/Horror/ General

List your top five and be mocked by teenyboppers who've never seen anything scarier than a PG-13 American remake or their molester's mottled cock accompanied by the whirring of his Super 8 camera.

By the way, mine are pic related, Texas Chainsaw, Exorcist, The Shining, and a cheesy 70's film I refused to name because one day I will remakes it as a new horror template that will rest alongside it's rightful place with the all-time best (if not "the best") scary movies ever.

Been plotting this awhile and even have a bit of a rep in filmmaking circles; I must be faded to be talking about it on fucking /here/.

Anyway, Horror thread. Top fives, whine about 'it', cool shit on Netflix, awesome concepts poorly executed for more shit I can steal, and whatever.

Horror General. All things horror, and let's keep it going after this gets deleted after 8 posts. There has to be more horror fans than (insert lame Sup Forums gen) fans here, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkk566qrh9gZ9IuNKyL4neCy0HUtTOGEv
youtu.be/vc-LBnkH_RI
m.youtube.com/watch?v=ulzSWLGw9HI
youtu.be/mDHisWRsE98
youtu.be/OnbL-fBp0p0
youtu.be/yngGjSgztJ0
youtu.be/f7x12cHBSb0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Inside (2007) Full Movie: youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkk566qrh9gZ9IuNKyL4neCy0HUtTOGEv

If you lack the patience for an entire french film dubbed in Alvin and the Chipmunks, watch this on mute (or with Behemoth or Electric Wizard, if you're a lowlife junkie))
youtu.be/vc-LBnkH_RI
...Then give the rest a shot.

You can only cast one man as Herbert West/Victor Frankenstein/That Russian fucker.

Dafoe or Buscemi?

I don't know if I can name my favorite 5 of the top of my head, but I feel that pic related gets too little credit.

It's horror-adventure-kino.

Y'all should watch this.

It's pretty boring, BUT, the last ten minutes are worth it.
And the last scene is for me one of the most haunting ending scene I've seen in a long time, one of the most disturbing thing I've ever seen.

"YOU SAID IT WASN'T REAL"

Saw it when it was released, not bad. Some very good ideas here and here.

Fuck I remember that, but did I see it under a different title?

I quite like the pseudo-documentary horror, and it's not a trope I'm quite willing to send away just yet.

If I recall it had a very Lovecraftian ending, and its so cool when movies dare do that. So many horror movies either end with the protagonists escaping, or the protagonists dying "mysteriously".

Why not just go full Lord of Darkness with it?

Solid 8/10 movie.

Posting a few cool scenes from some classics, and then maybe this can take off.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ulzSWLGw9HI

Does I Saw The Devil count? It's not supernatural horror, but it has some gore and horror elements. Also, A Tale of Two Sisters is one of mine as well. It's kind of slow and doesnt really have a ton of stuff going on, but I liked the atmosphere.
Can anyone recommend any good atmospheric horror movies? I don't care for jumpscares, but I don't mind them if they fit. I'd love some supernatural ghost stuff, like P.T.(the silent hills demo)

Dog Soldiers
Sweet Home
The Wailing
Rigor Mortis
The Thing

No particular order, just the top 5 that came to my head as being interesting or fun.

1. Inside (op related)
2. Glengarry Glen Ross
3. Hellraiser.
4. Sleepaway Camp.
5. The Ring.

Top five

Herzog's nosferatu
The house with the laughing windows
Tenebre
The shining
Vargtimmen

Rec me something to watch tonight

Torso

I really enjoyed. I think the production values looked a little too low at times but I can forgive it for actually drawing me in.

Also, I loved the ending. Having a kinda happy ending was refreshing as fuck in a genre that's stagnated in the same cliches and tropes for such a long time.

It's also called " Final prayers". Maybe you've seen it under this title :) And indeed the ending is very lovecraftian. And scary as fuck.

>Dog Soldiers

This is such a fun slasher/comedy/horror thing. It's a horror movie that doesn't take itself too seriously, and that's kinda' novel.

Wasn't really all that scary though, but still got a 10/10 for atmosphere.

Are you alright? You sound like you have autism.
I mean it's great you made a horror thread and all, but having your OP post just be venting about benign bullshit was cringey to read.
>and a cheesy 70's film I refused to name
Holy shit dude.
> teenyboppers who've never seen anything scarier than a PG-13 American remake
I hope you're not implying only edgy gore-fests are scary.

Anyway, top five is The Shining, Suspiria, Halloween, Don't Look Now, Black Christmas

Yeah I was actually not expecting them to get out alive.

Like you said, it sometimes felt like it was on a bit of a budget, but some of the stuff in it was pretty well done. An user here once called it "National Treasure: Fuck Disney, Hell Awaits Edition", and I kinda' agree with that.

