaste garbage bait
(You) tried.

Yes
Solid 9/10
Fucking contrarians

I couldn't finish it when I was 14 and it had god damn tits in it. Awful
Stand Alone Complex had good music

>contrarians:((
If you use the word "contrarian," you're literally an idiot. It's a concept invented by idiots with reddit sensibilities who are too fragile to deal with criticism of mediocre media that has widespread appeal.

It's a troubling manifestation of millennials' mental weakness. Seriously, the only people who would even entertain any "argument" involving the concept of being "contrarian" are weak, lazy idiots who can't deal with criticism substantively. If it bothers you that much that people criticize mediocre mass-marketed work designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator, like Star Wars, Breaking Bad, Kanye, etc., you should find a safe bubble and stay there. Or kill yourself.

Posting in a bait bread.

this

SAC is the real masterpiece

>If it bothers you that much that people criticize mediocre mass-marketed work designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator
So the new Scarjew film which just steals everything from better source materials with a watered down story, and bland actress?

it's a good tribute to the original anime but as a stand alone movie, its just ok

I haven't seen it because this one was a piece of trash so sure?

>Srsly though guys, does anyone actually unironically think this film is really that great of a film?

Yes

So your "opinion" is objectively useless.

lel, even the summary calls it entry level pleb shit

>it's a good tribute to the original anime
>tribute to the original anime
>original anime
>anime

>offers a thoughtful, complex treat for anime fans, as was as a perfet introduction for viewers new to the genre
Yeah, totally is all it says nigger. Yet it must be to "smart" for idiots then. People have really become stupider over the decades if even this animated feature that was possessively to introduce new themes goes over your heads.

haha

It was one of the first popular adult animes in America that wasn't neutered for children. Oh, and the art is objectively pretty amazing too. Unfortunately, in the year 2017 it suffers from the "Seinfeld isn't funny" trope, and people who parrot old opinions of it being one of the best ever doesn't help. 'Cuz yeah, there's been better... but, it was pretty goddamn cool in the early 90s. You kids have no idea how much easier it is to find translated anime in the West now than it was back when everybody was saying how amazing GitS was in 1995.

Ironic actually. That the new movie is a solid turd in comparison. GitS(1996) is legit kino. When you see the scarjew movie, the dumbing down of movies is real.

yes, as in not the manga or the later anime movies/tv series

My problem with it is it has way too much exposition, and rather than using subtlety to put across its themes, it just preaches them through the dialogue like it's a church sermon, that's not good writing.

It's like, you know how in Atlas Shrugged Ayn Rand just preaches her capitalist libertarian philosophy?

It's like, imagine you wanted a movie that explored themes of racism, and in the middle of it there was this long speech on how racism is bad explaining everything

That's dumb

youtube.com/watch?v=sFBhR4QcBtE

>"kino"
>"legit"
"legit kino"
please don't talk to me child of Sup Forums

you can always go reminisce about dad rock on reddit, grandpa

they also said "ghost" and "shell" waaaaayy too much

this

>rotoscoped

however wrote this is beyond retarded

The shape of those tits in that poster always bothered me.

point me to the anime made before this movie

I'll wait

It was great at the time but has dated.
You have to remember there was little to no anime easily available and a lot less scifi around in general. Much of its hype was because of its form.

The only reason the original GITS was so successful in the West is because the main female character gets full frontal. In the live-action remake, she does not go full-frontal, and hence did not do very well.

^This. The VHS days were a nightmare for anime fans. Paying $20 bucks for two to four episodes of badly dubbed and censored anime or $30 bucks for hastily subbed anime that was already five years old by the time of release was the norm.