Despite delicious memes, I actually really liked a lot of the acting and the premise of this movie. The setting was really nice too.

Too bad it wasn't particularly scary, as much as creepy.

see

Check these middle 3 as they are some interesting Asian horrors.

Particularly the Wailing given your taste in the other Korean flicks.

I made a few threads about this when it came out and everyone shat on it. I stand by it and think it was one of the more underrated gems of last year.

>tfw the "monster" wasn't a metaphor but an actual fucking monster

Awesome, much appreciated

I kinda liked the start and ending, but everybody in it behaved like a total fucking retard.

sleep tight
triangle
frontiers

Triangle is such top-tier. It leans more towards thriller than horror, but the thriller elements are so fucking perfectly executed that it's mindblowing the first time you watch it.

I liked it too. The isolation and declining mental health of the family was more unsettling alone than any other horror I'd seen around the time. They were pretty damn committed to those accents.

Since there are some Argento fans here, what do you guys think of the twist in Deep Red? Was it fucking ballsy or do you remember it being obvious and missing its mark?

Top five:
Jacob's Ladder
The Omen
The Witch
The Wicker Man
Freaks

Rate

>Jacob's Ladder
Meh, I know a lot of people liked it, but I thought it was pretty boring.

>The Omen
The old Omen movies were amazing in their own way. If you mean the reboot you should end it all.

>The Witch
Pretty solid movie. Not top kino, but the actors did a good job and the creepiness was all there.

>The Wicker Man
Haven't seen.

>Freaks
An acquired taste, to say the least. I loved it, but a lot of people I meet downright HATE this movie.

7/10 - above average taste, but nothing to write home about.

1. Rec
2. The Mist
3. Fright Night
4. Martyrs
5. The Thing

The boss rush mode ending kind of annoyed me because it diminished their accomplishments but until then it nailed the claustrophobic atmosphere you'd expect from the setting, can't believe people shit on I for a few missteps

Top 5, probably pleb-core
>A Nightmare on Elm Street
>The Thing
>The Eye (the Japanese version; the only movie I've paused and watched in two parts because I got so spooked although the ending shit the bed)
>The House of the Devil
>The Texas Chain Saw Massacre

Obviously I mean the original Omen, Gregory Pick did a fantastic job as a the paranoid father. You haven't seen The Wicker Man? I advise you watch it, the original is fantastic just avoid the shit that is the Nicolas Cage version.

>can't believe people shit on I for a few missteps

This movie has gotten torn a thousand new assholes for the most trivial shit. I read one review that went miles and miles out of its way to write 3 paragraphs about how the movie misrepresented the French, and how that was a huge breaking point for the movie.

Seriously, we're never gonna' get anything like it again because critics are mongoloids.

What do you think is the greatest jumpscare in horror? I would either go with don't look now or inland empire

I just might do that this weekend user. Thanks. Oh and
>Nicolas Cage
>in horror
>ever

No thank you to that version!

I thought Wicker Man was a good Mystery, detective film but not really scary. Except for the ending

The beginning of The Descent. That really stuck with me

It's tough not going with something more classic but I have to give it to The Exorcist III.

It didn't set any standards and it wasn't particularly new but that fucked me up worse than the stair scene in the first movie.

Was it just me, or did it seem WAYYY too easy to get out of Hell? Scary as fuck lead-up, though.

youtu.be/mDHisWRsE98

Temped to make a Baron joke, but just too depressed.

The films that managed to really scare me are Rosemarys Baby, Jacob's Ladder and Texas Chainsaw Massacre (all time favorite movie) from what I can remember

>>The Wicker Man
>Haven't seen.

Missing out massively.

Mine's:

>the above-mentioned Wicker Man
>The Thing (cliche pick but it's just so good)
>28 days later
>Pontypool
>Carriers

I think I just like how bleak the outcome is Summerisle is fucked because the sacrifice won't work, so he's going to get mauled to death by the villagers come the next harvest, the village is implied to be doomed since the harvest clearly won't work since the detective mentioned how the soil isn't sufficient enough for farming. Not a good outcome for anyone really.

Getting out of hell required you take a leap down a shaft that was provably deep enough to kill you.

Standing in front of that kinda' jump and being able to find even a single good reason to do it is much harder than you'd think.

The cleverness of the escape though, came from them wanting to go up, and having to go down.

Take this huge alteration in the laws of physics and the knowing that you were going to die if you jumped down a distance that long, and twist it around the knowledge that you were going down when you wanted to go up and you suddenly have a very strong case AGAINST jumping.

The fact that they somehow convinced themselves to jump is nothing short of a miracle.

Is Pan's Labyrinth considered a horror movie? I've never seen it, but have been looking for more to watch.

Movies don't need to be scary to qualify as horror. "Scary" is an individual perception, "horror" is a genre.

True, but in order to be categorized as "horror" doesn't (or shouldn't) a movie need to fulfill that perception?

Shouldn't the movie actually have to BE scary to be considered horror?

That's the difference between a thriller and a horror. If a movie is thrilling but not scary, it's a thriller.

But that's the point of horror movies, to get a reaction out of the viewer

Yeah, I remember avoiding it when it first released because of reviews, but I think people were defending it on here and I gave it a shot and it was a solid watch.

Fuck, I watched this with about 20 friends in high school, we had a sleepover, and the whole room nearly died at that scene because almost nobody was really paying attention. I was watching the movie and it got me, the guys that were playfighting on the floor scrambled apart in terror, someone dropped food and a few more screamed. We changed the movie and I watched it on my own a while later. I'll never forget how much it got everyone. 10/10

Not really true horror but spoopy as fuck with some pretty brutal violence and great atmosphere, definitely recommend it

The Descent was ONLY good for the way it provided claustrophobia.

The monster-aspect was totally meaningless, unneeded and boring.

Especially when the movie proved so early on that it knew how to really nail the sense of being stuck between two rock walls.

Jesus that shit was creepy.

>get spooked
>change the film

What the fuck? Why were you watching a horror film if you didn't want to be scared

>Shouldn't the movie actually have to BE scary to be considered horror?

No. Horror means having horror imagery, themes etc. Whether they get a reaction out of you or not is besides the point.

I think there's no real point in nitpicking though. These things are not set in stone, but I'm personally against insisting on the personal factor. My brother thought Harry Potter 1 was scary when he was really young. Doesn't make it a horror movie.

Is Threads a horror movie? No it's not, but it's fucking horrific.

Is Dawn of the Dead (the new one) a horror movie? Yes, because it features horror themes and gore. Is it scary? Of course not.

I really hated the second one since it needed to confirm to idiot normalfags whether the monsters were real or not. I liked the subtleness of the first movie where the monsters were implied to be a result of the claustrophobia.

Here's an unpopular opinion.

The concept of being stuck in a place that bends time, reality and direction so completely is deeply appealing to me, and this movie rubbed that itch so right.

Does anyone know if there are any other movies that deal with the passage of time and the exploring places that don't seem to have any exits or any such thing?

I love these physics-fucking horror movies.

I agree that the cave exploring scenes made me feel uneasy, but it had to go somewhere from there.

Cube?

No see, it really didn't. It could have gone the far more realistic route of "cave explorers explore caves, get lost, and have to force their bodies through increasing claustrophobic trauma to get out". Add oxygen or food deprivation to keep the tempo up and you've suddenly got something.

They could literally have said "fuck it" to the monsters all together and probably come out with a much better movie because of it.

>The monster-aspect was totally meaningless, unneeded and boring.

I agree with this so much. Caves are fucking scary, you don't need Smeagols to make them scarier, that just ruins it,

I would've had no problems if the monsters were hinted at, but blatantly showing them and having them attack in plain sight was wack.

Nah Cube was just "super advanced science lol xD". It didn't bend time or space, it just made the occupants feel like it because everything looked the same and they had no watches.

Inside was a total shitshow. Every single action taken by the stupid cops when they come back to the house are so over the top ridiculous and inept that it really dragged me out of the movie.

This, on the other hand, was pure French extreme kinography.

Read House of Leaves.

It was HELL, though. You're talking about it like it's a choice like the idiot in Frozen who jumps off the ski-lift, breaks his legs, and gets ate.

Been a while since I saw it, but I remember them going through a hole in the wall that literally closed up with stone behind them, trapping them in fucking HELL to face their tormenters for eternity.

Then one bitch answers a phone and says "Hey pop, sorry I didn't answer the phone when you tried to call before acing yourself, but I'm here now! Love ya, big guy!"

Then another prick says something like, "Oh shit, I knocked some broad up and told her the kid wasn't mine but I knew it was. Damn, I was a dick!"

Then they crawl out of the sewers like roaches. Granted, it's been a while since I've seen it, but ABSB could have been legit top 10 GOAT if it could have just unfucked that last half-hour. Dropped it from 8.75 to solid 7.

I thought I was getting into a revenge movie, boy was I wrong
that scene where Anna pulls out those bolts or staples? Off that girls steel mask then pulling it off almost made me puke

The Blair witch project, they were in a loop

Top 5 in no particular order

Class of nuke em high
Scream
Nightmare on elm street
Return of the living dead 3
Friday the 13th part 2

You're talking to a guy that used 'spoopy' as an adjective.Do the math.

I loved both Inside and Martyrs desu

>It could have gone the far more realistic route of "cave explorers explore caves, get lost, and have to force their bodies through increasing claustrophobic trauma to get out". Add oxygen or food deprivation to keep the tempo up and you've suddenly got something.
La cueva did this. Pretty bad film though.

There is Cube 2: Hypercube that is some space-time fuckery, but that movie is a goddamn blur and all I can remember is the final scene.

Idk we just wanted casual gory fun horror in the background, not something that would make us piss ourselves if we didn't pay attention

I think the monsters were okay, as said here the monsters were allegorical. Although I did like the sequel as a standalone film.

Martyrs actually bored me desu, and the ending was so damn unsurprising that I felt like I'd wasted my time.

Go spoop yourself, we were teenagers high on sugar and testosterone, we didn't want to actually be scared

The breakfast scene is probably one of the most visceral and jarring moments of cinema violence that I can remember.

I just cant stand it when characters make such patently ridiculous decisions that it gets them killed. I thought the concept was really good, but the cops reminded me of the slapstick cops in the original Last House on the Left.

It seems you misspelled 'part 4'

youtu.be/OnbL-fBp0p0

Pure kino

My top 5 is:

>Dracula's Daughter
>Bride of Frankenstein
>Phantom of the Opera
>King Kong
>The Exorcist

Exorcist III has the best jumpscare ever, imo.

Top 5 Horror
>Martyrs
>The Wailing
>Wicker Man
>Spalovac Mrtvol
>The Incredible Torture Show (Bloodsucking Freaks)
>Driller Killer
>Evilenko

Most of those are only part horror so it works out.

Agreed. Inside was weak.

Pleb opinion. 2 is classic Friday. 4 was so forgettable.

Although I appreciate everything he did for the genre, sometimes I think we missed the boat on Tom Savini the actor

youtu.be/yngGjSgztJ0

If you haven't seen pic related then watch it. Even has George costanza in it.

Most recent one I've watched which was very good.

Brian Cox is such a great actor.

this nice Friday the13th rip-off
it really is worth watching

2 had arguably the best scene in the series, and the opening kill was top 10, but final chapter shat on it. You're judging art by strokes and not totality, a firm indicator of either youth or ignorance.

Shit ending, fuck that whore and her sexy body.

CLAIMED

Latecomers go away

I never liked horror much but I've heard so much about classics like The Thing and I've been visiting the genre the last couple of days. I watched and loved The Mist and The Thing in that order yesterday and I'm about to watch Splinter because it sounds like the fusion of those two.

So I guess my top 5 is
The Mist
The Thing
The Silence of the Lambs
The Others
Alien

I watched final chapter last year and can't remember anything about it other than the Jason kill at the end. I enjoyed 2 more. Final chapter is arguably better but I prefer 2.

One of my favorite Meta sequels

Solid 8. Great acting, and another reason to swear off trailers forever.

I almost feel bad for /got/ actors. Who wants to be typecast as 'creepy leechlord who flays fuckers'?

Then the other fool robbing banks with pedokid on black mirror-damn. Almost feel bad for them until I think of how they make their comfortable livings...

Fuck I've been meaning to man. I've really been meaning to.

in no particular order

hellraiser
28 days later
prince of darkness
evil dead
the road

Fair enough. Only an idiot would say that 2 didn't have the best scene in the series but yeah, final chapter still holds the crown.

Hellbound is one of the rare sequels that rivals/tops the original. I love Barker, and he absolutely killed it with Hellraiser 2. If you haven't seen it, do so. The scene where Channard gives the mental patient who thinks bugs are crawling all over his skin a straight razor to bring Julia back is crazy. Frank's still pulling his bullshit and Pinhead is still around...Worth a watch.

youtu.be/f7x12cHBSb0

Is this any good? Had it downloaded awhile and just haven't been able to bring myself to watch it since he overdosed. Too sad.

It's good but it isn't really horror

The Thing
Alien
Kill List
Jacob's Ladder
Shutter

I feel like i've seen all the decent horror, so i've been trying to read some. Seems like there is just as much shit horror books as there is movies.

What do you guys think of Grave Encounters?
I'm watching it for the 3rd or 4th time now and i still absolutely love it.
Even Grave Encounters 2, which is absolute garbage, had some fantastic moments.
The part where they go back to the hotel and the elevator opens up and they're back in the asylum was absolutely fantastic.

agreed user
lord of illusions is another barker classic

I love the hellscape in this, the labyrinth, the matte paintings. Great flick.

sutter cane...

>Shutter
I hope you're not talking about the horseshit American remake

proudly brought to you by the alaskan tourism commission...
please visit alaska!
especially in winter, plenty of good food and good cheer for all and smiles all around!